Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Unfortunately this kind of attention is probably exactly what the mother wanted. It got her her five minutes of fame, so it's worth naming her child like a throwaway account password I guess.

It's a shame creating a child is so much easier than raising one.

Well, her parents should be ashamed for naming their child that.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrasque View Post
    The worst that I've seen is Miangel... Literally "My Angel." It's so cringy.
    I work at a school. We've had some pretty stupid ones through the years. The usual eccentric-but-readable ones, like Prince, have been toppled by "Myking" and "Myqueen" and such alphabet soup vomit that I can't even type them without actually revealing a child's identity because there's no way a thousand games of Scrabble thrown in a blender would ever replicate that exact series of nonsense. Currently one kid straight up named "King" enrolled, too. Spoiler: he's an asshole.

Now, we have some odd ones that come from strong cultural backgrounds. That's fine. More power to them. But this wacky stuff has to stop because I can't keep up with the speed at which my language is being mutated and not knowing how to pronounce things bothers me.

Also yes I know all names are made up, but language has rules goddamnit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    LMFAO at boy names number 1 and 27 on that list

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Torrasque View Post
    Sounds like what a PvP player would name their Blood Elf...
    youre implying blood elf players were any good at pvp?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mixxy View Post
    "Le-a" should be declarable...
    whats wrong with lea?

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    I work at a school. We've had some pretty stupid ones through the years. The usual eccentric-but-readable ones, like Prince, have been toppled by "Myking" and "Myqueen" and such alphabet soup vomit that I can't even type them without actually revealing a child's identity because there's no way a thousand games of Scrabble thrown in a blender would ever replicate that exact series of nonsense. Currently one kid straight up named "King" enrolled, too. Spoiler: he's an asshole.

Now, we have some odd ones that come from strong cultural backgrounds. That's fine. More power to them. But this wacky stuff has to stop because I can't keep up with the speed at which my language is being mutated and not knowing how to pronounce things bothers me.

Check out that momjunction link in the thread. "Mhavrych". Lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Check out that momjunction link in the thread. "Mhavrych". Lol.
    most ppl would just consider that some russian name they havent heard of, it only becomes ridiculous when its blatantly obvious what is implied, like number 1 and 27

And suddenly I'm reminded of the time the company behind Turok would pay parents who named their newborns after the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    And suddenly I'm reminded of the time the company behind Turok would pay parents who named their newborns after the game.
    they should name them tuvok instead

Lewis Black had a bit on this

Okay, just out of curiosity, is there some heathen language where that actually works and a lone C gets actually pronounced "cee" or is it just that the retarded mother can't spell for shit?

Either way, posting their full name on social media etc is something they shouldn't have done, they should have at least redacted the last name etc. If it turns out the mother really can't spell for shit then they certainly deserve public humiliation while adhering to basic privacy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I kindof like ab-said-ee for pronunciation. Sounds pretty.

Sometimes I feel like it's too bad that creativity with names is frowned upon, but it makes sense somewhat as most people don't want to spend several seconds trying to figure out how to pronounce your name. That would get exhausting if everyone's name had a super weird spelling/pronunciation.

I think the worst names I've seen were the ones after commercial products. Listerine, Aquafresh, etc.
    You should at least stay within the rules of your language.. afaik even the English language does not villy-nilly chain consonants and declares random singular letters as syllables to make it work.

"The dash don't be silent" is probablöy the worst example of this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jettisawn View Post
    it shouldn't be a big deal, however people are very judgmental and thus you should consider that when naming your kid.

As to the "pro name restriction crowd", kindly move to a middle eastern country if you want those kind of authoritarian rules.

muh freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post

Reminds me of poor kid who was named Salad-Lettuce and this wonderful gem "БОЧ рВФ 260602" (BOH oVFl 260602) (Biological Object Human of Voronin-Frolovykh lineage, born on 26.06.2002).

Quote Originally Posted by DinardJoulien View Post
    Reminds me of poor kid who was named Salad-Lettuce and this wonderful gem "БОЧ рВФ 260602" (BOH oVFl 260602) (Biological Object Human of Voronin-Frolovykh lineage, born on 26.06.2002).
    Okay having a shit name is one thing.. but having a lab designation should be grounds for child services to take over before you leave the hospital.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd laugh too, but I'm not an employee of that company. Just hold that chuckle until person left and laugh behind her back.

This kid will suffer if she even starts to get chubby. I can hear the kids now, "Hey look, here comes O-bcde (oh-bee-city)." She was probably looking at a baby name website and saw this at the bottom and thought, I like that one!

<< A B C D E >>

so that stupid cow named her kid abcde and then crys?

hope the kids sues her stupid mother for the name when she grows up

Quote Originally Posted by your mother View Post
    whats wrong with lea?
    Not Lea. "Le-a".

Spelled Le-a. Pronounced Ledasha.

Because "the dash don't be silent".

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Okay having a shit name is one thing.. but having a lab designation should be grounds for child services to take over before you leave the hospital.
    The father of this poor kid had attempted to change his name to similar Biological Object Human of something-something.

Something I find slightly amazing about this: They actually name the child in the article. In almost all cases where a child is involved in some controversy, they leave the child's name out to protect their identity. But this child's name is so obnoxiously stupid that they didn't have the base decency to do even that. And, generally, the unnamed child's name isn't even unique enough to make it easy to identify them. This seems like the type of parent Darwin Awards were made for.

Deleted
    If they wanted to name their child "Absidy", then they should've named their child that. "Absidy", as a name, isn't any weirder than "Cassidy" or whatever else. Sure, it'd probably be a brand new name, but so what.

Naming a child "Abcde" is just cruel, and I'm pretty sure in Finland, it would be against the law. But then again, in Finland, we read the words the way they're written, and we don't make up a pronunciation out of thin air.