Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dual monitor hz/fps issues when running media on secondary, 144hz + 60hz

Alright so basically recently i got a 144hz monitor to upgrade to as primary whilst using a 60hz secondary monitor:
    Main: acer xb271hu 144hz IPS gsync
    Secondary: Dell U2412M IPS 60hz

If the secondary 60hz monitor is playing any type of media on it, the fps on the main is stutterish, apparently its a common issue with 144+60hz monitors but i'd like to find a fix.

Main issue is I'm use to playing wow on main screen and having youtube and stuff on the second, which is now impossible.

I'm running both monitors through the graphic card (rtx 2070), both via Display port.
    I've heard "Full screen" fixes these issues but wow doesn't have that option anymore, the "Windowed" and "Fullscreen (Windowed)" don't work.
    It happens on pretty much everything though, and even the UFO test website shows the issue.

With no media running on the second monitor, the primary monitors UFO test is 144hz stable, any media on the secondary and the FPS drops down mostly locking to 60fps.

G sync is enabled for windowed and fullscreen too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was literally just searching google about this when i saw this thread, it was a weird stutter because my cpu/gpu/disk/network usage etc is normal yet in wow my fps just randomly spiked every so often and even just draggining a window around did the same thing, couldn't pin it down.

But yep closing netflix on the second screen stopped the stuttering >.<

Only noticed it today, had both monitors for years.

just trying different drivers atm/windows updates seeing if that helps :/

Monitor - asus pg279q 165hz gsync
    second - aoc 60hz
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2018-12-14 at 11:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    Alright so basically recently i got a 144hz monitor to upgrade to as primary whilst using a 60hz secondary monitor:
    Main: acer xb271hu 144hz IPS gsync
    Secondary: Dell U2412M IPS 60hz

If the secondary 60hz monitor is playing any type of media on it, the fps on the main is stutterish, apparently its a common issue with 144+60hz monitors but i'd like to find a fix.

Main issue is I'm use to playing wow on main screen and having youtube and stuff on the second, which is now impossible.

I'm running both monitors through the graphic card (rtx 2070), both via Display port.
    I've heard "Full screen" fixes these issues but wow doesn't have that option anymore, the "Windowed" and "Fullscreen (Windowed)" don't work.
    It happens on pretty much everything though, and even the UFO test website shows the issue.

With no media running on the second monitor, the primary monitors UFO test is 144hz stable, any media on the secondary and the FPS drops down mostly locking to 60fps.

G sync is enabled for windowed and fullscreen too.
    It's a common issue, because there is no fix. Basically, you're asking your GPU to display both 60 fps and 144 fps at the same time. It's not possible. You can have one or the other. If nothing is happening on the 60hz monitor, your fps will bump up to 144 on the 144hz, but if something is happening on the 60hz monitor, your GPU is forced to lower the fps output (simply because your 60hz monitor can't display 144 fps). This results in your 144hz monitor to also display in 60 fps only.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's only a problem if you are running media such as movies. I have been able to run 2-eve clients, one in the main screen at 144 Hz and another in the secondary screen at 60 Hz. Without any stuttering and fps drops. But as soon as I launch Netflix it does what you are experiencing and it's bloody annoying, to say the least.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrasibion View Post
    It's a common issue, because there is no fix. Basically, you're asking your GPU to display both 60 fps and 144 fps at the same time. It's not possible. You can have one or the other. If nothing is happening on the 60hz monitor, your fps will bump up to 144 on the 144hz, but if something is happening on the 60hz monitor, your GPU is forced to lower the fps output (simply because your 60hz monitor can't display 144 fps). This results in your 144hz monitor to also display in 60 fps only.
    I have a browser game that's animated on other screens, I can still play Skyrim at 144 fps on my main screen.
    The Browser game is running at 60 fps.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Literally none of this is correct.

Its a Windows issue because of the way they are changing the windowing manager.

Neither MacOS or Linux have this problem at all.

Its also hit or miss. Not everyone has this issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post

If you browse around a bit, you'll see that what I wrote is the general consensus. I've also never seen it "work", ever (unless you're using more than one graphics card). You can find more info on this on blurbusters.
    Last edited by mmoc4df2ab8a0e; 2018-12-15 at 09:51 AM.

