Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Move to Nexus Mods?

It has a WoW section.
    Last edited by TheDeeGee; 2018-12-15 at 08:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    The part of Curse that hosts AddOns, Curseforge and WoWAce, was not part of the sale, and remains under Twitch. wowpedia and MMOC however are part of it.
    The level at which people are ignoring this post is shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    The level at which people are ignoring this post is shocking.
    That's what I had thought I read before. Yeah, there's nothing to worry about OP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
    Fact: Assuming I eventually get paid, DejaCharacterStats made more money in October and November on Curse than has ever been donated to it by the community. I attribute this to the bystander effect.

With this in mind are you okay with addon authors being in a predicament where they may feel beholden to Curse or other third parties instead of the community or WoW because they get paid by them, because of their reach of distribution and myriad other factors not involving money?

So ask yourself what would happen if Curse and WoWInterface or MMOChampion went away. Old school players know well how shabby addon distribution was back then.
    Yes, I am okay with it.

Addons are, in my mind, something people make because they want to, because they think their addon can make the game experience better in one way or another.
    Addons are, in my mind, not a source of income.

If people chose to make an addon for other people to use, then that's fine by me. If they no longer maintain the addon through the various expansions and patches, eventually rendering them useless, then that's just too bad. Some will be missed, most will not. The game is designed in a way that you can do well without addons. If you absolutely need an addon to play, you are not as good as you think you are.

With that said, it sucks that people being promised money are not getting paid. That's a situation everyone can relate to. But yeah, I'm quite okay with losing the addons if the development stops because they don't get paid. And yeah, I would be okay with MMO-C going away as well. It is a nice bonus to have this site, but it is in no way needed for me to play and enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Thanks for your addon at any rate. I downloaded it the second i saw it.
    Did I miss something, what addon are people talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    Did I miss something, what addon are people talking about?
    Dejacharacterstats, it gives you back the old stat pain before blizz neutered it.

but wait, who bought curse? That was a mess of a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Dejacharacterstats, it gives you back the old stat pain before blizz neutered it.

but wait, who bought curse? That was a mess of a read.
    Oh I see, well yeah the post was more about addons than talking about who the hell bought curses and the backstory
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
    So ask yourself what would happen if Curse and WoWInterface or MMOChampion went away.
    I just do what I do in Final Fantasy XIV for a few years now: play w/o addons.

Shouldn't be too hard. Even in an absolute worst case scenario (a.k.a. no more addons) Blizzard would simply adjust the encounter design to compensate.

Would be a bummer if MMO-C were to die, I love trolling around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Yes, I am okay with it.

Addons are, in my mind, something people make because they want to, because they think their addon can make the game experience better in one way or another.
    Addons are, in my mind, not a source of income.

If people chose to make an addon for other people to use, then that's fine by me. If they no longer maintain the addon through the various expansions and patches, eventually rendering them useless, then that's just too bad. Some will be missed, most will not. The game is designed in a way that you can do well without addons. If you absolutely need an addon to play, you are not as good as you think you are.

With that said, it sucks that people being promised money are not getting paid. That's a situation everyone can relate to. But yeah, I'm quite okay with losing the addons if the development stops because they don't get paid. And yeah, I would be okay with MMO-C going away as well. It is a nice bonus to have this site, but it is in no way needed for me to play and enjoy the game.
    Thats a fair look at it, but no...Blizzard standard UI sucks ass, and they dont care. There is a reason why I currently since well Legion at least, had over 100 addons installed, some very small, others bigger. The standard UI is atrocius...I owe all my gold to Auctionator, I owe my UI to weakuaras, bartender,moveanything, SUF and so on...

You are NOT a bad player because you use addons, you are a SMART player. I play more efficent, better and faster than others who dont have addons.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    You are NOT a bad player because you use addons, you are a SMART player. I play more efficent, better and faster than others who dont have addons.
    How nice of you to quote the entire post, when all that really mattered was one sentence. Thanks.

