Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    As a warrior I'd probably avoid a decent mage unless I knew I was getting heals. I did used to love going in after a raid with a healer or two and feeling like Godzilla.

Quote Originally Posted by ignitar View Post
    There are vanilla ladders? I just remember melee shredding everyone once they got aq/naxx gear. It wasn't even funny.

Yep.
    everyone shreded everyone in aq/naxx gear. Think azeral's first video had a duel section of him as a lock vs the classes in 1v1 while everyone geared to the teeth, pretty much a gib/fps fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Xkiller9000 View Post
    a skilled mage can destroy people so, relax
    and look good in twill

Everyone is all like "warlocks are mushrooms".
    In endgame vanilla warlocks are borderline unbeatable.

3 Dots, two of which are instant (and the third you can just do after death coil) will pretty much kill anything in seconds, it's hilarious.
    Shadowreflector will be mandatory if you even want to put up a fight as most classes.

Deleted
    Now that we're educated and not clicking, is no one worried about the melee wombo combo taking over and becoming the norm in pvp? Movies have shown properly geared melee can walk all over other classes, in some cases without any possible counter play. I'm all about no changes, but I feel if I don't go rogue/warrior I am intentionally gimping myself.
    Good players didnt click back in the days... bad players STILL clicking. You are full of shit mister.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warriors sucked in vanilla unless you have a full team to support you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    and look good in twill
    what may I inquire, were you thinking on that day, when you conjured up, for a man like me, a robe that looks so gay

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glowzone View Post

3 Dots, two of which are instant (and the third you can just do after death coil) will pretty much kill anything in seconds, it's hilarious.
    Shadowreflector will be mandatory if you even want to put up a fight as most classes.
    People will LEARN when they start facing these underrated classes/specs, what true fear is like.

"Warlocks are squishy! Rogues can just stunlock them to death!" Proceeds to get swatted away like annoying mosquitos by SL Warlocks.
    "Druids are awful in vanilla! Can only run the flag!" Proceeds to get blasted in 1v1 by near unbeatable hybrid Druid.

Fun times are ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Warriors sucked in vanilla unless you have a full team to support you.
    If the warrior was wearing anything before BWL, yeah.

After that, not so much.
    Noob Blocker share link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fgD...ew?usp=sharing

I am not the original author of this addon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by evogsr View Post
    If the warrior was wearing anything before BWL, yeah.

After that, not so much.

After that they still sucked if they didn't have a healer behind them, and people stupid enough to ignore the heal.

I did play PvP in classic, not in premades or to get ranks, but in downtimes just for the heck of it. Going in there as a raid-geared warlock changed into SL spec (I was alch and an auctionhouse nut so I could afford the frequent respecs) I ate most warriors and rogues for breakfast. Not because I was good or anything, but because, surprise surprise, most of them were terrible. And guess what: Most players are still terrible.

People have a skewed opinion of this from watching garbage "PvP Videos" from that era. What makes those Videos garbage? They only show the wins, the moments of glory. They are not showcasing PvP, they are pretty little lies with a soundtrack matching the target audience of easily impressed 14y olds. Play 100h of PvP, and spend 2 days editing, everyone comes out a superstar, no matter how badly he plays.

That's not to say that some PvPers from that time weren't excellent players, but even they lost fights, got kited to death, got caught with their pants down. The only difference is, those scenes either don't make it into any video at all or are presented as funny little "outtakes" making it seem to the target audience like an "oops" that couldn't possibly happen to this god on a regular basis.

As much as I despise the streaming-scene, there is one thing to say for modern day PvPers...their presentation has gotten a lot more honest.
    Last edited by mmoc76fffd2ed2; 2018-12-06 at 08:12 AM.

Melee dominance in bed is real yo...
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

How do you intend to flex on a rogue who opens from stealth and 100 -> 0's you in a single combo?
    The simple answer would be to get gear with stam and enchants on it.

That being said I think people here have seen too many videos from guy's like monkey news or other top melee dps players and don't realize that he's only showing you clips where he's winning. Even mediocre mages will give a warrior or rogue a hard time, shaman and pallies will have it even more difficult. Really it boils down to your spec more than anything else. Soul link warlocks, frost mages, and shadow priests won't be getting destroyed any time soon.

There'll be a bunch of warriors that don't quite reach 60 when they realize how freaking wonderful it was to do it in the quest greens. Or that will quit when desperately gearing up to not get eaten by everyone.
    The unearthly large population of (undead) rogues will get a bit further, but not that far after realizing the majority of playerbase isn't as potato as the opponents in world of roguecraft were.
    And at the end of the day we will reach the typical WoW equilibrium where every class sucks and is OP at the same time. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think vanilla was balanced as the game has never been and never will be. So yeah, that being said it'll be all good (or bad, whichever way you see it) in Azeroth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ifrah View Post
    The unearthly large population of (undead) rogues will get a bit further, but not that far after realizing the majority of playerbase isn't as potato as the opponents in world of roguecraft were..
    Plus a sizeable number of would-be-Angwes who will quickly re-roll (or give up) when they realize that their gear requirements will be contested by

half their factions population (rogues) + 1 quarter of their factions population (hunters) + 1/8th of their factions population (fury Warriors)

Quote Originally Posted by wegwacc View Post
    After that they still sucked if they didn't have a healer behind them, and people stupid enough to ignore the heal.

