Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Heads up - mind blowing concept ahead!

Sometimes people quote someone to build on what they said.
    well then word it differently, because it was very easy to infer you were directly replying to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Context matters. My response was to someone who seems to think normal dating is a little rapey. That's probably why my comment, which you quoted, says "so you think normal dating is "a little rapey"?"

You are just projecting or super defensive or something.
    Indeed, context matters. The guy was answering to someone who found the song "a little rapey." He answered that the song was showing normal dating and that it was not rapey. Not that normal dating is "a little rapey."

Seems like you are the one being projecting and superdefensive.

I feel like you failed to comprehend what the person I quoted said because, this diatribe here make zero sense associated with the context of that poster's commentary.
    Yes it does. He said that this is milked by "anti-sjws". I'm saying that both sides are acting the same way, taking unimportant facts and amplifying them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Huulo View Post
    Help me out here. Songs get added to and removed from radio stations all the time. Usually no one cares at all. Why is it crazy this time?
    Because the reason it is removed is just plain wrong. There is nothing "rapey" or disrespectful towards women in this song. There are recent songs that are far worst. And yes, you are right, usually no one cares when a song is being removed. The radio station itself made sure people would care by making it known that they were removing it. And it's not a new song either that was being judged offensive, no. It's an old Christmas song that has been covered and played for decades. So yeah, it is stupid.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

It's a creepy-ass song. Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post

Because the reason it is removed is just plain wrong. There is nothing "rapey" or disrespectful towards women in this song. There are recent songs that are far worst. And yes, you are right, usually no one cares when a song is being removed. The radio station itself made sure people would care by making it known that they were removing it. And it's not a new song either that was being judged offensive, no. It's an old Christmas song that has been covered and played for decades. So yeah, it is stupid.
    Well that's your opinion. I always thought it was creepy and so did a lot of other people. It's an old song and kind of a bad one. I don't see why we need to play the same old stuff year after year for eternity, as though we're frozen in time and our values haven't changed. And let's not forget, 99% of the thousands of radio stations in the country are still playing it, so there's been literally no harm done to anyone here. Getting upset about this seems incredibly pointless.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Oh noes, one radio station pulled one song! How ever will we survive!
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

Deleted
    Never heard this song before, so checked it up. Sounds like crap imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Putin-Chan View Post
    Oh noes, one radio station pulled one song! How ever will we survive!
    Based on this already 10 page thread, it seems like at least some people probably won't.

We cant be having subtlety and music from a different time with different social norms in 2018

Its not a rapey song, the lady wants to stay but doesnt want to be judged as a slut.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
    Now this is getting silly.

Christmas song "Baby its cold outside" has been pulled from a playlist by a radio station in Cleveland OH
    as it was seen at upsetting the #METOO Movement.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46413209

Local media report that listeners said the song was inappropriate and at odds with the #MeToo movement.

But a poll conducted on the station's Facebook page showed the majority of listeners did not want the song banned.

Glenn Anderson, a host at the Star 102 station, blogged that although the song was written in a different era, the lyrics felt "manipulative and wrong".

"The world we live in is extra sensitive now, and people get easily offended, but in a world where #MeToo has finally given women the voice they deserve, the song has no place."

Written by Frank Loesser in 1944, Baby It's Cold Outside has been covered by Lady Gaga, Michael Bublé, Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews and actors Will Ferrell and Zooey Deschanel in the movie Elf.

The tune takes the form of a back-and-forth conversation where a man tries to persuade his female guest not to risk the journey home in bad weather, but to have another drink and spend the night with him instead.

Normally performed as a duet between a man and a woman, it features lyrics such as:
    "I simply must go (But baby it's cold outside)
    The answer is no (But baby it's cold outside)."

Another line, "Say what's in this drink? (No cabs to be had out there)", is perhaps one of the most controversial, and has been
    interpreted by some as a reference to date rape.

Others, such as comedian Jen Kirkman, have pointed out that the phrase had a different meaning the the 1930s, and that the song was more complex than it might appear on the surface.

Should this Christmas classic be banned.. What do you think ?

snip vid

If you ask me station owner wanted to drum up some easy controversy for easy advertisement.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Cool story bro. Feel free to walk over to the nearest African American and call him a negro. It was totally acceptable once, and it's not like the appropriateness of words ever changes riiiiiight?
    the N-word has the exact same context now as in the 30s, while "what's in this drink?" meant something radically different back then.

Absolutely a song about something that people in 2019 would consider rape, but its just a song.
    People need to grow up if its actually offending them.
    It didn't happen to you.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

This song is unacceptable, but decades of rap degrading women into nothing more than a "bitch" or "hoe" is fine?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    This song is unacceptable, but decades of rap degrading women into nothing more than a "bitch" or "hoe" is fine?
    Maybe the radio station also doesnt play those songs!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    imagine being so sensitive that a christmas song offends you
    Not sure that's the problem tbh. People are stuck in this negative place where all they see is the worst in others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Based on this already 10 page thread, it seems like at least some people probably won't.
    And of course, it's some big leftist liberal thing, according to half the people in this thread.

Which is why I can't stand SJWs. Every time one of those tumblrists complain about some song or another that they're offended by, they give the right more fodder to insult the left.

As a liberal, I just find this "politically correct" crap very eyerolly. Like really guys? You can't at least be assed to understand the song's cultural context from the friggin 1930s to try to understand what it really means? There's nothing date rapey about the song.
    Putin khuliyo

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    As a liberal, I just find this "politically correct" crap very eyerolly. Like really guys? You can't at least be assed to understand the song's cultural context from the friggin 1930s to try to understand what it really means? There's nothing date rapey about the song.
    Honestly, people seem to be getting too lazy to bother with actually understanding shit before they react to it. I don't know about anyone else, but any time I order a dish or drink I've never tried, I always ask what's in it. That part of the song is exactly that. It's implied that the woman's a "lady", which at the time the song was written was a respectable woman with few vices. Her asking what's in the drink is more of a "how strong is this drink", not "hey, did you Cosby me?" It's also important to note that back then, it was pretty taboo for a woman to "stay the night" with a man alone, much less sleep with him, so the claims of it being "rapey" are just the ignorant rants of the knee-jerk, victim generation.

ban them, they're a radio station.
    they wanna show of their PC-tard hoist them by it.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Should have been pulled anyway on account of being absolute and total shit, a glowing symbol of everything that's wrong with the "music" industry.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Should have been pulled anyway on account of being absolute and total shit, a glowing symbol of everything that's wrong with the "music" industry.
    Yes, because it's not like half naked skanks parading around and rappers spitting out words about how they want to kill other people and also objectify women is somehow better than a song from the 40's

You leftists really are a bunch of fucking lunatics.

This is the dumbest shit i've ever heard in my life.

Has the metoo "movement" ran out of innocement male victims to ruin the careers of now that they hunted out all the truly guilty ones?