Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    No it really didn't
    Start the Broken Shore and we lose
    We then kick ass in every major zone
    Kil'jaeden sends a massive fleet to destroy Dalaran, we destroy it in 5 minutes
    we then attack Argus and face so little resistance it may as well have been a random Legion planet.
    I was more talking about huge losses.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Legion was a prime chance for this... let the legion win on Azeroth and the survivors flee to another planet found by the army of light... a several expac over-arching story could be the retaking of Azeroth but yeah... i don't see that happening at all.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Where the villain just kicks our asses at the beginning and we lose more and more people with the villain winning in a disappointing upset. The story isn’t fun if we know we’ll always succeed. Let’s kill off a roster of beloved characters by a newly beloved villain and finally know what it’s like to lose. To feel so desperately that we’re right yet to fail nonetheless.

Legion would’ve been perfected with how it started and had Guldan succeed in collecting the pillars of creation to summon Sargeras into Illidan or Azeroth and lose the titan. That would’ve been awesome.
    Are you willing to have your main snapped out at the end of the expansion? That's what made Infinity War great, the scale of the damage from the loss. WoW players aren't willing to sacrifice that much in the name of fun.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Technically that was the Lich King. He even killed us at the end. Only reason we beat him is cause Tirion deus ex machina'd himself out of that ice tomb.
    nothing technical about it...twas it indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by schmonz View Post
    I dont know how Blizzard ever wants to top Legion.

Even Sylvanas as Lich Queen will not top that.
    Legion sucked storywise. There was no sense of danger at all. We kicked their asses left and right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Where the villain just kicks our asses at the beginning and we lose more and more people with the villain winning in a disappointing upset. The story isn’t fun if we know we’ll always succeed. Let’s kill off a roster of beloved characters by a newly beloved villain and finally know what it’s like to lose. To feel so desperately that we’re right yet to fail nonetheless.

Legion would’ve been perfected with how it started and had Guldan succeed in collecting the pillars of creation to summon Sargeras into Illidan or Azeroth and lose the titan. That would’ve been awesome.
    I have seen this suggestion since wotlk, I don't think it will ever happen. It just seems Activision thinks letting the player succeed without any effort is the way forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Honestly the destroy fleet in 5 minutes was perhaps one of the worst things they could have done for 7.2 (Lore wise), especially when there was a large city just there. They could have had Dalaran destroyed and everyone evacuated to Suramar. Have the best mages from the world rebuild the shield for a temporary 1 patch measure with our dalaran hearthstones done in such a way we are able to get through them.
    Changing the main capital city mid-expansion would have been cool, it's sad how Activision always picks the easy way. I think the good old Blizzard would have done it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Nah, Legion was like "Ha Ha Ha, here we come!" for about 3 days at launch. Then the Legion just kinda hung out on the Broken Shore while we dealt with other threats for a few months... common complaint early in Legion was, "Where the hell is the Legion?"
    In a comment above, I was talking about the losses.

WoW doesn't really have a plot-insurance like Marvel with the Infinity Gauntlet.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

so the next expansion after that can be another AU where everyone ends up actually living? hmmmmmm no ty

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly i had hoped legion would end this way setting up for a warcraft 4(retaking azeroth) then wow 2 where we live in a reorigination machine reset azeroth.

I mean imagine having to run away maybe to au draenor and seek refuge until we can come back a few hundred years later ready to take back azeroth.

Would be badass.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    Thematically, nothing tops riding Deathwing. You're riding the back of a giant dragging, blowing off parts of his scales to crash him into a big magical vortex. You can't top that as a themed encounter unless you go to even more absurd levels.

You also can't top fighting Argus. There's just no way to outdo that shit. It's as big a bad as you're ever going to get, as forced and unsatisfying as it was. The Lich King felt like the be all and end all when you fought him and the encounter design was amazing as well. You can't top that as a fight in any real sense without getting very silly very fast. It's the problem shit like DBZ has after building up X villain, Y awesome powerup and Z power levels. How do you just stab a dude that can blow up planets with a sword?

That's the problem the setting has now. They escalated shit way too high and way too fast. We went from fighting big orcs to Archimonde, which is a fine step up. We went from fighting Gul'Daddy and some souped up Elves to fighting KJ again which is also fine, to fighting a titan on Argus with the help of the Pantheon. Come on now, how you gonna outdo that? How is the Lich King or Queen gonna compare with that? Azshara? They'd make great villains if we hadn't already killed Argus. Say what you want but the faction war is the most sensible thing they can push because at least the Horde and Alliance are just orcs vs humans or plants vs zombies. That's not as ridiculous as some of the other things in the game right now and at least they're not trying to just top Argus just yet.

