Tips for beginner BrM

Hello, guys!

I have recently started playing as brewmaster.

Do I understand correctly that all i do is use abilities on CD, keep 100% uptime of Ironskin Brew and periodically dwindle the stagger if its ticks are too high?
    If that's it, then basically I take constant damage (as in "not spiky") and if my HP is getting low then I cannot do anything and it's just on healer?
    Sorry for my English

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Generosus View Post
    Hello, guys!

Do I understand correctly that all i do is use abilities on CD, keep 100% uptime of Ironskin Brew and periodically dwindle the stagger if its ticks are too high?
    If that's it, then basically I take constant damage (as in "not spiky") and if my HP is getting low then I cannot do anything and it's just on healer?
    Thats all there is to it.

You can also consume your ox spheres for healing via expel harm if you'll take sudden spiky damage but generally yes, your job is to smoothen incoming damage as much as possible, purifying stagger and wasting brews on that is generally not recommended unless healer is REALLY struggling or you are fighting something like mythic fetid.
    zug zug

what is it paladin, one zug is not enough for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    lore should be voluntary to the game. not obligatory.

Thank you, guys!
    Sorry for my English

This is why I hate playing brewmaster nowadays. You have very few tools for survival at your disposal other than being able to negate big hits with stagger and ironskin brew increasing that amount. Its nothing like back in the day were you had a decent amount of self healing, a bucket load of cooldowns. Even the way that dampen harm used to be was alot more appealing for me than its new form which was a guarenteed 50% damage reduction for the next 3 hard hitting hits in the next 45secs.

Quote Originally Posted by mjolnrik View Post
    This is why I hate playing brewmaster nowadays.
    I don't think we really care about what you hate.

You have very few tools for survival at your disposal other than being able to negate big hits with stagger and ironskin brew increasing that amount.
    Uh.. newsflash thats a big deal.

This is why I hate playing brewmaster nowadays. You have very few tools for survival at your disposal other than being able to negate big hits with stagger and ironskin brew increasing that amount. Its nothing like back in the day were you had a decent amount of self healing, a bucket load of cooldowns. Even the way that dampen harm used to be was alot more appealing for me than its new form which was a guarenteed 50% damage reduction for the next 3 hard hitting hits in the next 45secs.
    self healing traits like Impassive visage give brewmaster a lot of self sustain. 2 impassive visage and I need next to no external healing on 10-12 keystones
    Last edited by dirtybrew; 2018-12-08 at 05:07 PM.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    This is nice advice - thanks for sharing.

(...)
    every tank sustain got nerfed coming into BFA, some more than others, but BrMs were never designed to be self sufficient like death knights or demon hunters, coming from a point of power which was Legion it can be hard NOT to be disgruntled, unfortunately there's not really much that can be done about it, the developers aren't really interested in feedback

ofc you're not forced into playing any particular class whether it be over or underpowered in a given patch cycle, many of my online friends made that choice, you should consider it as well

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybrew View Post
    self healing traits like Impassive visage give brewmaster a lot of self sustain. 2 impassive visage and I need next to no external healing on 10-12 keystones
    Wait what, really? I feel like I'm slowly dying and there's nothing I can do about it half the time LOL... sucks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yhcti View Post
    Wait what, really? I feel like I'm slowly dying and there's nothing I can do about it half the time LOL... sucks.
    no not really. there is no way to solo mythic+ groups as BRM due to azerite healing traits. let alone the +10-12 keys hes talking about, thats extremly exaggerated if not a plain lie.
    i do some dungeon world quests by going solo into normal mode. thats possible with the current level of healing, but nothing much above is.

Quote Originally Posted by Katamere View Post
    no not really. there is no way to solo mythic+ groups as BRM due to azerite healing traits. let alone the +10-12 keys hes talking about, thats extremly exaggerated if not a plain lie.
    i do some dungeon world quests by going solo into normal mode. thats possible with the current level of healing, but nothing much above is.
    Yeah i was going to say. It's completely different playing my dh/dk, hell even my Paladin had sweet selfhealing now. But the Monk... Oh god the Monk... It's just a situation like "well im dying, nothing I can do about it, gonna take awhile but i am dying here" I also feel I NEVER get spheres to use expel harm, like I only get them when mass Airing otherwise on 1-3 mobs I'll never see one

Quote Originally Posted by Katamere View Post
    Never said you could solo M+. I said the external healing you need is minimal with it until you get to hard content. Impassive visage is crazy good on BRM.

I may try some M+ as BRM then.. how far could a decently geared 370 Monk go you think, 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Generosus View Post
    Hello, guys!

That's it. You are completely dependent on the healer to keep you alive unless you get super lucky with orb procs.

There are few things you can do to keep yourself going for the healer. Healing Elixir gives you a decent heal, but overall Bob and Weave is better. Ring of Peace is very good against non-bosses. If you start to get low just drop it and you can then spam vivify while the mobs struggle to get to you.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

There is no "lucky orb", orbs aren't random, they spawn when you take 100% of your hp in damage pre-stagger.
    And it's not "all there is to it" , you have to pool purify charges to use them when they matter (which is not necessarily when your stagger is the highest, it all depends on how much your healer is available for you),also most of your damage has enough range to do a lot while kiting, so you can/should exploit that to semi-kite and take less damage, especially in higher keys.

