Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RundinO View Post
    Edit: Would I complain if flying were in now, no. But I also don't "need" it.
    Yeah, that's my take on it too. Flying is awesome, but it's not really needed. And we have Spud! And the Ettin whatever his name is. Dat running speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Yeah, that's my take on it too. Flying is awesome, but it's not really needed. And we have Spud! And the Ettin whatever his name is. Dat running speed.
    the problem was never surviving.

the problem is having any incenti to leave main city .

and without flying there is none. id rather level 12th or 13th alt then do any endgame world content due to shitty worthless rewards - if i had flying i could deal with this garbo a bit but without it im never leaving main city - no point.

But I also don't "need" it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Flying is nice, for sure. But really, you survive
    It might shock you guys to learn that different people enjoy different things about the game. For a lot of us Flying was a part of what made WoW special and incredibly fun. When they removed it(and make no mistake, even getting it back with pathfinder, flight isn't actually PART of the game anymore), WoW lost a lot of it's enjoyment. It took a piece of the game that mattered to many players and never really replaced it.

But more than that is that it's representative of Blizzard slowly stripping more and more out of the game, and only giving it back after they've had their pound of flesh. They did this with artifacts. They did it with set bonuses. They tried to do it with the waterstrider. They keep taking pieces of the game out and reselling it to us in a worse form.

If you can't understand that, then I don't know what to tell you.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-12-07 at 03:15 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    It might shock you guys to learn that different people enjoy different things about the game. For a lot of us Flying was a part of what made WoW special and incredibly fun. When they removed it(and make no mistake, even getting it back with pathfinder, flight isn't actually PART of the game anymore), WoW lost a lot of it's enjoyment. It took a piece of the game that mattered to many players and never really replaced it.

But more than that is that it's representative of Blizzard slowly stripping more and more out of the game, and only giving it back after they've had their pound of flesh. They did this with artifacts. They did it with set bonuses. They tried to do it with the waterstrider. They keep taking pieces of the game out and reselling it to us in a worse form.

If you can't understand that, then I don't know what to tell you.
    If not having flying (in this case, for the first 60 levels) made the game that boring and tedious, why even level a toon (let alone more than one)? Was it for that feeling of achievement when you finally unlocked it?

If not, then how on Earth did you make it to level 60 (TBC and onward)? Or play any expansion at launch since..the first one? And if you did play any expansion at launch...why? Oo

If not, then how on Earth did you make it to level 60 (TBC and onward)? Or play any expansion at launch since..the first one? And if you did play any expansion at launch...why? Oo
    The Pathfinder nonsense only started with WoD. Other expansions you could fly at max level. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

And yes, I waited to level alts until I had flying in Legion, because it was awful and tedious without. I've not bought BFA and won't until flying is available.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

I'm enjoying BFA just fine, and I don't think flying will make me enjoy it any more. Flight paths are more than generous enough to get around, and watery areas can be easily passed with the Anglers boat, which will be unlockable by alts if your main has it on 8.1.

If you aren't enjoying the game as it is, I don't think flying will help you.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love flying but I'm not going to bother doing world content even with flying at this point.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alopex Major View Post
    The Pathfinder nonsense only started with WoD. Other expansions you could fly at max level. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

And yes, I waited to level alts until I had flying in Legion, because it was awful and tedious without. I've not bought BFA and won't until flying is available.
    Because she/he said, "Flying was a part of what made WoW special and incredibly fun." Are they not saying not flying makes the game bland/dull? If so, then my point still stands.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    The existence of flying alone isn't enough, though.
    I would rather they designed more content around it.
    Memby Netherwing races in BC?
    Memby cloud serpent races in MoP?
    I memby...

Let's get some more interesting stuff like that, maybe even a flying mount combat zone (oh noes, a vertical element to combat!).
    Let's actually have a reason other than "it makes WQs more tolerable".
    Otherwise, all it serves is to speed up the time you log off, which to some of you would be the best thing ever because you don't have fun, but that's putting a band aid on a gushing wound.

