Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question about starting ff14

So I am planning to start FF14 at some point between now and Xmas, and I have never played before. What is a good server to start on? I live on East Coast of US. Thanks in advance!

I'd start on one of their recommended realms on the Primal datacenter. Primal is the data center I'm closest to and I'm on the east coast as well. The recommended realms have a significant XP boost on them to help new players get caught up. If you end up wanting to continue playing, you can always pay for a transfer off the realm with the buff once you are max level if you have a desire to play somewhere else.

I recently went back to FF14 to give it a try and I'm really enjoying myself while going through the Main Story Scenario. It has way more emphasis on story than I think many MMOs do. The story also starts out kinda slow, but I felt like it really picked up around level 25-30 and became pretty interesting.

Good luck, hope you enjoy your time.

Thanks for the advice. So would these bee really low pop servers or how does that work. I want one that is fairly active where I'll have an easy time finding groups for end game stuff(obv down the line). Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hexzero13 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. So would these bee really low pop servers or how does that work. I want one that is fairly active where I'll have an easy time finding groups for end game stuff(obv down the line). Thanks!
    Most end game stuff (outside of savage which is the mythic mode equivalent of sorts) is done through the group finder. Your server will not matter too much in the next expansion which was just announced. They will let you swap to any server inside of your datacenter as a "visitor." This lets you play with friends.

You will not have too much of an issue finding players as there are bonuses to do the old content (not raids) as dungeons are required for story progression.

Have fun. Take it slow and enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by hexzero13 View Post
    Don't listen to the bullshit, start at the highest populated realm in the data center of your choice, or you will end up playing on empty dead server.

The playerbase is kinda low atm due to new xpansion in ~7 months or so, and there's not much things to do in the meantime tbh, unless you like crafting/grinding a lot/collecting ivory or other kinda meaningless things.

Also absolute most of the "Savage" modes are like (later normal, like 7+boss or smth)or first 3-4 mythic bosses @Wow, with some very small amount of exceptions.

Btw, if you're a good player : Be prepared to see some EXTREME amount of noobs in it, like imagine the absolute bottom of WoW and add another few layers to it, that is the absolute majority of FFxiv playerbase.
    Last edited by Pu3Ho; 2018-12-17 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pu3Ho View Post
    Don't listen to the bullshit, start at the highest populated realm in the data center of your choice, or you will end up playing on empty dead server. The playerbase is kinda low atm due to new xpansion in ~7 months or so, and there's not much things to do in the meantime tbh, unless you like crafting/grinding a lot.
    1. There's plenty to do for a brand new player. If anything you are the one talking absolute BS.

2. Road to 60 servers usually get an influx of new players on which is why they are swapped to other servers so often to encourage playing on them. And any server is fine to play on. Even the lower pop ones have a community/economy so don't spread misinformation. Not to mention you can tp to other worlds on the same Data Center in patch 4.5 just with restrictions.

If I can play just fine on low pop EU servers like Zodiark and Louisoix (alts there for friends) then the OP can easily play just fine on the low pop NA ones. Since NA has a larger population for the game.

3. Patch 4.5 is on it's way next month. Usually players will be back then. There is a very short lull due to how the final patches are handled. Part 1 comes January and Part 2 in March which means a 3-4 month lull until the expansion.

Btw, if you're a good player : Be prepared to see some EXTREME amount of noobs in it, like imagine the absolute bottom of WoW and add another few layers to it, that is the absolute majority of FFxiv playerbase.
    Don't pass off your personal and anecdotal experience as fact please. It's just more blatant misinformation. Of course there are bad players like every MMO but you are flat out over exaggerating it to try and make a point.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-12-17 at 09:25 PM.

Don't listen to the bullshit, start at the highest populated realm in the data center of your choice, or you will end up playing on empty dead server. The playerbase is kinda low atm due to new xpansion in ~7 months or so, and there's not much things to do in the meantime tbh, unless you like crafting/grinding a lot/collecting ivory or other kinda meaningless things.
    They are going to be starting from the beginning. 3 whole storylines to finish and explore that content, plus leveling any other jobs they see fit.

Also the realm visit function will be released before the expac.

Final edit: If @Eleccybubb is open to it, you should PM him about it. He is knowledgeable about FFXIV and has a good head on his shoulders about pros and cons in different mmos. He is who I talk to occasionally.
    Last edited by CerealLord; 2018-12-17 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    They are going to be starting from the beginning. 3 whole storylines to finish and explore that content, plus leveling any other jobs they see fit.

Final edit: If @Eleccybubb is open to it, you should PM him about it. He is knowledgeable about FFXIV and has a good head on his shoulders about pros and cons in different mmos. He is who I talk to occasionally.
    Well I'll take the compliment but yeah. Only thing I lack info on is what NA servers are good.

I mean I know if you like RP then there is Balmung and Mateus. But that's it.

I think Gilgamesh is a server for raiders but I'm not entirely sure. But yeah feel free to PM me if you need help. Sadly I don't have an NA alt anymore and I'm on EU.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh btw @hexzero13

That is what the NA data center/servers will be like a while after 4.5. They are reshuffling the servers and splitting NA up from 2 to 3 data centers.

