Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    It will make more sense if you read this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...tate/34567549/

That's not taking into account things like student loans 40K is barely getting by.
    Yeah, that makes it far worse.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Indeed! This is what I keep saying. Minimum wage does not cover the cost of these categories at all in many places. Even removing the cost of a car loan and insurance as they can be considered a luxury if your area provides public transportation options, minimum wage still wouldn't cover it.
    My biggest question here is: Why wouldn't you move, instead of staying in a location like this, if you cannot even live here on a basic level?

I, myself, moved to the Midwest with $12 to my name and now live comfortably. My family? They still live where the rent is "too damn high".
    Last edited by RundinO; 2018-12-03 at 05:46 PM. Reason: grammar

You want higher wages? Stop the immigration, and you'll see an increase in wages like you've never seen it before. The employers will do it of their own volition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by RundinO View Post
    My biggest question here is: Why wouldn't you move, instead of staying in a location like this, if you cannot even live here on a basic level?

I, myself, moved to the Midwest with $12 to my name and now live comfortably. My family? They still live where the rent is "too damn high".
    You need money to move.

10+ Year Old Account
    My biggest question here is: Why wouldn't you move, instead of stay in a location like this if you cannot even live here on a basic level?

You're right! What sucks is when people are born in a state like NJ where it is insanely expensive to live, and get stuck here unless you are dealt a good enough hand to be able to leave as soon as you hit 18. Otherwise, you have to start paying what it takes to live here, which is a downward financial spiral. Fun Fact about NJ, it is free to come in, but you have to pay to leave (Turnpike). Which is totally the way this state is, we welcome people in, but once this state has it's financial grip on you, it is really hard to break free.

For me, I had come to a point where I could have uprooted with nothing tying me down. I had no money, but I also had no debt when I was 26. But sadly, I had no where to go where I wouldn't be living on the streets if I moved. I had no education past highschool, and didn't have any real marketable skills aside from being a quick learner. Instead, I decided to go to a Tech School and make enough money to where I can leave eventually, or just out power the cost of living.

I am getting very close to out powering the cost of living. One more promotion and I should be able to afford a house on my salary alone without my fiance's contributions. It was a long hard road, but I wasn't dealt a good hand to start with when I was born here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    You want higher wages? Stop the immigration, and you'll see an increase in wages like you've never seen it before. The employers will do it of their own volition.
    My solution to immigration of the illegal sort would be to report all businesses who hire illegal immigrants. Yes, they are here illegally, but who is giving them their livelihood? The employers!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    This hasn't ever proven to be the case though; certain industries that utilize a lot of foreign workers will simply die out, automate, or become luxury. You'll also shrink local economies by removing a lot of food and clothing consumers. No large corporations can get away with hiring them in the first place - they're all small local businesses you'd be making less competitive.

I see it the same way as paying taxes for schools, when I don't have a kid. Though it is my life that I am living, there are 7 billion people I share this planet with. It's not all about me and what i'm getting out of these systems. I am happy to help by paying taxes if it makes everyone's lives better.
    Also the most asinine thing in the world. :P

Further, I always found it hilarious when school would talk cutting after-school programs. People would freak out when it's either a.) more taxes, keep programs or b.) taxes the same, less programs.

Your average person, and more importantly - voter, don't grasp the concept that money doesn't come free. They (apparently?) think that the absolute only person who has a finite amount of money (budget) is people, not entities, especially public ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is also a massive issue too.

It's not just the UK that has this problem either.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    The "incentive" is the same as every other capitalist - to have/spend/bequeath more money. Why should "survival" be an incentive to sell your labor to someone? That shouldn't even be on the table, or you get terrible working conditions and wages.

Companies. Should. Not. Own. Us.
    So you're confirming that there is a whole lot of people in the country that simply don't care about bettering themselves/finding better paying jobs? I can assure you they are out there. They are within a persons city limits of being able to get to them.

This sounds akin to people not believing me when I tell them that *YES*, YES you can buy shrimp, lobster and filet minion on your EBT card.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what his job is currently "worth". Jobs change over the years and so do the requirements for said jobs.

Just like my current job requires a bit of typing and customer/supplier interaction, yet I don't need to write/physically type out my letter or meet up with said client to discuss matters. A quick email and/or video conference can do the trick.
    But how much more productive can you be when you can just send a quick email and/or video conference? So instead of physically visiting 1-2 customers in a day, you can virtually visit/attend to 10 or more (as an example).

I work in the customs brokerage industry and it involves (at the lowest level) data entry to submit details relating to shipments crossing the border from other countries into the United States. Basically filing entries with US Customs so they know how much duties to assess and what to inspect.

Back in the 80s and 90s, the entries were written by hand on typewriters while the drivers waited in the hallway. They required more entry writers and each entry took longer to file. Now? One entry writer can file dozens of entries an hour and even HUGE entries (hundreds of individual lines) can be filed faster due to automated solutions. But do you know what? They still work just as hard as those people in the 80s and 90s, just without drivers standing in their doorway pestering them (now they call) and without faxes coming through constantly (now it's email or fax to email). The means to produce the end product (the entries) may have been changed by technology, but the level of productivity expected from the employees has increased to compensate.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    You need money to move.
    ...you consider $12 a lot of money?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    So you're confirming that there is a whole lot of people in the country that simply don't care about bettering themselves/finding better paying jobs? I can assure you they are out there. They are within a persons city limits of being able to get to them.

