Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dondogshiat View Post
    What? Tournament players use addons on everywhere else except lan because they give so huge advantage.
    Generally when referring to 'tournament players' the discussion is about blizzard-hosted ones. Not ones hosted by randoms. The point you so obviously missed, is that they compete at those levels perfectly fine without them, which already goes against your statement of 'needing them to reach your highest potential' which is, similarly to the OP, objectively false.
    Hell, look at Reckful's stuff that was all done without addons.

Quote Originally Posted by foreversilenced View Post
    Its not about perfection. It is simply foolish to not have the ability to see nor send a dbm countdown. How do you prepot?
    "Pulling in 3, 2, 1..."

Rocket science.

And you wonder why people are mocking you for being a shitty player...

weak auras is another basic tool I agree
    Only if you're incredibly awful and don't know how to play your fucking character.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oldschool style is disabling a raid and being bad without being aware you are bad
    Most raids are tested and beaten without addons so having them doesn't make a player bad and it doesn't disable a raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalorakk View Post
    That'd break my anonymity policy but I'm sending him a screenshot of this for a good laugh.
    Tell me the guild.. wouldn't they be proud of their no-addon mythic ghuun?

Why would that be something that needs to be anonymous? Oh yeah .. because you are lying.

Why would that be something that needs to be anonymous? Oh yeah .. because you are lying.
    Whatever you say Mr. "DPS meters are compulsory for raiding"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    Generally when referring to 'tournament players' the discussion is about blizzard-hosted ones. Not ones hosted by randoms. The point you so obviously missed, is that they compete at those levels perfectly fine without them, which already goes against your statement of 'needing them to reach your highest potential' which is, similarly to the OP, objectively false.
    Hell, look at Reckful's stuff that was all done without addons.
    What are the levels you are talking about? They use addons on online games, because playing without them would be stupid. You don't want to give free edge to your opponents. LAN tournaments are different world and there both teams are playing without addons. There is never a situation where one team plays without addons and one with.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Hi, super duper hardcore raider reporting in, I don't even keep my DPS meter visible during progression. That's DEFINITELY not a required addon.
    DPS meters aren't but boss timers absolutely are ESPECIALLY as a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalorakk View Post
    Whatever you say Mr. "DPS meters are compulsory for raiding"

Hello I am in a mythic CE guild. I do not use addon. Do not ask me my parse or dps as I do not know. I am a very good player of WOW

I improve my dps by changing my XMOG.

Hey so if you are one of those people who say you are old school and don't use addons - please stop joining group activity. I had a Main Tank in a progression guild who refused to download a single addon. Every boss he would just randomly walk into the boss with no prior warning. We never got to prepot. I ended up fighting him after several weeks of this and he gquit mid raid due to his refusal to get an addon. On top of this he was always taunting incorrectly and missing very basic things due to being "oldschool".

I now have a policy that if anyone pulls without a timer I just remove them. Be that a tank ilvl 390. Doing a 10 sec timer SAVES TIME because 20 people open properly, that's more dps = faster boss kill.

Basic requirement should be > a damage / heal metre > dbm / bigwigs. If you can't do that then you are just letting down every person you encounter in groups.
    1) your raid leader should have benched him the second time he pulled without getting dbm to do pull timers.
    2) no having addons isn't oldschool, its just stupid. I've been using addons since vanilla.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Hello I am in a mythic CE guild. I do not use addon. Do not ask me my parse or dps as I do not know. I am a very good player of WOW

There's logs for that.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    No addon can replace situational awareness. Situational awareness, however, can replace every addon. Saying you need addons as a blanket statement would be saying that nobody has situational awareness. Which is, as already stated, objectively wrong. You needing addons does not mean everyone needs addons.
    Quote Originally Posted by dondogshiat View Post
    What are the levels you are talking about? They use addons on online games, because playing without them would be stupid. You don't want to give free edge to your opponents. LAN tournaments are different world and there both teams are playing without addons. There is never a situation where one team plays without addons and one with.
    See above. Reckful played without addons (aside from moveanything) his entire pvp career.

I haven't been playing much recently. Got my Mythic +15 and and a few heroic clears during BFA.

Not raiding cutting edge anymore due to ILR but here is my armory https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...strength/raids I have every cutting edge available before Kil'Jaeden (most within US top 20, nothing too impressive) and none after.

I played with almost no add-ons. A few exceptions are some for like Archimonde for "ez mode beams". I remember using them for the hand guy just to make getting to your spot easier and a few like that.

