Add Susan Collins; cracks appear in GOP opposition

Two Senate Republicans broke with Trump and party leaders Thursday, saying it was time to end the shutdown even if Democrats would not sign off on the more than $5 billion in border funding Trump is demanding.

Collins indicated support for an element of the Democrats’ approach, which is to advance a package of spending bills already approved in the Senate that would re-open the bulk of the government, while setting aside the fight over the wall in a separate piece of legislation.
    “I’m not saying their whole plan is a valid plan, but I see no reason why the bills that are ready to go and on which we’ve achieved an agreement should be held hostage to this debate over border security,” said Collins, who is a senior member of the Appropriations Committee.

- - - Updated - - -

And even more cracks are showing

Sen. Shelly Moore Capito (R-W.Va.) on Thursday said she wants the government shutdown to end as soon as possible.

"I'd like to see it stop," she said, indicating that she might back moving the six non-controversial funding bills separately "if that's what it takes" to minimize the impact of the standoff.

Capito, however, would prefer moving all seven stalled funding bills together, including the one she crafted as chairwoman of the Senate Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee.

She has argued for moving that bill, which includes $1.6 billion for border fencing and which most Democrats on the Appropriations Committee voted for in June, along with the others.

"That's the strategy I've been advocating. Let the bill that passed the Senate [Appropriations Committee] be the default bill on the Senate floor and we may end up there," she said.

Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.) said "nobody likes CRs," referring to continuing resolutions to temporarily fund the government, "but shutting down the government is a bigger mistake than a CR."

Rounds said he would support a stopgap measure that includes "some kind of an agreement that there's some funding" that Trump could claim as a partial victory on border security.

"I just think not having the government open is the wrong message to send to the people of this country. It says we can't do our jobs. It says we're not working with people that may have a differing point of view," he said.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Add Susan Collins; cracks appear in GOP opposition

Two Senate Republicans broke with Trump and party leaders Thursday, saying it was time to end the shutdown even if Democrats would not sign off on the more than $5 billion in border funding Trump is demanding.

Collins indicated support for an element of the Democrats’ approach, which is to advance a package of spending bills already approved in the Senate that would re-open the bulk of the government, while setting aside the fight over the wall in a separate piece of legislation.
    “I’m not saying their whole plan is a valid plan, but I see no reason why the bills that are ready to go and on which we’ve achieved an agreement should be held hostage to this debate over border security,” said Collins, who is a senior member of the Appropriations Committee.

- - - Updated - - -

And even more cracks are showing

Sen. Shelly Moore Capito (R-W.Va.) on Thursday said she wants the government shutdown to end as soon as possible.

"I'd like to see it stop," she said, indicating that she might back moving the six non-controversial funding bills separately "if that's what it takes" to minimize the impact of the standoff.

Capito, however, would prefer moving all seven stalled funding bills together, including the one she crafted as chairwoman of the Senate Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee.

She has argued for moving that bill, which includes $1.6 billion for border fencing and which most Democrats on the Appropriations Committee voted for in June, along with the others.

"That's the strategy I've been advocating. Let the bill that passed the Senate [Appropriations Committee] be the default bill on the Senate floor and we may end up there," she said.

Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.) said "nobody likes CRs," referring to continuing resolutions to temporarily fund the government, "but shutting down the government is a bigger mistake than a CR."

Rounds said he would support a stopgap measure that includes "some kind of an agreement that there's some funding" that Trump could claim as a partial victory on border security.

"I just think not having the government open is the wrong message to send to the people of this country. It says we can't do our jobs. It says we're not working with people that may have a differing point of view," he said.
    Fantastic. At this rate the Dems can remove every ounce of wall spending (while maintaining the upkeep portion of the current structure in place) and the GOP will just have to sit there and swallow it.

Trump is becoming more and more useless the to GOP, with each passing day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Republicans internal polling on this must be awful for them to be breaking with Trump this quickly after Democrats took official control of the House.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Republicans internal polling on this must be awful for them to be breaking with Trump this quickly after Democrats took official control of the House.
    Or they know what the House might find on Trump and they want to start distancing themselves from them now before it hits. At which point, if they knew about it and stood by this long, they deserve charges themselves anyways along with everything they pushed and blocked looked into.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    When did this happen? Last I saw Mitch doubled down? Was this after Trump’s speech with the skinheads? Just bald, not racists... it’s just easiest to describe the speech...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    When did this happen? Last I saw Mitch doubled down? Was this after Trump’s speech with the skinheads? Just bald, not racists... it’s just easiest to describe the speech...
    At least three GOP Senators have publicly broken with "Wall or Bust", saying they would prefer the CR's to be passed, and then address the wall funding in future legislation.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. I would love to see those numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    At least three GOP Senators have publicly broken with "Wall or Bust", saying they would prefer the CR's to be passed, and then address the wall funding in future legislation.
    How many do they need in senate to drop it on Trump’s lap? 6?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

14, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    And the break in the ranks begins.
    The next Presidency will be Democratic. It will also coincidence with another cyclical recession, some who are in the business of forecasting say this one will be more severe, considering what a weak growth this has been and the massive inequality that has been creeping up for decades now.

