Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Maybe check out some entry lines from EIZO (1000-1500 EUR) - zero IPS glow, zero BLB.

You really don't have to gamble with each monitor in hopes for getting the unicorn charge, since there is none.

I use this eizo model for gaming:

A quick google shows just as many problems with EIZO and BLB
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    A quick google shows just as many problems with EIZO and BLB
    EIZO got consumer lines, the entry pro screens (starting at 1000 EUR) got zero problems. Made it pretty clear in my posting with the min price.

10+ Year Old Account
    EIZO got consumer lines, the entry pro screens (starting at 1000 EUR) got zero problems. Made it pretty clear in my posting with the min price.
    yeah, but then you're paying like double of for a monitor of what even high-end gaming monitors cost..

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah and OP is not going for any of thoese screens. He is not spending 1000-1500 EUR on a monitor. The monitors in OP's price line from EIZO has just as many problems with BLB as the others.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

BLB is a curse of LCD panels, no matter in monitors or TVs. You can always run a risk of it no matter how much you spend. Until oled can reduce input lag (and burn-in to a lesser degree), it's a risk we're going to have to take.

Just ask for a replacement, you'll probably get an acceptable one.

Since this seems to be a thread about monitors, I'll chime in with my question instead of starting a superfluous thread.

I have a 21" monitor that I'm looking to replace. I know next to nothing about refresh rates and whatnot. I do know that my computer is midrange at best; i5-6402P CPU @ 2.8 GHZ, 8 GB RAM, Radeon RX 480 video card. So I have a feeling that buying an expensive, high-quality monitor will be a bit of a waste since I don't have the hardware to run games extremely high and don't plan to buy said hardware. My price range is about 200-250$ CND (circa 150-200 USD), which I know is on the low end.

As such, I'll ask for some recommendations. What's a good refresh rate, suggestions on a specific model, anything to help me choose. This forum has helped me a lot twice, so thanks in advance.

I might have a solution for you, one of my monitors:

27", 144hz, 1080p from the Zowie gaming series of BenQ. It's also pretty cheap comparatively and I've had no issues with it to an extent.

It's a TN panel which gives you the best possible 1ms GTG response time compared to an IPS 4ms GTG but the colours also looks pretty dull next to one of my IPS monitors.

https://zowie.benq.com/en/product/mo...xl/xl2720.html

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Since this seems to be a thread about monitors, I'll chime in with my question instead of starting a superfluous thread.

I have a 21" monitor that I'm looking to replace. I know next to nothing about refresh rates and whatnot. I do know that my computer is midrange at best; i5-6402P CPU @ 2.8 GHZ, 8 GB RAM, Radeon RX 480 video card. So I have a feeling that buying an expensive, high-quality monitor will be a bit of a waste since I don't have the hardware to run games extremely high and don't plan to buy said hardware. My price range is about 200-250$ CND (circa 150-200 USD), which I know is on the low end.

As such, I'll ask for some recommendations. What's a good refresh rate, suggestions on a specific model, anything to help me choose. This forum has helped me a lot twice, so thanks in advance.
    It'll depend on what you're playing, resolution, and frame rate. 144hz is generally considered the "gaming" monitor, but if you're only pumping out 60 FPS then it's just a waste of money. If you play high paced FPS style games, the higher refresh rate is awesome when coupled with a set up that can push a high FPS, but if you're playing something like WoW you generally don't need high refresh rates or 1ms GTG response time (the time it takes for your inputs to produce a visible effect on screen)

Generally there are 3 types of monitors, TN panels sacrifice colour quality and viewing angles for high refresh rates and response times, IPS panels have great viewing angles and vibrant colours but can't go below 4ms GTG (most people will not notice 1ms vs 4ms and those are the absolute fastest responses they can have, a lot of monitors actually respond anywhere from 5ms to 25ms or even higher)

I had a computer system that was a bit like yours at one time (280x instead of 480) and changed my monitor out for the one I'll link below. I swear to god it felt like I upgraded the graphics card because everything looked so much better going from a cheap TN panel to a full HD IPS

http://a.co/d/2eB7tWc

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rY9...monitor-xg2401

Quote Originally Posted by Mashanerz View Post
    I might have a solution for you, one of my monitors:

27", 144hz, 1080p from the Zowie gaming series of BenQ. It's also pretty cheap comparatively and I've had no issues with it to an extent.

It's a TN panel which gives you the best possible 1ms GTG response time compared to an IPS 4ms GTG but the colours also looks pretty dull next to one of my IPS monitors.

https://zowie.benq.com/en/product/mo...xl/xl2720.html

- - - Updated - - -

It'll depend on what you're playing, resolution, and frame rate. 144hz is generally considered the "gaming" monitor, but if you're only pumping out 60 FPS then it's just a waste of money. If you play high paced FPS style games, the higher refresh rate is awesome when coupled with a set up that can push a high FPS, but if you're playing something like WoW you generally don't need high refresh rates or 1ms GTG response time (the time it takes for your inputs to produce a visible effect on screen)

Generally there are 3 types of monitors, TN panels sacrifice colour quality and viewing angles for high refresh rates and response times, IPS panels have great viewing angles and vibrant colours but can't go below 4ms GTG (most people will not notice 1ms vs 4ms and those are the absolute fastest responses they can have, a lot of monitors actually respond anywhere from 5ms to 25ms or even higher)

I had a computer system that was a bit like yours at one time (280x instead of 480) and changed my monitor out for the one I'll link below. I swear to god it felt like I upgraded the graphics card because everything looked so much better going from a cheap TN panel to a full HD IPS

http://a.co/d/2eB7tWc
    Thanks for the information! Built-in speakers also seems swell since mine are busted and I'd like to have sound on my computer when I can't be bothered to put on my headphones. Definitely keeping your post in mind as I shop, and the suggestion of @Fascinate as well.

Thanks for the information! Built-in speakers also seems swell since mine are busted and I'd like to have sound on my computer when I can't be bothered to put on my headphones. Definitely keeping your post in mind as I shop, and the suggestion of @Fascinate as well.
    I'll be honest, I've never used a built in speaker on a monitor, so I can't tell you if it's any good, and even though some of these monitors are fairly expensive I have to imagine the speakers are garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Mashanerz View Post
    I'll be honest, I've never used a built in speaker on a monitor, so I can't tell you if it's any good, and even though some of these monitors are fairly expensive I have to imagine the speakers are garbage
    I don't care too much about sound quality, just to be able to hear something when I watch a random video or somesuch without having to use my headset's battery. When I play games or listen to music obviously I'm not going to use that.