Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Titanforge Currency?

One of the main issues people seem to have with Warcraft is titanforging. For example I had 2 370 trinkets on my DH about an hour after I hit 120, got a titanforge from world boss, and harlan's dice titanforged in a normal mythic my guild ran me through. Getting loot that high for really no effort is an issue just because of the rng involved. What if a currency was added for titanforging. You could collect it from emissary caches, can randomly drop in world chests, first heroic of the day, last boss on M+ (higher the key more currency you get), and the weekly M+ cache. When you obtain enough of this currency you get a chance to auto-titanforge your next piece of loot. It will still follow the titanforging rules, weapons can only warforge and azerite armor won't titanforge. The more content you do the more titanforges you can get and you can target titanforges. Would kind of replace end of legion legendary currency.

Deleted
    Titanforging is supposed to be a rare, random reward. Something you have no control over. Imagine having to grind out some stuff in order to upgrade every piece of gear, that didn't Titanforge, multiple times. Doesn't sound fun to me. Just be happy when something Titanforges. It's on top of what you would normally get and bosses aren't balanced around having Titanforged gear.

But the randomness about titanforging seems to be the root of the problem people have with it. For whatever reason some people have insane luck with it, while other who do a ton of content have very little luck with it. This would even it out, people already doing this content would get rewarded, it would encourage others to do content, and give something for people do to that complain about not having anything to do.

There is a way to fix titanforging.
    - Limit titanforge to max +15.
    - Add back Valor Points with a weekly cap of 1000 vp.
    - 50 vp per boss kill 100 vp ber mythic + completed, 10 vp for each World Quest. (Killing 8 bosses each week, finishing 3 m+ and doing 30 WQ each week for cap sounds ok)
    - Every item can be upgraded by 3 times, each time by 5 ilvl. Price per upgrade is 500 vp.
    - A item that titanforged +15 can't be upgraded anymore. A item that titanforged by 10 ilvl can be upgraded one time with valor points. etc.

This way some people still can be lucky and get a bunch of titanforged items but the people who had no luck can slowly work towards upgrading their items.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would still go with Valor coming back. Warforging giving you 1/2 and Titanforging giving you 2/2. Just letting you get ahead by not spending Valor to upgrade gear.

If there was a currency for titanforging that could be farmed... then the entire progression system of the game would revolve entirely around it.

The game is grindy enough without forcing something that traumatic to grind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrasque View Post
    If there was a currency for titanforging that could be farmed... then the entire progression system of the game would revolve entirely around it.

The game is grindy enough without forcing something that traumatic to grind.
    I agree with this. It's a bonus. You should plan your min/maxing without thinking about TF at all. If it happens then great. The only people that really seem to have a serious problem with it are min/maxers who need to control every bit of their gear.

This isn't supposed to be that. It isn't a reward for doing well. It's a bonus. A surprise. There's no need to change the progression system to orbit around TF. Do not conflate bonus with reward. They aren't the same thing.

Not everything in the game needs to be turned into a soulless grind.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2018-12-06 at 06:54 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Nevernude View Post
    Titanforging is supposed to be a rare, random reward. Something you have no control over. Imagine having to grind out some stuff in order to upgrade every piece of gear, that didn't Titanforge, multiple times. Doesn't sound fun to me. Just be happy when something Titanforges. It's on top of what you would normally get and bosses aren't balanced around having Titanforged gear.
    You mean like back in Mists of Pandaria and Warlords when you had the upgrade system....cause we literally had that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnok View Post
    But the randomness about titanforging seems to be the root of the problem people have with it. For whatever reason some people have insane luck with it, while other who do a ton of content have very little luck with it. This would even it out, people already doing this content would get rewarded, it would encourage others to do content, and give something for people do to that complain about not having anything to do.
    Luck averages out. There's no such thing as a guy who gets maximum Titanforges on every piece of gear and someone else never gets any item to Titanforge. If you flip a coin enough times, then you'll get heads roughly 50% of the time and tails as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    You mean like back in Mists of Pandaria and Warlords when you had the upgrade system....cause we literally had that
    Which wasn't a good thing. Why do you think they got rid of it? And it would be even worse with Titanforging. Do you want to upgrade something by 50 levels and grind points for months every day?
    Last edited by mmoc193f80ce32; 2018-12-06 at 06:55 AM.

