Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Need help: Wife gave me her Amex and I'm looking at monitors

I've realized that gaming on 4k and streaming is a pipe dream for me with my current setup, which I'll post below. Downscaling my resolution to 1440p is really the sweet spot at the moment for everything and anything. I'm looking for recommendations from MMO Champ on my next monitor purchase. At the moment, I'm sporting a 2160p TN Dell monitor, with no GSYNC or Freesync. It's not the greatest for color and display, but the resolution has been nice for awhile and I'm looking for a change.

As a note: I will be updating my current rig sometime next year. I'm eyeing the new AMD chips that are forthcoming, and am unsure if the new Video cards are going to be ideal, so that's in my back pocket. Even now I'm bottlenecked by my GPU for 4k and the reasonable cards now also seem to be.

Current Setup
    I7 - 5820k @ 4.4Ghz
    GTX 1080
    16GB 2400 RAM
    1GB/1GB Internet

Looking for a monitor
    Budget - Below $1000 USD
    Resolution - 1440p
    Games / Settings Desired - WOW, D3, Fallout 76, next Metro. No competitive FPS titles
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - Streaming 1080p 60
    Country - USA

Also welcome any other upgrade suggestions.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering the following at the moment as a replacement:

Acer - Predator XB271HU BMIPRZ 27" IPS LED WQHD, though I recognize this will force me to stay NVIDIA for the near future.
    ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR 27 - Same as above, but a TN panel
    ASUS ROG PG279Q 27 - The Asus version of the IPS above
    Acer Predator Gaming Z321QU bmiphzx - Larger, more expensive but a curved VA. I don't have much experience with VA panels
    Last edited by Erous; 2018-12-18 at 04:23 AM.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4yG...nitor-s2716dgr

I recommend this monitor universally, i did an absurd amount of research before i bought mine ( i got the 24" version) going as far as browsing 1000 page owners threads on overclock .net before i made my purchase. All IPS panels WILL display backlight bleed (manufacturers call this ips glow to sound better, lol) which is a lot less common on these dell gsync TN panels. The only true advantage (current) IPS displays have over TN is color gamut, and that isnt an inherent technological disadvantage of TN its just that not many companies are producing high quality TN displays right now.

I wouldnt worry too much about sticking with a gsync monitor, there really is zero chance AMD catches up to nvidia in GPU market and if they do magically pull a 2080ti killer out of their hat it would consume 2x the power and nvidia would just release something faster a month later lol.

But ya the dell TN's are from my thorough research the best gaming monitors on the market at any price point, well until you start talking about the 2k dollar 4k gsync panels with local dimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post

I recommend this monitor universally, i did an absurd amount of research before i bought mine ( i got the 24" version) going as far as browsing 1000 page owners threads on overclock .net before i made my purchase. All IPS panels WILL display backlight bleed (manufacturers call this ips glow to sound better, lol) which is a lot less common on these dell gsync TN panels. The only true advantage (current) IPS displays have over TN is color gamut, and that isnt an inherent technological disadvantage of TN its just that not many companies are producing high quality TN displays right now.

I wouldnt worry too much about sticking with a gsync monitor, there really is zero chance AMD catches up to nvidia in GPU market and if they do magically pull a 2080ti killer out of their hat it would consume 2x the power and nvidia would just release something faster a month later lol.

But ya the dell TN's are from my thorough research the best gaming monitors on the market at any price point, well until you start talking about the 2k dollar 4k gsync panels with local dimming.
    Interestingly enough I have the DELL s2817q. It's hardly built for gaming and the picture quality is somewhat washed out. It's also stuck at 60hz with no variable refresh, hence why I'm looking to move on. The 4k piece is nice for everything except ultra gaming with my current rig.

If you're looking for color you're going to want to steer clear of TN, they're all kind of washed out like that.

My Wife got a 1440p 144hz VA panel and the thing looks amazing compared to her TN panel. You do lose a little in response time quickness (it's like 4ms vs 1ms) but it's not noticeablehttps://www.amazon.com/d/Monitors/27...words=1440p+va but you can shop around, all the 1440p VA's use the same Samsung panel.

Otherwise if you can stand to lose a little more response time, stick to IPS.

Can vouch for the Acer Predator display.

