Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is FFXIV always so quiet?

Loving FFXIV, and the new expac looks really great!

But one thing I have a problem with is that it is so quiet. Mind you, I come from WoW where they have a lovely world chat system (LookingForGroup). Even when alone, the world seems populated because there is always people talking.

But FFXIV seems so lonely to me.

The chatter in FF is mostly contained to Free companies and Linkshells (private chat channels) You wont see much, if any zone chat outside the popular player hubs. The novice network can also be pretty chatty, though that channel likes to flux between good and horrific depending on server.

I'd call FF a "social group game" as in, like the other person said, people are social in their free companies and link shells. Bout the only thing you'll see in public channels is Hunt announcements "Rank B in South Shroud!" or FATE announcements "Odin up!". There's a lot of people playing, but you're going to need to find a group that suits you if you want the social aspect.

You can make chat channels called 'linkshells' that are invite only. People tend to use those, nobody wants another barrens chat.

Deleted
    Yeah ffxiv has the same chat activity just not in random shouting. Most people talk in linkshells and in their free companies. If I show you my chat at peak hours it looks like a total freaking mess.

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    Yeah ffxiv has the same chat activity just not in random shouting. Most people talk in linkshells and in their free companies. If I show you my chat at peak hours it looks like a total freaking mess.
    The silence is one of the things that is keeping me from really getting into FFXIV. I'm still keeping my WoW subscription because of the world chat. If it wasn't for that, I would dump WoW because I really don't like where the game is going.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    The silence is one of the things that is keeping me from really getting into FFXIV. I'm still keeping my WoW subscription because of the world chat. If it wasn't for that, I would dump WoW because I really don't like where the game is going.
    First time I've heard of that. Quite impressive.

But yeah, you won't find such "freature" in FFXIV - people use Linkshells, Free Company chat/discord/skype or whatever. There's no melting pot like that.

Deleted
    I mean literally all it takes is to get into an fc and a few linkshells and there you have it XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Every time I was in town, chat was spammed with gil sellers. I would usually see many people running around, but as has been mentioned, people really don't use the main chat channels in this game much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Dungeons and raids tend to get really chatty, if you're looking for more of the WoW-style experience. It's also not uncommon on my server for one person's /shout to start a whole conversation, or for people to put up partyfinder groups just to have social experiences. There are also a number of discord servers for finding people to hang out with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still keeping my WoW subscription because of the world chat.
    LoL and here I am, having public chats disabled since way back when Burning Crusade was new, because the moronic spam annoyed me so much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hanhula View Post
    Dungeons and raids tend to get really chatty.
    Unless people bitch to each other about who failed what: nope. It's pretty quiet apart from a hello and a "gg" at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post

Unless people bitch to each other about who failed what: nope. It's pretty quiet apart from a hello and a "gg" at the end.
    I've noticed that if I'm the one that initiates a conversation there's almost always at least 2 people that join in

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Loving FFXIV, and the new expac looks really great!

But one thing I have a problem with is that it is so quiet. Mind you, I come from WoW where they have a lovely world chat system (LookingForGroup). Even when alone, the world seems populated because there is always people talking.

But FFXIV seems so lonely to me.
    Might just be your server, Balmung is always talking

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My Chat boxes are primarily Whispers, Party, 2 linkshells and my Free Company. I don't even have any other chats visible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kurve1776 View Post
    I've noticed that if I'm the one that initiates a conversation there's almost always at least 2 people that join in
    Yeah in Roulettes I find people are just shy about starting a conversation, but once one has started people will chat.

- - - Updated - - -

Find a Linkshell for something you have a common interest in. I'm part of an OCE linkshell on a JP server (for Ping reasons) and it it always basically full of people online and has quite a lot of chatter.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    I see a lot of people here explaining why it is so quiet but not many giving an alternative that a new player can use to experience some sort of community in the game.

I'm a new player too, don't know anyone in the game. Don't have a guild to chat in, don't have friends to invite me to their guild or linkshells, and the novice chat also requires to either play enough to become a veteran to get access or be invited by someone else to it so not really accessible to real novices. Ul'dah is empty most of the time I play and the few people I see there or out in the world are always in a hurry.

What in game options does a new player have to actually meet people in the game and be social?
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    Might just be your server, Balmung is always talking
    I'm on Balmung. Pretty quiet to me. But I'm not in an FC or have any linkshells.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    I'm a new player too, don't know anyone in the game. Don't have a guild to chat in, don't have friends to invite me to their guild or linkshells, and the novice chat also requires to either play enough to become a veteran to get access or be invited by someone else to it so not really accessible to real novices. Ul'dah is empty most of the time I play and the few people I see there or out in the world are always in a hurry.

What in game options does a new player have to actually meet people in the game and be social?
    I have to agree with this. Seems you have to be "in the know" to know what to look for. Not unusual. How can a new person really know where to look?

But gad I really am enjoying the game itself!

10+ Year Old Account
    I see a lot of people here explaining why it is so quiet but not many giving an alternative that a new player can use to experience some sort of community in the game.

I'm a new player too, don't know anyone in the game. Don't have a guild to chat in, don't have friends to invite me to their guild or linkshells, and the novice chat also requires to either play enough to become a veteran to get access or be invited by someone else to it so not really accessible to real novices.
    It's been explained in at least two threads, and then you go on and say that you aren't a part of them. Guilds and linkshells. As far as the novice thing goes, I'm pretty sure you can turn that off, but don't quote me on it. Been a long time.

....Did you seriously just ask that? Do social things, duh? Do random dungeons and talk to people. Look for people to do leves with. Look for people to do quests with. Do things that involve being social. Does that really need to be said?

It's always funny watching a room full of people complain that there's nobody to talk to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    LoL and here I am, having public chats disabled since way back when Burning Crusade was new, because the moronic spam annoyed me so much.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have public chat disabled, but it's in a separate tab that I don't care about or read so functionally identical.

I also don't see many chatty raids/dungeons, that's not to say they haven't occurred, but they're definitely no majority of my experience. I'd posit straight up silent ones make up my majority, even though I say hi all at the beginning once everyone loads.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    ....Did you seriously just ask that? Do social things, duh? Do random dungeons and talk to people.
    I probably haven't unlocked LFD yet I think or missed the tutorial prompt somehow. Though judging by the reply above me it seems it'll be just as silent but I'll try when I can do it. I like chatting up people in dungeons in WoW too.

Look for people to do leves with. Look for people to do quests with.
    That's exactly what I'm trying to do. How do you do those things without the active chat channels that you'd normally use in WoW for? Because as I said before I rarely see any people around me and if I do it's never for long. It could just be the servers I've tried so far are low pop I guess. Tried to look in the wiki but seems most options are invite only. Figured asking here could yield better answers or maybe even meet nice players.

It's always funny watching a room full of people complain that there's nobody to talk to.
    It's more of being in an empty room and just asking the vets here if there's other ways of reaching out to people in the game that aren't in the same room. If things like these seem obvious to you that's great, I'm just a new player wondering about these things (and seems the OP is too) and maybe what seems obvious to you isn't to everyone. No need to act superior or try to mock others you know. :\
    Last edited by Hyral; 2018-11-26 at 02:47 PM.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

My advice would be to ask around for an invite to a social linkshell that focuses on things like treasure maps, roulettes and hunts. A lot of people playing FFXIV are pretty chatty, but not in public chat channels. Most of my in-game chatter stems from the hunt linkshell I'm in, followed by my free company's chat.

Just bear in mind that you might have to do a bit of digging to find the 'right' one for you.