Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Weird post.

I didn't do an engineering building, so I guess maybe I missed out on the only fun the xpac had to offer. Hard to believe you though when you compare it with MoP, which if you read other people's posts about past xpac's at all would obv know is looked back as being one of the top xpac's due to outstanding class play and balance. Makes you seem superficial, like you're one of those people that hates pandas so much you missed out, and like strange engi toys and trinkets so much that you'd rate an xpac based on it.

WoD was the worst by far. A major content patch was a selfie-cam. Seems engi enough though, maybe you liked that.

Even BfA already has more, though admittedly they hadn't pruned them into the dirt and most classes were still fun to play in WoD despite the lack of content.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshere View Post
    I for one think WoD was better than MoP and BFA, the reason being, is the engineering workshop, and the questlines were very fun. I also like using my Nuclear launcher and my Overcharged Siege engine, and all the other toys it gave you, i remember the Pneumatic gauntlets that let you punch people back into the last expansion /: D I still have 18 Siege Engins left that i periodically use it to gank lowbies lol >.>
    i remember that the game was fun to play and then everything changed to not being fun anymore. i liked wod alot because the game was fun to play. the game in general.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    People gave WoD too much hate... at the time. Now nostalgia kicked in and many people are more neutral. Don't get me wrong it was really horrible expansion:

1. They cut many stuff announced on reveal, for example Karabor/Frostfire capitals, Farahlon, chosing a zone for garrison, etc. Hate BfA all you want, but devs released (or will release in patch) all stuff they announced on Blizzcon.

2. They somehow managed to both delay and rush WoD launch.

3. If we are on this - most horrible launch in game history. I couldn't play normal until day 3, and I'm among lucky ones.

4. Story was silly and consufing (I can't count how many people asked me how the hell Velen is alive in Legion...), but had some potential. But they manage to screw it many times. From top of my head:
    - at first we was supposed to be stuck on Draenor with little forces and ally with Frostfire/draenei - it would make our fight more even in lore. But no, we got portals to Azeroth almost instantly and rolfstomped alternate orcs for some reason.
    - end of WoD was opportunity to end first expansion with defeat (for sure devs must felt defeated after WoD anyway...) - Legion could destroy whole planet and we would escape this reality via Dark Portal. It could make Legion threat much more serious.

5. Biggest devs fault - they abandoned this expac. People paid 50$ and beside launch we got 1.5 patches (I count 6.2.3 as 0.5). Then they left us with 14 months of nothing and charged everybody 50$ again. It was REALLY dick move.

Funny thing that people praise Legion for all these unique class questlines (and hate BfA for lack of it), but no ones remembers that basically 6.3 was sacrificed for that. And it's disgusting that many people here, that claim to be responsible consumers want Blizzard to abandon BfA too. No people, we paid for BfA and we deserve to get these patches.

So why it get too much hate? Because it has good stuff too.

1. We got only 3 raids, but all of them were at least good - and in my opinion Blackrock Foundry is best raid ever made - it had great structure, great mechanics and great atmosphere (although bear in mind I din't raided during Siege, so I wasn't affected by orc fatigue).

2. Also it was great expac for mythic raiders that are bored by easier content. I know they are minority, but hey, it's nice they got their "swan song" (because I don't think Blizz ever return to that idea) - of course almost nobody appreciate it at time.

3. Big one - with every expac game shifted more and more into queueable content. WoD changed that - we got Group Finder tool (I hope in the future they'll expand it and make something like OpenRaid with reputations, schedules and stuff), Mythic Dungeons (first regular dungeons with loot table that require you to make group and fly there since WoTLK), introducing casual Normal difficulty (it really kicked in with HFC nerfs, when removed some Heroic mechanics) and gearing through LFR became pointless - so it's a place to experience new raid, not part of gearing ladder.

...lets see...
    Class balance was a fucking joke.
    Raid balance (melee hate) was a fucking joke.
    Max level content (outside raid) was only sitting in your garrison doing follower missions and 1-2 quests per day.
    Questing and world was at most OK.
    Ability pruning removed so much class and spec flavor...
    Don't even get me started on the number of just stupid raid boss encounters...
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

I think bfa still has much to offer.
    Last edited by fathom81; 2018-12-07 at 09:23 PM.