1440p 165Hz + GSync is really nice. GSync itself is really good when you can't reach your max refresh rate so you won't get tearing or small lag spikes when FPS changes. The only issue as you mentioned is that you are locked to Nvidia GPUs, but AMD isn't looking like they are going to put up a fight anyway in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post

1440p 165Hz + GSync is really nice. GSync itself is really good when you can't reach your max refresh rate so you won't get tearing or small lag spikes when FPS changes. The only issue as you mentioned is that you are locked to Nvidia GPUs, but AMD isn't looking like they are going to put up a fight anyway in the near future.
    Yeah, was hoping the CES announcements in January would immortalize AMD, but it could be grim.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post

Gsync is so damn overpriced though, it's basically 200 bucks on top. And I wouldn't count AMD out, My vega 64 out performs my wife's 1080 and cost less (it's not isolated either, benchmarks show it out performing the 1080) they just don't have a Ti equivalent. Wouldn't be surprised if their next gen rivaled everything under the 2080ti.

And lets face it RTX series is kind of gimmicky, it's seeing less frame rate increase over previous generational jumps and Ray tracing is far too new to bank on (and tanks your FPS).

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Gsync is so damn overpriced though, it's basically 200 bucks on top. And I wouldn't count AMD out, My vega 64 out performs my wife's 1080 and cost less (it's not isolated either, benchmarks show it out performing the 1080) they just don't have a Ti equivalent. Wouldn't be surprised if their next gen rivaled everything under the 2080ti.

And lets face it RTX series is kind of gimmicky, it's seeing less frame rate increase over previous generational jumps and Ray tracing is far too new to bank on (and tanks your FPS).
    I don't disagree with the gimmicky piece and I have been eyeing the vega, but it'd be a side grade for my 1080. There are actually 2080s at my local best buy that I'm weighing. Do I spend the same on a new GPU (2080), New monitor, or simply wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    I don't disagree with the gimmicky piece and I have been eyeing the vega, but it'd be a side grade for my 1080. There are actually 2080s at my local best buy that I'm weighing. Do I spend the same on a new GPU (2080), New monitor, or simply wait.
    My thoughts? I'd grab a good monitor and wait to see if AMD pulls it off (i upgraded from a 1060-6g, got the card, re2 remake, division 2 and dmc 5 for 400 bucks lol, couldn't pass it up)

If amd doesn't? you still have a good monitor and 1440p is EASY to hit hz marks on.

If you're looking for color you're going to want to steer clear of TN, they're all kind of washed out like that.

My Wife got a 1440p 144hz VA panel and the thing looks amazing compared to her TN panel. You do lose a little in response time quickness (it's like 4ms vs 1ms) but it's not noticeablehttps://www.amazon.com/d/Monitors/27...words=1440p+va but you can shop around, all the 1440p VA's use the same Samsung panel.

Otherwise if you can stand to lose a little more response time, stick to IPS.
    What TN does your wife have? These dell 165hz TN's are anything but washed out.

I may have not done as much research as you,but I can say that I'm very satisfied with mine,haven't had any issue with it and it's exactly what I wanted,so I agree with you

What TN does your wife have? These dell 165hz TN's are anything but washed out.
    AOC 24 in 144hz, was like 300 bucks when we bought it. And the guy has a dell and he's calling it washed out so it's obviously not what he's looking for.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

The GTX 1080 wins 80% of benchmarks against the Vega 64 and the Vega card uses way more power then the gtx 1080. The Vega 64 is not worth the money AT ALL
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

AOC 24 in 144hz, was like 300 bucks when we bought it. And the guy has a dell and he's calling it washed out so it's obviously not what he's looking for.
    You should probably chill with your opinions unless you have had first hand experience with these monitors, the only complaint anyone ever has with these is color banding on some scenes in some games. All things considered you cant beat these monitors for the price, IPS panels are really kinda gross on dark scenes as almost all of them will have backlight bleed that is quite distracting. That is on top of the fact that TN feels much faster than IPS, you cant go by MS ratings they are different technologies and TN inherently feel faster than IPS and its noticeable.

