Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    No change at all for me, same crap fps in Dazar'Alor and Boralus with a FX8350 and gtx 1070.

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Really? Sad to hear. I've had to run WoW for years with that CPU so I know what you're going through, it bottlenecked even a 970. It was absolutely horrible raiding on it.

You should try some other zones too.
    WoW is the bottleneck. Both cpu and gpu are fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, well, real life sadly doesn't work like this. You cannot force the devs to optimize their games for your CPU which has a peculiar design. Could the FX8350 run WoW at 10/10 above 60 with a 1070? I think it could, but it's out of your reach completely. Chances for Blizz to properly fix the engine to use all 8 semi-cores on the 7 year old FX are zero. So your only real choice is Intel. Even Ryzen is not a good pick for WoW specifically.
    Ryzen 2600x on normal turbo is PERFECTLY fine for high level WoW. will you want to run 10/10 setting during peak play? no.. and no one should. 8/10 with some knobs individually turned up makes the visual experience no less amazing. I wish people would stop finding reasons to lick Intel's proverbial sack.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Yeah, well, real life sadly doesn't work like this. You cannot force the devs to optimize their games for your CPU which has a peculiar design. Could the FX8350 run WoW at 10/10 above 60 with a 1070? I think it could, but it's out of your reach completely. Chances for Blizz to properly fix the engine to use all 8 semi-cores on the 7 year old FX are zero. So your only real choice is Intel. Even Ryzen is not a good pick for WoW specifically.
    It's out of the reach of the lazy ass devs that can't optimize their 18 year old game correctly.

I cant say for certain but im pretty sure fps is higher in boralus. Its weird there is hardly anyone in boralus, but im getting 110+ FPS lol. I dont think before the patch i would have gotten that in a completely empty boralus, there are about 10 people i see around me.

Seems to be massive difference on Ryzen. My CPU utilization has gone from max 11% to sometimes going over 30%. And in Boralus where I usually dipped below 50(even during nights) am now at high 60s. GPU utilization also has gone up considerably.

Sadly I don't have much comparison points from before, but from the little I remember the difference is massive.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    No change at all for me, same crap fps in Dazar'Alor and Boralus with a FX8350 and gtx 1070.
    Stupid question, but you are using DirectX 12, right?

It's out of the reach of the lazy ass devs that can't optimize their 18 year old game correctly.
    While i agree that the game has had terrible optimization over the years, your cpu is really really bad for WoW. For around 100 dollars (give or take 20 bucks) you could find a used 3570k and z77 motherboard on ebay and double your boralus fps once you overclock it. An overclocked 3570k will beat first generation ryzen in WoW even, probably 2nd gen as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Stupid question, but you are using DirectX 12, right?
    Of course lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    While i agree that the game has had terrible optimization over the years, your cpu is really really bad for WoW. For around 100 dollars (give or take 20 bucks) you could find a used 3570k and z77 motherboard on ebay and double your boralus fps once you overclock it. An overclocked 3570k will beat first generation ryzen in WoW even, probably 2nd gen as well.
    Every other game I have is fine, no point in buying something else just because of WoW. Even if the CPU is bad for WoW, it's not the CPU the problem, it's the game.

The FX bottlenecks the 1070 on 1080p on a lot of other games, feel free to monitor GPU utilization. I still have my 8350 in the other room, and tested it with my 1070ti too, and the bottlenecks can be severe. At 1440p these GPUs are starting to no longer have enough juice in modern games. On games that are truly CPU intensive, like AC:Origins/Odyssey, things are pretty bleak.

But it is true the FX 8350, while old, is still a good CPU. If the game is able to take advantage of those modules and semi-cores, it will be able to properly feed in a GTX 970-980 or so, but not much above, and the 1070 is at 980ti OC levels.
    The FX8350 is more than enough for 1080p, which is what I play. I don't think I've seen it bottleneck at this resolution yet. The reason I got a 1070 is because it was on a good sale and my previous gpu was a 7950, so yea, had to upgrade...

Wife's PC
    Ryzen 2600x
    Vega 56
    1080p 144hz freesync panel

She went from 40-45fps in Boralus standing outside the reforger facing the scrapper to 55-65fps last night at peak hours (7-8pm). She could def tell the difference because her Freesync only goes down to 48hz, so before it was dropping out of FS and now she says its super smooth.

My PC
    Ryzen 2600x
    1080ti
    1440p 144hz g-sync panel

Mine went from 40-45 to steady 50s. Nvidia DX12 is still shit in this game, so not much there I guess. Of course, it could have just been the horrible input lag I was experiencing.....who knows.

I will say this, she saw a difference, mine not so much.

EDIT:
    Clarifying a bit, since people obviously assume I know nothing about computers. In no way, shape, or form, do I expect 1080p and 1440p to perform identical, I was simply posting our results.
    Last edited by wildwrx; 2018-12-12 at 06:23 PM.

