Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    They're not shitposting on forums anymore because they're pretty happy in general. There was definite fear that Blizzard would announce big changes... and they didn't. Now they're just waiting to play the game.
    How do you know this? sounds like you just made something up that supports an argument knowing full well it cannot be proved or disproved.

I would be fine with minor QoL updates like being able to have more than 16 or 40 debuffs on a target and +healing gear also having a bit of +spell damage so healers aren't so helpless outside of group content.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    It's pretty weird to equivalate lfr and sharding. One makes the game better and the other is a shit show.
    Sharding literally destroyed communities

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    How do you know this? sounds like you just made something up that supports an argument knowing full well it cannot be proved or disproved.
    Obviously it can't be proved, that's why I said in general. Not everything has to be proved or disproved. I interact with the 'purist' community frequently; they are my RL friends, guildmates, discord buddies, etc. The vast majority are happy, and generally when gaming communities are happy they're not posting on forums as frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    Obviously it can't be proved, that's why I said in general. Not everything has to be proved or disproved. I interact with the 'purist' community frequently; they are my RL friends, guildmates, discord buddies, etc. The vast majority are happy, and generally when gaming communities are happy they're not posting on forums as frequently.
    So just to be clear....adding "in general" to something means "i cant prove this, but take it as fact and not just an opinion. buit you cant ask for any proof, because i clearly said "in general""
    Last edited by arkanon; 2018-12-06 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Yeah, but classic itself was a shit show. Does no one remember the lag from having a huge influx of players on the same server??

I had to roll on 3 different servers before settling on one that was playable.
    yeah, thing is, servers improved since then..

well too bad blizzard servers didnt

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    Both are bad features. Neither of them makes game better.

LFR is anti-social shit show. Sharding splits community. There are no redeeming qualities in either feature in social multi-player game, so they work really well on retail that is mostly a single player anonymous game now.
    People are anti-social not a feature in a game. People choose not to interact or communicate with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    People are anti-social not a feature in a game. People choose not to interact or communicate with each other.
    people are less likely to communicate because of some features in the game

some features of the game can make the game anti-social

Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    people are less likely to communicate because of some features in the game

some features of the game can make the game anti-social
    Those people were never going to be social or participate in more social aspects of the game to begin with. Not that raiding participation prior to LFR, and currently when ignoring LFR participation rates is 15% or less of the WoW population. 50% of players in game since LFR came out do it.

Quote Originally Posted by klepp0906 View Post
    sigh. people here in support of sharding obviously from a generation where immersion is no longer synonymous with mmorpg design. Continuity broken by instancing, further broken by sharding.

In one wow "dimension" i could have ran across uber player x01 and made a lifelong friend since he was in elwynn forest at the same time as me but RIP, nope he's in a different elwynn forest cause...

yea no thanks. Imagine how original wow managed to survive, even on servers and network infrastructure from nearly 2 decades ago.
    Lol no, because all that would be different is that 'uber player x01' would be stuck in the giant 'queue dimension' instead of in another Elwynn.
    '

Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    yeah, thing is, servers improved since then..

well too bad blizzard servers didnt
    Uhm... their server tech has improved greatly over the years and things like sharding is why Legion and BFA had a smooth (ish) launch.

I think sharding just for the start of Classic is a necessary evil. It's either that or be stuck in dc limbo/lagfest forever.

Sharding won't be tied in with CRZ either for Classic. It will be separate instances of the zones on the same server just until the initial influx dies down a little.

On topic. As for "no changes". You were always going to get minor ones. Deal with it people. You were not going to be running Vanilla WoW on your Windows 98 PC with 512MB of RAM and your Geforce 4 card.

The current changes to it are fine. It's colourblind mode, the modern client and a few minor and barely noticeable lighting and animation tweaks.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-12-06 at 11:51 AM.

Please no sharding. I want everyone I meet, friend or foe, to be on the server im on. It was awesome to meet people out in the world and maybe again some other place. It was cool to meet those horde players you remember by name. Instead of "theres a horde, lets kill him", it was more "hey, theres the orc named Bob, I want revenge after he killed me!".

With no sharding we meet those people who are on your server. In the end you need help from them and you might help them. Toxic jerkbags were shunned, good people came together. Good tanks were renowed.

yes I know sharding is not the same as CRZ, but with sharding I might miss out on X amount of people that runs around in the zone im in.

It feels more of a community from the get to(lvl 1) when you know that everyone you meet are on your server, for better or worse.

I rather take the lags and queue the first week than sharding.

