Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...now,38233.html

I think this article provides a good summation of everything leaked thus far and how likely each aspect is.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...now,38233.html

I think this article provides a good summation of everything leaked thus far and how likely each aspect is.
    Yup yet another article written by somebody who has no clue (meaning did not watch or understand the original video of the leak).

Didn't read whole article but when they throw statements such as "The innovative design is a sign of a broader trend in the industry to heterogeneous architectures, but we don’t expect such a radical design to be used for mainstream desktop processors like the Ryzen 3000 series." I find it hard to take serious. They imply that amd would produce different chips for servers and for mainstream - which they can not do. They didn't do it for zen1 and if they did for zen2 they would throw away whole chiplet advantage.

They also acknowledge that 7nm brings bigger density(more cores), less power, more performance and cheaper chips - then they follow up with "core count, power, performance and cost does not seem likely". Alaso calling zen2 iterative upgrade.. yeah they are full of shit.

Again people - these are leaks, not 100% accurate, might not be accurate at all but calling them "impossible" or "not likely" with evidence and logic present is just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    Yup yet another article written by somebody who has no clue (meaning did not watch or understand the original video of the leak).
    Got to remember these are the people that brought us the "Just buy it" article and phrase "When you die and your whole life flashes before your eyes, how much of it do you want to NOT have ray tracing?" when talking about RTX even before we knew anything about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Update from AdoredTV

Seems like chiplets +IO die rumor is dead.
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2018-12-12 at 11:29 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Too bad... the I/O die thing could scale things immensely.

However that doesn't change anything of the other possibilities.
    The technical aspect is most certainly possible..

Considering Intel's announcement of "Sunny Cove" I'm pretty sure they're feeling the heat and this leak hasn't helped it.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Got to remember these are the people that brought us the "Just buy it" article and phrase "When you die and your whole life flashes before your eyes, how much of it do you want to NOT have ray tracing?" when talking about RTX even before we knew anything about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Update from AdoredTV

Seems like chiplets +IO die rumor is dead.
    No offence but I'm not going to sit 37min and listen to that deadpan voice, like seriously you could not be more boring to listen to even if you tried.
    Does he have any sources on what he is trying to explain in that clickbait video? And if so link to those sources?
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    No offence but I'm not going to sit 37min and listen to that deadpan voice, like seriously you could not be more boring to listen to even if you tried.
    Does he have any sources on what he is trying to explain in that clickbait video? And if so link to those sources?
    You do realize that is the original source.....right? All the articles you linked in the OP came from that guys channel.

And like i said earlier in this thread, of course it was bogus all along.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only thing "bogus" was the I/O die, the rest is still entirely possible, technically everything is still very much possible, just doesn't have the same scaling options, it'll be more limited.

That said, heat distribution may be better.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

It's funny, I watched it expecting to get the gist in 5 minutes and ended up watching the entire thing, he has a lot to say. Particularly pertaining to the press coverage of the "leaks".
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rumors are nothing to get upset over. Though AdoredTV had a valid point and if you think what AMD is doing is too good to be true then you give AMD the green light to charge more. Wait and see if AMD does deliver, and if not then enjoy your Core i7 7700K.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Rumors are nothing to get upset over. Though AdoredTV had a valid point and if you think what AMD is doing is too good to be true then you give AMD the green light to charge more. Wait and see if AMD does deliver, and if not then enjoy your Core i7 7700K.
    Personally, I am hoping for the leaks to be true. Since competition breeds a better market for consumers, and if AMD does come out on top I'll gladly upgrade to them.
    I always go for what's best for my budget and what I need it for. I don't care if the result is AMD or Intel.
    My History of CPU upgrades for my main machine is Pentium 2 -> Phenom 2 X4 940 BE -> I7-4770k -> I7-7700k
    I would love to add another AMD to that list.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I am hoping for the leaks to be true. Since competition breeds a better market for consumers, and if AMD does come out on top I'll gladly upgrade to them.
    I always go for what's best for my budget and what I need it for. I don't care if the result is AMD or Intel.
    My History of CPU upgrades for my main machine is Pentium 2 -> Phenom 2 X4 940 BE -> I7-4770k -> I7-7700k
    I would love to add another AMD to that list.
    As successful as AMD's Ryzen CPUs are, they haven't beaten Intel in market share, and AMD is selling their CPU's already far cheaper than Intel. The Ryzen 7 1700 that I own was original $300 and I bought it for $200 brand new, so it seems AMD has no problem using Intel's pricing to justify higher prices, that is until nothing gets sold and they are forced to lower prices. Even AMD's RX 590 is just a terrible attempt to prevent the used mining cards from dropping the price of their new RX 580's. AMD is nobody's friend, but if AMD does offer better cheaper products, then Intel has to do the same at some point, and so far Intel is doing a piss poor job at it. Same goes for Nvidia, which honestly AMD's graphics card pricing is never priced competitive enough to justify buying them. AMD wants to price their products in line with Nvidia's offering, cause they hope that people just turn around and buy theirs. It has to be significantly cheaper to put a dent in the market, like what Ryzen did with Intel.

Deleted
    So basically everything I was saying to correct these non-believers(haters) here and in other places is.. well true - as in logic I tried to imply is exactly the same as adored use in his videos. Shocking thinking and understanding based on information leads to same conclusion.

Seriously lack of though from "press" is baffling to me

Apparently there might not be IO dies in Ryzens. Here is my take on it:
    - one of the source says "I don't know about IO die, just smaller 7nm chaplets" - so that either means ryzen and epyc are different chip - which would again be dumb and sad(not impossible, imo unlikely though) or Ryzen gets micro add-on chiplet with just IO(it needs it from somewhere if it is not in main chiplet itself)
    - second one said "Ryzen will onle be based on 7nm" - again possibly chiplet+io die on 7nm
    - third said "there is only one IO chip at glofo" - so again probably that leaker only got access to GoFo and if Ryzen io dies are not made there, they could still exist on older tsmc process or be tiny 7nm ones which would not contradict other leakers
    Last edited by mmoc9ef35a8a9e; 2018-12-13 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Typos, order

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    As successful as AMD's Ryzen CPUs are, they haven't beaten Intel in market share, and AMD is selling their CPU's already far cheaper than Intel. The Ryzen 7 1700 that I own was original $300 and I bought it for $200 brand new, so it seems AMD has no problem using Intel's pricing to justify higher prices, that is until nothing gets sold and they are forced to lower prices. Even AMD's RX 590 is just a terrible attempt to prevent the used mining cards from dropping the price of their new RX 580's. AMD is nobody's friend, but if AMD does offer better cheaper products, then Intel has to do the same at some point, and so far Intel is doing a piss poor job at it. Same goes for Nvidia, which honestly AMD's graphics card pricing is never priced competitive enough to justify buying them. AMD wants to price their products in line with Nvidia's offering, cause they hope that people just turn around and buy theirs. It has to be significantly cheaper to put a dent in the market, like what Ryzen did with Intel.
    Not sure why you are quoting me with that, as I mentioned in what you quoted that I go for the best within my budget for what I need it for. I don't give a flying fuck about market share.

Though I have to agree with you, AMD has to sell them cheaper than Intel to really push the ball into their hands. If they beat Intel but keep the same prices only the ones focused on min-maxing within budget will get AMD. But if they beat Intel and do it cheaper. Then Intel has to start competing else they will lose some of the casual market and a sharper decline in the pre-build deals they have everywhere.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well ...

Looks like AdoredTV's speculation hit the nail in the head.

The 8C16T ZEN 2 chip was (ever so slightly) beating the Intel in Cinebench meaning the following:
    IPC and Frequency are up and on par at the minimum to Intel's 9900K.

Also following is the CPU she showed.
    Clearly showing an I/O Die and a Chiplet ... with space (and properly positioned) for another chiplet below it.

This Scottish Swede was bloody right ... Though it was a preview only and not an announcement ... but the contents look to be exactly as speculated.

This will be a fun 2019.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Well ...

The 8C16T ZEN 2 chip was (ever so slightly) beating the Intel in Cinebench meaning the following:

Clearly showing an I/O Die and a Chiplet ... with space (and properly positioned) for another chiplet below it.

This Scottish Swede was bloody right ... Though it was a preview only and not an announcement ... but the contents look to be exactly as speculated.

This will be a fun 2019.
    Hopefully Intels 10/7nm processes will offer an improvement in the next years so we can get another processor race, that'll be a sight to behold.

Well ...

This will be a fun 2019.
    It was weird seeing it with just the i/o and a single zen 2 chiplet. Looked asymmetric and would be goofy for thermals. But so be it i guess. But yeah if that's the case where they can add another chiplet of either zen 2 or radeon vii, those will be insane.

No announcement for navi though, and that's where that leak is weak.

Well ...

This will be a fun 2019.
    What lol? You would have to be goofy in the head to not use a 12c or 16c chip in that cinebench demo if they are actually happening this year.

How you came to the conclusion that adored guy is "right" is beyond me lol. Sure its impressive they reached parity with a stock
    9900k but we dont know anything beyond that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    It was weird seeing it with just the i/o and a single zen 2 chiplet. Looked asymmetric and would be goofy for thermals. But so be it i guess. But yeah if that's the case where they can add another chiplet of either zen 2 or radeon vii, those will be insane.

No announcement for navi though, and that's where that leak is weak.
    This thread is specifically about CPUs, I purposely didn't mention GFX, so no Navi.. ah well, screw that, I'm more interested in the CPU side for this one.

At least for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    What lol? You would have to be goofy in the head to not use a 12c or 16c chip in that cinebench demo if they are actually happening this year.

How you came to the conclusion that adored guy is "right" is beyond me lol. Sure its impressive they reached parity with a stock
    9900k but we dont know anything beyond that.
    Why would you put a 12c or 16c up against an 8c?

What would that prove? LOL OUR 16c/32t processor kicked your 8c/16t processors ass at processing!

It was consumer grade vs consumer grade, 9900k is intels top consumer grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Why would you put a 12c or 16c up against an 8c?

What would that prove? LOL OUR 16c/32t processor kicked your 8c/16t processors ass at processing!

It was consumer grade vs consumer grade, 9900k is intels top consumer grade.
    You arent understanding the topic at hand, go back and look at the rumors.