Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Building my own pc. Need some advice on manufactors of graphic cards

Hey guys. I'm building my own pc for the first time. I'm a programmer but i'm not very tech'y.

Needs:
    -Gaming on max settings
    -Programming(mostly irrelevant for this discussion i know)
    -Some compiling and some animation stuff
    -4-5+ years of life

So far i've decided to go with an I7-9700k processor and a rtx 2080 graphics card. I'm completely in the woods as to what manufactor and version of the rtx 2080 i should get, and i havent had much luck when searching for comparissons online(other then people commenting on the number of fans on the different versions).

Mostly looking at Asus, Gigabyte and MSI cards as they are more available and more often on sale where i am from.

Any advice on motherboard, ram(16-32 GB), psu and tower also appreciated.

If this violates any rules of this forum i'm sorry, i tried reading the pinned threds beforehand and didnt really find any updated information relevant for me.

Thanks in advance

Deleted
    Seasonic or Superflower OEM'd PSU's, a Gigabyte Aorus Master MB, I'd probably opt for 32gb for a mixed modelling/gaming workload, case is personal preference beyond adequate cooling and for GPU I'd opt for a 2.5 - 3 slot card, brand doesn't matter, just get one with a fat cooler.

Check out Gamers Nexus for reviews beyond "it's pretty"

Deleted
    What display will you plug that beast into?

I had very good experiences with my last 3 Seasonic PSU's. Just get the highest efficiency ones you can afford - you get better parts and less heat (power loss) = quiet.

As for cases, I don't really care about the optics just about the build quality (resonance, easier installation etc.) I end up most of the time at some Lian Li silent case variant. Cooling is never a big problem for cases, its more cooling enough while keep the silence part what is hard to get.

As for MB's I was a long time Asus fan but the quality problems in the last years were just horrible. Got pretty good experience with Gigabyte boards. It's allways a good suggestion to get a slightly older board with a final bios version and board revision. Most mainboard even with horrible problems never get a final fix and since many problems are with power management/data loss/data corruption it is not something you want to live with. Just YOLO and get the newest board is not something you want to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    EVGA seem to be favourites in the GPU market. Outside of them, Asus/MSI is what I'd say.

MOBO: Gigabyte seems to have the best Z390 boards. MSI also has some decent offerings.
    RAM: 16gb is fine for gaming, if you don't do anything super RAM intensive for work, it'll be fine.
    PSU: EVGA SuperNova G3/Seasonic EVO lineups are among the best. Seasonic is a bit quieter, and depending on where you live cheaper.
    Case: Gamers Nexus has some great case reviews. Personally I'm partial to Lian Li cases, I just think they're gorgeous

Due to the nature of chip manufacturing, your performance with GPUs (and CPUs) can vary greatly across a family of cards, I'd say more so than the individual vendors that make the cards in terms of raw performance. However, I've generally stuck with EVGA/MSI cards due to their tuning software, although I've had some factory OC'd cards that I had to downclock to get stable performance from those factory settings.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    What display will you plug that beast into?
    Thx for the replies guys and yeah i really should have told in the OP.

Right now i am using 2 standard HD monitors but i'mon the hunt for an acer predator xb271hu.

Also looks/lights mean next to nothing to me. And i'm not really looking at doing any OC'ing beyond any very easily customizable predefined options that comes along.
    Last edited by mmocfe2bab4c21; 2018-12-08 at 10:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Thx for the replies guys and yeah i really should have told in the OP.

Right now i am using 2 standard HD monitors but i'mon the hunt for an acer predator xb271hu.

Also looks/lights mean next to nothing to me. And i'm not really looking at doing any OC'ing beyond any very easily customizable predefined options that comes along.
    I actually have the ips version and it fantastic

They have a reputation for possibly dodgy qc but I got lucky. A little ips glow, but ignorable

You might even be able to drive all 3
    Last edited by mmocf0b29d4c77; 2018-12-08 at 10:44 PM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    Seasonic or Superflower OEM'd PSU's, a Gigabyte Aorus Master MB, I'd probably opt for 32gb for a mixed modelling/gaming workload, case is personal preference beyond adequate cooling and for GPU I'd opt for a 2.5 - 3 slot card, brand doesn't matter, just get one with a fat cooler.

Check out Gamers Nexus for reviews beyond "it's pretty"
    I'd personally pick an ASUS board because the BIOS is better than the competition, but Gigabyte has a better hardware value for the money (even if I find the aesthetic a bit too aggressive). Add a Noctua NH-D15 to the shopping list and you'll need to upgrade only the GPU in 5 years to last another 5

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    I had very good experiences with my last 3 Seasonic PSU's. Just get the highest efficiency ones you can afford - you get better parts and less heat (power loss) = quiet.