And yeah with impassive visage traits and a boiling brew trait you require very little external healing.

All abilities on CD yes, but specifically your priority is Rushing Jade Wind 100% uptime > Keg Smash >>> Breath of Fire > Blackout Strike > Tiger Palm.

Don't neglect the Breath of Fire DOT. Make sure to only cast it when the Keg Smash debuff is on your target, and keeping it up on heavy-hitting targets is a very high priority because the damage reduction is no joke.

I'll add a couple of random tips:

- When Stagger is ticking for low damage on you, you don't have to do anything about it. Your goal is always to be able to be healed efficiently, and low damage ticking on you can be healed efficiently, which is always your main goal. You smooth damage, so make it smooth for your healers.
    - When you purify a lot of staggered dmg, beware that it can take 2-3 seconds for your healers to heal you up again. So don't let yourself drop too low and expect healers to instantly refill you. Your HP bar is not spikey. Just as damage on you takes a bit of time, healing also takes a bit because of the constant DoT on you.
    - Put your Expel Harm on an easy keybind, it's really good sometimes as it could heal you up for full when there's a couple of orbs lying around. I always use it when I'm low or when healers are busy. Sometimes it's like a Lay on Hands (instant full heal).
    - HoTs or effects that increase healing on you are good (a) because it fits your incoming damage pattern (slow but constant) and b) because your passive ability Celestial Fortune procs on each HoT tick), probably better than for other tanks
    - You don't need many defensive cooldowns because staggering and purifying is often enough, but you can still make great use of what you have (Fort. Brew, Zen Medit., maybe Dampen Harm if skilled). Remember that purify can be a defensive cooldown alternative, for example when you have ISB at high stacks and you know you'll be getting quite a bit of damage now, you can chain several Purifies together (and let ISB uptime tick lower) to take very little damage while saving your stronger CDs, until the high damage phase is over and you can stack up ISB more again (because it must never run out). Chaining Purifies is also neat near the end of a boss battle when you don't need to stack any more ISB because the fight is over in ~15 sec, might help healers a bit during those ~1% wipes or kills.
    - Remember that Stagger alone (without any other damage source) can never kill you (you'll stay at 1 HP), which can be useful to know for example in M+ when you kite mobs when being very low on HP. In M+, if you don't need it for anything else, Ring of Peace can grant you several seconds of peace and allow you to use some Vivifys on yourself in bad situations
    - Remember that Breath of Fire has good defensive use and you can time it a bit to be up for big hits
    - Remember that Zen Meditation gets cancelled when you get hit by melee so you have to time it well if you want to use it to counter a single big hit or spell

I'm sure there's more but these are from the top of my head
    Last edited by TaurenNinja; 2019-01-21 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gankhill View Post
    All abilities on CD yes, but specifically your priority is Rushing Jade Wind 100% uptime > Keg Smash >>> Breath of Fire > Blackout Strike > Tiger Palm.
    such missinformation can't stand as it is...

rjw is not that important at all. it helps keeping aoe threat but does nothing for your survival and that's why it's not nearly as important as described.
    Overall you should also try to mainly keep blackout strike on cd because the generated elusive brawlers stacks are way more benefical.

that for you should aim to keep it like this:

Keg Smash > Blackout Strike > Breath of Fire > RJW> Tiger Palm

Note that the part of BoF stays true. You can also consider this as a mini aoe cooldown so you should use it as this. Dont panick to keep this on cd: it's more benefical if you can give all mobs the Dot and waste 1 or 2 gcds.

Quote Originally Posted by TaurenNinja View Post
    I'll add a couple of random tips:
    - You don't need many defensive cooldowns because staggering and purifying is often enough, but you can still make great use of what you have (Fort. Brew, Zen Medit., maybe Dampen Harm if skilled). Remember that purify can be a defensive cooldown alternative, for example when you have ISB at high stacks and you know you'll be getting quite a bit of damage now, you can chain several Purifies together (and let ISB uptime tick lower) to take very little damage while saving your stronger CDs, until the high damage phase is over and you can stack up ISB more again (because it must never run out). Chaining Purifies is also neat near the end of a boss battle when you don't need to stack any more ISB because the fight is over in ~15 sec, might help healers a bit during those ~1% wipes or kills.
    This is an advice for one of the greatest mistakes you can make as Brm. Maybe in 2 of 100 cases it is a good idea to chain Purifies. But in generally speaking that is a very bad idea and should not be promoted to inexperienced players.

Quick Math example for the OP:

Let's say you have 1000 stagger. You purify -> boom it's 500 stagger. You purify again -> 250 stagger.

Should be clear as to why chaining purifies is a bad idea: every following purify looses in value.

Better:

1000 stagger -> purify -> 500 stagger -> wat x seconds so that stagger rises again to 1000 -> purify -> again 500 stagger.

That being said Taurenninja is not entirely wrong but that gameplay needs niche knowledge of bosses/trashpulls and without knowing exactly what you're doing it's a very bad idea to chain purifies. It always takes away one charge and probably will result in an overusage of purify which leads to you dropping ISB. Don't try that at home kids^^