What if...
    Warfronts allowed flying, but the enemy had anti-air cannons that, until they are taken out, will target lock you and wreck you if you fly too close?
    A new content zone came with the "air" portion of "land, sea, and air" combat that our war currently includes, where each side had anti-air cannons and flying mobs that you could fight while on your flying mount?
    New WQs get added similar to those shitty platforming ones from Legion, but actually were more like the flying races of yesteryear, whether it be "hit checkpoints to the end" as you fly solo or with NPC racers, or even a "fly-by sabotage" type of quest for hindering the advance of the opposing faction, where you must fly in, remain mounted yet undetected, plant a trap, gtfo.

I dunno, something outside the box with flying instead of "mount up, hold spacebar, aim, hit auto-run, hold X, gather item, mount up, hold spacebar, aim, hit auto-run....."

If not having flying (in this case, for the first 60 levels) made the game that boring and tedious, why even level a toon (let alone more than one)? Was it for that feeling of achievement when you finally unlocked it?

I'm not one of those people who WON'T play without flight. But I fully recognize and believe that the game is worse and less interesting without it. A lot of the reason many of us put up with no-flying at launch was because we knew it was waiting at level cap, and we knew there would be zones and daily quests to use it on. We could work straight for it. No waiting if we didn't want to.

This is the main difference between then and now with Pathfinder. Pathfinder is Ion wagging his giant hardon for no-flying in our faces. We do all the work, but just don't get to fly. We have to wait months at a time even after completing the objectives, only to have to do MORE work. It's not just a lack of flying, it's insult to injury. Because when we finally get it....guess what....there's nothing left to use it on besides the same stuff we've already been doing for months.

And even THEN we still like it. But it's just not the same as having it be part of the game the whole time.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-12-07 at 04:15 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I'm not one of those people who WON'T play without flight. But I fully recognize and believe that the game is worse and less interesting without it. A lot of the reason many of us put up with no-flying at launch was because we knew it was waiting at level cap, and we knew there would be zones and daily quests to use it on.

This is the main difference between then and now with Pathfinder. Pathfinder is Ion wagging his giant hardon for no-flying in our faces. We do all the work, but just don't get to fly. We have to wait months at a time even after completing the objectives, only to have to do MORE work. It's not just a lack of flying, it's insult to injury. Because when we finally get it....guess what....there's nothing left to use it on besides the same stuff we've already been doing for months.

And even THEN we still like it. But it's just not the same as having it be part of the game the whole time.
    I can agree that it makes things easier, but not about being less interesting.

I also agree that pathfinding, with the additional level of time-gating, was pretty extreme and unnecessary; I felt that the Pathfinder "duties" would have been enough. I even agree with whomever posted about the lack of content around gaining flying being non-existent and how sad that is due the possibilities it could have offered, but it did not make me feel BFA content is less interesting in and of itself (it's the simple lack of starting content that makes BFA less interesting than what it was at the end of Legion).

Man, did I like the flying/content aspect of TBC (the xpac that did the most with it); Cata and WotLK had it too but little in comparison.
    Last edited by RundinO; 2018-12-07 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    I think it would be the oversight of the century if they allowed flying while warmode was active.

so it'll probably happen!
    They should just add a flymode. If you have the flymode active then you can fly and all those that hate flying can turn it off and then be phased in with other people who hate flying. Since they say flying ruined the game it should be bustling with like minded folk. We who like flying can be left to our dead zones.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeTA View Post
    I think unlocking flying now will help with this lack of content drought and bring people back. I hardly log in anymore. If I had flying, I would start logging in, do World Quests, grind rep, quests and level alts. I think people would start playing again. What do ya'll think?
    I'm absolutely sure you don't know what "content" means.

Content is what is available to do in the game. Flying is not content, it's just a way to travel, adds nothing to do. In fact it allows players to clear content faster, making people run out of things to do faster, which means people quit sooner.

Maybe it would bring shallow people back, but after 15 minutes they'll realize flying adds nothing more than clearing WQs a bit faster, they will still be bored as fuck and complain.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    Content is what is available to do in the game. Flying is not content, it's just a way to travel, adds nothing to do. In fact it allows players to clear content faster, making people run out of things to do faster, which means people quit sooner.
    This right here. It doesn't add "content" but it does add a method to consume it.