Since Blizzard has decided to ram personal loot down our throats, getting frequent duplicates happens. I personally am preparing to arm an antire army of mages and warlocks with wands off of Taloc. What I'd like to see is the ability to turn a duplicate into a warforge/titanforge upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I agree with this. It's a bonus. You should plan your min/maxing without thinking about TF at all. If it happens then great. The only people that really seem to have a serious problem with it are min/maxers who need to control every bit of their gear.

This isn't supposed to be that. It isn't a reward for doing well. It's a bonus. A surprise. There's no need to change the progression system to orbit around TF. Do not conflate bonus with reward. They aren't the same thing.

still dont you think this would give completly another layer to the game ?

yes certain OCD people would run everything to the death to farm up those points but would it really be such a bad thing ?

think how many hundreds of hours of gameplay it would offer as long as sane people would spread it around 4-5 months of gear progression.

people couldnt then complain they have nothing to do in game because they would have 2 clear goals :

1)completly maxing out potential upgrades on gear
    2)only earn enough as they need - for example casual player giveng such chance would never farm up to 400 itlv becuase there would be no point to do so as next tier woudl reset gear anyway and with 370-380 he could already faceroll hc .

imo its a real shame AP doesnt work like this - becaue it would be a perfect system if it did. if you could invest you ap into WF/TF sockets and tertiary etc etc .

and about power creeps - who cares now that every other expansion they reset power anyway .

Quote Originally Posted by Pilek01 View Post
    - 50 vp per boss kill 100 vp ber mythic + completed, 10 vp for each World Quest. (Killing 8 bosses each week, finishing 3 m+ and doing 30 WQ each week for cap sounds ok)
    - Every item can be upgraded by 3 times, each time by 5 ilvl. Price per upgrade is 500 vp.
    - A item that titanforged +15 can't be upgraded anymore. A item that titanforged by 10 ilvl can be upgraded one time with valor points. etc.

This way some people still can be lucky and get a bunch of titanforged items but the people who had no luck can slowly work towards upgrading their items.
    Sounds like time-gated ilvl increase. Might aswell have a weekly buff that increases.

Also, why should content for players with 280ilvl give gearupgrades to ppl with 380gear? Shouldnt difficulty and reward be tied together?

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Sounds like time-gated ilvl increase. Might aswell have a weekly buff that increases.

Also, why should content for players with 280ilvl give gearupgrades to ppl with 380gear? Shouldnt difficulty and reward be tied together?
    What do you mean exactly by this? Valor Points would encourage people to do stuff like WQ and Mythic +
    And not like its a new concept. We had Valor points in Wrath of the Lich King and that was by far the best wow expansion.
    I dont understand why people think that its grinding? You play the game, you would get VP. Otherwise whats the point in being subscribed if not doing the content that is in the game (WQ, M+, Raids) Thats why i pointed out that 1000 vp would be a weekly cap so people dont feel like they would have to grind a lot.

The state WoW is now with titanforging is just dumb. Its to random and no way to have a steady progression on our characters. I am now 385 ilvl and i have to run the same bosses over and over again and pray to the RNG gods to get a titanforge to be a upgrade. No way i can work towards upgrading my character just praying for RNG to happen. Thats why loging into game for me feels now like a waste of time. With a system like valor points i would still have a goal and something to do. Working on my character, slowly upgrading items.

I don't like grinding for TF etc, it's the only loot I need at the moment. I barely do m+ or anything outside raid (once a week) at the moment. If I could get something to upgrade my items then I'd have a reason to play again. Or at least it wouldn't feel like a waste doing m+. Currently I can do many m+ without any TF or TF on the wrong items and that just feels like a waste of time. With a currency I'd at least be able to up one item.

Some kind of horadric cube from diablo could be cool. Say you want an to upgrade an item then you'd need 2 more of that one to increase the original by 5 ilvls. Might be more grindy etc but I'm just tossing ideas.

The TF and loot system could be better either way. I do like TF though and don't want it to go, just soften the RNG edge a bit!
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

What do you mean exactly by this? Valor Points would encourage people to do stuff like WQ and Mythic +
    And not like its a new concept. We had Valor points in Wrath of the Lich King and that was by far the best wow expansion.
    I dont understand why people think that its grinding? You play the game, you would get VP. Otherwise whats the point in being subscribed if not doing the content that is in the game (WQ, M+, Raids) Thats why i pointed out that 1000 vp would be a weekly cap so people dont feel like they would have to grind a lot.

