Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why is pointing out race and deverstay = horrible human person aka Racist

Question, why is having race stereotypes a very bad thing? Why do people equate it with genocide? Like saying that a certain demographic does certain things? Saying that a lot of Croatians drink rakija, are Christian etc is racist, but it's not wrong?

Seeing some of the times in the topics when a person mentions some data etc, he is labeled. I wonder, how did something like diversity, that can be beautiful and gave the world and its history such different cultures be a bad thing if you point thous diversity out?

I am not the typical Croatian, still would not get so offended if someone took me for one, whatever image that might be.

Here you go, I'll make it easy for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

There you go, no need to make a thread about it (and get banned in the process for pushing a prohibited topic).

Quote Originally Posted by Innugammii View Post
    Question, why is having race stereotypes a very bad thing? Why do people equate it with genocide? Like saying that a certain demographic does certain things? Saying that a lot of Croatians drink rakija, are Christian etc is racist, but it's not wrong?

Seeing some of the times in the topics when a person mentions some data etc, he is labeled. I wonder, how did something like diversity, that can be beautiful and gave the world and its history such different cultures be a bad thing if you point thous diversity out?

I am not the typical Croatian, still would not get so offended if someone took me for one, whatever image that might be.
    First off, no one equates stereotyping with genocide.

Second off, statistics can always be manipulated to suit a given agenda.

Saying Croats are Christian mostly or drink rakija is not racist. No one would claim it is. Claiming Jews control the media and governments of the West and practice blood sacrifice is. I'm Greek, claiming Greeks love raki, ouzo, and eating seafood is not racist, no one would claim it is. Claiming blacks are sub-human is. See the sorts of differences between harmless ethnic stereotypes and actual racism?

Another example:

Croats are mostly Christian and drink a lot of rakija while listening to brass-band music. Not racist, just stereotyping.

Croats are fanatical Catholics who love to mass-murder Muslims and Orthodox for fun. That is a stereotype, but it is also pretty bigoted.

Greeks are mostly Orthodox Christian and drink a lot of wine and ouzo. Not racist, just stereotyping.

Greeks are all lazy, parasitical thieves who all engage in gay sex. Stereotyping that crosses the line into bigotry again.

You're conflating actual bigotry with stereotyping in an effort to make bigotry ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post

Saying Croats are Christian mostly or drink rakija is not racist. No one would claim it is. Claiming Jews control the media and governments of the West and practice blood sacrifice is. I'm Greek, claiming Greeks love raki, ouzo, and eating seafood is not racist, no one would claim it is. Claiming blacks are sub-human is. See the sorts of differences between harmless ethnic stereotypes and actual racism?

Another example:

Croats are mostly Christian and drink a lot of rakija while listening to brass-band music. Not racist, just stereotyping.

Croats are fanatical Catholics who love to mass-murder Muslims and Orthodox for fun. That is a stereotype, but it is also pretty bigoted.

Greeks are mostly Orthodox Christian and drink a lot of wine and ouzo. Not racist, just stereotyping.

Greeks are all lazy, parasitical thieves who all engage in gay sex. Stereotyping that crosses the line into bigotry again.

You're conflating actual bigotry with stereotyping in an effort to make bigotry ok.
    WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT THA......I mean... no.. thats all total racism... *whistles nonchalantly*

What the heck is Rakija?

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT THA......I mean... no.. thats all total racism... *whistles nonchalantly*
    I'm shocked, shocked, I say!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    What the heck is Rakija?
    It's a Balkan alcohol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakia

Literally 5 seconds at wiki.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Here you go, I'll make it easy for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

There you go, no need to make a thread about it (and get banned in the process for pushing a prohibited topic).
    WTF you talking about? Why should i get banned? It's not even about any race, its about the philosophy about it, and the approach

- - - Updated - - -

Another example:

Ya could be , good points, i might get thous things mixed up. I mix them up, probably cos i see somewhat of thous examples used for race cop out naming.

But can i be honest? Like, ya , there is quite a number of Croatians the same way you described them as , fanatical idiots, you would not be entirely wrong saying that. Making such a presumption. Still not ok ofc.

Dnk , still not 100% convinced
    Last edited by mmoc1e09114525; 2018-12-05 at 12:34 PM.

cause we're from a generation of pansies. equality is a joke. between races and genders. the differences we have are baked in since the beginning of time. People tout how beautiful it is to be different, then argue that we arent.

Equality in an ideological sense has been around for 100 years give or take. People think they can now alter millenia of evolution and its cute to watch, but children are indoctrinated with it and thus its having a negative effect. The turmoil isnt coincidental thats for sure.

Since the beginning of time people have protected their own, whether it be their own race, or their own country. Suddenly thats demonized. Course masculinity was also celebrated, now its suppressed. And people wonder why male testosterone levels have taken a nose dive even since our grandfathers era. Even women are taught to be less feminine (at least when it suits them).

