Poll: Should the players be "punished" for killing low level characters in the warmode?

Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Considering that the choice is between two losing options, then WTF do you recommend?

All Blizzard has to do is use sharding/phasing to restrict the players you see in war-mode to ones appropriate for the level bracket you're in, and apply scaling to make any enemy players you encounter a relatively fair fight. There is literally no excuse for a capped player to ever be in a low level zone stomping players that have zero chance or opportunity for a fight.

But by all means, keep rationalizing some of the worst gameplay to exist in any game.
    I just recommended either you get over the fact that you have a chance of that bonus not being worth it or don't take the chance.

Don't act like there are more answers than that. Blizzard is increasing the bonus for the people that are out numbered so it isn't changing.

That means you either take take the chance or you don't. It isn't about rationalizing it being in the game because I'm not a dev.

You don't yell at your mom because the weather is cold out. You either stay inside or put on a coat because those are your options.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No. You have the option to engage in PvP now. If you turn it on, you’re fair game to anyone, no matter your level. Don’t like it? Turn that shit off.
    That is exactly what is wrong with WoW's world PvP and why it won't be fixed no matter what kind of rewards Bliizard will throw. It's all or nothing.
    I don't mind playing in the world and occasionally pvping with people in my level range - that can be fun. But due to the way this game is constructed you either switch off from PvP completely or you risk fighting with people you have no chance at all, because just the level difference will make you unable to hit them or deal any noticeable damage. There's nothing in between.
    For many people that is no fun, so they choose to avoid open world PvP completely. So sure, it can stay that way, but please don't cry that people avoid war mode or that pvp servers had uneven population. People don't like to be on the receiving end of unfair fight and they will avoid it.
    Or Blizzard could address this and make sure that world pvp at least tries to give people some fair chance of fighting and then maybe some of the folks who now ignore war mode would switch it on.

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    All Blizzard has to do is remove all bribes, and the problem is solved. Everyone in Warmode will be there for the wPvP.
    That would work, although it's a scorched earth solution.

I think it would be better if Blizzard actually designed the open world with real wPVP objectives, terrain, and mechanics to promote real fights instead of random ganks. The moment you toggle on War Mode, all the WQs should change to PVP objectives, for example. No PVE stuff there at all; not a single NPC or click quest. Only "Kill X players in this area", "Control this bridge for X minutes", "Run this flag X times".

And make the rewards actually worth doing. Valuable crafting mats or something. Give people an actual reason to fight instead of "Hur dur! 10% gold/AP" which is available literally everywhere else for less effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Igzorn View Post
    just bring back the dishonorfull kill system from classic were by every kill of a low lev char impacts the pvp rateing negatively. this would cull the behavior a bit.
    It didn't work in vanilla either.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltsmasher View Post
    I just recommended either you get over the fact that you have a chance of that bonus not being worth it or don't take the chance.

Don't act like there are more answers than that. Blizzard is increasing the bonus for the people that are out numbered so it isn't changing.

That means you either take take the chance or you don't. It isn't about rationalizing it being in the game because I'm not a dev.

You don't yell at your mom because the weather is cold out. You either stay inside or put on a coat because those are your options.
    Whoosh, right over your head. Good job missing the point entirely. Here, let me quote someone who actually gets it:

Quote Originally Posted by Staboteur View Post
    All the people saying just turn war mode off are probably the ones who sit in Hellfire all day killing lv60s or are just a bit too dense to understand that people who enjoy PvP enjoy a fair fight, they like the competition and if you lose it's because the other player was better and not because they're 60 levels higher than you. No one is complaining about being killed by someone the same level as them.

That would work, although it's a scorched earth solution.
    What is '"scorched earth" about the way it was intended (and promised) in the first place?

'Hey, wearing that dress, she was asking for it' /s
    That's not what warmode is. Warmode is like going to the rape center and then complaining that you forgot your raping shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    You don't take a 10% hit, you gain 10% xp BONUS. That's not essential to level up. The abilities are also non-essential and do not hinder your ability to level up in any way. You gain these things but also gain the risk of using them. Dislike the risk? Don't use the bonus.
    If it is not essential to level up, then just give the bonus and the abilities to everyone, regardless of Warmode. Dislike wPvP, leave it off, like wPvP turn it on. No need to bait or bribe anyone into something else.

What is '"scorched earth" about the way it was intended (and promised) in the first place?
    Are you talking about base vanilla wPVP? Like, before even honor points?

Also, what promise?

Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post
    I think,that people like that druid should be "punished" - they should get debuffs or lose their honor points when they kill low level players. What do you think?
    On a RP level, wouldn't make sense since classes don't share the same code of honor. Paladins could be massive carebears and even help low level oppositing-faction players. Rogues in the other hand don't give two poops about level differences.

On a technical level, i assume it would be a pain to code a smart system to disable/enable warmode just because you have a discordant level player nearby.

On a UX level, it just sucks to be restricted in an already restrictive game that is current WoW

Imagine leveling without the thrill of knowing if you are getting buttblasted for a 120.

TL;DR: If you don't want to get ganked, WM Off. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    That's not what warmode is. Warmode is like going to the rape center and then complaining that you forgot your raping shoes.
    The /s stands for "sarcasm', but did you just confess to condoning rape? XD

Punished? No.
    But I agree that there should be a level sync between players, like there was at the beggining of BfA. Just disable Legiondaries against other players and let the fight be fair. If your lvl 120 ass can't handle a level 100, just get good and stop whining.