If Democrats play their cards right, they might get 21st century New Deal through.
    But that depends on how they do in 2022 elections, if the Republicans manage to clean and reform the party from the Trump elements, they'll take it and that Presidency will be in effect a failed one.

Not that surprising from them
    Last edited by bagelmanman; 2019-01-05 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelmanman View Post
    Hey heyy heyyy... goooodd byeeeeee. Psycho leftist.
    Yeah, he isn't psycho at all. But thanks for the useless post.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    This post has got to be intentional propaganda dreamed up in a 4chan dumpster fire.
    nice try to avoid my question

can you give me one link where trump sayd something racist himself (not from a third person who hates him claiming he sayd so without proof)
    seems like you can't to me

Collins and Gardner are from purple states, it's no surprise they want to keep their butts covered. The South Dakota guy surprised me, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    The next Presidency will be Democratic. It will also coincidence with another cyclical recession, some who are in the business of forecasting say this one will be more severe, considering what a weak growth this has been and the massive inequality that has been creeping up for decades now.

If Democrats play their cards right, they might get 21st century New Deal through.
    But that depends on how they do in 2022 elections, if the Republicans manage to clean and reform the party from the Trump elements, they'll take it and that Presidency will be in effect a failed one.
    When Reagan was the head of the GOP, democrats hated him. Then Gingrich became the head of the GOP and he was worse. Then Bush43 became the head of the GOP and they called him much worse and a war criminal. Now Trump is the head of the GOP and democrats say he's even worse yet.

The GOP isn't going to move away from Trump. History shows it will keep moving further and further to the right. The next GOP president will make democrats wish Trump was still in the white house.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by aenigma1 View Post
    nice try to avoid my question

can you give me one link where trump sayd something racist himself (not from a third person who hates him claiming he sayd so without proof)
    seems like you can't to me
    No one is playing that game today. Try harder.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    They only need 4 to turn sides and vote in favor of the legislation. However, McConnell is the real problem. If he doesn't have the votes he wants, he won't bring it to the floor for consideration.

Nancy Pelosi: "A wall is an immorality. It's not who we are as a nation. And this is not a wall between Mexico and the United States that the president is creating here. It's a wall between reality and his constituents." Via CBS. https://t.co/cc4949UnHA
    https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...285628929?s=19

Stop!

I know you can't speak to a trumpkin rationally about the wall, but trying to persuade people on their humanity is not going to work.

Just keep saying until Mexico is going to pay for it; NO.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Collins and Gardner are from purple states, it's no surprise they want to keep their butts covered. The South Dakota guy surprised me, though.
    Collins died politically when she voted for the Sexual Assaulter. The fact that she's already backing away from the wall is just convenient more than anything else. Gardner I agree with. And yeah, the SD guy doing it is interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    When Reagan was the head of the GOP, democrats hated him. Then Gingrich became the head of the GOP and he was worse. Then Bush43 became the head of the GOP and they called him much worse and a war criminal. Now Trump is the head of the GOP and democrats say he's even worse yet.

The GOP isn't going to move away from Trump. History shows it will keep moving further and further to the right. The next GOP president will make democrats wish Trump was still in the white house.
    I agree that the GOP has only gotten worse - we all thought Bush2 was the devil - and he was awful - but now that we just how bad it can get, I think we've all learned the lesson. I disagree, however, that the next GOP president will be as bad as Trump. They hit rock bottom with him, a horror of a man with barely a shell of a personality. Criminal and con man and liar through and through. And the GOP will pay dearly for their mistake.

I think the GOP will crumble when the fallout settles and they will have to reinvent themselves.

It's day 13 of Trump's US Government Shutdown because he can't get Mexico to Pay for the Wall.

You're no closer to getting your fucking wall, Trumphadis. In fact, Republicans in the Senate are starting to waffle.

You're losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    It's day 13 of Trump's US Government Shutdown because he can't get Mexico to Pay for the Wall.

You're no closer to getting your fucking wall, Trumphadis. In fact, Republicans in the Senate are starting to waffle.

You're losing.
    Day 13 of the Schumer Shutdown. Pretty sad to see the Democrats continuing to be so childish and immature in their hatred of Trump. They care more about destroying the USA than they do about securing the USA.