Well, that depends on the amount of time you invest into it tbh, for me it took like 2 weeks to get lvl 70 and in the meanwhile clear all the dungeons in the game.... and around a month or so to gear up/find a good enough group to clear all of the Omega(Savage) Encounters. Obviously this was done on a proper server.

Sadly they didn't want to progress Ultimates, due to it being mostly time wasting and they didn't want to bother with them, also fights being godfck long and aren't very interesting tbh(this was their reasoning for most part, worth noting some of them already cleared those and had the exp).

Also what i'l suggest to OP is to start with "viable" classes, cuz due to narrowminded community, you might have a hard time of getting into PuG groups as a Black Mage or Samurai(for example) for any meaningful content, even if you are thousand times better than that group.
    Last edited by Pu3Ho; 2018-12-17 at 09:41 PM.

Well, that depends on the amount of time you invest into it tbh, for me it took like 2 weeks to get lvl 70 and in the meanwhile clear all the dungeons in the game.... and around a month or so to gear up/find a good enough group to clear all of the Omega(Savage) Encounters. Obviously this was done on a proper server.

Sadly they didn't want to progress Ultimates, due to it being mostly time wasting and they didn't want to bother with them, also fights being godfck long and aren't very interesting tbh(this was their reasoning for most part, worth noting some of them already cleared those and had the exp).
    It's not just about raiding and dungeons though for everyone. Judging by your post now it seems you invested into this game for that reason which is fair.

Hunting, Treasure Maps, RP, Gold Saucer, Side Story content like Hildibrand or Postmoogle stuff, Crafting, Gathering, Housing, Glamour Hunting and list goes on. But it's all dependant on what the OP wants to do ingame.

Also what i'l suggest to OP is to start with "viable" classes, cuz due to narrowminded community, you might have a hard time of getting into PuG groups as a Black Mage or Samurai(for example) for any meaningful content, even if you are thousand times better than that group.
    Again you are flat out spreading misinformation. You will be taken to most statics if you are good with the job. Yes some prefer "meta" jobs but you will easily find one as any job. I have SAM and BLM friends who have cleared Ultimate Coil and Weapon.

You are assuming the OP only wants to get into this game to raid endgame again. Let them at least tell us what they want first before deciding their whole gameplay setup for them.

For all we know they might just wanna play Triple Triad or Chocobo Racing.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-12-17 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    It's not just about raiding and dungeons though for everyone. Judging by your post now it seems you invested into this game for that reason which is fair.

Hunting, Treasure Maps, RP, Gold Saucer, Side Story content like Hildibrand or Postmoogle stuff, Crafting, Gathering, Housing, Glamour Hunting and list goes on. But it's all dependant on what the OP wants to do ingame.
    ZombieBrand and some of the PostMoogle was actually good, i liked it ;P Other stuff... not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
    why would you ask people for ff14 on wow forum?
    This is the FF14 sub forum. Work it out.

- - - Updated - - -

ZombieBrand was actually good, i liked it ;P Other stuff... not so much.
    Eh Hildy for me was good in ARR, meh in Heavensward because he was brought in last second when he was supposed to be on a break but Stormblood has been decent so far.

There's rumors that 4.5 will have a new Hildy trial involving Yojimbo.

involving Yojimbo.
    Whaaaaaaaaat?!?! Guess I'm resubbing.

- - - Updated - - -

but this is a wow forum...
    i can go on football website to discuss politics but that wouldn't be so smart would it? smart is the subject here
    This is a multi-game forum. That is why there are sub-forums. This is a fine place to discuss it.

but this is a wow forum...
    i can go on football website to discuss politics but that wouldn't be so smart would it? smart is the subject here
    And this is the FF14 sub forum of MMO-Champion. For discussion of that specific game. As there is one for Guild Wars 2, Video games in general, Minecraft, League and Dota 2.

There is the General Discussion section and whatnot for WoW.

Again work it out. I'll give you another shot at it.

my local football website also offer sub forums. your argument is weak. try again
    And welcome to ignore. Since it's clear what you are doing now.

my local football website also offer sub forums. your argument is weak. try again
    And your local football website would be fine to discuss it with the football community of that website. People can like other things.

I cannot wait for your obtuse reply

And your local football website would be fine to discuss it with the football community of that website. People can like other things.

I cannot wait for your obtuse reply
    Just ignore him and end it at this mate. He knows what he is doing now and I've reported it to the mods as derailing.

Just ignore him and end it at this mate. He knows what he is doing now and I've reported it to the mods as derailing.
    Done.

/tenchar

@hexzero13

Oh another thing.

If you get to 30 I think it is for the first time on a Road to 60 marked server (little orange star icon next to the server name) then you get some free game time and 1 million gil if I recall. It's only once per account for obvious reasons.

@hexzero13

Oh another thing.

If you get to 30 I think it is for the first time on a Road to 60 marked server (little orange star icon next to the server name) then you get some free game time and 1 million gil if I recall. It's only once per account for obvious reasons.
    Stop saying things to make me go level new toons.