Poll: If you found a purse with $10,000 in it, what would you do?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbleem View Post
    Likely criminals?

$10,000 really isn't that much...
    It is to just have in a purse. Anyone spending that kind of money normally will do it electronically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/22/us/ca...rse/index.html

What would you have done in this situation?
    I would have done the same. Not my money, don't want it.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    I once found a wallet with a couple of thousand in it. Called every number she had in her wallet, excluding the parol officer. The weight watchers gave me her number and she ended up driving to the call center I worked at. She came into the office as my buddies yelled “did you bang her yet”, she thanked me... I said “your last name is Nguyen, we have someone working here with that name, are you related?”... she said no and years later I found out how dumb that question was. That was it... so, yeah, I would do that again...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Forgottenone View Post
    Authorities: Thank you for turning in this purse with $50 in it. We'll make sure it is returned to it's rightful owner.
    My father found 200€ infront of a ATM at a gas station.
    He brought it to the police and told them to check the security cameras or talk to the bank that own the atm, so they have a easy job.
    Normal they inform you when the owner get the money back or after 1 year the founder gets it.
    After 2 years no info or money ^^ hurray on the police force....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    If someone can afford to run around with 10K in cash,you don't want to fuck with them
    They're obviously rich,and likely criminals
    Given that I don't want to end up taking a prolonged swim with concrete shoes,I'm likely just leaving it where it is
    Or you know.. they're buying a car? A house?

Hunter gatherer that bad boy.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

You know id have to be in the situation to figure out what i would do i think hahah 10k is alot of money to come across.
    Pretend i said something witty and profound.

Easiest judgement call ever; Turn everything in, then just wait and cross your fingers that it goes 30 days without being claimed, then you get to keep it
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

I'm not sure what I would do. I would probably wonder if there were cameras in the subway and if they caught me picking up the purse. That could put me into a tight spot if the person were to look for their purse.

I am not sure why, but my first thought when I read the OP was this was probably a Russian prostitute's purse and that was what she earned the previous night. The way the cash was wrapped plus the type of purse. I know it could have been anyone but...

I also don't trust the cops not to take some of that cash, so turning it in isn't something I think I would do.

It is a hard decision. I remember when I was in high school i was desperate for cash. I was near an ATM and someone had left their bank card in after pulling out some cash. I was on the fence about taking their cash, but in the end, I felt what if they needed that money more than me? I didn't do it. I honestly don't know what I would do with the 10k. I wouldn't give it to the cops though.

To speak about me, I would be too afraid to spend the money...probably

take $ then just turn the bag in anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Or you know.. they're buying a car? A house?
    Given it's in dollars,it's a first world country,so they'd buy a car with something other than cash,people don't just throw cash around in civilised countries anymore

That or the US is quite a bit more backwards than I'd expected on that matter

Depends if I know who dropped it and what their situation is. If I did not know I would return it as I would eternally wonder if I ruined the year of some poor family with children. If I knew it belonged to someone with more money than brains I would keep the cash and throw the rest in the garbage.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Turn all of it in. it's the right thing to do

10+ Year Old Account
    be 10k richer

Quote Originally Posted by Sails View Post
    Also 10,000 isn't enough to worth danger for
    Yeah, that's the key point here. It's not enough to risk your life for.

But what happens if it's 1 million instead ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep the money and hand in the purse if it had id and debit cards n stuff in it, if it just has the money I'd chuck it probably

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Yeah, that's the key point here. It's not enough to risk your life for.

But what happens if it's 1 million instead ?
    The more money it is, the less likely it is to simply go unclaimed and the more difficult it is to spend if kept without raising suspicion.

No offense, but why do people think because it's $10k that they suddenly will get thwacked over the head and killed? This aint no movie with spies all over looking at that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Asotcha View Post
    Easiest judgement call ever; Turn everything in, then just wait and cross your fingers that it goes 30 days without being claimed, then you get to keep it
    Criminals aren't going to a police department to claim the money. They'll come to you for it. And what, they'll give up after you say it was legally passed to you? Because...they are such upstanding and law abiding citizens? Day 35 you end up in the local news, not in a way favorable to you
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.