Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The thing I find is people a always want what they don't have. Flying, then better quest rewards, gold from mission tables etc, once they have that again it will be something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Feuerbart View Post
    So your don´t want to do the things available and when you can fly there your would suddenly want to to those things? I will never understand how people rationalie this viewpoint. Flying is a mere convenience thing. If whatever is there to do doesn´t suit you flying will not make it more to your liking.
    Like i said before: stuff like world quests and incursions are fine on their own, it’s the slog through circuitous roads and the huge piles of mobs everywhere that make them a pain, as it is, the travel time is a big factor in the “Is it worth my time to do this?”-question.

Quote Originally Posted by Sails View Post
    And mob density was much less
    That depends. Parts of the barrens are a minefield while others are empty as a desert.
    And especially caverns with humanoids that start to flee at low HP are a deathtrap.

During Legion, I quit shortly after the launch because Suramar was just awful without flying. Same deal in WoD. In addition to that, I'm not leveling my army of alts without the most efficient method available (updated heirlooms + flying). The annoyances of being tethered to the ground is fine for my main during new expansion release times. But after awhile, just playing one character, it gets tiresome. Like constantly running away from high density mobs that Blizzard wants me to fight for no reason.

Once the flying patch hit in Legion and WoD, I never stopped playing. Once you factor in 12+ alts, the game play is endless for me. So, I probably won't be around until 8.2.
    Last edited by ablib; 2018-12-07 at 11:58 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    That depends. Parts of the barrens are a minefield while others are empty as a desert.
    And especially caverns with humanoids that start to flee at low HP are a deathtrap.
    The point still stands it was easy to move around the old world without pulling agro then it is now

I see the desperate are now deploying "it will save the game if X is changed" in conjunction with flying. You are all right of course. BILLIONS will flock to the game over this. BILLIONS. Because you know.. reasons..

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    So I take it from your response that you disagree about WoWs open world design being weak. Maybe you'd like to explain why, make arguments to support it.
    I wasn't arguing against your argument. I was arguing against your method of delivery. Like referring to content as "weaksauce" and snipping my statement and infantilely replacing it with "angry".

Do you have any suggestions for this supposed "redesign of how flying works" or are you saying nothing more than "I can't think of a way to improve it but neither can Blizz?" Because that's the difference between feedback and complaining. Simply saying something is bad is empty and complaining and you might as well have spent your time off the computer somewhere. Saying something has a problem, here's an idea how to fix it, is feedback. There's a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicFlame View Post
    People take wow serious because it's time they invest so having it wasted is really not a great feeling.
    With that out of the way, it's called making a fucking joke, again this isn't a professional setting just because people get invested into a game.
    If they want to take it seriously then they should. I'm sick of reading through threads, thinking to myself "This poster is making some good insights" then getting to the bottom and he goes on some rant, usually filled with expletives, against the game, company, developers, et al. Now my thought is "This guy had some good points, but I can't really take them into serious consideration because he clearly can't control his bias."

Compare:
    The quantity and quality of content so far in this expansion has been lacking and I hope they can improve on it. I hope there's others who can enjoy it.
    To:
    There's no fucking content and what is there is so weaksauce I'm bored already, gonna unsub if Blizz doesn't fix it. Only mindless shills would like this stuff.

The spirit of the meaning is the same, but boy did that second guy also make himself out as someone I wouldn't want to know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrair View Post
    Sick of WQs at the end of Legion, what makes Blizz think i'm gonna like it in BfA. And I'm not bout that "fabricated pvp" bull crap.
    Would you prefer they go back to the daily quest hub system we had from BC through MoP where you had to visit a certain place, often going right past the objectives you would later need, to pick up the quest, then backtrack to where you needed to go, then back to the hub to turn in? Cause that is literally the only difference between dailies and world quests. The former spends a lot more time on travel.

Or do you have a suggestion for an improvement over either system.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindMask View Post
    Allowing people to do content faster that they're not doing already won't make them do it.
    and thats where you are wrong

I'd resub for flying. It'd make leveling alts so much better. That'd keep me busy for at least a month.
    Just resub, level 110 alts via Islands in 1 day, wait for 8.1 to buy flight points for them.
    zug zug

what is it paladin, one zug is not enough for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    lore should be voluntary to the game. not obligatory.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    You're telling me that you'd happily grind for months, then wait a few more months after that just to BEGIN playing your favorite class? And then repeat that process every expansion?

I call BS.
    Grinding for months is the BS here. The game does not need flying to be enjoyed, there might be people who only fly when they are online, but those are few. Though I must say that is a funny way to play a game. Better play flight simulator instead I guess.

To get pathfinder is easy as shit. To even compared classes to flying is silly af. Nice analogy there.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Like i said before: stuff like world quests and incursions are fine on their own, it’s the slog through circuitous roads and the huge piles of mobs everywhere that make them a pain, as it is, the travel time is a big factor in the “Is it worth my time to do this?”-question.
    So you want instant action. RPGs are not that. At least in my mind. But maybe i´m just too oldschool to understand the trend to instant gratification.
    Fighting through mobs to get to where my objective is is exactly what an rpg is about.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mead View Post
    I hate flying, wish it was never introduced into the game. The largest and major contributor to the death of Open World PvP.
    I believe the issues with warmode have proved at this point that just isn't the case. What you should have said was that bgs were the largest and major contributor to the death of open world pvp.