Doing what i said earlier:

Putting https://www.testufo.com/ On your primary monitor, shows the fps all fine and dandy with nothing playing on second monitor, looks smooth too.
    As soon as you put anything on second monitor, it'll struggle to stay stable.

Well if you play something on second monitor and then active "Full screen" on the primary monitors test (i did it in chrome), the primary monitor is stable and uneffected by the media on second monitor.

So yeah fullscreen seems to work, but the issue is fullscreen and Dx12 is an issue.

You can try disabling any sort of GPU acceleration in any application you're viewing media on your second monitor with. That sometimes helps, but not always.
    Signature not found

Fully updated my windows updates. I avoid them due to them constantly conflicting with drivers.. But i updated them and the fps issues seem to be fixed FOR NOW...?

Youtube on 2nd monitor, ufotest on primary = fine
    Youtube on 2nd, wow on primary in windowed = fine

Will update if it changes but yeah, if you're having dual screen fps issues with 144/60hz, update windows updates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post

It's neither of these. It's a Nvidia driver/Gsync issue because this isn't a problem with AMD cards and Freesync.

If you browse around a bit, you'll see that what I wrote is the general consensus. I've also never seen it "work", ever (unless you're using more than one graphics card). You can find more info on this on blurbusters.
    It being the general consensus all it wants, it doesn't make it correct. And as Shak points out, its also not an issue with AMD cards apparently. So its definitely a Windows/nVidida driver issue, as it doesn't affect MacOS or Linux, even with wildly different refresh rates.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    It's neither of these. It's a Nvidia driver/Gsync issue because this isn't a problem with AMD cards and Freesync.
    my only disagreement here is that it IS because of how they are changing the windowing manager. Exclusive fullscreen is being deprecated. It wont be possible this time next year.

Its just not a Windows problem, but apparently an nVidia driver problem with the changes to the windowing manager.

Fully updated my windows updates. I avoid them due to them constantly conflicting with drivers.. But i updated them and the fps issues seem to be fixed FOR NOW...?

Youtube on 2nd monitor, ufotest on primary = fine
    Youtube on 2nd, wow on primary in windowed = fine

Will update if it changes but yeah, if you're having dual screen fps issues with 144/60hz, update windows updates.
    Well it didn't last.

Any media on second monitor and the windowed wow starts stuttering, the fps display shows 100+ fps but holy it feels like 20.

Turn off the media, or put it on main monitor, stuttering is gone.

Fullscreen (windowed) and the issue is gone too.
    Angry as hell right now as i upgraded to 1440p for a better gaming experience but personally it's gotten worse. I've used windowed in my games for years, i like having the taskbar at the bottom regardless of having a second monitor.

For anyone curious / similar issues, there is a thread talking about all the issues with G sync and Dual monitors (caused by windows 10 updates?)
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-released-/49/

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it didn't last.

Any media on second monitor and the windowed wow starts stuttering, the fps display shows 100+ fps but holy it feels like 20.

Turn off the media, or put it on main monitor, stuttering is gone.

Fullscreen (windowed) and the issue is gone too.
    Angry as hell right now as i upgraded to 1440p for a better gaming experience but personally it's gotten worse. I've used windowed in my games for years, i like having the taskbar at the bottom regardless of having a second monitor.

For anyone curious / similar issues, there is a thread talking about all the issues with G sync and Dual monitors (caused by windows 10 updates?)
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-released-/49/
    Should have gone with AMD... ;P

Seriously though, is it really any kind of media, like vlc or media player or whatever, or just media playing in a browser?

Alright im confused:

Wow windowed running music was fine again but after a while everytime the video finished and autoplayed to a new song, the issue happened where fps spiked down then backup..

Also doing mythic raid tonight and fps was awful most of the time, Had a game crash on Mythrax too;
    - ran into middle of room during double beam and the game just froze, didnt white screen, stop responding or anything, just hard froze and i had to end the wow process and reopen it.

After raid, i hearthed and the load screen got stuck at 50%, but i noticed my curser changed when hovering around, as if i could interact with vendors, the inkeeper sign showed for example, so i tried "/whisper x" to see if the load screen was just a visual bug and yep, my friend got my messages while i was typing whispers on a load screen.