Didn't we have this discussion for 10 years and the answer was "PVP on a PVP server"?

You have the solution to ganking.. turn off war mode.. before that you couldn't because it would mean a server transfer, they fixed that and people are still complaining about it?

If you are getting ganked to a point where the small bonus xp you get from being war mode is no longer worth it, I think you found the solution.. turn it off.

Are you talking about base vanilla wPVP? Like, before even honor points?

Also, what promise?
    First mention of Warmode, Ion said in interviews that the intention was 'They designed this because they recognized people ended up and got stuck on PvP servers, not because they liked wPvP, but because they wanted to join a raiding guild there, or they had friends there etc., and they wanted to offer a way out without having to sever those ties. The new system would ensure anyone being in Warmode would be there because they liked wPvP, so nobody would have qualms to engage someone as they could rest assured that those people were there for the exact same reason as they were'

The 'incentives' came later, and destroyed the whole initial intent.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think they need to do one of the following:

1. Put a bounty on higher level players each time they kill someone 5-10 levels below them, perhaps scaling. The higher the bounty, the more honor other players get for killing them. Bounty resets when the person dies. Maybe even at a certain bounty level that player becomes visible on the map for anyone in the vicinity to see.

2. Implement some form of level scaling to even the odds. Sort of like how they did with 110s vs 120s I think. So if you're attacking a level 20 as a 120 it would possibly scale the 20 to have health/damage of a level close to 120 so they can stand a chance. It would only affect what the 120 sees and wouldn't increase the 20s damage against other mobs or same-level players of the opposite faction, etc. This would make it so ANY level player (maybe 20+) could freely engage in world PVP and have at least a chance to stand against the higher level players. It would fit well with the scaling of Classic zones where you can have 60s leveling alongside 20s and 30s currently.

Either that or change PVP so everyone scales to the same level and have a fighting chance, like Timewalking.

Would be funny as hell to see a level 120 try to gank a level 21 just for the level 21 to turn around and smash them.

Quote Originally Posted by Garretdejiko View Post
    Imagine leveling without the thrill of knowing if you are getting buttblasted for a 120.
    How is that even remotely thrilling? See a 120 coming at you while leveling. "well...guess it's time to go make a sandwich." Because you're not going to be able to do anything in the game. Might as well take a break.

You know what WOULD be thrilling? Coming across a player approximately your same level and having a real fight.

- - - Updated - - -

First mention of Warmode, Ion said in interviews that the intention was 'They designed this because they recognized people ended up and got stuck on PvP servers, not because they liked wPvP, but because they wanted to join a raiding guild there, or they had friends there etc., and they wanted to offer a way out without having to sever those ties. The new system would ensure anyone being in Warmode would be there because they liked wPvP, so nobody would have qualms to engage someone as they could rest assured that those people were there for the exact same reason as they were'

The 'incentives' came later, and destroyed the whole initial intent.
    Then all they need to do in order to satisfy "Being there for the exact same reasons as they were" is to design it so that war mode promotes more reasonably even fights. Yes, players who take the risk of PVP in the open world should get better rewards. But the risk should be a reasonable one, not a "You can't fight at all because levels".

If players were scaled by bracket, and sharding was applied to address the population imbalance like Ion talked about, I think War Mode would be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Either that or change PVP so everyone scales to the same level and have a fighting chance, like Timewalking.

Would be funny as hell to see a level 120 try to gank a level 21 just for the level 21 to turn around and smash them.
    And even if the 120 has a slight advantage due to better-optimized gear and such, what happens if several lvl 21s team up? Players working together and having an actual battle instead of one player vomiting all over anyone in the zone.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    Didn't we have this discussion for 10 years and the answer was "PVP on a PVP server"?

You have the solution to ganking.. turn off war mode.. before that you couldn't because it would mean a server transfer, they fixed that and people are still complaining about it?

If you are getting ganked to a point where the small bonus xp you get from being war mode is no longer worth it, I think you found the solution.. turn it off.
    The only thing I would suggest, along this same logic, is to maybe allow switching warmode at the spirit healer for a period of time after being killed by a player. If only to address situations where lowbies are being heavily hunted and ganked to the point where it becomes difficult to try and get out of the zone in order to switch it off.

If the flight masters are dead and their hearth is on cd or bound to the very inn being attacked; THEN their option becomes to keep corpse running until they manage to get away, take res sickness and attempt escape, or just log off and wait it out. In these specific cases, I could understand the frustration but otherwise? Yeah.....no sympathy for anyone toggled on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

The /s stands for "sarcasm', but did you just confess to condoning rape? XD
    If it's in WoW and includes brutally demeaning my enemies, then yes I did.

It was hard to tell if you were going against or are for "you have warmode on, ganking is just a big part of warmode."

The massive problem with Warmode is the sense of entitlement by people who want reward with no risk. The game has literally had this same thing for multiple xpacs. It’s an issue now because people who never once cared about PvP or ganking suddenly want to play in a PvP setting due to extra rewards. When they get hit by someone who also utilities the system how it was designed they suddenly cry foul and want the system changed.
    Guess what, if you don’t want the risk, then do without the reward.
    To the people who say they want a fair fight, then turn on WM when you hit max level; or better yet, simply level thru BGs. Maybe go find a different game as well as there is no such thing as a fair fight in WoW. WoW has never had balanced PvP and never will. To say you want a fair fight with WM is just asinine and pointless.