View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    And live where exactly? In a cardboard box under Tower Bridge? Nice. You know even now property Landlords are obliged to check right to reside status of potential tenants on penalty of property seizure should they fail to do so...
    I had no idea you guys already fixed the problems you seemed to be having with illegal immigrants. Because brexit without a hard border wont fix it

That's a bit rich. How is the EU doing controlling its borders in the Mediterranean? Last I heard they ignored their responsibilities and left it up to the British. With Russian tanks massing on the Ukrainian border it'll be nice to sit back and watch how the EU controls its Eastern borders as well as those in the South.

As a spectator this time.

Do you think those tanks will stop trundling when they get into Ukraine or will and where will they push further?

What a summer 2019 will bring.
    Ukraine is not a member state. The Lisbon treaty only calls for help when a member state is attacked. If you are criticizing NATO you're in the wrong thread.
    You have the best Navy in Europe. Shouldn't you rejoice you can flex your muscles and show everyone you are better are patrolling the Mediterranean and protecting us from evil refugees than countries with struggling economies and weaker navies?
    You are the one saying he wants to take control back of its borders, yet doesn't very efficiently controls the hard borders he has, nor wants a hard border on the only physical border he has.
    Now, tell me again what is rich?

And live where exactly? In a cardboard box under Tower Bridge? Nice. You know even now property Landlords are obliged to check right to reside status of potential tenants on penalty of property seizure should they fail to do so...
    So you are basically saying that ending free movement, one of the main pillars of Brexit, is completely unnecessary? Wow, you aren't afraid to completely undermine your own argument, are you? Nice for you to be honest for once.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    so leaving the EU is not enough, you also want the EU to collapse. In other word, you can only win if others lose in the same process.

Now that i think about it, it kinda make sense. Having a massive political and economical block next to the UK will be extremely prejudicial to UK economy. So anything that weaken the EU favors your agenda.
    The collapse of the EU has been his main agenda from day 1. He's only too happy that the UK has to be sacrificed for it as well, because basically that's what anarchists want.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    It's more relevant to the people, which is why politicians use it. These were numbers about the performance of the country though. I recall it raised many eyebrows at the time.
    It's completely misleading to look at raw GDP, otherwise the world's superpowers are Qatar and Liechtenstein.

- - - Updated - - -

Shhhhhh, please don't tell the little bit dim remainers and other eurofanatics that our parliament is incompetent, they still believe we can get the Maybot brexit or no brexit. Pretty much one in the same thing anyway unless you want to split hairs. Bwahahahaaaa
    "One and the same".

If you're going to live in England, learn to speak the language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

You're relying on landlords to follow the law? Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's completely misleading to look at raw GDP, otherwise the world's superpowers are Qatar and Liechtenstein.

- - - Updated - - -

"One and the same".

I’m pretty sure the poster lives in, or close to, Barnsley.
    You can't really dust for vomit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    "One and the same".

Is that what you are reduced to, failing to pick holes in grammar and spelling mistakes with no other argument? Pathetic, you really have lost the debate.

Perhaps, with English obviously not your native tongue, you didn't understand the context. So no, grammatically it is "One in the same" in this specific case as being in and of a full member of the EU is not "One and the same" as the proposed UK/EU brexit deal. There is a subtle difference between the two that a non native speaker would not pick up on. So you are somewhat excused for your ignorance, but I am with respect making excuses for you.

Perchance after another 50,000 posts and a further 7 years of study you will have learnt the nuances of the English language a little better, one would hope.

That's all you are getting for free, any more tuition and I have to make a small charge...

Keep up the good work though, I'll give you a C+ for effort.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Perhaps, with English obviously not your native tongue, you didn't understand the context. So no, grammatically it is "One in the same" in this specific case as being in and of a full member of the EU is not "One and the same" as the proposed UK/EU brexit deal. There is a subtle difference between the two that a non native speaker would not pick up on. So you are somewhat excused for your ignorance, but I am with respect making excuses for you.
    I can't believe I need to explain this, but no, "one in the same" is not a correct usage, it's a mistake. No, it doesn't mean something subtly different. It doesn't mean anything. You heard the phrase wrong and didn't think about the component words and how they would make grammatical sense.