But then again you are the same guy who said they couldnt tell if gsync was on or not, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    The GTX 1080 wins 80% of benchmarks against the Vega 64 and the Vega card uses way more power then the gtx 1080. The Vega 64 is not worth the money AT ALL
    Want to try that again? https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2139?vs=2143 they both win and lose but they're very close to each other for the most part, and my card cost about 280 after deducting the price for games I was going to buy anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

You should probably chill with your opinions unless you have had first hand experience with these monitors, the only complaint anyone ever has with these is color banding on some scenes in some games. All things considered you cant beat these monitors for the price, IPS panels are really kinda gross on dark scenes as almost all of them will have backlight bleed that is quite distracting. That is on top of the fact that TN feels much faster than IPS, you cant go by MS ratings they are different technologies and TN inherently feel faster than IPS and its noticeable.

But then again you are the same guy who said they couldnt tell if gsync was on or not, heh.
    He said he had a dell and didn't like it, so you offer up another dell? Do you expect a 1440p 165hz TN DELL panel to be miles better in quality for him then a 4k TN panel by the SAME manufacturer? You have to look at what someone WANTS before you suggest something.

Want to try that again? https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2139?vs=2143 they both win and lose but they're very close to each other for the most part, and my card cost about 280 after deducting the price for games I was going to buy anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

He said he had a dell and didn't like it, so you offer up another dell? Do you expect a 1440p 165hz TN DELL panel to be miles better in quality for him then a 4k TN panel by the SAME manufacturer? You have to look at what someone WANTS before you suggest something.
    You say that as if dell actually makes the panels, holy hell man stop suggesting stuff when you know literally nothing about monitors.

I dont care if people are stupid, its when they get loud about it i have a problem with...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Says the guy who told everyone gen1 ryzen was the way to go...
    When ryzen launched intel only had 4c CPU's to compete (aka 7700k), you were absolutely correct in picking ryzen 7 over intel then. Today, things have obviously changed.

Not sure what that has to do with this thread tho...

And this is why you don't listen to Fascinate kids.
    Huh? If you bought a 7700k when ryzen launched you made a bad purchase. 7600k over 1600x i actually feel bad for those people.

You say that as if dell actually makes the panels, holy hell man stop suggesting stuff when you know literally nothing about monitors.

I dont care if people are stupid, its when they get loud about it i have a problem with...

- - - Updated - - -

When ryzen launched intel only had 4c CPU's to compete (aka 7700k), you were absolutely correct in picking ryzen 7 over intel then. Today, things have obviously changed.

Not sure what that has to do with this thread tho...
    It's not like they're going to buy panels from multiple different companies, try again. That actually hurts your argument btw, there's only a few companies that MAKE the panels, which means if you don't like 1 TN panel you probably won't like most of them.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Cool rebuttal, really showing the thought process there.

I understand you are just a random internet nobody, but you gotta put at least a little effort in if you are gonna call me out like that. A 7600k is a 4c 4c cpu that was outdated before it even came out, can you imagine spending 240 dollars on that chip just a mere two years ago? There are some mainstream games that will max that cpu out 100% the entire time, you couldnt even stream battlefield 5 with that cpu at 720p.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not like they're going to buy panels from multiple different companies, try again. That actually hurts your argument btw, there's only a few companies that MAKE the panels, which means if you don't like 1 TN panel you probably won't like most of them.
    Yea cause its all the same right, 180 dollar 1080p 144hz monitor is the same as a 400 dollar 1440p 165hz.....right?

You literally made that comparison above with your wife's AOC that you overpaid for....

Just maybe chill a bit with the opinions unless you have first hand experience with the subject at hand, fair?

Cool rebuttal, really showing the thought process there.

I understand you are just a random internet nobody, but you gotta put at least a little effort in if you are gonna call me out like that. A 7600k is a 4c 4c cpu that was outdated before it even came out, can you imagine spending 240 dollars on that chip just a mere two years ago? There are some mainstream games that will max that cpu out 100% the entire time, you couldnt even stream battlefield 5 with that cpu at 720p.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea cause its all the same right, 180 dollar 1080p 144hz monitor is the same as a 400 dollar 1440p 165hz.....right?

You literally made that comparison above with your wife's AOC that you overpaid for....

Just maybe chill a bit with the opinions unless you have first hand experience with the subject at hand, fair?
    He has a 4K Dell, at this point you're arguing to argue. Or are you going to tell me that 2k should look better the 4k?