Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by laplacedemon View Post
    It will take a lot more than melting the ice caps though because liquid water would either just evaporate or freeze again. To be able to have liquid water, we need its atmosphere to be a lot denser than it currently is (which is around 0,6% of Earth's) and also increase the temperature. We would need greenhouse gasses for that, however there is no easy way to do it. The easiest greenhouse gas we can get is CO2 and the easiest way to get CO2 is vaporizing the ice caps, however a recent study showed that all it would do was double the atmospheric pressure, to 1,2% of Earth's. Apparently even if we harvest the CO2 from the dust particles in the soil and the surface mineral deposits, we could get to ~10% of what we need.

So the CO2 sources we can tap into with our current technology simply aren't enough. We need to find new sources and develop new technologies because those sources won't be easy to get (maybe deep mining, maybe asteroids, maybe finding some other greenhouse gasses which have a longer life yet easily produced).
    Clearly easiest way is to ship it from Venus.

Bonus - we can get Venus to bearable surface temperatures (instead of being hotter then Mercury) if we remove most of CO2 there :P

Should individual nations establish their own settlements, or should that right be reserved for international coalitions?

I mean we already have a 'solution' to that right now. We've all just joined up for the most part. Take a look at the ISS.

What about powerful corporations?

Its probably going to be the country the corporation is from dictating what they can do.

Secondly, there’s the matter of developing laws that are relevant to life on Mars or wherever else.

Initially it will be exactly the same as Earth. If there are ISS-like group hubs, simple rules will be enacted. It really depends on what stage of life on mars we're talking about here. If you're talking about trained astronauts, well, these are basically hand picked really smart and reasonable men and women. You don't need to worry about them doing shit like going on a murder spree, stealing shit or raping each other. If you mean later stages where civilians go to mars, it will be likely some sort of tribe system, where the origin country rules their perspective people, and perhaps some sort of group of 'elders' will be enacted, with the leaders of all countries.

Thinking about it, you can basically answer all these questions with how early human civilisations acted.

he pondered how various nations like the U.S. China might respond differently to rebellious colonies. When should these settlements become independent, if they should at all?

We already have this answer with the US rebelling against the UK. Its pretty much the exact same thing that will happen on future colonies.

Will they all fall under one governing coalition, or will they be separate entities?

British Empire or Roman Empire is a good fit here. Universal laws are established, with some tweaks. For instance, resources are probably going to be ultra precious early on, so doing something like destroying food might be punishable where as back on Earth, no one gives a shit if you destroy some food.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post

How long will it be before humanity becomes so desperate that we have to inhabit an uninhabitable planet?
    Especially the part is complete idiocy. Even if we literally nuked our whole planet into a wasteland, it would still be easier to survive here than on another planet with hostile conditions like mars. Only scenario where another planet is interesting is if for some reason this planet is actually in danger of being destroyed (sun, mega-comet, etc), we actually gain something by going to another one (resources) or it is an upgrade above this one. None of that seems to be the case any time soon..

Basically these questions will be answered as soon as there are guns and bombs on Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by Webzine View Post
    For people to live on Mars there should be sea, billions of trees, animals etc...... Have a look at Earth.
    Shit, he's right, there's no seas, trees and animals on Mars.

How could we have missed this for so long!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Here is the answer to all of the questions. First we need to work together as a planet for it to be plausible. Our best minds, our best colonists, people from all backgrounds working together. Screw "who should be the ones to do it". It needs to be a joint effort to maximize the success for our species.

Second, the colonists should be the ones to create and enforce their laws. No one on Earth would have the ability to do so. It doesn't take a genius to understand that literally no one would be able to enforce the laws except someone who is Right There.

Third, of course they shouldn't be allowed to be independent. They arn't going to be the ones funding their little trip, nor continuous to support their survival while they attempt to get settled. How would a country react to their colonies not working out? By cutting off resources DUH! That would be if they were even dumb enough to try anything to begin with when they would be 100% reliant on supplies and aid from their home countries. This isn't like a colony on Earth where they could survive on their own without any help. They would absolutely need things from Earth.

And to answer the final question, see number 3s answer. How would the interact? Seriously? Peacefully or they get no more supplies. This would be a 100% non issue until Very far in the future where a planet could survive, 100% independently of Earth. By then though, they would be so bonded to one another that I doubt any of them would try anything since they would know full well that their home planet of Earth is who created their livable planet.

