10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Did two weeks of training at this one IT job and then got offered another job that would pay a bit more and would be closer, so I'd, in theory, be making more by not driving as far and going through quite as many tolls. (First place was literally $15/day just to drive round-trip.)

Hoping my background check goes through by this Friday so that I can start the new position on Monday, which is much more direct and broad IT support than the first job, which was more support for a specific, large piece of coin and currency recycling hardware.
    Good luck on the background check.

If you end up buying the PG27UQ lemme know your thoughts on it, I sold all my monitors since I'm moving permanently to Denmark next month.
    Last edited by inux94; 2019-01-03 at 03:51 PM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Are there any benefits to using a TV as monitor? Aren't they all slower in both latency and refresh rates?

Also, inux, moving to main land or islands?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Are there any benefits to using a TV as monitor? Aren't they all slower in both latency and refresh rates?

Also, inux, moving to main land or islands?
    I had a 42" TV as a monitor in... 2011-12ish? Latency was terrible but I was a kid so I didn't really care that much for it.

Moving to Jylland in february, got a nice gig as a Cloud Network Engineer over there.

I want to go to Sweden for Dreamhack again, but I'm a little afraid I'm too old for that now and it's just going to be forknife people everywhere.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    *hiss*

I don't want a TV!

Remember that I use the monitor for photo editing.
    High-end TVs are more accurate than most monitors, they usually also cover more of DCI-P3 and can give you much more colour volume since they're WAY brighter.
    And if you really want to reach almost perfection when it comes to colour accuracy you can easily calibrate them.

It's way easier to buy a good TV than it is to buy a good monitor, monitors only really reach what current TVs can give you once you're calling Eizo/Sony for professional grade monitors that are way too expensive for you to even consider. In the meanwhile, you can walk in any random electronics store and walk out with an E8/C8/B8 or a Q8FN.

- - - Updated - - -

All high-end TVs are 120Hz, and on their PC/Gaming mode they usually have reasonably low input lag. You can't run UHD@120Hz@4:4:4 due to input limitations, but that won't be a problem once we have HDMI 2.1. Also, some manufacturers started to include Freesync on their TVs too since the Xbox can benefit from it.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2019-01-03 at 09:31 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Good luck on the background check.

If you end up buying the PG27UQ lemme know your thoughts on it, I sold all my monitors since I'm moving permanently to Denmark next month.
    haha thanks! I've passed a billion background checks though, so it's all just a dumb waiting game for THIS one to clear. Pleeeeeease clear nao.

Congrats on that! And long time no see! Good to see ya, what are you doing nowadays?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    You should spend 20k for the CG3145.

10+ Year Old Account
    haha thanks! I've passed a billion background checks though, so it's all just a dumb waiting game for THIS one to clear. Pleeeeeease clear nao.

Congrats on that! And long time no see! Good to see ya, what are you doing nowadays?
    Yeah it's been a while.

I guess... I fell into the adult trap? Got a full time job in IT and volunteered at at animal shelter - along with starting a local environmental and climate community in my town. Ended up becoming a board member at the job and shelter. Got diagnosed stress/sick leave because of all the stuff I had going on. I felt like I didn't have enough productive hours every single day and ended up getting 4-5 hours of sleep daily. It's going much better now with everything.

Haven't really had time to play games except for the special occasions, it's mostly BF V with some of my friends. I hope it changes when I move to Denmark and I settle in at the new place.

You had a brewery job last time I saw you, are you still there? Also holy shit you still have the 5820k
    Last edited by inux94; 2019-01-05 at 10:23 PM.

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    lol I never worked at a brewery, just jokingly put that up because of the times I had home-brewed beer with some friends.

I'm actually starting an IT position in the next couple days, retired from food and retail at last, there's just no future in it, not that I ever really thought there was, but I enjoyed working in coffee. Being a barista taught me I have more skills and can learn more skills than I realized.

Damn dude, good for you. You've come a long way, impressive! What kind of climate/environmental community?
    @Remilia pliss, reality check por favor.
    "A flower.

Yeah, I will also not be able to post anymore; I will not be consenting to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol I never worked at a brewery, just jokingly put that up because of the times I had home-brewed beer with some friends.

I'm actually starting an IT position in the next couple days, retired from food and retail at last, there's just no future in it, not that I ever really thought there was, but I enjoyed working in coffee. Being a barista taught me I have more skills and can learn more skills than I realized.

Damn dude, good for you. You've come a long way, impressive! What kind of climate/environmental community?
    @Remilia pliss, reality check por favor.
    In Japan, can't reality check for you.

Also shrink Crystal LED Sony or Samsung or someone. Kthx.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by a21fa7c67f26f6d49a20c2c51 View Post
    I'm glad to hear that.

---

I know some people here are fans of this brand of kit so maybe this is worth sharing. I've decided to set up a halfway good 2-channel stereo in my home office because I'm spending a bit more time there lately. I ordered a bunch of gear from Schiit:

I'm not one of those audiophile types and I'm not particularly into hi-fi equipment or home theatre but this stuff seems to have generally positive reviews and isn't insanely expensive so hopefully it'll be pretty good.

---

I'll be losing access to this account when their weird transfer to fandom or whatever goes through so I've started to clean up my history etc (hence the weird random name rather than 3 letters typed with consecutive fingers that aren't on home row).
    Nice! I'll be interested to hear what you think of that Schiit gear! I recognize the Vidars, but what else do you have? What is everything powering?

