Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    According to the devs in an interview its because of the lighting. The original game was pre rendered so it was easy to set up things to scare in terms of reveals like a sound of something around a corner. In the Re engine the way lighting works they couldnt get the licker introduction to work the same way, but a licker crawling of of the shadows has the same effect as the original but without the need to lock the camera in a way that would make a bunch of the hard L's in the PD's layout not work unless the station had for some reason set up a bunch of floodlights in the same areas and that leads into the same issue you have in games like The Last of Us with glaring yellow rails and ladders with a standing lamp or floodlight pointed right at it. So they changed it to RE4 style where leon with a flashlight means you can have places where the powers out and leons limited light radius means it does the same effective function as the fixed camera where you rarely see the whole room and you can reveal something coming towards you that you didnt see even if you point at it. Which they kind of did with better audio in RE7 but this from a gameplay standpoint makes more sense.
    Ahh quite interesting thanks. Anyway if I want to revisit RE2 story that I've missed, should I play this new version? How close to original will it be? Or it'll be better just to go play old version?

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Because RE7 is the best selling Resident Evil of all time so they want to copy its setup (but not 100% copy) cause its clear people liked it.
    Personally I am really happy they did because fuck the Tank controls that RE1-3 had..
    Yeah but RE7 is different from RE4-6, right? It's FPS while 4-6 where TPS and 1-3 had fixed camera. I just hoped to play with old school mechanics but modern visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but that remaster that was recently released was not the PSOne version of RE1 either. It's a remaster of the RE1 remake that was released on the Gamecube and the relationship between this new version of RE2 and the original is remarkably similar to that of that RE1 remaster and the original PSOne release.
    Can't argue here, I've only played like 30 minutes of emulated RE2 on PC back in the days. I really like fixed camera and overall gameplay with small amount of ammo and resources.

How's this re-release of re-release different from original PS1 game in terms of story and gameplay?
    When a player quits EVE and goes to WoW, the average IQ in both games increases.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    Yeah but RE7 is different from RE4-6, right? It's FPS while 4-6 where TPS and 1-3 had fixed camera. I just hoped to play with old school mechanics but modern visuals.
    RE7 captures the feeling that RE1-3 gave and the RE2 Remake seems to repeat that. For me personally if they copied the original Re2 mechanics I would avoid this game like a plague.

Fuck the tank controls, there was nothing good about them. There is more to a game then where the camera is placed. RE2 Remake will be 3rd person but it will be nothing like RE4.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    RE7 captures the feeling that RE1-3 gave and the RE2 Remake seems to repeat that. For me personally if they copied the original Re2 mechanics I would avoid this game like a plague.

Fuck the tank controls, there was nothing good about them. There is more to a game then where the camera is placed. RE2 Remake will be 3rd person but it will be nothing like RE4.
    Good to know. I'm down then. Thanks.
    When a player quits EVE and goes to WoW, the average IQ in both games increases.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    Good to know. I'm down then. Thanks.
    If you haven't played it you should give RE7 a go.

(If you get it for console buy the gold edition so u get all the DLC).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    RE7 was scary as hells much more scary than the older ones in my opinion.
    I could see that even from just the little bit I played of RE7 (Its in my backlog atm).
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    Oh I managed to finish it and I have to say it was a good game but only 1 thing irked me at the end.

#NotmyChris D:
    LOL I've seen images of that and I know bits of it.

I plan to play it before RE2 Remake drops but at the same time I am also playing thought the KH series so ill be a bit busy lol.

https://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-...n-development/

Well this is interesting. The teal deer is that a known, reputable leaker has been talking the fact that for some reason RE3 has not been given a future proof port/update to MT framework or RE engine like everything else but RE2 which isn't getting it for the obvious reason of the remake. Dude says 'REmake 3 is definitely happening' and thats interesting. 2 like most survival horror games is considered a peak because it takes the original and increases the scope while expanding and refining gameplay. But Last Escape/Nemesis was a late PS1 entry made mostly as an experiment and had a LOT of ideas left on the cutting room floor. The final product is great but its easy, short and now as well rounded as its predecessor or CV and 4 which succeeded it on the new PS2 hardware of the time.

Its unconfirmed rumour but with Capcoms 'return to core IP' idea i really doubt they are remaking only the first of two games in the raccoon city trilogy. The "we made Raccoon as a full city to use in games beyond RE2" is the interesting part. I dont think many are surprised at the idea of Nemesis getting the REmake treatment but man if we got Outbreak or something new? that would be pretty cool.

