Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post
    What? Y did u have to cut ur beef consumption?
    It's in my OP:
    for environmental reasons
    Both industrialized and free-range beef production is destructive. Cattle on feedlots are fed corn, which cattle are not designed to efficiently eat and therefore release it as greenhouse gases while free-range grazing is destructive to the ecology of most regions, especially in North America where species such as mustangs, bison, pronghorn, wolves and coyotes are often extirpated or pushed off land to allow for grazing and in South America where 70% of land in the Amazon Rainforest deforested goes into grazing land.

I am very much willing to try it, but I have significant doubts on it being a replacement as far as taste goes. Lab grown Wagyu beef seems unlikely to have the same quality that actual Wagyu and Kobe beef have. Their flavor and texture is primarily because of what the animals are fed and how they are treated. A lot of people can tell the difference between grass fed and corn fed beef and have preferences, but lab grown is likely to be very different from either option. It might well still taste good and be a good substitute in certain dishes. but I don't see it full on replacing the real thing in every scenario.

I watched a video yesterday where a couple of these lab companies invited a reporter out to try their lab grown meat. The reporter liked both things he tried but I am skeptical given how it was presented. The first thing he tried was lab grown chicken in the form of a breaded chicken nugget. Being breaded and fried is one thing, but how is it grilled, or more specifically how does it stand on its own? The second thing he had was very thin slices of steak($50 a piece). The problem with this was that it was slathered in teriyaki sauce and covered in various garnishes etc.. If you want to convince me your product is good do so without doctoring it up to hide its taste.

I'm not eating lab grown meat, don't care if it tastes exactly like the real thing, if we're at the point of growing meat in a lab then as a human race, obviously we're doing something wrong and unnatural. On principle alone I would likely become a pesciarian or straight up vegetarian. The thought alone of lab grown meat is disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I'm not eating lab grown meat, don't care if it tastes exactly like the real thing, if we're at the point of growing meat in a lab then as a human race, obviously we're doing something wrong and unnatural. On principle alone I would likely become a pesciarian or straight up vegetarian. The thought alone of lab grown meat is disgusting.
    We'll likely have to culture a lot of fish as well due to overfishing and bykill. Several species like bluefin tuna are actually already endangered and the increasing temperature and acidification of the ocean will likely also lead to more species being threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    We'll likely have to culture a lot of fish as well due to overfishing and bykill. Several species like bluefin tuna are actually already endangered and the increasing temperature and acidification of the ocean will likely also lead to more species being threatened.
    You're right on that too, so breaded cauliflower and eggplant as a meat substitute for me!

You boy, are not really thinking it through.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    You boy, are not really thinking it through.
    I don't care how you spin it, I'm not going to eat fucking lab meat ever. I don't care if I have to kill an alley cat, skin it, and barbecue it first, I will. You're more than welcome to the share I won't be having.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care how you spin it, I'm not going to eat fucking lab meat ever. I don't care if I have to kill an alley cat, skin it, and barbecue it first, I will. You're more than welcome to the share I won't be having.
    I'm curious as to why you think this way and why you feel so strongly about it? Do you believe unnatural products are automatically bad for you?
    I invite you and others to watch this video. It's about flavouring, but I feel like this is a similar enough situation.
    Youtube Channel
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Minecraft Map: Valley of Ages(map is out of date)

Sorry for generalization, but I thought only woman can look for problems for any solution :P

But honestly, I think you don't understand two things. What is real problem with meat consumption (and no, being vegan is not solution) and what lab grown meat is.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakiru View Post
    I'm curious as to why you think this way and why you feel so strongly about it? Do you believe unnatural products are automatically bad for you?
    I invite you and others to watch this video. It's about flavouring, but I feel like this is a similar enough situation.
    The fun part is, that lab grown meat is not even fake meat.

Anti GMO people, anti-vaccers, anti climate change people are all the same, they ignore science.

This is no different.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    But what about lab grown Waifu meat?

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    For eating? No, that would probably be too close to cannibalism. For other purposes, however...........
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Grow your own waifu kit...We'll make a shit ton of money! I'll take the futanari division and you get the normie division.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa Cascade View Post
    Grow your own waifu kit...We'll make a shit ton of money! I'll take the futanari division and you get the normie division.
    Can I purchase a yuri double pack?

On the contrary, this is the human race doing something right. Efficiency is only going one direction when we progress and discover.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by frag971 View Post
    Nothing you eat is "natural". All the fruits, vegetables and animals have been genetically altered to be harvested (barring any wild sources like mushrooms, game and fish).
    I laughed hard when a coworker didn't approve of lab meat because of it's unnatural, while I see him drink a soda on occasion.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    On the contrary, this is the human race doing something right. Efficiency is only going one direction when we progress and discover.

- - - Updated - - -

I laughed hard when a coworker didn't approve of lab meat because of it's unnatural, while I see him drink a soda on occasion.
    Natural as a word is pretty much just that, a word...one which really doesn't mean much anymore...unless you want to go join an uncontacted tribe in the Amazon Rainforest...

I dont blame ppl that don't want to eat it. Although I said I'd try it, I'd definitely wait a long time to actually substitute it into my diet. Give it time for them to study it. Cigarettes used to be "healthy" and "safe".

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    I dont blame ppl that don't want to eat it. Although I said I'd try it, I'd definitely wait a long time to actually substitute it into my diet. Give it time for them to study it. Cigarettes used to be "healthy" and "safe".
    It's animal cells stimulated into multiplication using the same substance that makes animal fetuses grow. Basically anything from cultured meat would that could hurt you would already be present in just regular meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    It's animal cells stimulated into multiplication using the same substance that makes animal fetuses grow. Basically anything from cultured meat would that could hurt you would already be present in just regular meat.
    I know what it is, but id rather wait a few years to be safe. Can always be some unseen consequence.

As someone else pointed out, would it be as micronutrient rich? Meat has b vitamins and creatine. Would there be as many of these in there?

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    It's not as much about discovery as it is necessity from over-population, greed and destroying the environment.