Sure, when classic is released its going to be a clusterfuck but it will slow down after a little time.

Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    You were more limited though and the game was more mindless. Mobs had unavoidable spells and or buffs that required no input for the player to deal with. Vanilla leveling borderlines on mindless and tedious. Tbc was a lot better at least on hunter or warlock.
    for the mass majority of the playerbase retail is even more mindless then vanilla was.
    unless you do mythic +, heroic or mythic raiding, vanilla was harder for any content you do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    I'd say it was especially more tedious, everything was slower. Dungeons were definitely harder though. Leveling was just slow. Low damage, long fights. The raiding content back then is not even comparable to mythic today however.
    naxx would disagree. but that was the outlier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Those people were never going to be social or participate in more social aspects of the game to begin with. Not that raiding participation prior to LFR, and currently when ignoring LFR participation rates is 15% or less of the WoW population. 50% of players in game since LFR came out do it.
    I'm not sure what LFR participation has to do with anything.

Game used to encourage social interaction. Downtime between pulls when players had nothing to do but eat/drink, coordinating pulls because any action puts entire group in combat and tanks couldn't just aoe taunt everything, group quests that encouraged finding other players. Players could play at their own pace, not rushing. Being a selfish douche was punishable by not being invited to groups.

Today it punishes players. Dungeons are speed runs, no time to talk. No downtime. No coordination. Keyboard mashing rotations. Endless AP grind to encourage rushing and doing nothing else. Cross-realm game play where you'll never ever see other players again, so no punishment for being a selfish douche. Anonymous cross-realm match making, allowing to see everything without ever talking to anyone.

So yes, it is game's fault. Game is completely different.

As for LFR, those metrics are pointless. Raid content wasn't wasted because there was no LFR. Nothing stopped players from pugging raids next expansion, which was still harder than LFR experience. Naxx, AQ40 - players who weren't raiding in Vanilla saw it in BC. But I guess game didn't have today's audience that demand instant gratification and whine when they can't see latest stuff immediately. Different game attracts different audience.

Deleted
    Classic is getting more doomed by the day. Without it's own separate subscription I feel Classic is finished before its even begun. There's no need for #nochanges if Classic is doomed anyway. Potential Legion / BFA sharding / CRZ, modern Legion / BFA client, modern API and other differences from Vanilla just add to that.
    Last edited by mmocb54112e783; 2018-12-06 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixius View Post
    Classic is getting more doomed by the day. Without it's own separate subscription I feel Classic is finished before its even begun. There's no need for #nochanges if Classic is doomed anyway. Potential Legion / BFA sharding / CRZ, modern Legion / BFA client, modern API and other differences from Vanilla just add to that.
    Yeah let's just use the classic 32 bit piece of crap client for "MUH AUTHENTICITY".....

Not like that would open up a can of security issues or anything considering 32 bit is barely supported by devs anymore.

Using the modern client adds nothing. Don't pretend it does. It's a flat out positive. Why would they bring back a 32 bit client when most of their games don't support 32 bit anymore? Not to mention a 32 bit client is constrained by a fuckton of limitations.

Seriously there is wanting to be authentic then there is just a literal lack of understanding on the matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Yeah let's just use the classic 32 bit piece of crap client for "MUH AUTHENTICITY".....

Not like that would open up a can of security issues or anything considering 32 bit is barely supported by devs anymore.

Using the modern client adds nothing. Don't pretend it does. It's a flat out positive. Why would they bring back a 32 bit client when most of their games don't support 32 bit anymore? Not to mention a 32 bit client is constrained by a fuckton of limitations.

Seriously there is wanting to be authentic then there is just a literal lack of understanding on the matter.
    Oh I understand completely that Classic isn't Vanilla.

Oh I understand completely that Classic isn't vanilla.
    You clearly don't if you claim that those minor fluff changes will "doom" it.

Sharding is just for the launch initially. And I agree with it. I don't want to have a huge fucking lagfest that's equivalent to WoD at the start.

Also even if they use the modern API you realise they can easily break addons that weren't used back then yes?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    You clearly don't if you claim that those minor fluff changes will "doom" it.

That's because I'm not being condescending like you. I'm being honest.

That's because I'm not being condescending like you. I'm being honest.
    Not really. You are making a bold claim. Simple as that.

You were never getting a 32 bit retro client. Get over it.

The built in sub was the most likely option as it offers current players some value and may interest players to return and play both.

The sharding is literally to stop the huge lagspikes at launch. That's it. Once it's died down it will be turned off. Zones will still be populated.