It's a filler expansion in story, I don't think anyone argues against that, but what next though? Lich Queen or King time? The Void Lords show up? Illidan comes back possessed by a redeemed Sargeras to stop the Void Lords as he always intended? I wouldn't put it past Blizzard to redeem Sargeras but still say that alt Yrel is bad for stopping the orcs from being dicks on Draenor.
    Legion was the panic button expansion. It felt like the last expansion until we found out more about the Void Lords?
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

I'd very much so rather not have wow be like Infinity war.
    You really think all those characters are gonna stay dead?

Have you even read the comics? Have you even seen any Disney movies? They'll all come back.

Infinity war is one of the worst arcs ever. People revere it because people die and the power Thanos has is OP. Other than that, it's nothing more than a "WHOA EVERYONE DIES! BUT WAIT! What's that?? Someone reversed Thanos's actions to bring everybody back?? SIKE YOU THOUGHT WE KILLED EVERYONE!"

Shit's basic as fuck.

Blizz cant write a satisfying storyline full of surprise, joy and despair to save there lifes.

The last time they could do that it was Warcraft 3 and they still havent been able to successfully replicate it even in WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    I'd very much so rather not have wow be like Infinity war.
    You really think all those characters are gonna stay dead?

Have you even read the comics? Have you even seen any Disney movies? They'll all come back.

Infinity war is one of the worst arcs ever. People revere it because people die and the power Thanos has is OP. Other than that, it's nothing more than a "WHOA EVERYONE DIES! BUT WAIT! What's that?? Someone reversed Thanos's actions to bring everybody back?? SIKE YOU THOUGHT WE KILLED EVERYONE!"

Shit's basic as fuck.
    When people write it down like that then yes it is basic as fuck but what sold it was the performances and the fact we care about whats going on.

Of course they are all gonna come back just like i knew Luke was gonna blow up the death star but thats not the point of movies its the way actors sell it us to make us turn our logical parts of our brains off and enjoy the ride which i did immensely in Infinity War.

The same can be done in WoW because there is no such thing as a 'new story' but its the way you can tell them that can be new and exciting and quite frankly blizz has been failing in that department In my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rab Lerowsa View Post
    Blizz cant write a satisfying storyline full of surprise, joy and despair to save there lifes.

The last time they could do that it was Warcraft 3 and they still havent been able to successfully replicate it even in WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

When people write it down like that then yes it is basic as fuck but what sold it was the performances and the fact we care about whats going on.

Of course they are all gonna come back just like i knew Luke was gonna blow up the death star but thats not the point of movies its the way actors sell it us to make us turn our logical parts of our brains off and enjoy the ride which i did immensely in Infinity War.

The same can be done in WoW because there is no such thing as a 'new story' but its the way you can tell them that can be new and exciting and quite frankly blizz has been failing in that department In my humble opinion.
    The actors are the only redeeming factor, yes.

But for those who would like to watch something with a story? What's the point?

But my point here was our OP talking about how blizz should make wow's story like Infinity War lmao. Just pointing out wow would have no story. With no redeeming factors, as there are no actors to come in and save the day.

Blizz has been doing new and exciting stuff. They've been changing the world of Azeroth, something that's been known for how static and unchanged it used to be.

Blizz has uncovered mysteries that's been plagueing us since WCIII.

To say they aren't doing new things is a bit silly.

Hell, they're even putting out extra high quality cinematics to further the plot.
    Last edited by Stardrift; 2018-12-27 at 02:20 AM.

Honestly, I would love an "infinity war" expansion where the big bad is known from the get go and everything from questing to dungeons to raids ends with a small win but with big losses between. an example is a dungeon where we try to sabotage a factory or storage unit but fail but find something useful there. I hate how everything now is we're all doomed and two seconds later I've managed to wipe out piles of enemies and some named enemies. Give us suspense where we think we're winning but then the rug is pulled!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    But then again, in the story, we're pretty brutal murder machines and not really "strategical assets". Just send us in and we'll murder everything in our way!
    So I guess the solution here is simple - we'll murder everyone.

Who knows, maybe the battle with the big bad void lords in the (most likely) next xpac could lead to just this.

The void could tear across parts of Azeroth and shroud it in darkness, destroying cities and landscapes and basically killing/neutralizing everything in its path. Places known for their connections to the light, like Lights Hope, could be used as a base/hub for surviving champions and leaders.

