Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 25 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    she has the same expression.. always. smh
    To be fair, Kree are meant to be emotionless warriors. She had that training drilled into her for the entirety of her time with them.

That’s the party line, and they’re sticking to it XD.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I think you mean Meteor Man.
    Theres also steel with shaq.

But no one really gives a shit about those. Blade was legit awesome and a reasonable success which is what keeps minorities from roles, studios thinking no one will go see it but its already been proven wrong again and again.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    How about Spawn? Preceeded Blade as well.
    yeah that was a real hit....
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by SimmerRift View Post
    After Infinity War, I thought any marvel movie would feel lackluster.

I think I was right in that assumption. Brie Larson is just... boring.
    Edit: Clumsy choice of words from my part. Sorry about that
    Last edited by Appelgren; 2018-12-09 at 10:35 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post
    Quite certain a lot of people praised the movie mainly to not come across as racists and score political points, because if anyone did criticize it (fairly that is) they would still have been slammed by the left.
    The only people who praise something to get 'points' are extremists already. You're describing an extreme leftist afraid of far extremer leftists, not a racist trying to pander or a normal person afraid of being called racist.

Plus I doubt the "ratings" were to push for a 'diversity agenda' since if it was as shit as Thor 1 + 2 or Ironman 2, people would've been pissed that their "chance for diversity" was squandered by "such a shitty movie". It was a B movie with lulls, but some really good moments in between. It's def not as bad as you're making it out to be, since most of Marvel's 'good' movies are B worthy at best.

If anything, you're commenting on social media perception which you know is literally just vacuums and circle jerks. People may have praised this movie for it's 'diversity', while other circles called it racist, others said it was terrible, some said it was average etc. You can't base the perception of the larger market or one movie's success based on the one or two bubbles you've seen. 'Diversity' and extremists aren't enough to support a franchise this way. There are plenty of critically acclaimed movies that failed because of this.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    This feels like a common viewpoint for people who dont like female heroes imo...
    Wonder Woman is one of my favorite super hero movies, but Larson is just bland. It reminds me of Cavill's superman. I think it is true that most of the female heroes I grew up with are tied into the XMen side of the universe, but Scarlet Witch and Wasp are both pretty well done IMO.

A movie shouldn't be lambasted because it has a female lead, but it also can't be immune to criticism for it's casting. Can you really not think of actresses that would have been a better fit than Larson?
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Wonder Woman is one of my favorite super hero movies, but Larson is just bland. It reminds me of Cavill's superman. I think it is true that most of the female heroes I grew up with are tied into the XMen side of the universe, but Scarlet Witch and Wasp are both pretty well done IMO.

A movie shouldn't be lambasted because it has a female lead, but it also can't be immune to criticism for it's casting. Can you really not think of actresses that would have been a better fit than Larson?
    Im either here nor there about Captain Marvels casting. Ill wait with that judgement until ive seen the movie

Im either here nor there about Captain Marvels casting. Ill wait with that judgement until ive seen the movie
    Pretty much this.

All we have are the trailers. And when you take into consideration the clear evidence that part of the story includes her indoctrination by the Kree, I think complaining that Larson is too bland might be a tad premature.

Deleted
    This feels like a common viewpoint for people who dont like female heroes imo...
    So because I don't like Brie Larson I'm a misogynist. Wow...... Can people not have a fucking opinion anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Pretty much this.

All we have are the trailers. And when you take into consideration the clear evidence that part of the story includes her indoctrination by the Kree, I think complaining that Larson is too bland might be a tad premature.
    What if you have found her bland in plenty of other roles and wonder why they cast her for one? It's entirely possible that they picked a bland actress to play a bland half-Kree, certainly. Of course, that does mean folks should be complaining about her increased smiling in the new trailer. :-p

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    To be fair, Kree are meant to be emotionless warriors. She had that training drilled into her for the entirety of her time with them.

That’s the party line, and they’re sticking to it XD.
    Pretty much this.

There's a difference inbetween emotionless and blank, though. And if the pictures we see don't match the cocky lines, it feels off. At least for me.

