15+ Year Old Account

Intel Core i5-9600K heat question + case and mobo advice

Hey there.

So within the next coming months I'm planning to build a new gaming PC, pretty much from scratch. I decided to go with the Intel Core i5-9600K CPU, however, when picking a (pretty cheap) case, it warned me that I should get extra case fans because the CPU I'd chosen runs hot.

So my questions are:

- does the Intel Core i5-9600K run specifically hotter than previous gen CPU's?
    - should I fork out for a more expensive case? I'd picked some 50 euro Cooler Master case. If so, which case do you advise?

And lastly, on pcpartpicker, when choosing a Z370 motherboard, I get the following warning:
    Some Intel Z370 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
    - Should I get a Z390 motherboard? If so, which motherboard do you advise? (something not too expensive). I plan to stick a RTX 2070 in there so it needs enough space for that.

I haven't included budget information etc because I really only need advice on the case and motherboard, but if need be I can.

And as you can see on the left, I live in Belgium, but if you link a motherboard on newegg or whatever I can just check the prices here in Belgium, it'll be a bit more expensive but it's not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

I would spend a bit more and get a good Fractal, Phanteks or NZXT Tower for 30-40€ more.
    Like:

Temps are also not a big problem for the 9600k just get a good aircooler like the Dark Rock Pro 4 and you should easy get to 5.0 Ghz.
    A cheap Z370 and Z390 Mainboard cost around 100-120€ so you can pick a Z390.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, thanks for the advice! When I've chosen all the parts I'll make a new topic or post it here just to go over what I've chosen etc to make sure I've not picked something stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

So, this is what I've come up with:

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/KcX8kd

I'll be using 2 SSD's from my current PC, as well as keyboard, mouse etc. Other than that, can any one see anything wrong with what I've picked?

Just for info, this year (probably around June) I plan to buy a gaming monitor... I'm clueless when it comes to monitors, but I believe they're 144Hz? Anyway, that's for another time.

"Gaming" monitors can be any monitor, it's usually just a tag they put on so they can increase the price - 144hz is just the refresh rate. Obviously for gaming higher is better, if your system can put out the framerate anyway.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2019-01-02 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Ok, thanks for the advice! When I've chosen all the parts I'll make a new topic or post it here just to go over what I've chosen etc to make sure I've not picked something stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

So, this is what I've come up with:

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/KcX8kd

I'll be using 2 SSD's from my current PC, as well as keyboard, mouse etc. Other than that, can any one see anything wrong with what I've picked?

Just for info, this year (probably around June) I plan to buy a gaming monitor... I'm clueless when it comes to monitors, but I believe they're 144Hz? Anyway, that's for another time.
    Pick 3000Mhz Ram it cost near the same 1-2€ difference most of the time.
    Also the GPU isnt that good with a Singel Fan.
    For a Monitor it depends on what you want.
    I also would go for a Seasonic or EVGA Modular PSU.

10+ Year Old Account
    -snip-
    Personally, I would change a few things in that build.

Took German prices so I was able to compare:
    Your build roughly cost 1710 euro in Germany. This one would roughly cost 1590 euro.
    The parts are not worse. Actually, to some degree, they are far superior. Seasonic is generally accepted as very good PSU's. The Z370 Gaming motherboards are expensive as all hell, and a Z390 Elite, while has less features, it is cheaper and you don't have to flash your bios with an older CPU to get it to work (sometimes they are flashed already).
    While Intel builds are not hungry for fast RAM, the LPX series is slightly better than the Aegis series and around the same price. Also, these RAM are faster you will see a tiny difference well worth the extra 10 euro. Lastly, no reason to go with windows 10 pro unless you really want those extra features it offer.
    Did not change the GPU, case, CPU or cooling since it looks like stuff you really want.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (€275.89 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler (€72.89 @ Aquatuning)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€189.90 @ Caseking)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€129.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€58.77 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card (€567.74 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case (€90.89 @ Alternate)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€91.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (€110.89 @ Alternate)
    Total: €1588.86
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-02 21:41 CET+0100
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2019-01-02 at 08:53 PM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    "Gaming" monitors can be any monitor, it's usually just a tag they put on so they can increase the price - 144hz is just the refresh rate. Obviously for gaming higher is better, if your system can put out the framerate anyway.
    Ok, thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Pick 3000Mhz Ram it cost near the same 1-2€ difference most of the time.
    Also the GPU isnt that good with a Singel Fan.
    For a Monitor it depends on what you want.
    I also would go for a Seasonic or EVGA Modular PSU.
    When I picked 3000Mhz it said the CPU would slow it down to 2666... which I found odd. Is this not the case? (the site im actually buying the stuff from is alternate.be, which gave this warning)
    I'll check for another GPU.
    Also I'll check for another PSU then. Be back in a bit with update!
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2019-01-02 at 08:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, thanks for the info!

