Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/47260146_10214104101619005_2431755176701329408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=c640132ff7c24ea49e27558ea9db6a42&oe=5C6B8379
    Another image, this one from Anchorage.
    Sorry for being mean, but ha! That's quite unlucky, or lucky depending on your perspective
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    7.2 is now Massive ?
    Nah dude, 7.2 is a tiny quake.

7.2 is now Massive ?
    The fuck?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Pohang_earthquake

The earthquake, along with several aftershocks, caused significant infrastructure damage in the southern port city of Pohang. At least 82 people were injured in the earthquake, including 15 people who were hospitalized. About 1,124 people stayed in temporary shelters after they had to leave their home.[3]

According to an initial assessment by the Ministry of the Interior and Safety, the earthquake damaged 2,165 private properties, including 1,988 private houses. Of those, 52 homes suffered severe damage and 157 suffered serious damage.[3]

Damage was also reported at 227 schools across the region, 107 of them in Pohang, 44 in Ulsan and 26 in Daegu. Furthermore, damage was reported at 79 public offices and parks, 23 port facilities, 7 roads, 90 shops, 77 factories, and 11 bridges.[3]

This wasn't a big one and it caused enough damage to cost quite a bit. If a 7.2 would happen, you'd have massive damages and possibly a lot of deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    There are lots of places on Earth where natural disasters more or less don't occur at all.
    Okay, so show me where 7.5 billion people are going to live in areas where no natural disasters happen...

When you try to play devil's advocate but you just end up looking silly- the post.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well the good thing is there doesn’t appear to be many dead( if any) but man I hope the majority of the people have 4x4 cause you ain’t using those roads for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa Cascade View Post
    Was a 9.0.
    it was 6.6, thats far from 9.0

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    The fuck?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Pohang_earthquake

The earthquake, along with several aftershocks, caused significant infrastructure damage in the southern port city of Pohang. At least 82 people were injured in the earthquake, including 15 people who were hospitalized. About 1,124 people stayed in temporary shelters after they had to leave their home.[3]

According to an initial assessment by the Ministry of the Interior and Safety, the earthquake damaged 2,165 private properties, including 1,988 private houses. Of those, 52 homes suffered severe damage and 157 suffered serious damage.[3]

Damage was also reported at 227 schools across the region, 107 of them in Pohang, 44 in Ulsan and 26 in Daegu. Furthermore, damage was reported at 79 public offices and parks, 23 port facilities, 7 roads, 90 shops, 77 factories, and 11 bridges.[3]

This wasn't a big one and it caused enough damage to cost quite a bit. If a 7.2 would happen, you'd have massive damages and possibly a lot of deaths.
    5.4 is nothing maybe build your houses not so cheap ?

10+ Year Old Account
    There are lots of places on Earth where natural disasters more or less don't occur at all.
    Where? Because I bet I can name an extreme sort of disaster that occures regularly in whatever area you name.

I'm waiting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    it was 6.6, thats far from 9.0
    AGAIN, the 6.6 was in 2016.
    The 9.0 was in 2011.

FUKUSHIMA GETS A LOT OF EARTHQUAKES! I can't make this any clearer. The Fukushima reactor disaster was in 2011 with the 9.0
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    7.2 is now Massive ?
    Yes its is considered major on a scale from 1 to 9....have you been in one? where you taught the scale? 7.2 is on the end of the scale where shit goes really bad, fires, explosion, buildings caving in on your fucking head.

Deleted
    true, finland/sweden never has earthquakes, floodings, tsunamis, hurricanes or heatwaves

earthquakes are extremely rare in polar regions anyway

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    Yes its is considered major on a scale from 1 to 9....have you been in one? where you taught the scale? 7.2 is on the end of the scale where shit goes really bad, fires, explosion, buildings caving in on your fucking head.
    it goes far above 9

one caused by a planetary collision would probably be in the high 2-digits

Quote Originally Posted by your mother View Post
    one caused by a planetary collision would probably be in the high 2-digits
    Yeah... not quite. High double digits (i.e. 70+) would be over 10^60 times as powerful as the current record. A 12-13 might just crack the planet in two, let alone something quintillions of quintillions of quintillions stronger than that.

But yeah, a 7.2 can cause some SERIOUS damage if it hits the wrong places. the big San Francisco earthquake in 06 destroyed over 80% of the city and killed over 3000 and that was only a 7.9, or about 5 times as strong as this one, so 7.2 can still cause a significant amount of damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lucred View Post
    Yeah... not quite. High double digits (i.e. 70+) would be over 10^60 times as powerful as the current record. A 12-13 might just crack the planet in two, let alone something quintillions of quintillions of quintillions stronger than that.
    err.. by high i really meant a high number between 10-20, so around 17-18, 12.5 isnt even nearly enough to crack a planet

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Where? Because I bet I can name an extreme sort of disaster that occures regularly in whatever area you name.
    OT: Stay safe Alaskans, hope you can return to normal life as soon as possible.

As for the quote - Britain doesn't have any regular extreme sorts of disaster. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post

I'm waiting.
    Finland for example. There has never been any deadly natural disasters here (outside of an asteroid collision). Same goes for Sweden. Russia for the most part (and Russia is huge).

Northern China, Mongolia, Korean peninsula.

Canada.

Sub-Saharan Africa.

Eastern South America.

Australia.

These places have no 1. earthquakes 2. floods 3. hurricanes 4. tornadoes 5. volcanoes 6.avalanches.

Droughts are possible in Australia and some parts of sub-Saharan Africa. Also forest fires are possible - but those can be combated.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

7.2 is now Massive ?
    Damn gringos would have a heart attack if they lived in Chile, lel

true, finland/sweden never has earthquakes, floodings, tsunamis, hurricanes or heatwaves
    I guess a bad blizzard could be considered a natural disaster. I would rather brave the tornado hell of where I live than live in a snow covered moonscape.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarch Vandal View Post
    I think you can add West-Europe to that too. The worst thing that happens usually is a bit of flooding in known problem areas.
    Yeah, but flooding is flooding. It is a disaster. The places I mentioned don't even have that.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by your mother View Post
    err.. by high i really meant a high number between 10-20, so around 17-18, 12.5 isnt even nearly enough to crack a planet
    https://earthobservatory.sg/faq-on-e...uake-can-reach

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/to...ts_fantasy.php

Talking out of your ass doesn't make you smarter.

A 10 is basically every fault going off at once. A 12.5 would shatter the earth because of the amount of stress required to create one would generally require a larger planet.

Finland for example. There has never been any deadly natural disasters here (outside of an asteroid collision). Same goes for Sweden. Russia for the most part (and Russia is huge).

Northern China, Mongolia, Korean peninsula.

Canada.

Sub-Saharan Africa.

Eastern South America.

Australia.

These places have no 1. earthquakes 2. floods 3. hurricanes 4. tornadoes 5. volcanoes 6.avalanches.

Droughts are possible in Australia and some parts of sub-Saharan Africa. Also forest fires are possible - but those can be combated.

We have all those things plus it's easier to get shot. Number one place for shark attacks too.

Looks like Thor landed there.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2018-12-01 at 04:02 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Looks like Thor landed there.
    looks like the path of the titans in dragonblight