My biggest gripe is that they pull her out of their asses at the last second to solve Infinity War. That feels so cheap. I want the characters who build the whole thing up until now to win this fight, not some last minute Deus Ex Machina. It's as boring as WoWs current storyline, and I can do without it. "Oh, Fury could contact her all the time, but he sure as hell didn't." What? Loki in New York wasn't enough? Or god damn 'I'll smash the entire human race' Ultron? Naaaah, we need some big reveal for the grand finale. Freaking Bullshit. Jaina and her magic ship have nothing on this movie.

So because I don't like Brie Larson I'm a misogynist. Wow...... Can people not have a fucking opinion anymore?
    That escalated quickly

You taking on being a misogynist is 100% on you and your values. I just made a general statement about the massive amounts of critique against female leads and even black actors.

But im sort of being the devils advocate here. Im all in favor of strong role models from "minorities" aslong as it doesnt feel forced.

A great example is Ripley in Alien. Perfect example of a strong female hero VS Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo in Star Wars who is a token "strong woman" just for the sake of it.

TLDR: I didnt call you a misogynist. You took that role yourself

Deleted
    That escalated quickly

You taking on being a misogynist is 100% on you and your values. I just made a general statement about the massive amounts of critique against female leads and even black actors.

But im sort of being the devils advocate here. Im all in favor of strong role models from "minorities" aslong as it doesnt feel forced.

A great example is Ripley in Alien. Perfect example of a strong female hero VS Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo who is a token "strong woman" just for the sake of it.

I didn't say shit. I said that I didn't like Brie Larson in this particular role. You said that it was a common viewpoint about people who dislike female superheroes.

Female being the main word of that sentence. Conflating it as if I have to dislike all female superheroes because they're female.

So let me state this perfectly clearly.

I do not like Brie Larson in this role, and I feel that ANY singular super hero movie would feel poor after the incredibly high bar that Infinity War set.

This one, lone, super hero.

And I absolutely DO agree with you on the Ripley/Holdo thing.
    Last edited by mmocfce39d790f; 2018-12-09 at 10:40 PM.

That escalated quickly

A great example is Ripley in Alien. Perfect example of a strong female hero VS Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo in Star Wars who is a token "strong woman" just for the sake of it.

"This feels like a common viewpoint for people who dont like female heroes imo... " really sounds like you're painting with the "don't like it, you're hate women" thing, or at least the "oh, so all women have to be pretty little smiling dolls" crap from earlier in this thread. Maybe you didn't mean it like that, but that's how the thread has already gone, so your comment fit the theme.

I didn't say shit. I said that I didn't like Brie Larson in this particular role. You said that it was a common viewpoint about people who dislike female superheroes.

Female being the main word of that sentence. Conflating it as if I have to dislike all female superheroes because they're female.

So let me state this perfectly clearly.

I do not like Brie Larson in this role, and I feel that ANY singular super hero movie would feel poor after the incredibly high bar that Infinity War set.

This one, lone, super hero.

And I absolutely DO agree with you on the Ripley/Holdo thing.
    Gotcha!

Reading my earlier statements I see how you would feel accused of being a misogynist. I worded it poorly. Sorry about that

- - - Updated - - -

"This feels like a common viewpoint for people who dont like female heroes imo... " really sounds like you're painting with the "don't like it, you're hate women" thing, or at least the "oh, so all women have to be pretty little smiling dolls" crap from earlier in this thread. Maybe you didn't mean it like that, but that's how the thread has already gone, so your comment fit the theme.
    As I already responded to Simmerift I understand that i worded it in a clumpsy way and it wasnt my intention to have it look like that at all

Deleted
    Gotcha!

Reading my earlier statements I see how you would feel accused of being a misogynist. I worded it poorly. Sorry about that

- - - Updated - - -

As I already responded to Simmerift I understand that i worded it in a clumpsy way and it wasnt my intention to have it look like that at all
    That's perfectly fine, apology accepted. And in return, I apologize if I came across as snarky in my response to you.

In this day and age, its just so hard to have an opinion. It's incredibly irritating actually.

That's perfectly fine, apology accepted. And in return, I apologize if I came across as snarky in my response to you.