Course this can be discussed ad nauseum. The kids will deny it till theyre blue in the face, and thats pretty much that.

I get ideals are cute and sweet. I'd lvoe to hold hands and all that too. But lets be realistic. we're animals with hard wired behaviors disguised as choice. Some things need to be accepted.

the world is a hot mess. Diversity/inclusion means hiring people based on their gender, or race. Awesome practice. How about we hire based on experience and merit and forget the irrelevant shit?

Hollywood is another one. "We want equal representation" (speaking of the african actors). Someone needs to tell them that they make up like 10% of our population, so statistically speaking theyre OVER represented already. This can be applied to all the SJW expecting this or that based on arbitrary labels.

reminds me of a short vid I saw on facebook congratulating people born in the early 80s and before basically for being the last real folks who had to play outside and didnt worry about their kids drinking pop giving them autism or whatever the new fun is for the day.

diiiiiigressing something major.
    Last edited by klepp0906; 2018-12-05 at 12:36 PM.

Another example:

The bolded part would be considered racist in America. Saying a certain culture or race eats certain things or drinks certain things can and is deemed racist by a large number of people here. Don't you remember the outrage at KFC for having black people enjoying their food? Saying black people like fried chicken and watermelon is considered racist, especially if you are white saying it.

Many stereotypes are based on truth, but pointing out stereotypes will and usually does get you labelled as racist. Asians being good at math and bad drivers will get you called racist. Saying Indians (those from India) own 7-11s will get you called racist (just look at Apu from the Simpsons). Saying all taxi drivers in NYC are arabic will get you called racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    The bolded part would be considered racist in America. Saying a certain culture or race eats certain things or drinks certain things can and is deemed racist by a large number of people here. Don't you remember the outrage at KFC for having black people enjoying their food? Saying black people like fried chicken and watermelon is considered racist, especially if you are white saying it.

Many stereotypes are based on truth, but pointing out stereotypes will and usually does get you labelled as racist. Asians being good at math and bad drivers will get you called racist. Saying Indians (those from India) own 7-11s will get you called racist (just look at Apu from the Simpsons). Saying all taxi drivers in NYC are arabic will get you called racist.
    Yeah, Americans have their own weird hangups on that issue; probably a result of the abysmal relations between whites and blacks in the US.. I never got that, and I've been in the US for more than 15 years. Certain foods and drinks are associated with cultures, hard to see how anyone can think there's something racist there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Question, why is having race stereotypes a very bad thing?
    Other people can tell you about stereotypes, but one important thing to understand is that human races, most likely, don't exist. At least not in a biological sense (maybe social). Since genetic information is becoming more understood by the year, we are also witnessing that our previous indexing of organisms doesn't always hold up: i.e. genetic information does not always confirm our idea of (for example) races, as they were often based on visual appearances. It often refutes it even.

Same goes for human races: there is no genetic proof that humans can be divided into races. Populations (relatively small groups of people in an area) and geographical location can be reasonably well differentiated though, but these offer no significant distinction that enables us to define races.

I think this is a nice picture that shows part of the issue. It follows several genetic locations and how they evolved over/between geographical areas. It shows how interconnected and mixed our "races" really are. By calling out "race", you are basically removing all the horizontal/diagonal lines and claim it is some separate entity, which it obviously is not. Source of picture: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23684745

But now the biggest part,
    is all about the image
    and not the art

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klepp0906 View Post
    cause we're from a generation of pansies. equality is a joke. between races and genders. the differences we have are baked in since the beginning of time. People tout how beautiful it is to be different, then argue that we arent.

Equality in an ideological sense has been around for 100 years give or take. People think they can now alter millenia of evolution and its cute to watch, but children are indoctrinated with it and thus its having a negative effect. The turmoil isnt coincidental thats for sure.

Since the beginning of time people have protected their own, whether it be their own race, or their own country. Suddenly thats demonized. Course masculinity was also celebrated, now its suppressed. And people wonder why male testosterone levels have taken a nose dive even since our grandfathers era. Even women are taught to be less feminine (at least when it suits them).

Course this can be discussed ad nauseum. The kids will deny it till theyre blue in the face, and thats pretty much that.

I get ideals are cute and sweet. I'd lvoe to hold hands and all that too. But lets be realistic. we're animals with hard wired behaviors disguised as choice. Some things need to be accepted.

reminds me of a short vid I saw on facebook congratulating people born in the early 80s and before basically for being the last real folks who had to play outside and didnt worry about their kids drinking pop giving them autism or whatever the new fun is for the day.

diiiiiigressing something major.
    I get your point, in a way I would agree to an extante , differences are not a necessary evil.
    I my self would like that there is far less bloodshed, murder and "evil" things, but looking at penguins raping bead seal babies, nature apparently has its way.

I find in deversetfy beauty, same as pointing it out, even if it might be insulting.

Would not people say, that same as race-bating, calling someone sometimes out as a racist only cos he pointed out some of the behavior and cultural observed behavior

Another example:

tl;dr

you cant be racist towards whites but everything is racist if its towards "people of color".

How expected on this site lol.

Quote Originally Posted by AboikoS View Post
    tl;dr

you cant be racist towards whites but everything is racist if its towards "people of color".

Obviously you didn't read my post if that's the flaccid argument you're making.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Not all racism comes with negative conotations. Racial stereotypes such as "All asians are good at math" or "black people are good at running" are also racism. It's also racism to state that because of ethnicity, someone does something. White people don't drink moco latte because they're white and black people aren't poor because they're black. Those are just examples.
    Not sure where you get that people equate it to genocide, it seems you've gone off on a tangent we don't know anything about.

Some things are offensive to some and others aren't. You have to gauge your company and think about what's right to say and to whom. There's a time, place and person for different things.

Yeah, Americans have their own weird hangups on that issue; probably a result of the abysmal relations between whites and blacks in the US.. I never got that, and I've been in the US for more than 15 years. Certain foods and drinks are associated with cultures, hard to see how anyone can think there's something racist there.
    Because the origins were an unfair stereotype, one that was generated by the KKK.

Quote Originally Posted by https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/02/heres-why-your-fried-chicken-and-watermelon-lunch-racist/357814/
    According to Claire Schmidt at the University of Missouri, it started with Birth of a Nation, the 1915 film on the founding of Ku Klux Klan. In one scene:

[A] group of actors portraying shiftless black elected officials acting rowdy and crudely in a legislative hall. (The message to the audience: These are the dangers of letting blacks vote.) Some of the legislators are shown drinking. Others had their feet kicked up on their desks. And one of them was very ostentatiously eating fried chicken.

"That image really solidified the way white people thought of black people and fried chicken," Schmidt said.
    As for Watermelon

From Theodore Johnson writing for The Huffington Post:

Just as the undesirable leftovers of farm animals, such as pig intestines and feet, are linked to the slave diet, watermelon is the food most associated with the 19th and 20th century depictions of blacks as lazy simpletons.

It was 'associated with cultures' as a means to insult, ridicule and belittle them.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously you didn't read my post if that's the flaccid argument you're making.
    While his response is idiotic, I'd have to point out that the examples you gave ARE racism. Stereotyping is racist.

WTF you talking about? Why should i get banned? It's not even about any race, its about the philosophy about it, and the approach

- - - Updated - - -

Ya could be , good points, i might get thous things mixed up. I mix them up, probably cos i see somewhat of thous examples used for race cop out naming.

But can i be honest? Like, ya , there is quite a number of Croatians the same way you described them as , fanatical idiots, you would not be entirely wrong saying that. Making such a presumption. Still not ok ofc.

Dnk , still not 100% convinced
    Forbidden Topics
    ...keep in mind the post contents/subjects that are not allowed:
    Posts that contribute nothing ("what does this have to do with WoW" etc)
    Meme replies (LOL, TL;DR, OVER 9000, /thread etc)
    Image macros and image memes
    "Do my homework for me" threads. (Asking for a push in the right direction is ok.)
    Religion
    Race/Ethnicity
    Nationalism and nation bashing
    Conspiracies
    Sexually-explicit/Nudity
    Sexuality, Gender, Gender identity
    Medical Advice
    Graphic violence or gore images/videos
    Content that is dangerous or considered illegal

Yep, it is that simple. All you are really doing, is begging for an excuse to be racist.

- - - Updated - - -

tl;dr

Umm, did you even read what he typed? He laid it out perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Because the origins were an unfair stereotype, one that was generated by the KKK.

As for Watermelon
    I'm not judging, I was saying the US does have a more turbulent history with the race issue. In the Balkans, meanwhile, it's all about the tribal, ethnic conflict. Outsides can't ell us apart, but we sure do like bleeding each other out over religion and borders. Everyone's got their hangups.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    While his response is idiotic, I'd have to point out that the examples you gave ARE racism. Stereotyping is racist.
    So saying Greeks as a nation eat a lot of seafood (a fact) is racist? Or saying Croats drink a lot of rakija (due to it being a regional alcohol variant) is racist? I guess saying Americans eat a lot of fast food is racist now.

Deleted
    tl;dr

Its okay to be racist, just dont be anti-Semitic.
    Questioning the 1,3,6, now 20 gorillion > casual anti-semitism, like pointing on wooden doors and windows > hurting the feelings of "new europeans" > being racist