The correct usage is "One and the same". A good dictionary or phrase compilation will confirm this. "One and the same" is used for emphasis, especially when there are seemingly different identities, characters, etc, in question.

Examples from the Corpus:

• Many of their supporters think of the two brothers as one and the same.

• For several long stretches, the road and a large sandy wash are one and the same.

• The two Taylors are one and the same.

• Victor and vanquished, he was beginning to think, came together in art and were one and the same.

• Writing as he did, Marx left the inevitableimpression that he and history were one and the same.

The old expression “they are one and the same” is now often mangled into the roughly phonetic equivalent “one in the same.” The use of “one” here to mean “identical with each other” is familiar from phrases like “Jane and John act as one.” They are one; they are the same.
    https://www.quora.com/Which-is-corre...ne-in-the-same

"One in the same" is an eggcorn:

One and the same is the logical formulation of the expression meaning the same person or thing. This expression is not hard to parse; it uses redundancy (one and the same being synonyms) for emphasis. The eggcorn one in the same sort of makes sense—if we imagine something being inside the same thing as itself—but it’s not the standard phrase and is widely viewed as a misspelling.
    https://grammarist.com/usage/one-in-the-same/

An eggcorn is... well I'll give you a definition of that phrase because you probably don't know it:

a word or phrase that results from a mishearing or misinterpretation of another, an element of the original being substituted for one which sounds very similar (e.g. tow the line instead of toe the line ).
    "Eggcorn" is a mishearing of "acorn", that's where the word comes from. The idea is that someone who doesn't know how to spell "acorn" mishears "eggcorn", and assumes this makes sense because an acorn kind of looks like an egg and/or kernel of corn, ie egg-corn.

Kind of like how you've misheard "one and the same" as "one in the same" (which is easy to do, because "and" and "in" often reduce to the unstressed pronunciation "ən" in common speech due to being short syllables - this is why you sometimes see "and" spelled "'n"), and you've assumed they're different things.

P.S. I only speak one language, my native tongue. I repeat, learn the freaking language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Random fact, the genie from Aladdin is only blue because Disney were scared of offending the African American audience, his (mythical) species the Jinn are usually jet black in colour and Disney realised that if they characterised that it would look identical to the racists depictions of black people from 50's/60's cartoons.

Bonus fact, the Japanese anime series Dragon Ball Z (and it's sequels) features a Jinn character who is drawn correctly, and so for the US release the studio responsible for localization turned him blue for the same reasons as Disney.

I know both facts are a little off topic but they are interesting and relevant to you post so meh :P
    Which character are you referring to in DB-Z? The genie (Jinn) in that series are represented by Majin Boo who is pink. The only character I can think of that fits your description is Mr. Popo who isn't a genie (I think..?) and is coloured black in all the series I have seen.

- - - Updated - - -

WTO rules have been in place for how long? And now helpfully this week the WTO says its rules would not force EU or UK to erect hard Irish border the last brick falls into place.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...rder-1.3710136

What are the EU waiting for? The writing is on the wall and should know already.
    There's a funny game of semantics there. The WTO does not require a hard border. However if a member brings a complaint then it does require the UK and EU to protect the integrity of their markets. Which requires a border...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    The collapse of the EU has been his main agenda from day 1. He's only too happy that the UK has to be sacrificed for it as well, because basically that's what anarchists want.
    He's not an anarchist, he's just wealthy enough to be able to profit from this mess whilst laughing at the poorer people being sacrificed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    They don't need to agree to change any treaty terms however they do need to all agree to a continuation of talks.

Well we'll have to wait and see what happens.

-----

They're all falling in line; https://www.theguardian.com/politics...y-commons-vote
    I actually thought Fox expressed support the day after it came out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46407249 Another (yet I'd guess minor for most people) minister did just quit though in past 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post

He's not an anarchist, he's just wealthy enough to be able to profit from this mess whilst laughing at the poorer people being sacrificed.
    The way he types, his grammer which is at times more abysmal then a chav would type, I think he's actually not one of the brighest people.. I mean i had a co-worked who had the IQ of 79... she votes/voted Geert Wilders, because he struck true with his islamopbhia, didnt matter that Geert Wilders actually wants to cut budgets/care for people with less then 80 IQ... all what mattered was that islam followers / foreigners GET THE FUCK BACK. And thats one of the examples I have... What I've seen by Dribbles, and in my personal experience (including family) certain people of a certain background (I got ''kampers'' and some low IQ, Tokkie and Thug-level family members) tend to be really black and white about things. They'd gladly sacrifice something to get something away they really don't like. Even if it means shooting in there own damn foot.