I for one think WoD was better than MoP and BFA, the reason being, is the engineering workshop, and the questlines were very fun. I also like using my Nuclear launcher and my Overcharged Siege engine, and all the other toys it gave you, i remember the Pneumatic gauntlets that let you punch people back into the last expansion /: D I still have 18 Siege Engins left that i periodically use it to gank lowbies lol >.>
    If your favorite part was the leveling and killing people who were leveling, what about the rest of the content? Dungeons, raids, dailies, instanced PvP, the garrison and the shipyard, the exploration, etc...

People hate on the expansion because they found the majority of the content to be lacking. Once you got to the end-game you didn't really have a whole lot to do compared to previous expansions. You could log in for raid nights, then once or twice a day to collect all your gold. They also cut everything short so they could move on from that dumpster fire and do something better. And they did. Legion was great.

BFA started out really rough, and it will still be pretty bad in 8.1, but they are at least trying to fix it. They didn't just say "okay well here's 8.1.5, let's scrap the Nazjatar stuff and work on the next expansion". It will take some time and patience but they might be able to salvage it still.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    ...lets see...
    Class balance was a fucking joke.
    Raid balance (melee hate) was a fucking joke.
    Max level content (outside raid) was only sitting in your garrison doing follower missions and 1-2 quests per day.
    Questing and world was at most OK.
    Ability pruning removed so much class and spec flavor...
    Don't even get me started on the number of just stupid raid boss encounters...
    can we also talk about how they murdered gearing? removing sockets,profession bonuses and all those things

I loved PvP in WoD. Monks and DKs were fun back then (unlike BfA und Legion). Overall it was worse than MoP but better than Legion for me.
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2018-12-07 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    No, it was a step down from MoP. It's just that it's also better than the 2 expansions following it, because they started degrading gameplay and rewards systems more and more with each expansion after MoP.
    Can’t agree. Gameplay was better for 2/3 of my specs in legion than in WoD. Holy pal was so boring in WoD. However all 3 specs in WoD are better than BfA if that makes sense. Can’t agree that gameplay was better in WoD than legion for my specific class but it’s better than BfA for sure.

Also played shaman, resto/ele/enh was a lot better in legion than WoD imo. Ele suffered a lot in WoD because of horrid gameplay mechanics especially with flame shock.

Regardless my main has always been Paladin/Hpal and I can definitely (subjectively) say legion was better than both WoD and BfA but WoD was better than BfA in terms of class design relating to Paladin. Ret is the only spec for pally that was surely better in WoD than both legion and BfA.

Deleted
    I always loved Wod. But I get some of the critique. It is true, there wasn't a lot outdoor content. I get that this is important to a lot of players and a lot liked daily quest hubs. Not me though, I loved the raids, dungeons (esp. CM), the garrison and Ashran. I couldn't care less for outdoor content.
    If WoD had M+ Dungeons, it would be easily my no1. At least they released mythic dungeons, bc the heroics were outdated so fast - but that was already a huge problem during Mop.
    Last edited by mmocaeea3d6227; 2018-12-07 at 09:49 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I loved WoD dungeons and raids (raids were pretty high quality). The leveling experience the first time through was quite honestly my favorite, and I personally loved the design of Draenor from an aesthetics standpoint.

Garrisons were shallow however outside of the initial couple months where they were kinda cool. Challenge modes were quite literally the same thing from the previous expansion with zero iteration. I'm not a fan of daily quests or world quests (they are the same thing), but the bastardized version of quests we got after level cap (those fill the bar, shard quests) were quite literally the worst iteration of that system we ever had.

I think WoD got the hate it deserved. However if you only cared about the initial leveling experience and raids, it wasn't any worse than other expansions.

It's too bad though. If they had allocated their resources to be a little less garrison heavy, the expansion probably would have been seen as one of their greatest ones. With Legions M+ system in place, old school world quests and a raid between BRF and HFC, it probably would have been really well received.

