15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    That case screams for a 360 rad in the front
    I thought about it, but then I'd want to go open loop and my wife would murder me for the time/money I'd put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    I thought about it, but then I'd want to go open loop and my wife would murder me for the time/money I'd put into it.
    Yeah they never get happy, when you spendt money on the Computer
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

I finally built a new PC for xmas to replace my old 5820k system. While I thought about doing some hardline water cooling, I decided that is for next time. I wanted to use this Cricut and at least add something interesting to it. So added some runes from the frostmourne weapon from WOW and found a mini one to add to the case. Overall, pretty happy with it, just need to change out this 1070 with new GPU with some fan lighting or something.

Here is how my desk setup is, ignore the random odd items in the background. :P

Quote Originally Posted by dirtlits View Post
    I finally built a new PC for xmas to replace my old 5820k system.
    What specs and how's the performance compare?

Overall I didn't expect massive differences to be honest, I was just having issues keeping a stable OC (random lockup issues every so often) on my 5820k even when it was stayin cool. Was fine before at 4.6 then 4.2 but was fine at 4.0.

Was running:

5820k oc'ed 4.0 / 16g DDR4 Gskill 2100 ram / asrock X99 board / Crucial 500gb SSD / GTX 1070

Upgraded to:

9700k @ 4.9 / 16g DDR4 Gskill Trident 3200 ram / asrock Z390 Taichi ultimate / 970 pro m.2 500g SSD / GTX 1070

There is performance increases for sure. Load time are way faster (to be expected) and more stable 120 FPS with Gsync (2560x1440 @ 120hz).

Most games run more than stable/solid at 120 fps with G-sync

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of open loop, I'm considering replacing my AiO with one, but holy shit is it expensive.. Looking at EK it's like 400 for an aluminium loop with the parts I want (but their GPU blocks are only for the 1000 series I believe), or 800 for copper, and then I'd get a GPU block that actually fits..

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Speaking of open loop, I'm considering replacing my AiO with one, but holy shit is it expensive.. Looking at EK it's like 400 for an aluminium loop with the parts I want (but their GPU blocks are only for the 1000 series I believe), or 800 for copper, and then I'd get a GPU block that actually fits..
    I have been looking more and more after the XSPC RAYSTORM D5 PHOTON RX360 V3 WATERCOOLING KIT. It looks amazing and the cooling on it, is top of the line.

And i don't have to buy all the parts myself and fuck up on parts and it cost 400€ here and the CPU block is copper
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'd end up going way over my own head and trying a rigid-tube build with CPU and GPU blocks.

I've been looking at AiOs and I don't think I'd have enough gains against my current setup to justify the cost. I was looking at the EVGA CLC 280. It seemed that it performed as good as or better than some 360s at lower cost. I just don't think the cooling would be that much better than the large triple fan setup that I have now. It would also be louder. The setup I have is 2 fans topping out at 28 dBA and one topping out at 26.5 dBA, which at maximum should be around 32.3 dBA together. The CLC 280 at max was tested by Gamers Nexus at 56.9 dBA. That's a huge increase in noise.

On a separate note, I ordered my delid kit today. So, next weekend will be a big event in my home, I guess.

Overall I didn't expect massive differences to be honest, I was just having issues keeping a stable OC (random lockup issues every so often) on my 5820k even when it was stayin cool. Was fine before at 4.6 then 4.2 but was fine at 4.0.

Was running:

5820k oc'ed 4.0 / 16g DDR4 Gskill 2100 ram / asrock X99 board / Crucial 500gb SSD / GTX 1070

Upgraded to:

9700k @ 4.9 / 16g DDR4 Gskill Trident 3200 ram / asrock Z390 Taichi ultimate / 970 pro m.2 500g SSD / GTX 1070

There is performance increases for sure. Load time are way faster (to be expected) and more stable 120 FPS with Gsync (2560x1440 @ 120hz).

That's awesome to hear. I have a similar setup with a 1080, but OCd the CPU to 4.3 stable. I'm on the fence between the 9900k or 2700x but may wait until the new AMD chips come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    That's awesome to hear. I have a similar setup with a 1080, but OCd the CPU to 4.3 stable. I'm on the fence between the 9900k or 2700x but may wait until the new AMD chips come out.
    TLDR: on the new setup with 1440 @ 120 with Gsync seems way more consistent with FPS, higher sustained FPS and overall snappier and noticeably smoother. 5820K to the 9700k was improvement, but since i was having CPU issues (not stable above 4.0 anymore) I had to upgrade the CPU/mobo/ram anyway. : )

More detail: For me, I generally play wow (some other games on occasion) but I can say I have noticed a difference in the stability. Wow is horribly optimized as we all know, but I run a ROG Swift 27" 1440 @ 120 (sometimes 144). Before it would range around 90-120 and in some cities i would notice some lower fps, but nothing too bad.

What i can say is with the 1070 I still use, I have everything on 7 and it for the most part stays at 120 solid regardless of the area. I can set to ultra and stay 80 or so, but bet raids would drop it. I did the ivus world boss with 25 others and dipped at the worst to around 87. With G-Sync was still smooth, but that should give you an example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'd end up going way over my own head and trying a rigid-tube build with CPU and GPU blocks.