Is that what you are reduced to, failing to pick holes in grammar and spelling mistakes with no other argument? Pathetic, you really have lost the debate.

Perchance after another 50,000 posts and a further 7 years of study you will have learnt the nuances of the English language a little better, one would hope.

That's all you are getting for free, any more tuition and I have to make a small charge...

Keep up the good work though, I'll give you a C+ for effort.
    @Mormolyce absolutely tore you a new one in his response to this latest pile of nonsense of yours. But it is worth pointing out the pattern of behaviour you are following. You made a mistake, you got called out on it and you doubled down on the error. Attacking the person that highlighted it, demanding that we believe you were actually correct. Ignoring evidence that proves you wrong. If that isn't Brexit and the Brexiteer mentality writ large, I don't know what is.

We may have to start calling you Chuckles instead. The unintentional mirth you cause is priceless.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    ...(I got ''kampers'' and some low IQ, Tokkie and Thug-level family members)...
    Oh you poor thing...that's a very unfortunate family you have there. Prime feeding ground for Wilders though, I'm guessing they don't feel Baudet?

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    I actually thought Fox expressed support the day after it came out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46407249 Another (yet I'd guess minor for most people) minister did just quit though in past 24 hours.
    You might be right, it is getting really quite difficult to keep track of when exactly the rats abandon the good ship, HMS Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Doubt that.

By the way, the WTO requires a hard border if you have no other agreement. If only so you can take the proper customs.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    You might be right, it is getting really quite difficult to keep track of when exactly the rats abandon the good ship, HMS Brexit.
    In theory, all Cabinet ministers agree to collective responsibility, so if Liam Fox wants to keep his job he has to go along with it. On the other hand, that junior minister was a Remoaner, which is rather interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch Vandal View Post
    A vote for Brexit = a vote for a hard border. There is no other way.
    One story I've seen bandied about here & there is the idea that Brexit could lead to a referendum on the future of Northern Ireland ala the Scottish independence one we had a few years back. It could go back to Ireland, or have the pro-Irish parts go to Ireland or something. If we use Protestant & Catholic as proxies for pro-UK & pro-RoI sentiment*, cutting Northern Ireland in two could be done reasonably easily per this map (red = Protestant, blue = Catholic):

That might make it easier to have a hard border too, as the most pro-RoI populations would be on the Irish side and so on.

*Probably not the best proxies, but they'll do for now.
    Still not tired of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    *snip*
    So your solution to all the problems caused by arbitrarily splitting Ireland in two, is to split it again? Is this some kind of competition going on between you and Dribbles for who can make themselves look more ridiculous?

Seriously, go away and explain this to someone. Maybe the act of saying it out loud might make you realise what you're saying. I just wouldn't advise you to try it on anyone that's actually Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Seriously, go away and explain this to someone. Maybe the act of saying it out loud might make you realise what you're saying. I just wouldn't advise you to try it on anyone that's actually Irish.
    Do people in RoI that don't leave near the border actually care?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    So your solution to all the problems caused by arbitrarily splitting Ireland in two, is to split it again?
    Let us suppose that, after Brexit, Northern Ireland holds a referendum on leaving the UK. Let us then suppose that some areas vote strongly to remain, and others vote strongly to leave.

If the overall vote is to leave the UK, one solution would be to hand over all of Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland. Pro-UK people living there will thus be screwed unless they leave their homeland to remain under UK rule. If the overall vote is to remain in the UK, the same problem occurs but for pro-RoI people.

If however it is possible to divide things up without too much border gore, that seems the best way of pleasing both sides (bear in mind it seems to be pretty close to a 50:50 split between pro-UK and pro-RoI people ATM). It obviously won't please everyone, because nothing ever does, but such a scenario seems the least bad option. Incidentally, if you do a google search for the repartition of Northern Ireland you'll find quite a bit on it. Maggie Thatcher considered it at one point, and it's an idea that's come up in various think tanks and such as a possible solution.
    Still not tired of winning.