I did play PvP in classic, not in premades or to get ranks, but in downtimes just for the heck of it. Going in there as a raid-geared warlock changed into SL spec (I was alch and an auctionhouse nut so I could afford the frequent respecs) I ate most warriors and rogues for breakfast. Not because I was good or anything, but because, surprise surprise, most of them were terrible. And guess what: Most players are still terrible.

People have a skewed opinion of this from watching garbage "PvP Videos" from that era. What makes those Videos garbage? They only show the wins, the moments of glory. They are not showcasing PvP, they are pretty little lies with a soundtrack matching the target audience of easily impressed 14y olds. Play 100h of PvP, and spend 2 days editing, everyone comes out a superstar, no matter how badly he plays.

That's not to say that some PvPers from that time weren't excellent players, but even they lost fights, got kited to death, got caught with their pants down. The only difference is, those scenes either don't make it into any video at all or are presented as funny little "outtakes" making it seem to the target audience like an "oops" that couldn't possibly happen to this god on a regular basis.

As much as I despise the streaming-scene, there is one thing to say for modern day PvPers...their presentation has gotten a lot more honest.
    If that's what you think, the only thing I can tell you is that you encountered shitty/keyturning warriors who may have been handed good gear. Yeah, I encountered some of those too, of course it wasn't just limited to warriors.

You're not wrong that there was a point in time for warriors, especially before BWL where being followed around by a healer was standard to perform, but after the gear power curve hit a certain point, the player was clad in it, and class review occurred, the equation of needing a healer or constant support stopped being the class SOP and gave us the freedom to perform well without being tethered to another player. In GM gear, and not long after when better fill in pieces from AQ and Naxx became available, I could absolutely style on just about any combination of players except a mage + healer in my gear range/tier. More so after those tiers of gear gave fury such a large boost in retarded levels of upfront and sustained damage.

I'm confident in my ability to play the class well, having hit glad several times in the years after Vanilla but really what it boiled down to (back in Vanilla and in general) in concert with adequate gear, was not being a brainlet. Any other warriors I played with on my server with high end gear, had similar results without a healer or rogue squad following them around to shine.
    Last edited by evogsr; 2018-12-06 at 08:32 PM.
    Noob Blocker share link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fgD...ew?usp=sharing

I am not the original author of this addon.

How do you intend to flex on a rogue who opens from stealth and 100 -> 0's you in a single combo?
    probably not run around with sub 3k hp

A geared hunter is a pain in the ass, will shoot you from the distance and won`t even get sweat )) Yeah that`s for sure

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by evogsr View Post
    If that's what you think, the only thing I can tell you is that you encountered shitty/keyturning warriors who may have been handed good gear. Yeah, I encountered some of those too, of course it wasn't just limited to warriors.

You're not wrong that there was a point in time for warriors, especially before BWL where being followed around by a healer was standard to perform, but after the gear power curve hit a certain point, the player was clad in it, and class review occurred, the equation of needing a healer or constant support stopped being the class SOP and gave us the freedom to perform well without being tethered to another player. In GM gear, and not long after when better fill in pieces from AQ and Naxx became available, I could absolutely style on just about any combination of players except a mage + healer in my gear range/tier. More so after those tiers of gear gave fury such a large boost in retarded levels of upfront and sustained damage.

I'm confident in my ability to play the class well, having hit glad several times in the years after Vanilla but really what it boiled down to (back in Vanilla and in general) in concert with adequate gear, was not being a brainlet. Any other warriors I played with on my server with high end gear, had similar results without a healer or rogue squad following them around to shine.
    Yes, that is you, a reasonably well geared, well played warrior.

Hate to break this to you, but most people weren't like that, especially not in BGs Most people playing this game were, and still are, terrible, and in a world where there are no wellfare epics to be had, the terrible players stand out even more, not only for not knowing what to do, but also for wearing blue crap with the odd randomepic thrown in they got from someone merciful enough to drag them through MC once or twice.

This is the average player, the vast majority of players you will encounter in BGs.

And that's why I am not worried about melee dominance.

As to people like you: I had fights I remember to this day, even though they occurred 12 years ago. I look forward to seeing you, and like minded players in BGs again, with all the craziness and imbalance and weirdness that was Classic. I will be on my Warlock, bring your Warrir and lets hae a blast =)

Quote Originally Posted by glowzone View Post

vanilla PvP was not balanced around 1v1

vanilla PvP was not balanced around anything since PvP as a whole was an afterthought

Warlocks only become what you describe once you have like, full Naxx gear. At which point, everyone else has full Naxx gear as well and becomes equally dangerous. Even so, you wanna know how to beat a warlock? Restorative Potion. Bam, dots / fears / curses auto-dispelled every 5 seconds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Warlocks only become what you describe once you have like, full Naxx gear.
    Bullshit.

I killed people just with Corr/CoA and Draining, running around Soullink specced all the way from BWL gear, to the end of Vanilla.