The state WoW is now with titanforging is just dumb. Its to random and no way to have a steady progression on our characters. I am now 385 ilvl and i have to run the same bosses over and over again and pray to the RNG gods to get a titanforge to be a upgrade. No way i can work towards upgrading my character just praying for RNG to happen. Thats why loging into game for me feels now like a waste of time. With a system like valor points i would still have a goal and something to do. Working on my character, slowly upgrading items.
    Why should wqs wich are content for freshly dinged characters give upgrades to players with mythic raidgear? Surely upgrades for them should drop at a place of appropriate difficulty like high m+ and mythic raid?
    Id have no problems with m+ dropping things that would let you upgrade gear. similarly sanguicell from raids could work the same way aswell. But world Qs? why? It feels like a chore beause its content designed for players with 100less ivl than me. Also why a weekly cap? That more than anything makes it a "time-gated ilvl increase" and it would be about as enjoyable as the weekly island Q is atm.

But tbh what id rather have than a vp system is to have m+, wich is a feature with infinetly scaling difficulty, to not have a bar on its rewards. Id rather remove that weekly chest and have the dungeon rewards themselves go up higher to match mythic raids.

also, wrath was only a good expansion if you were a casual player. For hardcore players it was an expansion with very little to do and very limited raidcontent in 3 of the 4 teirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevernude View Post
    This. Although if they did something like that, it would be nice if the forge currency just dropped with the piece to keep its RNG-ness or give a way to smack the piece into the currency so it didn't feel like it got wasted on crap sometimes. I often feel like it would be awesome to just upgrade a tier or piece I like (ie. T20 instead of T21)...

This is not gonna work with the current loot system where you get showered with loot from 4 raid difficulties, endless loot from M+ and tons of other gear sources (Warfronts, WQs, Timewalking Events, PvP, Crafting) randomly. Too much potential to waste your precious two upgrades per week when the next M+ dungeon can make your upgraded trinket worthless. What you are proposing is just a way to keep players subbed on last content patch of the expansion when you hit your personal progress wall.
    Last edited by chooi; 2018-12-06 at 01:10 PM.
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

It's not a bonus though that's what people don't seem to get.
    It's like a candy manufacturer selling you a candy bag with 100 candy in it. Then after 10 or so years he replaces the 100 candy bag with a 80 candy bag and tells you, if you roll a die and get lucky, rolling a 4 or 5 you get an extra 10 candy, if you get really lucky and roll a 6 you get 20 extra candy.
    Those 10-20 candy aren't a bonus, they are something you used to get but now you don't except if you get lucky.
    Titan forging shouldn't ever be treaded as a bonus.

Titanforge is a random reward. If it's a currency that can be farmed, it would just be a time hated ilvl increase.

If it only goes up to +15, it removes half the reason it exists in the first place. The idea of titanforging is that any activity you do can potentially give upgrades. If it's only +15, and I'm doing heroic raids, I have no incentive to do normal.

If you are 385 ilvl like the dude above, congrats. You're done for the patch. Yes you can keep grinding and hope to get upgrades but you are already mythic geared. Complaining that titanforging is random and you want even higher ilvl is pretty. Do you think you should be 400 ilvl?

There are no lfr only heroes running around at 385 ilvls. If you can link me one, I'd love to see it. Ppl get lucky upgrades once or twice. But the vast majority of ppl don't have multiple pieces that upgraded 20+ ilvl.

Most ppl that hate titanforging imo just have OCD. They want a BiS. They want to be "done". Dont feel entitled to forges.

- - - Updated - - -

Also it's a video game. No one is "working" for their rewards. You arent entitled to it. If you feel this is a job and u deserve it, stop playing.

15+ Year Old Account
    They actually had a version of this in previous expansions. I can't remember if it was MoP or Warlords, but an item could "titanforge" to a certain max item level on its own. If it didn't, you could pay to upgrade that item at a vendor with a currency you collected. Those that got the titanforge got the upgrade for free, but others could upgrade them as well over time.