I've been looking at AiOs and I don't think I'd have enough gains against my current setup to justify the cost. I was looking at the EVGA CLC 280. It seemed that it performed as good as or better than some 360s at lower cost. I just don't think the cooling would be that much better than the large triple fan setup that I have now. It would also be louder. The setup I have is 2 fans topping out at 28 dBA and one topping out at 26.5 dBA, which at maximum should be around 32.3 dBA together. The CLC 280 at max was tested by Gamers Nexus at 56.9 dBA. That's a huge increase in noise.

On a separate note, I ordered my delid kit today. So, next weekend will be a big event in my home, I guess.
    I mean, the EVGA CLC isn't made to be quiet. The Corsair H series are quieter. I'm running a 150i pro atm, and while it is kinda loud at full load, it's not something I notice while gaming, and it's not noticeable at all under idle.
    I have been looking more and more after the XSPC RAYSTORM D5 PHOTON RX360 V3 WATERCOOLING KIT. It looks amazing and the cooling on it, is top of the line.

And i don't have to buy all the parts myself and fuck up on parts and it cost 400€ here and the CPU block is copper
    And if I get the similar stuff from EK, it'll be 500€ ish.
    The current loop I'm planning is CPU+GPU under water, with 360+240mm rads.
    Probably don't want any RGB components because I hate fun

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean, the EVGA CLC isn't made to be quiet. The Corsair H series are quieter. I'm running a 150i pro atm, and while it is kinda loud at full load, it's not something I notice while gaming, and it's not noticeable at all under idle.
    Yeah, I was just saying that I'm not sure the extra noise and cost from either would be worth the minimal gains in cooling. At this point, high-end air and AiOs are really close.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I was just saying that I'm not sure the extra noise and cost from either would be worth the minimal gains in cooling. At this point, high-end air and AiOs are really close.
    Yeah, true. I only went with an AiO because I think it looks better than a big tower..

And if I get the similar stuff from EK, it'll be 500€ ish.
    The current loop I'm planning is CPU+GPU under water, with 360+240mm rads.
    Probably don't want any RGB components because I hate fun
    The 360 rad from the RAYSTORM kit is more then enough to cool both CPU and GPU. You don't really need the 240 rad, unless it's for the looks.

Right now im sticking to my AIO, I still have bad feelings about building a costum loop and all the fuck ups you can make

10+ Year Old Account
    The 360 rad from the RAYSTORM kit is more then enough to cool both CPU and GPU. You don't really need the 240 rad, unless it's for the looks.

Right now im sticking to my AIO, I still have bad feelings about building a costum loop and all the fuck ups you can make
    I mean, half the reason I'm going with a custom loop is for the looks

I mean, half the reason I'm going with a custom loop is for the looks
    And one 360 rad will allso look good and save you some money

10+ Year Old Account
    And one 360 rad will allso look good and save you some money
    Yeah, like, 100 euro. If I'm going to spend 700, I might as well spend 800.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I grabbed some shots of my new setup. I need to do a better job with the cables for the rear exhaust fan and then I need to better hide the front panel cables, even though they're completely behind. I'm not sure that I have any options on the heatsink fan cables at the top, either.

I finally built a new PC for xmas to replace my old 5820k system. While I thought about doing some hardline water cooling, I decided that is for next time. I wanted to use this Cricut and at least add something interesting to it. So added some runes from the frostmourne weapon from WOW and found a mini one to add to the case. Overall, pretty happy with it, just need to change out this 1070 with new GPU with some fan lighting or something.

Here is how my desk setup is, ignore the random odd items in the background. :P
    These are both killer setups! @Cilraaz, clean it up and get a rad in there, say fuggit and have some fun. Don't be like me with my old HAF X from back in the day.
    @dirtlits I love the tasteful art in your computer. While I'm really not happy with WoW right now, I still can appreciate the art and such. Where did you get the mini Frostmourne?

- - - Updated - - -

Was running:

Upgraded to:

How much of the upgrade in speed do you think is thanks to upgrading to an NVMe vs the CPU upgrade? I'm still running the 5820k@4.1GHz, but recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my old but still fast 950 Pro 256GB NVMe drive. Granted I mainly play Path of Exile, but I love my rig as it is, but I could see an upgrade maybe within the next year. I really want to stay on HEDT platform though, maybe go for the mid-tier 5930k equivalent, if you know what I mean. 5820k was the lowest, then 5930k, then 5960x, I want a decent mid-tier with more PCI-E lanes for potentially more NVMe drives etc.

We'll seeeeee

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Beautiful pictures
    Incredibly beautiful! Well done! Wish I could keep my area that clean. Also, thought my desk was big... now it's looking kinda small. lol
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Yeah, like, 100 euro. If I'm going to spend 700, I might as well spend 800.
    My GF would kill me if i spendt 700-800€ on a costum loop. It would be the sofa for half a year lol