Its a ryzen problem, i have a gtx 1060 and a 5ghz 8700k and ive yet to see my boralus fps go under 70. Right now im at 115 fps standing in the same spot you describe for your wifes PC. I dont understand why exactly, but WoW hates amd processors. I had a ryzen 1700 overclocked to 3.9ghz on all cores and it was barely keeping up with my old 2500k. Now that i have a 8700k its literally a world of difference, in reality a 2600 or 2700x should be at least semi-close, but they arent in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    So your only real choice is Intel. Even Ryzen is not a good pick for WoW specifically.
    Why would you lie on the internet like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    Why would you lie on the internet like that?
    He isnt wrong tho, if you want the highest minimum FPS in WoW intel is a much better choice. In busy cities comparing my intel PC to my AMD one (which ive since sold) it felt like two different games, in a busy dalaran were talking 70 fps vs 100 which is very noticeable on a 144hz monitor.

If you play on a 60hz monitor its still relevant as an overclocked intel cpu can keep 60 fps in a busy boralus while an AMD could not in the same situation.

In my setup:
    AMD FX 8320E, 8Gb DDR- III and an RX-480 2Gb DDR-5, Everything on High/Ultra, none of MSAA of any kind:
    I saw a big gain in my fps, on outdoor BfA zones, i went up from 40 ~50 to 80 ~90
    in Boralus: from 20 ~30 to 50 ~60
    in LFR (especially on pull - hero, burst, etc.) from 5 ~15 (yeah really) to 20 ~ 30,
    since my monitor is a 60 Hz, anything beyond 60 fps I will not notice

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Its a ryzen problem, i have a gtx 1060 and a 5ghz 8700k and ive yet to see my boralus fps go under 70. Right now im at 115 fps standing in the same spot you describe for your wifes PC. I dont understand why exactly, but WoW hates amd processors. I had a ryzen 1700 overclocked to 3.9ghz on all cores and it was barely keeping up with my old 2500k. Now that i have a 8700k its literally a world of difference, in reality a 2600 or 2700x should be at least semi-close, but they arent in WoW.
    Ye well, at the same point(ish hard to know exactly what he meant, but took the position where fps dipped the lowest) with a R7 1700@3.8Ghz am at 85-91 FPS at the same point depending on how many people are on the screen, also this is at 3440x1440p.. So not really a "Ryzen problem". Ofc it's lower than a 5GHz Intel, but it's to be expected when it's 30% lower clock speed.

Do you have the latest nVidia GPU drivers? Nvidia came out with new drivers that work with DX12 and WoW a week or two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Ye well, at the same point(ish hard to know exactly what he meant, but took the position where fps dipped the lowest) with a R7 1700@3.8Ghz am at 85-91 FPS at the same point depending on how many people are on the screen, also this is at 3440x1440p.. So not really a "Ryzen problem". Ofc it's lower than a 5GHz Intel, but it's to be expected when it's 30% lower clock speed.
    True but i also tested my 8700k downclocked to 3.9ghz to match the amd machine and it was still ahead by a margin larger than you would expect. I forget the numbers offhand but it was something in the 20% range.

Bottom line is if you plan on building a PC i would advise someone to consider what they do on their PC first and foremost, only a small number of use cases could i legitimately recommend AMD to. Those extra cores really are only helpful for workloads that arent very common for an average pc user. If you game on your PC more than you upload to youtube for example, even someone who games and streams i would recommend a 9600k over a 2700x .

People are just too emotionally invested in what they like these days, PC hardware included, consoles, phones, it never ends. Personally, I deeply despise all big business, they are all immoral, as they only exist to create more profit, which is an immoral thing in itself. I find it hilarious that yesterday in another forum I was jumped on because I recommended to a dude looking to upgrade from a 4790K to 8700K a 2700x instead, especially as he was planning to delid and buy expensive cooling, while you can use the 2700x out of the box with the stock cooler and save lots and lots of money. He was not a WoW gamer though.

In short, everyone should let go already of this fanboysm and adulation for huge companies that don't give a rat's ass about you or I. Learn to put emotions aside and just buy what's the best deal for you. Ditch all forms of "brand loyalty", it's rotting your brains.

Each and every customer should be loyal to their MONEY, not to a brand.
    Yea i cant relate to that whatsoever, i just buy whatever performs the best for the things i do on my PC. I started building PC's in college in ~2001 and i used AMD cpu's up until around 2007 where my single core athlon was struggling to play WoW at decent framerates and since then ive been using intel. I even gave AMD another try with ryzen but for what i do on my PC intel is just a better choice.

I would keep it off core 0 too , windows likes to think its still 1999 and we all have single core computers so it throws most of its background processes on core 0 causing anything else on it to have to swap in and out of that core.
    Power corrupts, unlimited power... is even more fun!