I mean seriously, is this guy some idiot or something? How are these even "questions" when the answers are right there. I would seriously revoke that guy from being the president of any type of institution.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a fifth and sixth unanswered question.

At what point does living on Mars become a inviting prospect?

and

How long will it be before humanity becomes so desperate that we have to inhabit an uninhabitable planet?
    The prospect of living on Mars would become inviting when the threat of dieing is near zero. They will also become desperate enough the moment death is all but assured otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

I`ve heard water was found there recently, is it true?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Clearly easiest way is to ship it from Venus.

Bonus - we can get Venus to bearable surface temperatures (instead of being hotter then Mercury) if we remove most of CO2 there :P
    how many million ships will you need? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Here is the answer to all of the questions. First we need to work together as a planet for it to be plausible. Our best minds, our best colonists, people from all backgrounds working together. Screw "who should be the ones to do it". It needs to be a joint effort to maximize the success for our species.

Second, the colonists should be the ones to create and enforce their laws. No one on Earth would have the ability to do so. It doesn't take a genius to understand that literally no one would be able to enforce the laws except someone who is Right There.

Third, of course they shouldn't be allowed to be independent. They arn't going to be the ones funding their little trip, nor continuous to support their survival while they attempt to get settled. How would a country react to their colonies not working out? By cutting off resources DUH! That would be if they were even dumb enough to try anything to begin with when they would be 100% reliant on supplies and aid from their home countries. This isn't like a colony on Earth where they could survive on their own without any help. They would absolutely need things from Earth.

And to answer the final question, see number 3s answer. How would the interact? Seriously? Peacefully or they get no more supplies. This would be a 100% non issue until Very far in the future where a planet could survive, 100% independently of Earth. By then though, they would be so bonded to one another that I doubt any of them would try anything since they would know full well that their home planet of Earth is who created their livable planet.

I mean seriously, is this guy some idiot or something? How are these even "questions" when the answers are right there. I would seriously revoke that guy from being the president of any type of institution.
    I think you're forgetting that any long term Martian colony would have to be self-sufficient from the start. It takes roughly 8 months to reach Mars from Earth, too long a time for anyone to depend on basic necessities such as food and water.

Quote Originally Posted by your mother View Post
    how many million ships will you need? lol
    Just build a fleet of solar sailing barges!

Amount depends on how fast you want it to happen, obviously :P

Quote Originally Posted by DERTyy View Post
    I`ve heard water was found there recently, is it true?
    As in liquid water? There arte suspected deposits deep within the earth, but not on the atmosphere. There is a lot of ice on the polar caps of mars, though, that could possibly be liquified. You'd still need to create an atmosphere there first; as people have said already, you'd need greenhouse gasses to warm it up, and then use plants to create a breathable atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    (Source)

I think the most preferential way of colonization would be through a collaboration of various countries (i.e. US, EU, India, Japan) as a way to alleviate the possibility of future conflict. Although this would make governance and sovereignty more of a complicated matter.
    I feel that humanity is not yet mature enough to settle another planet.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

I have a fifth and sixth unanswered question.

At what point does living on Mars become a inviting prospect?

and

Never and Never

If at any point we have the technology to make Mars habitable, then we more than have the technology to make the Earth habitable

No matter how bad things get on Earth, they will still be 1000times better than Mars where anything and everything will instantly kill you!

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Especially the part is complete idiocy. Even if we literally nuked our whole planet into a wasteland, it would still be easier to survive here than on another planet with hostile conditions like mars. Only scenario where another planet is interesting is if for some reason this planet is actually in danger of being destroyed (sun, mega-comet, etc), we actually gain something by going to another one (resources) or it is an upgrade above this one. None of that seems to be the case any time soon..
    Pretty much yeah
    Only scenario I can think of is a small colony like an outpost to use as a stop to further places that are upgrades like you describe
    Last edited by d00mGuArD; 2018-12-24 at 06:32 PM.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    I think you're forgetting that any long term Martian colony would have to be self-sufficient from the start. It takes roughly 8 months to reach Mars from Earth, too long a time for anyone to depend on basic necessities such as food and water.
    They wouldn't need to be 100% self-suffcient. Just enough so that they can hold out for more supplies.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    I for one recognize the republic of Mars. Seriously any bit of land that becomes remotely profitable will establish their own government, including Mars.