In this day and age, its just so hard to have an opinion. It's incredibly irritating actually.
    Yeah.. It was all on me this time tbh. And yes.. every day is walking through a mine field of political correctness. Even the smallest opinion about non-issues are considered micro-aggressions and hate speech.

Its SUPER irritating...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    My biggest gripe is that they pull her out of their asses at the last second to solve Infinity War. That feels so cheap.
    That I 100% agree with. I’ve been saying for a while now, it feels HUGELY Anticlimactic to spend ten years building up the MCU, the heroes, the infinity stones and Thanos. Then, have all that come to a head in Infinity War, where we get to see Thanos final unite the stones and claim victory...

Then it’s all undone by some random hero who is introduced literally ONE MONTH before the final showdown.

Just seems borderline Deus Ex Machina. I’m fine with her being PART of the takedown, but not the main part.

For instance, if she uses her energy absorb powers to drain Thanos, allowing the others to drop him... or if she acts as a conduit, and the other heroes use THERE powers to supercharge her, giving her the edge to take him down, that would be okay...

But if she just rocks up, and owns him... because fuck you, then this will be really disappointing.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

What if you have found her bland in plenty of other roles and wonder why they cast her for one? It's entirely possible that they picked a bland actress to play a bland half-Kree, certainly. Of course, that does mean folks should be complaining about her increased smiling in the new trailer. :-p
    I mean sure, but I haven't seen much, if any, of the complaints being something along these lines. Most of it is very solely a reaction to the trailer.

There's a difference inbetween emotionless and blank, though. And if the pictures we see don't match the cocky lines, it feels off. At least for me.
    Yeah there sure is, but are you seriously arguing that we've seen enough of the film to make these kind of assessments?

My biggest gripe is that they pull her out of their asses at the last second to solve Infinity War. That feels so cheap. I want the characters who build the whole thing up until now to win this fight, not some last minute Deus Ex Machina. It's as boring as WoWs current storyline, and I can do without it. "Oh, Fury could contact her all the time, but he sure as hell didn't." What? Loki in New York wasn't enough? Or god damn 'I'll smash the entire human race' Ultron? Naaaah, we need some big reveal for the grand finale. Freaking Bullshit. Jaina and her magic ship have nothing on this movie.
    Also a tad bit premature. We don't have clear details on her role in AV4 at all. But I guess if you want to get all hot and bothered over conjecture be my guest.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    That I 100% agree with. I’ve been saying for a while now, it feels HUGELY Anticlimactic to spend ten years building up the MCU, the heroes, the infinity stones and Thanos. Then, have all that come to a head in Infinity War, where we get to see Thanos final unite the stones and claim victory...

Then it’s all undone by some random hero who is introduced literally ONE MONTH before the final showdown.

Just seems borderline Deus Ex Machina. I’m fine with her being PART of the takedown, but not the main part.

For instance, if she uses her energy absorb powers to drain Thanos, allowing the others to drop him... or if she acts as a conduit, and the other heroes use THERE powers to supercharge her, giving her the edge to take him down, that would be okay...

But if she just rocks up, and owns him... because fuck you, then this will be really disappointing.
    Yeah, pretty much this. If she fights with the Avengers, I'm okay. If she leads and they support, Marvel might just crash their big finish for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah there sure is, but are you seriously arguing that we've seen enough of the film to make these kind of assessments?

Also a tad bit premature. We don't have clear details on her role in AV4 at all. But I guess if you want to get all hot and bothered over conjecture be my guest.
    Fair point on both accounts. My judgement is based on the trailers alone. Might just as well be that it will be better in the movie. But as far as the trailers go, that movie is a hard pass for me. What excited me by far the most about the trailers were Coulson and Fury. Brie Larson as Marvel does nothing for me. She has no presence. I feel like I'm watching an actress in a costume, something I haven't had in any Superhero movie so far.

As for her role in AV3.5, if they hadn't stated that she's 'the strongest character ever i nthe MCU', I'd feel different. Why does she have to be stronger? The movies have been rather inconsmistent with hero strengths to begin with. She could have complimented the Avengers just fine. A discount Superman is just what they could use, another heavy hitter. But the timing and the way they built her up... no thanks.