As for cases, I don't really care about the optics just about the build quality (resonance, easier installation etc.) I end up most of the time at some Lian Li silent case variant. Cooling is never a big problem for cases, its more cooling enough while keep the silence part what is hard to get.

As for MB's I was a long time Asus fan but the quality problems in the last years were just horrible. Got pretty good experience with Gigabyte boards. It's allways a good suggestion to get a slightly older board with a final bios version and board revision. Most mainboard even with horrible problems never get a final fix and since many problems are with power management/data loss/data corruption it is not something you want to live with. Just YOLO and get the newest board is not something you want to do.
    Should i stay away from the z390's then?

Any recommendation on a specific gigabyte card that would fit with a rtx 2080 and a I7-9700k?

I've got a lot of time for EVGA as a brand, motherboard i usually go for ASUS or Giga.

I'd go for Corsair RAM, amazing warranty.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    I actually have the ips version and it fantastic

They have a reputation for possibly dodgy qc but I got lucky. A little ips glow, but ignorable

You might even be able to drive all 3
    Possibly but i dont see myself having the need ^^ BUt yeah i've heard almost nothing but great things about that monitor

Here's my suggestion for a complete buildhttps://pcpartpicker.com/list/rLPWCb

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Here's my suggestion for a complete buildhttps://pcpartpicker.com/list/rLPWCb
    Appreciate it. Any specific reason for not choosing Corsair memory?

15+ Year Old Account
    As others have mentioned, part wise, Gigabyte, Asus, MSI and EVGA for graphics, Seasonic or Superflower for PSUs

I threw together what I am considering for myself for xmas that is similar to what you are looking for. as well as new monitor, I just haven't figured out which one yet.

I am hoping prices come down over the next few weeks.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($409.89 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.43 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($254.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($227.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.59 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($789.89 @ OutletPC)
    Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ B&H)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $2331.65
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-08 18:34 EST-0500

Isn't 1080ti is basically a cheaper 2080?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Isn't 1080ti is basically a cheaper 2080?
    Nah there are some new features on the 2080. Two new thats going to directly influence future games to come, i just cant remember their name on the top of my head.

2080 also performs a bit better, but that being said 1080 is much better if you compare prizes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    As others have mentioned, part wise, Gigabyte, Asus, MSI and EVGA for graphics, Seasonic or Superflower for PSUs

I threw together what I am considering for myself for xmas that is similar to what you are looking for. as well as new monitor, I just haven't figured out which one yet.

I am hoping prices come down over the next few weeks.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($409.89 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.43 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($254.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($227.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.59 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($789.89 @ OutletPC)
    Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ B&H)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $2331.65
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-08 18:34 EST-0500
    Any specific reason for using that brand of memory? I havent heard about it before.

Nah there are some new features on the 2080. Two new thats going to directly influence future games to come, i just cant remember their name on the top of my head.

2080 also performs a bit better, but that being said 1080 is much better if you compare prizes.
    It's called ray tracing (RT). RTX series have RT cores.

- - - Updated - - -

Any specific reason for using that brand of memory? I havent heard about it before.
    G.Skill is a well-known brand.

- - - Updated - - -

For cases, go Phanteks. Their build quality is good.

15+ Year Old Account

I have been using Gskill for years. Bought Corsair for the pricing on one of my last builds but had to RMA a stick of it. But that isnt saying Corsair isnt any good, I just prefer Gskill.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    It's called ray tracing (RT). RTX series have RT cores.

- - - Updated - - -

G.Skill is a well-known brand.

- - - Updated - - -

For cases, go Phanteks. Their build quality is good.
    I agree they make some nice cases, however most of them choke on air flow.

Here is a list of decent cases with good air flow, Phanteks isn't in there, well except for most disappointing case.

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the build compared to the needs.

If you're doing more than just gaming, go with AMD, the Ryzen's are just too much value and with the new WoW patches you'll be able to utilize multi-core processing. If you're dead set on Intel, get the 8700k over the 9700k.

Same with the GPU, spending for an RTX 2080 is a huge waste. You're paying more for ray tracing and currently there is only 1 game that even has that feature. Nvidia just bumped it's price with the RTX series, and regardless of it being for the production cost of a tenser core or paying for the R&D required for ray tracing it's just not worth it. I'd recommend waiting for the new Radeon RX 3080 or getting a 1080 ti

There are rumours abound that AMD has 2 major announcements very soon for both GPU and CPU, and let me just quickly mention the spec's of their CPU: Ryzen 3700x, $330, 12 cores/24 threads, 4.2Ghz base clock and 5.0 OC (Holy shit, right?)

For the ram, depends on usage. If you're only gaming, you'll never use more than 16gb (with current games) or even come close to using all 16gb. If you're using it as a workstation though then your needs will probably go up.