This sounds akin to people not believing me when I tell them that *YES*, YES you can buy shrimp, lobster and filet minion on your EBT card.
    Yes, I'd say that - the difference between you and I, however, is that you say those people deserve to be homeless or dead. And why shouldn't you be able to buy those things with an EBT card? If you qualify for the card and want to blow your budget on it, go for it. If the incentive is so high to get government subsidized steak, why aren't you in line?

5+ Year Old Account
    You're right! What sucks is when people are born in a state like NJ where it is insanely expensive to live, and get stuck here unless you are dealt a good enough hand to be able to leave as soon as you hit 18.

I was born in Wrightstown, NJ near Fort Dix!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually curious of your circumstance in this example. How did you move to a different state with only $12?

Considering in many places you need a security deposit and a job to get an apartment, how did you get a place to live? How did you afford the money to get somewhere else? How were you feeding yourself? So on and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Considering the average millennial earns less than $40,000 a year, that’s a lot of money. So where does it all go? Here’s RockSteady2323’s breakdown:

No surprise, really, but what’s particularly notable is just how much housing chews up income, which, of course, varies from region to region and housing market to housing market. In California, with sky-high property values, 62% of RockSteady2323’s income goes to a house payment, up from 44% in the Midwest.

[snip img]

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/on...art-2018-06-13

$40,000 a year isn't a horrible income. I wouldn't want to live in an expensive location like San Francisco or New York though.
    That chart is very misleading, first chart is rent, second is rent, but somehow third is talking own? I presume rent since it says roommate but yea.

I don't really get how it says $4000, but then $3000 after roommate split? Wouldn't it be $2000?

Secondly, how in the hell can you try comparing prices of the first one being completely remodeled, full garage, big yard and then SoCal talks about a 2-bedroom condo? The literal only thing that chart effectively shows is what everyone knows... different areas have different markets. In other words, RockSteady2323 can have a comfortable living in a 2-bedroom condo, in a "decent" area in the Midwest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Never said that, but sleeping on the streets is hardly a good solution.

Population needs to take a hit, that'll solve most of the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Yes, I'd say that - the difference between you and I, however, is that you say those people deserve to be homeless or dead. And why shouldn't you be able to buy those things with an EBT card? If you qualify for the card and want to blow your budget on it, go for it. If the incentive is so high to get government subsidized steak, why aren't you in line?
    I think you're missing the point?

I never said they deserve to be dead or homeless? I don't think artificially making them not "dead or homeless" by magically making their current job pay more (double typically) is a solution. Are you seriously asking why someone, who needs government assistance, should't be able to buy something that has a high price-tag items like that? So let them burn through their benefits and... become dead or homeless due to no more money for food? :P *Note, I am not saying welfare programs should be abolished. I do think they need to be reigned in AND go back to what they were designed for, temporary assistance.

I never said the incentive is high to go on the program, I will say the incentive is very high to scam the system. What's that it's you and your boyfriend living together? Say he doesn't live with you. Case worker coming by to check-in on you? "Honey, can you go out with your friends for a few hours?". Trust me, it happens. I have first-hand experience with the shit.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    Population needs to take a hit, that'll solve most of the issues.
    We'll run out of water in the next 50 years from our consumption heavy economies; that should do the trick.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dayne87 View Post
    But how much more productive can you be when you can just send a quick email and/or video conference? So instead of physically visiting 1-2 customers in a day, you can virtually visit/attend to 10 or more (as an example).

I work in the customs brokerage industry and it involves (at the lowest level) data entry to submit details relating to shipments crossing the border from other countries into the United States. Basically filing entries with US Customs so they know how much duties to assess and what to inspect.

Back in the 80s and 90s, the entries were written by hand on typewriters while the drivers waited in the hallway. They required more entry writers and each entry took longer to file. Now? One entry writer can file dozens of entries an hour and even HUGE entries (hundreds of individual lines) can be filed faster due to automated solutions. But do you know what? They still work just as hard as those people in the 80s and 90s, just without drivers standing in their doorway pestering them (now they call) and without faxes coming through constantly (now it's email or fax to email). The means to produce the end product (the entries) may have been changed by technology, but the level of productivity expected from the employees has increased to compensate.
    I'm not saying all employers offer a competitive hourly/salary rate, but this is where choice comes in handy. If someone feels they are being taken advantage of or they simply aren't making the money they think they should, why stay?

There are MANY jobs out there that are willing to pay you a dime on the dollar for the same work another company will pay you more for and a good job is hard to find, but not impossible. Will you be able to pull in 6-7 figure incomes? Likely not for most, but people also need to be willing to meet the job search halfway in order to overcome as many hurdles as possible by having the ability to move to another location as an option. The only ultimate limiting factor is the person. Sadly, with most people, this is also where excuses like "But I can't find any jobs" or "I can't afford to move elsewhere" come in.