Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The law requires banks are required to file Suspicious Activity Reports for transactions over $5K as per the Patriot Act.

Many consider Omar Mateen to be a terrorist yet somehow a $27K spending spree on weaponry is not deemed worthy of a SA Report.
    Can you provide a source for this? $27k is a lot of fucking money. He only bought 2 guns which wouldnt amount to $27k, unless he used the rest to purchase a shit ton of ammo.
    Kara Swisher: What do you think about Cory Booker saying kick them in the shins?
    Hillary Clinton: Well, that was Eric Holder.
    Kara Swisher: Eric Holder, oh, Eric Holder, sorry.
    Hillary Clinton: Yeah, I know they all look alike.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Can you provide a source for this? $27k is a lot of fucking money. He only bought 2 guns which wouldnt amount to $27k, unless he used the rest to purchase a shit ton of ammo.
    Link is in the original post. I know its the Failing New York Times but it'll have to do.

Link is in the original post. I know its the Failing New York Times but it'll have to do.
    Right, but they claim
    Twelve days before the shooting, he began a $26,532 buying spree: a Sig Sauer MCX .223-caliber rifle, a Glock 17 9-millimeter semiautomatic pistol, several large magazines, thousands of rounds of ammunition and a $7,500 ring for his wife that he bought on a jewelry store card. His average spending before that, on his only card, was $1,500 a month.
    Which is not a proper and complete accounting of the charges. I mean they listed a $7.5k ring in the list. A rifle, glock, magazines and ammo wont add up to $27k. At most it is what, $5k if youre being generous.

It is more like the dude knew he had a high chance of dying at the very least never seeing freedom again and decided to rack up his cards which could have been spent on shit for his wife (the ring), expensive dinners, etc..
    Kara Swisher: What do you think about Cory Booker saying kick them in the shins?

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    ....you do realize that ammo still require more than plastic and metal to be remotely deadly, don't you?
    All a firearm is a projectile with a powder charge behind it. Then something to spark the charge. You can buy all the materials to make black powder at Walmart. Its not a difficult concept. This isn't rocket science and sending someone to the moon.

There are tons of how to do it out there. Videos of 3d printed ammo.

Ive bought 1000+ rounds from walmart before. Buying that much isnt anything special

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    Ive bought 1000+ rounds from walmart before. Buying that much isnt anything special
    Especially .223 and 9mm. Those are cheap as hell.

Such a disappointment on the click bait. Was expecting some hitman-like stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    All a firearm is a projectile with a powder charge behind it. Then something to spark the charge. You can buy all the materials to make black powder at Walmart. Its not a difficult concept. This isn't rocket science and sending someone to the moon.
    Yes but that could easily change, the government could simply control gunpowder.

You could theoretically make gunpowder at home, but it's extremely impractical. Black powder, sure if you're an enthusiast and know your stuff. But unless you want to go on a mass shooting with a musket or single action revolver or something that's not that useful.

Even if that was a problem, which I doubt, the government could control the components. We control aspirin so we could probably control saltpeter etc. In fact I think fertiliser is already controlled due to people making bombs out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    That's because the US doesn't control the sale of ammo. It's quite easy to do if you take gun control seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post

There are tons of how to do it out there. Videos of 3d printed ammo.
    Yea, you can just make a primer, because that obviously doesn't require any specialized machinery...

Also most guns won't run on black powder for very long, especially not something cheaply made with a 3D printer. That stuff is very messy.

Deleted
    The law requires banks are required to file Suspicious Activity Reports for transactions over $5K as per the Patriot Act.
    Land of the free olollololololol. That's too ridiculous to believe.

This is legitimately one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen. You could use this logic to blame banks for virtually every crime that has ever happened.

And all shooter used oxygen to breath. Lets ban oxygen

Banks finance Drunk Driving! Every drunk driving incident in the last 20 years has started with a bank loan! When are we going to address this horrible thing and close all the banks. If it saves just 1 life then we need to do it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    Did you miss the "unwittingly" part? It was right there in the title.

No, you can not blame credit card companies for gun violence. You can blame the gun lobby for gun violence.
    No you can blame the crazy person who pulls the trigger and maybe the people who bully them. But the gun lobby is just defending the rights of Americans that the ACLU refuses to defend.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Purchased guns and ammunition clips should be tagged and monitored by GPS networks. The moment someone packs we know he's planning something.
    Let me start by saying I support gun rights.

What should happen is that ammo purchases should be tracked and a heavy tax should be placed on them. Anything over 500 rounds (total, not per caliber, over a specified time period) , should be tracked or flagged so that the FBI can immediately investigate the individual for any signs they are planning something. This of course would not have stopped much of the crimes planned over a longer period of time but its a start and something I think gun control advocate would be happy to have in place. Consider it a compromise of sorts.

The tax on ammo, something substantial like the cigarette tax, whatever amount it would be could be used for firearm violence victims and families to help pay for medical &therapy bills associated with gun violence (Gang violence excepted) and the extra cost of investigation and background checks.

I would also add another small tax on all firearm sales (yes, even private) that would go to these same causes.

I would also flag or track any sale of military gear (bulletproof gear, laser sights, etc..) and also add a small tax on them as well.

Fucking capitalism financing guns and that expensive fridge you've been wanting to buy

Any tracking of ammo would be useless. Do you need more than 500 rounds for a mass shooting? If you really did, youd wait a month.

Also why so much focus on mass shootings? The majority of gun deaths after suicides, are from handguns. Why focus on stopping a 50 death event when there are 5000 1-2 death events?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    There's nothing illegal about buying guns with a credit card, even a lot of guns.

So why would a credit card company do anything about it?
    On one hand they could report it to the relevant authorities, however that would violate unreasonable search and seizure (4rth Amendment) as I don't see how a bank would have enough probable cause to assume the buyer has bad intentions with the weapons.

The only way this information might be useful is after the fact when the suspect is known, or, in the rare case that there's an investigation into the perp's activities before his shooting spree.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Any tracking of ammo would be useless. Do you need more than 500 rounds for a mass shooting? If you really did, youd wait a month.

Also why so much focus on mass shootings? The majority of gun deaths after suicides, are from handguns. Why focus on stopping a 50 death event when there are 5000 1-2 death events?
    I agree, its small potatoes and there are ways around it. It does one major thing, it provides a starting point in the conversation where both sides can come to the table with something.

No, you dont need 500 rounds of ammo for a mass shooting. You dont need a 30 round magazine either yet they banned those. The media reports the thousands of rounds of ammo the person bought as if it was something that should have triggered someone. Ok well, lets make it a trigger event. So the FBI is notified about it. We still have "mass" shootings now what? Lets tax the ammo, lets do something that isnt going to take something as long and arduous as changing the constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    I agree, its small potatoes and there are ways around it. It does one major thing, it provides a starting point in the conversation where both sides can come to the table with something.

No, you dont need 500 rounds of ammo for a mass shooting. You dont need a 30 round magazine either yet they banned those. The media reports the thousands of rounds of ammo the person bought as if it was something that should have triggered someone. Ok well, lets make it a trigger event. So the FBI is notified about it. We still have "mass" shootings now what? Lets tax the ammo, lets do something that isnt going to take something as long and arduous as changing the constitution.
    I'm all for starting the convo and I usually agree with most of your points on here. I just wish they would stop making my life more burdensome with feel good legislation that doesnt stop what they are trying to stop. If something would actually work that only partially limited me, I'd be all for it but I just haven't seen it yet.

I bet they were all wearing shoes at the time of the shooting! WAKE UP SHEEPLE WE NEED TO BAN SHOES!