Yeah, I will also not be able to post anymore; I will not be consenting to that.
    And what is this you both are talking about? Do we need to actually make our own forum for real, now?

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh, looking back, I fear I may have unwittingly consented. Don't really remember but when I saw this was announced back in December, I have an inkling that I did...
    "A flower.

And what is this you both are talking about? Do we need to actually make our own forum for real, now?

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh, looking back, I fear I may have unwittingly consented. Don't really remember but when I saw this was announced back in December, I have an inkling that I did...
    Oh hell, I just (as in, yesterday) reset my email address from that data break that happened last year. I forgot all about the whole Fandom thing. I double checked, and it look like only EU people had to provide consent because of the GDPR. I never got an email about consent, at any rate - granted my account was kind of in limbo...

Should make a slack channel. Everyone probably has to be on there for work anyway.
    Count me among the weirdos who currently doesn't.

Question: Does Slack have any kind of persistence for people who don't leave their computer running all day? (That is, I could log in and see stuff that happened while I was offline.) Looks like the answer is yes from a quick Googling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    Question: Does Slack have any kind of persistence for people who don't leave their computer running all day? (That is, I could log in and see stuff that happened while I was offline.) Looks like the answer is yes from a quick Googling.
    Slack is basically Discord but more business. Especially since it preceded Discord.

I'm fine with Slack as I already use it anyways.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2019-01-09 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Slack is basically Discord but more business. Especially since it preceded Discord.
    Gotcha, that's actually the comparison I made in my head. Thanks for confirming.

10+ Year Old Account
    That moment when every single monitor vendor announces a 50"+ LG OLED TV as a "monitor" now that you can input UHD@120Hz@4:4:4 and they support Freesync.

This is honestly hilarious.

Also I'd prefer discord over slack but whatever.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2019-01-09 at 11:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a Freya to pre-amp for the Vidars and then for inputs to that I have a Mani in front of my record player. I've also got an old gungnir that I sent back to be upgraded: I bought it years ago for headphones but never really used it because I started using wireless headphones around work. For speakers, I ordered some KEF floorstanders. They're sitting in the mail room at work because I don't really want to fight with them in the elevator to get them down to my car until the weekend. I'm still waiting on monoprice to send some cable anyway.
    I'll be honest, I don't go for Monoprice cables anymore. ;o

I've had too much stuff from Monoprice just not last as well as others, though if it works, more power to ya! It's certainly, usually, cheaper. Though, for aesthetics, I have the PSY fancy shmancy RCA audio cables to connect my MODI 2 to my Asgard 2.

I'm pondering again upgrading to the Jotunheim with built-in DAC, because I want to make my audio system 100% balanced. Even with a ground-loop isolator, I still have ground loop issues... sometimes. Yeah, sometimes. It's frustrating as shit.

Get Jotunheim with built-in DAC, that takes away the need for RCA cables connecting DAC to AMP, since Schiit's cheapest options where you could go XLR to XLR are just too expensive otherwise. Then I can just use the XLR outputs on the Jotunheim.

For the record: pretty sure the ground loop isolator in my KRK 10S which I only turned on a couple months ago, broke randomly. It no work.

I think you all would love the "Command Center" at my new job. Holy shit it's such a beautiful, grand room of technology. Huge screens on the walls and probably 20-30 workstations all with Dell 34" ultrawide curved displays.

Thank you *insert major health insurance firm that owns the building and all the equipment here* for setting us up with beautiful equipment. lol though I am not working on one of those systems, though at some point I may be able to, the desks that people like I work at are still not bad: dual 24" IPS monitors. I'll take it! Was surprised to be told that you can even go on Facebook on company computers so long as while you're on a call you minimize/close it. Same deal with cell phones. Focus on the call. Outside of the call? Party. Really excited to see where I go here.

I dun have Slack, but I'm open to it. Does it allow avatars and all? I mean... that's how I know @tetrisGOAT. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    That moment when every single monitor vendor announces a 50"+ LG OLED TV as a "monitor" now that you can input UHD@120Hz@4:4:4 and they support Freesync.

This is honestly hilarious.

Also I'd prefer discord over slack but whatever.
    What's hilarious? As in they're obviously all the same base display?
    "A flower.

Slack is basically the same as discord but better. Except no voice chat. But tbh idgaf about voice chat Also probably less likely to sell your conversations and personal data to some Chinese businessman.

If you want I can make a Slack Workspace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Discord is basically Slack but with some gaming emphasis like voice channels, game status and in game ui overlay that can be disabled and what not.

I'm fine with either cause I end up using both regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I'm fine with either cause I end up using both regardless.
    I'm fine with either, as well - I'd only be using one or the other.

I haven't touched Discord since I quit WoW an expansion ago, but it always felt it was a little too good to be true. A program with voice, chat, and game overlays, etc - for free? Never was clear on their revenue model.

I dun have Slack, but I'm open to it. Does it allow avatars and all? I mean... that's how I know @tetrisGOAT. :P
    Works well for people who keep the same avatar for a while - not so helpful for those who change them frequently.

Of course, two people having Doctor Horrible avatars is confusing, too. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    I'm fine with either, as well - I'd only be using one or the other.

I haven't touched Discord since I quit WoW an expansion ago, but it always felt it was a little too good to be true. A program with voice, chat, and game overlays, etc - for free? Never was clear on their revenue model.
    A subscription for some more features like using custom emotes from different servers in private message or different servers. And probably some other perk I have no idea about. Then there's the crappy game store.