Personally though i would love to see something set in the arklay mountains. A lot of T infested Rats and Crows spread through those hills and apparently teams of navy seals teamed up with a local militia to keep the outbreak contained there till the nuke could be launcher from an off shore vessel. The idea of some small town americana locations like the town in The Evil Within 2 and more people working with the protagonists as stuff shambled up from the city through the woods seemed like such a cool, spooky idea they didnt touch on much bar one mission in Outbreak File 2 where you find a private hospital in the woods that has been a contained t virus outbreak for a few years. If we get more raccoon era stuff i'd love to see that area fleshed out more than that one mission and the ecliptic express trainride.

I like Nemesis but I can definitely agree that it felt like a...if not downgrade, then a sidegrade, from RE2. The repetitive boss fights in corridors too small to dodge Nemesis effectively like you could dodge around Mr. X in RE2 unless you used the clunky-ass dodge "mechanic." I could really see the claim that it was basically a game they made to throw all the unused ideas from RE2 into. They also got around by reusing a lot of the locations from RE2 in Nemesis, and even when they were in new locations, you could see the assets taken from RE1 and 2.

I agree with your point about Outbreak. I would absolutely adore if they remade Outbreak and made it actually playable online. I was so excited to play it with friends online that my two buddies and I all bought the game and the online adapter and we played a single time. It was so buggy it was nearly unplayable.

Revelations 2, while not having online co-op (Stupidly), showed how a great co-op RE game could play. I'd buy Outbreak in an instant if it was remade and actually playable online with friends. I really loved the idea of 3 players going through the Resident Evil world at the same time and having to work together to survive. Plus all the little quirks each specific character had was nice (Since I mostly played solo due to how horrible online play was, I usually picked Yoko because of her 4 extra slots or Cindy because of her Herb case).

Also goddamn yes the Hospital from Outbreak 2 was creepy as hell. Especially with that stalking boss following you throughout the entire level and then, after reading notes, realizing it was the old man that you meet at the very beginning.

I've been banging on the Outbreak remake drum since they initially announced the RE2 Remake and I really want it to happen.
    Last edited by Necroxis; 2018-12-08 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroxis View Post
    I agree with your point about Outbreak. I would absolutely adore if they remade Outbreak and made it actually playable online. I was so excited to play it with friends online that my two buddies and I all bought the game and the online adapter and we played a single time. It was so buggy it was nearly unplayable.
    Well the thing right to remember is Monster Hunter world is their new big moneymaker and Monhun started as part of a multigame project to make online 4 player co-op games for the PS2's new online functionality. If one of those games made a return to none handhelds and showed the online 4 player co-op is a huge money maker AND forcasts for REmake 2 say its going to make wicked bank? if they really have made a full mapped out Raccoon "for other games" i could absolutely see them going from monster hunter to monsters hunter on repeat but alternating with a few outbreak games if the interest and money is there.

I mean if they just made Outbreak look like RE2 HD but with multiplayer, that would be an instant seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroxis View Post
    I like Nemesis but I can definitely agree that it felt like a...if not downgrade, then a sidegrade, from RE2. The repetitive boss fights in corridors too small to dodge Nemesis effectively like you could dodge around Mr. X in RE2 unless you used the clunky-ass dodge "mechanic." I could really see the claim that it was basically a game they made to throw all the unused ideas from RE2 into. They also got around by reusing a lot of the locations from RE2 in Nemesis, and even when they were in new locations, you could see the assets taken from RE1 and 2.

Revelations 2, while not having online co-op (Stupidly), showed how a great co-op RE game could play. I'd buy Outbreak in an instant if it was remade and actually playable online with friends. I really loved the idea of 3 players going through the Resident Evil world at the same time and having to work together to survive. Plus all the little quirks each specific character had was nice (Since I mostly played solo due to how horrible online play was, I usually picked Yoko because of her 4 extra slots or Cindy because of her Herb case).

Also goddamn yes the Hospital from Outbreak 2 was creepy as hell. Especially with that stalking boss following you throughout the entire level and then, after reading notes, realizing it was the old man that you meet at the very beginning.

I've been banging on the Outbreak remake drum since they initially announced the RE2 Remake and I really want it to happen.
    Fun fact: I believe it was RE3 (if not it was RE2) was actually SUPPOSED to be the non mainstream, side game, released for like the dreamcast or something, and Veronica was supposed to be the "main game" but due to some shenanigans, we ended up with RE3 being mainline and Veronica being the side game.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Fun fact: I believe it was RE3 (if not it was RE2) was actually SUPPOSED to be the non mainstream, side game, released for like the dreamcast or something, and Veronica was supposed to be the "main game" but due to some shenanigans, we ended up with RE3 being mainline and Veronica being the side game.
    Kind of. Code Veronica was meant to be the next mainline release and a Dreamcast exclusive. Kamiya was working on what was an RE game but would later be turned into Devil May Cry as the idea for RE4 gained traction and the team that made RE3 were working on a game involving Hunk on a cruise liner chasing a G virus sample. Elements of that were used for Gaiden and one of the first person ps2 shooter games but at the time was all shelved indefinitely as they didnt have the time or money to rebuild it for the PS2 so late in the PS1's lifespan.