And you are absolutely correct. However, my point was exactly as I wrote it: If you absolutely need an addon to play, you are not as good as you think. Yes, far more efficient gameplay with addons compared to without. But again, if you NEED Auctionator, WeakAuras, Bartender and so on, you ARE bad. If you CAN play without but do not WANT to, then that's fine. But NEED? You're bad.
    Last edited by mmoc4ce4b1614a; 2018-12-15 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schmonz View Post
    I still do not really get who bought Curse.
    RIGHT? Seems like a simple question to answer. Everything still points to Amazon owning them like they have for awhile.

The AddOn Hosting part of Curse was not part of the sale. It remains where it is, part of Twitch now.
    They "only" sold the fansites and the wikis.
    It sounds like this post from page 2 needs to be quote again.

OP can you please just update your original post to provide the facts of the matter? Your thread title is needlessly misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    I’m speechless that people think Blizzard taking control of addon distribution would be a good thing.
    it would be amazing things . banning shit like WA would imiditaley let them reduce difficulty of content , banning raider.io woudl imisiately get rid of toxicity from game , getting rid of logging would make game going to its roots of being rpg.

addons are the sole reason why game is so unnesesarily overcomplicated nowadays

Let's migrate to thottbot

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I agree with this with one difference.

Don't even start trying to wade into the paid addon sphere. Nothing good ever comes from paid mods, just ask Bethesda and Steam.
    Indeed, that would be a shitstorm of epic proportions, but seems all Blizz does now is those so yolo xD

The part of Curse that hosts AddOns, Curseforge and WoWAce, was not part of the sale, and remains under Twitch. wowpedia and MMOC however are part of it.
    I feel like too many have missed this important detail.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I just do what I do in Final Fantasy XIV for a few years now: play w/o addons.

Shouldn't be too hard. Even in an absolute worst case scenario (a.k.a. no more addons) Blizzard would simply adjust the encounter design to compensate.

Would be a bummer if MMO-C were to die, I love trolling around here.
    Well XIV has one big up on WOW and that's that Bartender/Move Everything is already natively integrated. If I had to play on the spread out default WoW UI, ugh...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    I feel like too many have missed this important detail.
    So basically Amazon kept the Twitch Client and associated services, sold off the rest of the fluff that wasn't related to their main investment.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't need curse for addons. Host your addon on your own website or on github if you lack one. Curse is bad site anyway and twitch client, oh, boy, I made that mistake once installing it, never will do it again. Kill it with fire, pretty please!

You can download addons through the Twitch app now. I use it and it's really good.

Looks like Twitch bought Curse to extract all of it's worth, and then spit it out after it got what it wanted.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TelefonoGatewood View Post
    I've been saying for a long time that Blizzard should try to limit the addon API in order to de-escalate encounter complexity. It's silly that top guilds have their own dedicated WA writers. It's stilly that DBM is "required" addon. That should not be a thing. DBM shouldn't even need to exist - and maybe disappearance of some of the more popular combat based addons would push Blizzard to improve their default UI and perhaps we could dial back the Riverdance numbers that are modern WoW bossfights.

On top of that, I really don't understand why Blizzard hasn't taken the addon distribution in-house and built it as a part of Battle Net client. It's crazy that they allow that traffic to go to third parties and that they expose their playerbase to the risks that third-party advertising sites cause. It's very telling about their commitment to player security (they don't give a shit). For a company that seems so hell bent on keeping players within their ecosystem and counting MAU's - this seems like a real missed opporturnity. But I guess the Battle.net team is too busy building it into a Steam competitor with Activision titles and WoW is just too low priority internally.

MMO Champion going away - would be shame, it is still the nr 1 indipendent WoW discussion forum - even though the need for such forums has been declining with a new generation of gamers who are happy spamming Discord channels. I like forums, I like threaded conversations. Say what you will about the quality of some of our dicussions here but I think losing MMOC would be a huge loss to WoW community.
    Agree with you in saying addons shouldn't be mandatory, it's half the reason this game is shit. Everything is autopilot and panned out for you, and in before the dullard that's says don't use them....