Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    My experience is the only one that matters to me.
    Sure, but don't expect PvE Guilds to carry you through MC/Ony/BWL when you're throwing Fireball at bosses that are immune to Fire. And don't come complaining when no PvP Guilds will accept you because you insist on playing Prot Warrior for Battleground*.

Those who only cares about their own experience in Vanilla either runs solo, or they will only have the experience of being rejected and denied.

*Unless they are only doing WSG and you're the designated flag carrier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    The problem is the context. He said its fun to have underdog cards in the context of finding a deck or future meta where a "bad" card could excel at through a mechanic that you thought of(or was recently added). For example Purify is a bad/underdog card(and was widely condemned on release), but was made more viable via cards later added that allowed silence priest to rise to popularity.

In Vanilla WOW this is not the case. You know how classes will be, and they will never change. There won't be a patch tomorrow buffing the feral druid or changing ret paladins. This is a problem because while it might be fun at release, in the long term you are just making your char less successful(worse at pvp, raiding, farming gold etc). To give you an example, imagine if Hearthstone never got any expansions and we still played the original game - would priest really be fun when you would lose the 10th game in a row?
    this is why it took me years to reroll of my paladin. the hope that the next patch would actually let me be the paladin as described in the blurb on the class select wass better than the idea of spending months and months leveling a new char, in hindsight i would have had a far better time of simply logging out, deleting the pala and starting again as soon as i dinged 60 and realized i was a buff bot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zulatomten View Post
    I've noticed a trend here that people tell others that they should play a "viable" spec instead of a spec they actually want to play.

If you want to play one of the "viable" spec/class, then go ahead, please do so.
    But if someone doesn't want to, why should they do what you want them to do?
    This is the first official chance of playing classic again, it's an accomplishment for the community. Shouldn't this be a time to finally let the community experience the game how they wish to play, or how they may have played the first time they had a go at it?

Ben Brode(Previously Hearthstone Game Director) responded to a video about why there are bad cards in Hearthstone where one of the statements were "It's fun to have underdog cards". I think something similar can be said about the bad or "unviable" specs in Classic WoW. It's fun to be a "unviable" spec and do well at it.

Note that I'm not saying that i support any balance change to make the "unviable" specs more viable, just don't see why every priest or (any other class) on the server should be identical to the next because any indiffrences are viewed as sub par.
    its not commands its advice, most of the people saying don't play non viable specs, tried to play non viable specs in vanilla themselves.

for example i played a paladin, i want to play a holy avenger swinging my hammer and smiting my enemy's as what i imagined a paladin was, what i got was a buff bot that could heal a bit. the process of going from that image to what i ended up doing for 3 year of my life was a process of realization via humiliation, taunting, jokes, bullying, rejection and eventually just being so beaten down yet addicted to the game that i spent those many hours a night being bored buffing and healing 39 other people.

its human nature to want to warn others who you see heading for the terrible experience you have suffered. its like being at a party and seeing some one chasing there beers with shots, you know there in for a bad experience, so you warn them. some see that as being a party pooper, usually the ones who want to see them have that bad experience, i see it as just caring about others and wanting them to actually have fun.

its just a warning, nothing more, people are toxic, vanilla was very toxic by the end, especially when it came to playing your char right and group selection, if you play a non viable spec you will get shit for it and it will be a struggle. if you still want to do it fine. just dont fill this forum with bitching when your ret pala keeps getting turned down for groups and raids guilds.
    Last edited by mmoc56f3565a46; 2018-11-28 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nothingsjim View Post
    Sure, but don't expect PvE Guilds to carry you through MC/Ony/BWL when you're throwing Fireball at bosses that are immune to Fire. And don't come complaining when no PvP Guilds will accept you because you insist on playing Prot Warrior for Battleground*.

Those who only cares about their own experience in Vanilla either runs solo, or they will only have the experience of being rejected and denied.

*Unless they are only doing WSG and you're the designated flag carrier.
    This isn't Day 1. Those things aren't going to happen like you think.

My experience is the only one that matters to me.
    Thats part of the definition of sociapathy.

This isn't Day 1. Those things aren't going to happen like you think.
    On the contrary, unless Blizzard change Classic to the point that MC/BWL bosses are not Fire Immune, Sapphiron isn't Frost Immune etc, this is going to happen straight from Day 1 because people know exactly what to expect instead of not knowing it's not going to work and walk in the place blind. The memory of wiping to the first pair of Molten Giants in MC Entrance multiple times, as well as my raid's horrified realization that they were just trash mob not boss (Since they drop no epics) is still fresh in my mind and I will treasure it forever, but that will not happen in Classic.

Heck, I have a Mage friend in Vanilla who outright didn't realize Baron Geddon was immune to Fire for a whole damn month, and nobody called him out to it because we had no damage meter so people didn't know he's doing 0 dps. It was a good laugh through.

I'm fine with people playing useless specs but don't come crying to the forums when your spec sucks even though you knew it sucked when you picked it.

I've noticed a trend here that people tell others that they should play a "viable" spec instead of a spec they actually want to play.

If you want to play one of the "viable" spec/class, then go ahead, please do so.
    This is the first official chance of playing classic again, it's an accomplishment for the community. Shouldn't this be a time to finally let the community experience the game how they wish to play, or how they may have played the first time they had a go at it?

Ben Brode(Previously Hearthstone Game Director) responded to a video about why there are bad cards in Hearthstone where one of the statements were "It's fun to have underdog cards". I think something similar can be said about the bad or "unviable" specs in Classic WoW. It's fun to be a "unviable" spec and do well at it.