When I picked 3000Mhz it said the CPU would slow it down to 2666... which I found odd. Is this not the case? (the site im actually buying the stuff from is alternate.be, which gave this warning)
    I'll check for another GPU.
    Also I'll check for another PSU then. Be back in a bit with update!
    For the RAM: It'll be 2666 by default, but if you go into the BIOS you can enable XMP and it'll run at the 3000MHz speed you paid for.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    You simply don't need a 9600K or Intel CPU for an RTX 2070 which should be around a GTX1080, even for 1080p. Intel CPUs are super niche these days:

- for Premiere, because of the iGPU acceleration
    - for Blender and maybe a few other apps
    - for high refresh gaming with a high end GPU. For example, at Ultra settings, RTX 2080/1080ti@1080p, and 2080ti and above for 1440p, in general you want an Intel.
    - for OC enthusiasts since Ryzens are boring in this aspect

For mid/low end cards there's basically no need whatsoever to go Intel - unless you play something like WoW, which depends on mostly one core, wants extremely high frequency, and is badly optimized.

IMO 6 cores, no HT is a VERY bad proposition in 2019. Ryzen 3000 come out in 1-2 weeks, and the rumors are madly insane, 8-16 cores, 16-32 threads, up to 5GHz boost, 7nm, and good pricing. Intel has nothing to compete with those yet, IF (!!!) they turn out to be true.

So I'd wait a month or so, do NOT buy this now. If you get a Ryzen 3000 with 8 cores/16 threads for example and can OC to 4.8GHz you'll have near 9900K performance at much lower price.

And for your 2070, even a 2700x would do just fine in 90% of the cases.

TL;DR: I'd avoid buying anything for a while, especially low core/no HT Intels. And before the hate comes pouring calling me AMD shill or whatever dumb crap, I am a happy owner of a 8700K/1070ti combo, so no AMD. Would I buy it today? Nope. But one year ago, it made sense vs the Ryzen 1700, and AMD had nothing in the GPU department back then, besides 1000USD Vega 56s.

You can also run that RAM at advertised speeds. 2666 is stock for Z370-390, but coupled with quality RAM, most motherboards can do 4000MHz.
    Ok, thank you for the detailed advice. I'll wait with buying anything until more is known about the Ryzen 3000. I did have an edited list, which I'll paste anyway: https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/M2FvFt - but yeah, I wont get this and shall wait!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    For the RAM: It'll be 2666 by default, but if you go into the BIOS you can enable XMP and it'll run at the 3000MHz speed you paid for.
    Aha, okay. Thanks! The website doesn't seem to be giving me the warning any more now, lol.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2019-01-02 at 09:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Belgium is generally horrendous when it comes to hardware prices. I've not checked prices in the Netherlands where I could probably get all the parts too, it's probably cheaper there.

Thanks for your very detailed advice @CryotriX !

10+ Year Old Account
    A 9600K at nearly 300€ is absolutely horrendous value in every way. It's the same price as a Ryzen 7.

6 threads vs 16 threads.

If all you ever do is play old games with minimal or zero multithread support at low resolutions (1080p and lower) then maybe there's some tiny justification for it, but I still wouldn't buy it at that price.

Also as has been said, wait a few days until we know what happens at CES.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah as I said, Belgium is horrendous when it comes to hardware prices FML. When the time comes, I'll check the Netherlands or Germany, might be able to get hardware cheaper there.