I can agree that it makes things easier, but not about being less interesting.

I also agree that pathfinding, with the additional level of time-gating, was pretty extreme and unnecessary; I felt that the Pathfinder "duties" would have been enough. I also agree with whomever posted about the lack of content around gaining flying being non-existent and how sad that is. I liked flying/content aspect of TBC (the xpac that did the most with it), as well as Cata and WotLK.
    I've seen the level of detail that Blizzard's art team put into BfA. It's AMAZING! But the actual content? It's lacking....hard. There's almost no variety.

I want to see what happens when the WoW team creates a world that's the full potential of their creativity, instead of being shackled by the requirement to run players through as much bullshit as possible to increase activity numbers artificially. And I just don't think that's going to happen while Ion is at the wheel, because I don't think Ion really understands fun other than hard numbers.

Blizzard keeps saying they're listening, and in some cases they've taken steps in BfA based on what people say. I really hope they listen and bring back flying in a meaningful way. But I think it might be too late for that. They've already driven away most of the really passionate players who wanted it. I think the best we can hope for is MAYBE a slightly earlier unlock next xpack.

- - - Updated - - -

This right here. It doesn't add "content" but it does add a method to consume it.
    Unless Blizzard used flying as part of the content design.

This is a point I keep bringing up. The reason why it seems like flying doesn't do anything is because Blizzard has designed the content SPECIFICALLY to ignore that flight even exists. They do this because they know by the time a player has flying, they will have already done everything already.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coulrophobia1989 View Post
    This is a subject where Blizzard could learn a thing or two from Square Enix and how they handle flight in Final Fantasy XIV.

You have zone-based flight. With each new zone, you have to explore certain areas to obtain collectibles, and then you also have to complete 5 specific quests that are the tail end of a chain of quests. One of the quest chains always results in the quest being part of clearing a dungeon.

It takes what Blizzard devs have said about "explore our content we worked hard on it" as well as giving players what they want: flight.

The second thing they could learn from this is that there are literally inaccessible areas of zones unless players have flight unlocked. This introduces new quests in each zone, and more content to explore. It's a win-win for the devs and the players.
    Blizz did know this. They used it in both BC and Wrath. The problem with Blizz is that they got really cheap with their development efforts on expansions since then, and you see the result now. FFXIV is still hungry to earn more customers; Blizz doesn't care as WoW is just a cash cow to them...they put it as little effort as they figure they can get away with ever since Wrath.

I suspect the true reason they try to fight flying is because they want to expend even less effort than they do today on finishing the zones. It was rather clear that their big pushback in WoD was due to the zones being very unfinished from a flying perspective.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Alodi View Post
    I love flying but I'm not going to bother doing world content even with flying at this point.
    Pretty much this.

I'm very much pro flying and think we should have access to flight at level cap without all the time gating/bullshit that Pathfinder involves, but at the same time, boring content is still boring content. Flying helps some with that, but in the end, all it really does is help you get to and from the boring content a little faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon8669 View Post
    I would certainly like flying put in. There really is no reason now not to add it. We've had the xpac out for a while, everyone has had a chance to level. There really isn't a good reason beyond players will complete outdoor content too quickly and we want it to take longer so they play more and stay subbed longer.
    There is 100% a reason. It didn't get added until a new zone was added to Legion. That worked fine. Stop crying.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeTA View Post
    I think unlocking flying now will help with this lack of content drought and bring people back. I hardly log in anymore. If I had flying, I would start logging in, do World Quests, grind rep, quests and level alts. I think people would start playing again. What do ya'll think?
    I disagree. Flying will do nothing when my class is absolute shit to play and the content in the game is mostly boring. I don't do WQ's cause they are even worse in BFA, so why would flying to them more quickly make me want to start doing them?

You are pretty much trying to say people unsubbed because they can't fly? That's crazy.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crono14 View Post
    You are pretty much trying to say people unsubbed because they can't fly? That's crazy.
    Im saying it seem most people are bored and not logging in, would unlocking Pathfinder part 2 excite you to log in and maybe stay on longer? Would you bother with World Quests, exploring nooks and crannies of the BFA zones, level alts if you could fly now?