It was one of the best expansions for raiders. Free flasks/food/potions from garrison were provided. No stupid AP/daily/WQ grind was required.
    All you were needed is to login and raid.

May be it was bad for casuals, but I have no idea about that because I don't belong to that group.

We got a lot of good features out of a horrible expansion.

New player models? Incredible. But not gameplay.
    glider kits? Best addition ever. No world content to use them in.
    SELFIE camera? Love that toy. Shouldn't have cost us a content patch.
    profession catchup? Incredible. Never had to leave the garrison to actually play the game, so I quit with nothing to do.

The way I see it WOD laid the groundwork for Legion by sucking so hard that Blizzard did a 180 into the best expansion they've ever made.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2018-12-08 at 01:32 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Remember when in 2 years they released 3 raids.
    remember when they released 2 major content patches, and 1 of them was literally just a selfie patch.

yeah, you, and lots of others peoples rose tinted goggles are horrible.

"2 expansions ago" that expansion was actually amazing
    "last expansion" that expansion was actually ok
    "current expansion" EXPANSION IS FUCKING SHIT
    "Next expansion" NEXT EXPANSION LOOKS LIKE SHIT!

Literally this has always happened, and always will, Mop and Cata, and well now this current WoD example is perfect, however WoD was absolute utter shit, and now that people are saying "it was actually really good" just proves the theory.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    We got a lot of good features out of a horrible expansion.

New player models? Incredible. But not gameplay.
    glider kits? Best addition ever. No world content to use them in.
    SELFIE camera? Love that toy. Shouldn't have cost us a content patch.
    profession catchup? Incredible. Never had to leave the garrison to actually play the game, so I quit with nothing to do.

The way I see it WOD laid the groundwork for Legion by sucking so hard that Blizzard did a 180 into the best expansion they've ever made.
    Except the progression catchup was added in MoP, wod, and legion, just added new recipes to do so.
    and BFA has remade that, much better, by adding a different bar for each level.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Legion was very good with class identity and design
    WOD was also good with the pruning and refining, Tanaan jungle and all the leveling zone in WOD were great. The raid was OK, some interesting fights. There were things I didn't do in both expansions, so I don't think they are lacking content; in fact, there were too much to do in Legion.

However, WOD sometimes feels unfinished to me, like a beta expansion for Legion. This maybe the reason people hate WOD, the slow patch pace. Not much to explore before 6.2, not much to do before 7.0.

BFA is a step up I believe, I'm having a blast playing BFA, the class design is very well.

No. WoD really was pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Remember when in 2 years they released 3 raids.
    remember when they released 2 major content patches, and 1 of them was literally just a selfie patch.

yeah, you, and lots of others peoples rose tinted goggles are horrible.

"2 expansions ago" that expansion was actually amazing
    "last expansion" that expansion was actually ok
    "current expansion" EXPANSION IS FUCKING SHIT
    "Next expansion" NEXT EXPANSION LOOKS LIKE SHIT!

Literally this has always happened, and always will, Mop and Cata, and well now this current WoD example is perfect, however WoD was absolute utter shit, and now that people are saying "it was actually really good" just proves the theory.

- - - Updated - - -

Except the progression catchup was added in MoP, wod, and legion, just added new recipes to do so.
    and BFA has remade that, much better, by adding a different bar for each level.
    I dislike the each bar for each expansion. Now I had to buy old mats to level old content to craft something for transmog

No, they don't. WoD had the worst content, the worst story, the worst non-raiding endgame, thw worst capitals the worst class design bar a few exceptions, the worst dungeon usage, and the worst cut content out of any expansion, to say nothing of things like World of Garrison or the flying nonsense.

And this is coming from someone who likes being a raid logger, which means WoD catered to me specifically. But I still found it bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    BfA is just... a mix of WoD and legion. In legion i was always on the hunt for legendarys even most people didn't liked the system. Also the artifacts kept me playing. In BfA, we have nothing but the stupid heart of azeroth to level and no things to hunt for. It feels like WoD but it's technically a pruned Legion.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

wod would have been really good if they'd stuck with it and not aborted it.

we got robbed of some cool shit with wod.