Everything I say is absolute. If you disagree, you're a communist.

Quote Originally Posted by mqrtk View Post
    and thats where you are wrong
    How am I wrong? If the content is uninteresting and unrewarding, why will being able to do it a little bit faster incentivize people to do the thing that's unrewarding?

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    As long as its only available for non-WM. Otherwise, please no. Not yet.
    I think it would be the oversight of the century if they allowed flying while warmode was active.

so it'll probably happen!
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Do you have any suggestions for this supposed "redesign of how flying works"
    Really.... -_- You're asking ME if I have any suggestions for how to redesign WoW so that flying works? I'd link you the 4000 page thread back at the beginning of WoD if it wasn't archived and inaccessible. I'd link you several of my threads on the official forums if Blizzard hadn't deleted them because it didn't fit their push for no-flying.

I'll give you the quick and dirty version, because I know if I don't give you something you'll flip a table calling bullshit, even though you damn well know my post history on this subject. Keep in mind that this isn't comprehensive, or a perfect solution to everything. It's exactly what I said: The quick and dirty fixes.

1) Stop designing quest and content encounters in such a flat two-dimensional manner that ignores that flight exists. We've seen zones like Stormpeaks, Icecrown, and Deepholme do this. If Blizzard can do zones as good as those back then, they SHOULD be able to make even better using current technology. USE the terrain to make things interesting for a flying player. Sometimes this will mean cave systems, or very large mountains or canyons. We should have more Forests of Endor type zones, or places like the inside of Blackrock Mountain. Mix flying and no-flying zones in equal amounts so that it's never a situation where flight always has the advantage.

2) Use more ranged mobs and anti-air turrets, in combination with patroling flying enemies, and place them intelligently so that flying can't just ignore 99% of the mobs can't just be ignored. We've seen this before in places like Skettis and Ogri-la, as well as certain spots in Icecrown and other zones. Melee enemies with grapples/harpoons to pull in unwary players trying to helicopter are another factor that can be used. If this is done hand in hand with #1, and mixed in with some of the new mob AI, it could create a hell of a lot more variety than the flat zones we've seen since WoD.

3) Set flying mount speed equal to that of ground mounts. Give ground mounts more abilities to make them competitive choices for players so that flight doesn't utterly dominate in terms of utility. Slowfall mounts, double jump mounts, mounts that let you stay mounted in combat, mounts that sprint or blink, etc.

4) At the very VERY least, if they aren't going to make any changes to pathfinder or flying at all. The BOTTOM LINE of what they should do is to at least include the process into the story. Do it similar to the war campaign, or order hall missions, or class stories. SOMETHING to explain why the hell our dragons forget they have wings and give Pathfinder some context.

There are countless other ways to make it so that flight isn't the overpowering tool it is right now. From putting a cooldown on it, to giving it a fatigue bar, to adding in-flight physics like we've seen on some quests(Joust). Whatever method Blizzard goes with, it will still be only half the equation. The "problem" with flying is just as much with how content is designed as it is with the mechanics of flying itself.

Blizzard did it for years from TBC through MoP, and some of those expansions are considered the best WoW has ever seen. But now we're supposed to believe it's too troublesome? What a load of crap. As long as Blizzard keeps designing overly formulaic content that works off mostly 2-dimensional terrain, anything that moves in 3 dimensions will cause problems. Whether it's players using toys to skip parts of dungeons, or demon hunters just floating past everything, or flight.

Blizzard MUST start creating areas that are more complex than a maze of roots/log walls/cliffs full of stupid-AI that only knows how to run up and auto-attack you for a daze effect. It's old. It's boring. It's dull. It's no wonder people are burning through the content and getting bored so fast.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-12-07 at 01:53 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    And they chased you for ALOT longer if you ran.
    Kiting mobs/bosses all the way to the major cities was always fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnwho View Post
    If you don't like the game now, I doubt you will like it more far away from the ground. It will be the same game, with the same pros and cons, but you will be traveling faster from A to B.
    That's not it. I realized I played more in Legion after I got flying.
    The thing is - I main a tank (for close to 10 years now). On my tank I can run through mobs without a care. On alts, this usually ends up with them dead - which in turn makes me play alts less to none.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    This really. I don't get it either. I mean people can unsub for whatever reason, but no flying is one of the most hilarious.
    The people unsubbing giving "no flying" as the core/only reason they are/have left are either lazy or overextending on how many toons they can actually handle playing...or both.

Edit: Would I complain if flying were in now, no. But I also don't "need" it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    That's not it. I realized I played more in Legion after I got flying.
    The thing is - I main a tank (for close to 10 years now). On my tank I can run through mobs without a care. On alts, this usually ends up with them dead - which in turn makes me play alts less to none.
    I got 6 lvl 120s(Island leveling ftw) and when I do world quests etc none of them got any issues. My Main, Arcane mage was the one who struggled the most lol.

Flying is nice, for sure. But really, you survive BfA zones easily as 120 with 260+ gear from start.

Quote Originally Posted by oathy View Post
    when wow 1st launched remeber the little tips on the screen one read
    basically stay on the path if you want to avoid aggro.

In BFA its impossible not to get aggro even when herb gathering its like
    every single area HAS to have mobs. Its the same with Mining.
    if it wasnt so annoying would be hilarious you go through a zone being followed by 5+ mobs.
    Be a tank, have Sky Golem, easy life.