We defeated manifestations of some of the old gods, but not them at their prime, in their prime, being ordered by the Void Lords, with some heavy involvement of the Void Lords should be when Azeroth faces its "Infinity War" moment, facing the Big Bad of the universe, the ultimate enemy.

Compared to ancient cosmic "monstrous entities composed of pure shadow energy who dwell within the Void, outside the borders of reality. Merciless and cruel beyond imagination", we as mere mortals, shouldn't be able to fend off any significant force, or the Void Lords themselves, that they muster against us. This don't forget, is the whole reason Sargeras and the burning legion came to Azeroth to snort a big ole line of Azeroth world engine juju to make themselves strong enough to take on the Void. We didn't defeat Sargeras, the pantheon just decided enough was enough and yanked his ass back through space. If we cant defeat a planet sized Sargeras, what hope do we have against the Void?

But hey, you know what will almost definitely happen, the Void might batter us abit, like the Broken shore, but we will inevitably pull off some next level, Chuck Norris style craziness and banish/defeat the Void once and for all, because that's how we roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Honestly the destroy fleet in 5 minutes was perhaps one of the worst things they could have done for 7.2 (Lore wise), especially when there was a large city just there. They could have had Dalaran destroyed and everyone evacuated to Suramar. Have the best mages from the world rebuild the shield for a temporary 1 patch measure with our dalaran hearthstones done in such a way we are able to get through them.
    *Massive space fleet arrives*
    "burn it...to ash!"
    *5 minutes later*
    "Alright we have stopped the Legion assault and are pushing into the Broken Shore, for Azeroth!"
    Blizzard don't story.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    *Massive space fleet arrives*
    "burn it...to ash!"
    *5 minutes later*
    "Alright we have stopped the Legion assault and are pushing into the Broken Shore, for Azeroth!"
    Blizzard don't story.
    It kinda would have made sense if something happened in the universe and the Legion suddenly had to pull back and face it. Kinda like the Mongol horde that conquered all of northern Asia and swept into Europe basically unopposed and should have in almost any scenario just conquered all of Europe and turned into into a Mongol colony but turned back at the last second because the leader died back home.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Blizzard devs come right up to the cusp of this with legion and wotlk, but they don't have the balls to actually commit to it.

Which is unfortunate.

If I was writing Legion, I'd probably have the Legion raze capital cities, claim large swaths of territory, and the natural response would be a mass exodus to Outland in response. This would lead into a massive zone revamp of Outland representing the mass numbers of Azeroth refugees settling there. The raids and 5 mans would all be about slowing the advance of the Legion just long enough to allow the refugees to escape. Then maybe something happens to turn the tide of the war and we defeat them later, but this way you give Legion lots of cred and actually make use of Outland for once.

Of course, you could just replace the Legion with a resurgent Black Empire led by N'Zoth or replace it with Dimensius and the Void and do a future expac this way. If I HAD to select one event for this plotline I'd pick Dimensius and the Void because he already made an attempt on Outland once in Netherstorm so it brings the story full circle with Dimensius hitting Azeroth and refugees fleeing to place he tried to hit. Maybe they could use Netherstorm to learn more about their foes and how to beat them.

Its also a flip of the original plot of Warcraft I where invaders from Draenor came thru the portal to Azeroth. Now I'm turning that backwards and its all of Azeroth coming thru the portal to Outland.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2018-12-27 at 05:51 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    WoD was terrible, it turned Gul'Dan, who was a badass in original Warcraft I and II, into a silly, "Hahaha, I escaped again!" comic villain. Everything he did failed, he just kept escaping until we finally caught him in Nighthold, where he was the first tier end boss. A sad devolution for one of the best villains Warcraft had.
    He did kill three faction leaders, corrupted a warden and most of the Iron Horde, activated the tomb of Sargeras. Yeah, he failed ultimately, but name a WoW villain that achieved more than him? Arthas...killed Saurfang's son and raised him as a death knight. Illidan...um...I still don't know why he was considered a big threat. Deathwing reforged a bunch of zones, but I don't recall him succeeding much more, and we actually gained more NPCs with the Ancients' return under his watch. Garrosh couldn't even succeed in killing Anduin when he was pinned under a giant bell.

I think that Blizzard COULD make a really great villain experience, but considering that the most accomplished of any of their villains was, as you put it, a comic villain, I don't have high hopes for it.