Pull timers were always done through voice and timers so no need for that. Someone always liked to pull early anyways so I normally potted at "2". DPS meters - we used logs. I normally just had logs open and checked performance there and much more quickly than a dps meter lets you. You aren't a hindrance to a raid for not having dps meters of all things as they do nothing. anyone performing like shit should be removed regardless of add-ons and add-ons won't help at that point.

I did have bigwigs and angry assignments when I raid leaded at the end of cata, MoP, and started stopped when someone else that was actually good at it wanted to do it. This was 1/2 way through Blackrock. I kept the add-ons for that raid but didn't bother to update any after that. Almost every "raid mechanic" on a timer has in game ways of keeping track anyways. G'huun for example in P2 does his AoE at 33 and 66 energy when you need to spread and the blood at 100. Similar in P3 just different abilities. Debuffs / screen turning gray / big ass light beam on players with orb and mini map. You will know pretty well if you actually pay attention to the fights and not just the dbm timers.

Also, as the guy above me said in pvp tournaments you can't use add-ons so the highest end pvpers a lot of times don't even run any and use macros and stopwatch for timers for DR. If you use Kidney shot it starts the stop watch so you know when to do it again and so forth. Start a timer with a poly cast and know it's X seconds +1 before it's off DR. Watch a streamer and you will see a ton of macros and a lot are bound to Arena 1 / 2 / 3 and so forth and default UI.

Edit: Changed link.
    Edit 2: Most of the add-ons are I used were radar based. Hands on the boss in blackrock with Exorsus Raid Tools and the like before they were ever implemented into dbm/bigwigs.
    Last edited by Solial; 2018-11-29 at 02:47 AM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Right, but below Mythic, what is ACTUALLY required? OP still hasn't really answered that.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Requiring addons for anything below top end progression (I'm talking competing for world/server firsts) seems silly to me since the default ui tells you everything you need to know, but if you lead the group, you're free to do as you please.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only addon I use is a damage meter so I can watch how I destroy weakminded DBM plebs.

It's 100% correct, also hit me with the reason why you do not use addons? I haven't seen 1 good reason not to.
    Sounds like a problem on both sides. If he's not using addons he should at least compensate for it. Then on your side, if you're pushing progression with a pug tank, that's on you. Maybe he won't work for YOUR group, but to say they shouldn't join ANY group activity is pretty immature.

I don't use mods. I can't because I play on a potato. But I also compensate by using macros for prepot/pull etc, and I research every fight so any shortcomings aren't tank side. Hasn't slowed us down any.

It just requires way more effort. It's not autopilot like most things in game today. I like it.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    It's 100% correct, also hit me with the reason why you do not use addons? I haven't seen 1 good reason not to.
    They don't want to.

Absolute flawless reason. There is legitimately no argument that can ever counter it.

You're welcome. ^_^
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

I'm starting to think the OP must be trolling. This thread can't be real. He/she sounds like my 11 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Sounds like a problem on both sides. If he's not using addons he should at least compensate for it. Then on your side, if you're pushing progression with a pug tank, that's on you. Maybe he won't work for YOUR group, but to say they shouldn't join ANY group activity is pretty immature.

I don't use mods. I can't because I play on a potato. But I also compensate by using macros for prepot/pull etc, and I research every fight so any shortcomings aren't tank side. Hasn't slowed us down any.

It just requires way more effort. It's not autopilot like most things in game today. I like it.
    You make your team suffer. Don't take on a role such as tank with a potato computer + no addons. Very rude indeed and the type of behaviour I am talking about.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Haven't used raiding addons since early Wrath and haven't had problems. Game gives enough visual and audio cues for the fights. Tried using DBM some time late Legion and it was absolutely more distracting than helpful since I kept waiting for the in game cues like boss quotes and instead was blasted by generic horns and other sounds. I do use meters to help me figure out my dps specs though I rarely dps, prefer to Tank and Heal.

My guild hasn't had any problems with it. In fact they told me it was required when I joined but (and I know it was wrong to do this) I just told them I had the addons when I didn't. After a while of raiding together I confessed and leader didn't care, I wasn't causing any problems.

You don't need addons, just attention to detail and discipline. At the beginning I felt like a complete moron without them it just takes time. The devs have also got a lot better at telegraphing things, before Wrath I would imagine they would be extremely helpful for certain things. Specially in Classic where even basic functionality like a focus and boss frames were missing and macros were a nightmare.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn