Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Film] Brightburn

What if Superman was evil.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Deleted
    This does look quite nice. I think it's time to get the popcorn though, and see what the DC/Superman fans have to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh, interesting. I dislike "evil child" movies in general and one of the starring appeals of Superman has always been that "Has great power, chooses to do good." while things like Injustice/Crime Syndicate are "Has great power, chooses to do evil."

Probably will be a fine horror-Superman but not sure if overlaying the Superman story on a horror flick will make it any more memorable.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

so basically the homelander

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    so basically the homelander
    Only slightly like the Homelander.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like it could be good but for some reason I am really bothered by how much the trailer is pushing James Gunn's involvement. He is only a producer on the movie and that is almost certainly because it is written by two of his brothers.

Well, can't be worse than any DCEU movie (maybe except Wonder Woman), right?

Bloodborne / Berserk Brand ("BLOOD") symbol...!

An Ultraman movie, cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    What if Superman was evil.
    We didn't need this movie to show an evil Superman, DC's Injustice portrayed an evil Superman already! (Well, Comic and game)

That said, this movie does look interesting. But I think I will wait til it comes out on Bluray.
    Last edited by RampageBW1; 2018-12-12 at 01:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    We didn't need this movie to show an evil Superman, DC's Injustice portrayed an evil Superman already! (Well, Comic and game)

That said, this movie does look interesting. But I think I will wait til it comes out on Bluray.
    To be fair, Injustice showed an adult who dissatisfied with humans and their inability to get their shit together, decided to put his power to use getting their shit together for them; and then his descent into evil as his actions became more and more oppressive and violent. These sorts of stories make for good books and translate well in writing because they're chronicling the classic "rise and fall" story.

Brightburn looks more like The Omen, but the kid has superman powers instead of demonic powers. These sorts of stories don't translate well into books because there's really no substance to them. Evil Clark is evil. Why? Born evil. Why? Just is. There's no thinking or contemplation about the proper use of power and if having it is enough of an excuse to exercise it, Evil Clark just has an evil soul and does bad things because he's evil and has the capacity to do so.

Honestly I would have a totes different attitude towards this movie if Ma and Pa Kent where drunk, child-abusing assholes who lived in a trailer and raised Clark to be a horrible little shithead. "Clark is evil because he's evil" is a bullshit story. "Clark is evil because his parents raised him to be selfish, cruel and wrathful" is an AWESOME story.

Sorry, I get on a bit of a bender when anything promotes the idea that someone can just be "born evil". It's a cheap storytelling device and promotes the idea that misbehaving children is a result of them being "born wrong" rather than the MUCH more likely cause: their parents suck.
    Last edited by Sunseeker; 2018-12-12 at 01:37 AM.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Is this the sequal to the movie Bright?
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Bloodborne / Berserk Brand ("BLOOD") symbol...!
    Also appears heavily in the comic Nameless.
    Was hoping it'd be a Nameless movie xD

-----

The movie looks interesting, I'll probably watch it on the release day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Honestly I would have a totes different attitude towards this movie if Ma and Pa Kent where drunk, child-abusing assholes who lived in a trailer and raised Clark to be a horrible little shithead. "Clark is evil because he's evil" is a bullshit story. "Clark is evil because his parents raised him to be selfish, cruel and wrathful" is an AWESOME story.

Sorry, I get on a bit of a bender when anything promotes the idea that someone can just be "born evil". It's a cheap storytelling device and promotes the idea that misbehaving children is a result of them being "born wrong" rather than the MUCH more likely cause: their parents suck.
    This is kind of Hyperion story from 2000's Squadron Supreme.

For those not familiarized with the character Hyperion is the evil Superman version from Marvel Comic ( allthough there's like a half a dozen different Hyperions in the multiverse some good - some evil).

The spaceship crashes in a small farm of a humble couple in Kansas. They pick the little boy....and then the government show up and take the kid.
    Military start educating him in a controlled enviroment ( think Truman's Show) where every person he communicates to is an actor in an attempt to make him believe in the moral superiority of american values.
    Everything goes well until he discovers the people he loved most ( father and mother) not only don't love him at all but are actually terrified about him ( they need to take medication to control the panic attacks) and when he discovers all his life is a lie and that no one actually loves him....well a god among humans: shit explodes.

From my perspective it would work better than abusing parents.

10+ Year Old Account
    James Gunn and David Yarovesky (Guardians) say fuck your comicbook movies.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Primi View Post
    From my perspective it would work better than abusing parents.
    Sure, I agree with that, I also really liked The Truman Show. But then I'll take almost any sort of storytelling device as to "why the kid goes evil" over "born evil".

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there's no substance as to why the kid is the way he turns to be, then I guess the plot is sort of meh.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post

Good point, it’s unlikely little super billy will fight he-man either like injustice does!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    If there's no substance as to why the kid is the way he turns to be, then I guess the plot is sort of meh.
    In a well shot movie with the right content it wouldn't matter. Maybe he is just a shitty kid.

I'm guessing that he realizes he is different and chooses to be selfish with his powers instead of helpful like Superman. All I need, because remember, Superman was taught to be humble and selfless.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    In a well shot movie with the right content it wouldn't matter. Maybe he is just a shitty kid.
    Sure, I mean that's sort of the buy-in premise of every horror movie. Something, something evil something something kill all humans.

If you accept that the reason why something is evil doesn't really matter, the rest of the movie flows naturally. That's largely what differentiates horror from psychological thrillers (aka: murder mysteries). If you start to question the motivations of the "evil being" then the movie falls apart, because most horror movies aren't predicated on complex motivations. Just "I'm big and mean and scary and want to kill people."

Just, be kind.