Note that I'm not saying that i support any balance change to make the "unviable" specs more viable, just don't see why every priest or (any other class) on the server should be identical to the next because any indiffrences are viewed as sub par.
    Sure, what class and build you want to use is entirely up to you!
    However, don't get mad if people won't let you join in on their fun if you bring a character that has a very low potential performance. In that case, you should perhaps gather other underdog-specced players, and make a "Wack Pack". Conquer the world against all odds. Man, this could turn into a movie!
    Mother pus bucket!

Whoever thinks "all specs are viable in Vanilla" is in for a rude awakening.

Simply put, there's not enough abilties or mana to be viable with. It has nothing to do with skill - you literally run out of buttons to push.

I just love it how people think we were all worse players back then so that's the reason we sucked at the game. WoW was, skill-wise, a downgrade for me, as it was for many other people. It was the limitations of the game that were frustrating to no end.

Vanilla was, in many aspects, a failed experiment carried to success on the good will and enormous amounts of wasted time by the playerbase.
    Last edited by Parhelion; 2018-11-28 at 06:44 AM.

why should they do what you want them to do?
    Because they shouldn't. It's an expression of opinion. You can ignore what they say.
    Last edited by gushDH; 2018-11-28 at 06:54 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I still dont believe people wont find the way to:
    1. Make some specs really viable because they will know everything about everything.
    2. People finally will have time to test something new with old stuff.
    3. Hybrids stuff like dunno Thunderfury on hunter because reasons?
    4. Using stupid combo-wombos to achive something.

I just refuse to believe people will go full elitist mode on VANILLA servers, servers where you could literally afkraid with hunter.
    The knowledge of the game is better, understanding is on peak, all people's gonna do just push gears and ruin the nostalgia factor etc etc...
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

I remember our guild was like server 3rd. They made us all play what we were supposed to play. It didn't help that our one fury war was a shitter.
    Near the end of vanilla we did some friendly raids with the server 2nd. They had ferals and rets and fuckin everything.
    In the end, the content is easy and you don't even need a full group for any of it, except end of AQ and naxx.

In vanilla, every class was viable in some form or other in nearly every aspect of the game. However, you needed to spec and gear correctly in order to get the most out of what you were doing. Port warriors and healers couldn't kill shit, but warriors and shadow priests were common for both farming and pvp.

If you're competent and friendly you can play whatever you want and people will have your back, but if you fuck around and are a dip shit you'll find yourself struggling as the vanilla experience was one that depended a great deal on the cooperation of others.

Quote Originally Posted by klepp0906 View Post
    all spec's are viable.

the end.
    No they aren't. The real end.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gardoc View Post
    Yeah it will be hilarious when all these "viable" elitists get completely destroyed by ele shamans and shadow priests.
    Just as funny as when you start speaking on a subject you have any knowledge on...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    No they aren't. The real end.

- - - Updated - - -

Just as funny as when you start speaking on a subject you have any knowledge on...
    At least use google or boot up a private server if you don't remember how it was. Spriest are PVP gods and ele shamans have the best consistent burst with lots of utility and healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Bolsheviks were amazing too.
    There is nothing fascist about antifa, you do not know the meaning of the word.
    100 milion dead people, so amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardoc View Post
    At least use google or boot up a private server if you don't remember how it was. Spriest are PVP gods and ele shamans have the best consistent burst with lots of utility and healing.
    Except they wont be gods without PvE gear and they will get spanked by every pure out there. Not viable, just be useful and heal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Except they wont be gods without PvE gear and they will get spanked by every pure out there. Not viable, just be useful and heal.
    Dude just stop. Ele shamans and spriests are one of the least gear dependent classes in PVP. Majority of their damage comes from their abilities and they don't even scale well with endgame gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Bolsheviks were amazing too.
    There is nothing fascist about antifa, you do not know the meaning of the word.
    100 milion dead people, so amazing.

Nah, the one piece of gear crucial for Ele Shaman pvp is the zandalar trinket for massive burst damage. Other than that, PvE mails give mostly pure healing (There's a shoulder that increase lightning bolt damage a lot tho iirc) and only provides you more HP.

PvP Rank 12-13 equipment are what you looking for.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't there a quite easy answer to all of this nonsence?

The amount of gear at any given item lvl is the limit. The higher up you go, the less items there is, the fewer variations you could aim for, only a small selected specs worked as intended.

If you however dont intend to end up at that very high item lvl, if you chose / think you'll be "stuck" at a lower item lvl, you have a huge variation of gear to chose from, and almost any class could perform in all specs. But you would have to get creative and you would most deff not top any kind of meter if you went your way out as a balance druid or ret paladin, thouogh thats not what you want so all good right?

Quote Originally Posted by nothingsjim View Post
    On the contrary, unless Blizzard change Classic to the point that MC/BWL bosses are not Fire Immune, Sapphiron isn't Frost Immune etc, this is going to happen straight from Day 1 because people know exactly what to expect instead of not knowing it's not going to work and walk in the place blind. The memory of wiping to the first pair of Molten Giants in MC Entrance multiple times, as well as my raid's horrified realization that they were just trash mob not boss (Since they drop no epics) is still fresh in my mind and I will treasure it forever, but that will not happen in Classic.

Heck, I have a Mage friend in Vanilla who outright didn't realize Baron Geddon was immune to Fire for a whole damn month, and nobody called him out to it because we had no damage meter so people didn't know he's doing 0 dps. It was a good laugh through.
    i honestly cannot understand why you people keep pointing out at mage which is the safest bet to roll as range because you can simply respec to viable spec

point out at specs like retri/prot , feral/boomkin/guardian , shadow etc etc which are nothing but unplayable pieces of garbage .

You can play whatever you want, but you're hardly considered for dungeons and raids. This isn't a new trend, this happend already back in the days.
    Last edited by Millyraynge; 2018-11-28 at 01:21 PM.