Now i'm very confused, is my card faulty? I know the rtx series is new but i doubt it's the drivers? I have the most up to date and i can't find anyone else having these issues.

This is one of the reasons I'm super skeptical about purchasing a 144hz monitor. I'm running dual set-up: 1440p and 1080p, both 60hz on a 1070. I'd really like either another 1440p or a 1080p 144hz. All of the reports from people make me super apprehensive to pull the trigger on a 144hz. I often like to have youtube videos going on the second monitor while I play games.
    @TwentyTwelve: best advice would be to run different drivers using DDU.

Well decided to test some stuff today,

Battlefield V, RTX on and all, Ultra, around 45fps, changing graphics lower didnt really impact this in any way.
    Been seeing people with higher fps with 2070s but whatever, it had a slight freeze once.

3dmark demo seemed to be fine i guess? Looked stuttery to me but never used the program.

Decided to try some old games as playing "Borderlands 2" has had a weird experience lately,

Decided to load Dark Souls 3, And noticed awful screen tearing, with Gsync on. The game has no options for Vsync/FPS so the fps is always capped at 60.

Tested it on both my monitors with unplugging each one and rebooting etc, Both had the same tearing, tested my laptop with the same area, as i can't remember the game having them glitches there, and yeah laptop was fine.

Decided to uninstall GPU with DDU again... Reseat it and plug it in. Drivers automatically installed, the ones from last month, so no Dx12 Optimisation patch, loaded dark souls and the tearing seems to be completely gone.

Borderlands seems to feel less spikey too.

In the process of installing the latest drivers to see if the issues come back.

Another note is:

I know RTX are known for the issues of dying and all, so i'm worried for my card, Games stuttering, Wow crashed twice last night (didnt kick me out of the game, just graphics seemed to freeze, and before i uninstalled the drivers i noticed 1 small black sqaure which i guess is an artifact, during razer synapse loading - Is this possibly from the driver?)

It's not the best solution, but often times it works. If you have a 144hz and a 60hz, reducing the hz on the 144 to 120 generally works. It's because 144 isn't a multiple of 30. 120, 240, things like that work.

As for your RTX card dying... hopefully not a RIP

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well decided to test some stuff today,

Battlefield V, RTX on and all, Ultra, around 45fps, changing graphics lower didnt really impact this in any way.
    Been seeing people with higher fps with 2070s but whatever, it had a slight freeze once.

3dmark demo seemed to be fine i guess? Looked stuttery to me but never used the program.

Decided to try some old games as playing "Borderlands 2" has had a weird experience lately,

Decided to load Dark Souls 3, And noticed awful screen tearing, with Gsync on. The game has no options for Vsync/FPS so the fps is always capped at 60.

Tested it on both my monitors with unplugging each one and rebooting etc, Both had the same tearing, tested my laptop with the same area, as i can't remember the game having them glitches there, and yeah laptop was fine.

Decided to uninstall GPU with DDU again... Reseat it and plug it in. Drivers automatically installed, the ones from last month, so no Dx12 Optimisation patch, loaded dark souls and the tearing seems to be completely gone.

Borderlands seems to feel less spikey too.

In the process of installing the latest drivers to see if the issues come back.

Another note is:

I know RTX are known for the issues of dying and all, so i'm worried for my card, Games stuttering, Wow crashed twice last night (didnt kick me out of the game, just graphics seemed to freeze, and before i uninstalled the drivers i noticed 1 small black sqaure which i guess is an artifact, during razer synapse loading - Is this possibly from the driver?)
    They don't die like that. You don't see any signes of the card dieing. It just stops working
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Sigh..

Youtube still causing fps drops, Attempted to use edge while keeping chrome open in the background too, instantly starting to have screen flickering, sort of like glitches on both monitors, got into dark souls game and the edge video looked very laggy graphically.

Any ideas as to what all this is about, screen flickering and all.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sigh..

Youtube still causing fps drops, Attempted to use edge while keeping chrome open in the background too, instantly starting to have screen flickering, sort of like glitches on both monitors, got into dark souls game and the edge video looked very laggy graphically.

Any ideas as to what all this is about, screen flickering and all.
    Use DDU and clean out all of your GFX card drivers and then do a clean install of the newest Nvidia drivers and see if that helps.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details...-download.html
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: