Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I have to agree with the OP with issue.

Things like the night elf from the warbringers video, after all that occured in that video and everything she said there, suddenly in 8.1. she in her free will turns against her own people and follow Sylvanas after everything that happened.

It is clearly a WTF moment for me. But as Ion has lectured us in his post Blizzcon interview, Blizzard has everything under control because stories are supposed to have ups and downs and Blizzard knows exactly what they are doing, so the costumers should just shut up and wait for the next chapters...

Man, i love that blizzard director... /S

What I don't get is if this is indeed supposed to be unanswered, why the fuck doesn't anyone in the scenario question it?

No, "Hey Sylvanas, I thought you could raise only humans?" or "Why would night elves only mere moments ago loyal to the Kal'dorei turn against their leader?"

It would be so simple as to have one NPC there question this shit for players to suddenly understand and accept "Oh, okay. Something here isn't adding up, but it's intentional storytelling and not Blizzard's writers being completely incompetent." But no. There's no level of self-awareness of the absurdity of Kal'dorei dark rangers which leads me to believe there's nothing more we need to know, which can only lead us to the assumption that Blizzard's WoW team is actually one of the most awful writing teams in history.

It's not that we're missing information. There's no information to miss, and nothing more to it other than "lol lore". This is probably the lowest low that Blizzard has ever reached when it comes to writing and that honestly just says so much.

Im holding before I panic on another stupid story plotline, but I'm thinking maybe they want Wardens as a class maybe someday in the future, and need Horde to have access to it first... so wam! Undead dark rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Considering Dark Ranger is the next Hero Class which will probably include Forsaken (New Generation) and Human (like Nathanos) as race options, I see it as them fitting that into the plot as preparation for the Class.
    While i agree that Blizz are making a conspicuously big song-and-dance about dark rangers, i don't really see the material for a whole class in what are in essence "edgelord"-specced hunters...

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    I think if they do dark rangers it's going to be those lightforged undead for the Alliance that came out of bloody nowhere.
    One person being a lightforged undead doesn't exactly mean there are going to be more. Granted, they did that ass pull once before with Void Elves, but is Blizzard really that stupid as to do something like that again?

It does open up to the possibility of having the idea of "evil" Light though. If the Light is forcefully resurrecting the dead to serve like the Legion did with the Scourge, how are they any better? Illidan's redemption story and Alleria's transformation kind of started this snowball effect of "just because a force is considered good or bad, that doesn't mean there can't be the opposite at times" argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Can dwarves and gnomes become dark rangers according to canon?
    I mean, there shouldn't really be anything stopping other races to become one?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont get how youre suprised that some nightelves go traitor, that happens like constantly.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    I have to agree with the OP with issue.

Things like the night elf from the warbringers video, after all that occured in that video and everything she said there, suddenly in 8.1. she in her free will turns against her own people and follow Sylvanas after everything that happened.

It is clearly a WTF moment for me. But as Ion has lectured us in his post Blizzcon interview, Blizzard has everything under control because stories are supposed to have ups and downs and Blizzard knows exactly what they are doing, so the costumers should just shut up and wait for the next chapters...

Man, i love that blizzard director... /S
    Alucald said in another post, maybe they are being mind controlled the nelves that losed hope, there is the val'kyr toy at the end of the scenario and says: It's said the one with strongest will is capable of controlling the raised and considering Sylvanas in this war is doing everything to win it quickly, I won't put that aside, also maybe they are just sleeper agents of the death god that is behind of the death of Vol'jin and whisper to name the dead elf as warchief and when the moment comes, he will reveal himself and take his new army forsaken and the better twist, Sylvanas will be furious because she was used again(for more lolz make Arthas that death god that is wanting to return and corrupt Azeroth)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    So you’ve never heard of Stockholm syndrome? Or people that are legitimately crazy? The very very tiny minority of night elves were raised by Sylvanas. The rest refused. The night elves that were raised felt betrayed by their leaders and their own goddess. You keep talking trash about the writers but you and everyone else who complains about this non stop doesn’t even realize that maybe the problem is you, the player that has such a narrow and shallow way of looking at things that anything that dares to be different is “bad writing.”
    That's true, people who are against how Garrosh and Sylvanas are being written, and the Horde's obviously villainous behavior, and crying about "shit writing" are the problem.

Good point!

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post

I'm not in the mood to buy one of these:
    Hold on, are those shirts real ?

Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    thats false, basically all the necromancer we saw control their rised. even in TFT after illidan spell the nathrezims mindcontrolled the half part of the scourge not became forsaken.

oh, and its a lot more dumb that the race that outlawed arcane magic, in vanilla formed an alliance with the main arcane users (humans and gnomes) then in tbc went in quelthalas to spy their hated arcane user cousins, then in cata allowed old highbornes to return and at the same time wardens murdered them.
    Those weren't *sentient* undead, though. Therein lies the point. Death Knights can control ghouls, because they are not sentient; they're effectively "golems", but instead of being made of clay or whatever, they're constructed from corpses. Same thing with Abominations. They aren't "people".

It may seem like choosing straws, but these distinctions are crucial in understanding how everything transpired during and after WC3.

By the same token, having Night Elves willingly turn to serving Sylvanas is both bad writing *AND* fundamentally undermines over a decade of established lore.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    While i agree that Blizz are making a conspicuously big song-and-dance about dark rangers, i don't really see the material for a whole class in what are in essence "edgelord"-specced hunters...
    I don't either, but let's see it not stop them. It'll probably be another two-specc hero class with either some kind of hokey, weirdly concepted tank or healer specc or just straight up two dps speccs.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    Sylvanis is strong enough to fight for control of the Shadowlands. Helya for all her power was still bound by the rules of the place, as we learned when she was forced to honor her deal with us, and she is far above Sylvanis.
    Sylvanas will have N'Zoth in her blade though, that is a lot of power at her side.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    There is plenty of material for them don't you worry, I have planned one out already just from things Sylvanas can do in both WoW and HotS.

Didn't you get the memo? Blizzard stopped caring about their lore some time ago.

So I'm clear, we're questioning why raised from the dead Nelves would instantly turn against the Nelves, even though we know, for a fact, Nelves (and all Alliance races) will instantly turn against raised from the dead Nelves (or Humans, etc.).

The one constant in all of WoW lore is the Alliance's hatred, fear and loathing of the undead that starts the literal second they become undead.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    So I'm clear, we're questioning why raised from the dead Nelves would instantly turn against the Nelves, even though we know, for a fact, Nelves (and all Alliance races) will instantly turn against raised from the dead Nelves (or Humans, etc.).

The one constant in all of WoW lore is the Alliance's hatred, fear and loathing of the undead that starts the literal second they become undead.
    So why are there Death Knights in the Alliance?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Hold on, are those shirts real ?
    Yes, but they're luckily not official.
    @Jastall

It's overblown is what it is. @Nerevar sums up my opinion on this at this stage. This is neither new nor something more in breach of the lore than what we've seen before. We've had humans voluntarily join after being raised since Cata and we've had Night Elves join groups that want to kill all of them since the backstory and Vanilla with the various cults and the organisations pointed out before.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasaru View Post
    Which was always a bigger lore "retcon" than what this thread is about.

In truth, Paladins should have been the Alliance hero class and Death Knights should have been the Horde's counter hero class.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Vasaru View Post
    The only explicitly Alliance-aligned Death Knight we see is Thassarian, everyone else is part of the Ebon Blade especially after Legion. The Horde is the race that uses Death Knights that've switched sides to Sylvanas. You see them in Warfang and the Stormheim intro. The DKs and DHs are associates who are faction divided for gameplay purposes.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.