But then because Kaimyas team went back to the drawing board for RE4 and Code Veronica at this point was a Dreamcast only title Sony wasn't happy there was going to be no Resident Evil title for several years on playstation right when launching their new console. So Capcom took the inexperienced team that was making the now shelved Hunk spinoff and told them 'take what assetts you can work with and make a new PS1 game' and naturally the assetts they had were raccoon city stuff. So the original plan was 'just make a side game about escaping the city' and they said 'well what if we make a game about Jill?' since she was the only fan favourite character not showing up in RE4 and Code Veronica and they went with it while testing some ideas to be used in RE4 like reactive controls and a quick turn and so on.

I think if you look somewhere on the main streets of raccoon ingame the team put a movie poster on a wall thats actually spoilers for Dino Crisis 3 and the original build of RE4 at the time. It was cobbled together so quick no higher ups noticed till it was released. It proved so popular in japan Biohazard: Last Escape came to the west as Resident Evil 3 Nemesis and while it can be a love or hate game for unique mechanics like ammo blending/creation, multipath narratives that require replays to see it all and an overall short, story light experience its still got its fans, made more money than expected and took the team from being seen as inexperienced rookies to another core team at capcoms development offices.

Kind of. Code Veronica was meant to be the next mainline release and a Dreamcast exclusive. Kamiya was working on what was an RE game but would later be turned into Devil May Cry as the idea for RE4 gained traction and the team that made RE3 were working on a game involving Hunk on a cruise liner chasing a G virus sample. Elements of that were used for Gaiden and one of the first person ps2 shooter games but at the time was all shelved indefinitely as they didnt have the time or money to rebuild it for the PS2 so late in the PS1's lifespan.

But then because Kaimyas team went back to the drawing board for RE4 and Code Veronica at this point was a Dreamcast only title Sony wasn't happy there was going to be no Resident Evil title for several years on playstation right when launching their new console. So Capcom took the inexperienced team that was making the now shelved Hunk spinoff and told them 'take what assetts you can work with and make a new PS1 game' and naturally the assetts they had were raccoon city stuff. So the original plan was 'just make a side game about escaping the city' and they said 'well what if we make a game about Jill?' since she was the only fan favourite character not showing up in RE4 and Code Veronica and they went with it while testing some ideas to be used in RE4 like reactive controls and a quick turn and so on.

I think if you look somewhere on the main streets of raccoon ingame the team put a movie poster on a wall thats actually spoilers for Dino Crisis 3 and the original build of RE4 at the time. It was cobbled together so quick no higher ups noticed till it was released. It proved so popular in japan Biohazard: Last Escape came to the west as Resident Evil 3 Nemesis and while it can be a love or hate game for unique mechanics like ammo blending/creation, multipath narratives that require replays to see it all and an overall short, story light experience its still got its fans, made more money than expected and took the team from being seen as inexperienced rookies to another core team at capcoms development offices.
    Ah, yes, you're right, I was slightly off in my memory (it's been a few years), but still explains why people would see RE3 as kind of a "side grade" game.

Loved RE7 and this looks sick to. Instant buy.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Ended up getting it for free with my video card, bonus! Now I've taken to replaying as many games as I can get my hands on waiting for it, lol. Looks like its going to be amazing with some of the new gameplay vids coming out.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm getting pretty hyped for this release, brought back so many memories on how I loved the first few games. I've even watched all the movies again, and I enjoyed them all surprisingly. I remember the later movies boring me a bit when released.

Is there any Resident Evil games that are a must play? I played 1 to 3 fully back in the day, and have the remake of 1. I think the last one I bought was 4? It may have been 5. It's the one that started in Africa. I never completed it as it didn't grip me like the others (if it was 5, means I never played 4).

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    So I'm getting pretty hyped for this release, brought back so many memories on how I loved the first few games. I've even watched all the movies again, and I enjoyed them all surprisingly. I remember the later movies boring me a bit when released.

Is there any Resident Evil games that are a must play? I played 1 to 3 fully back in the day, and have the remake of 1. I think the last one I bought was 4? It may have been 5. It's the one that started in Africa. I never completed it as it didn't grip me like the others (if it was 5, means I never played 4).
    REmake so far is the only one thats hard canon to this as its the sequel to that in this secondary 'remake timeline' but in general revelations 1 is worth playing and its on literally everything, 4 is literally on everything and its good but gets kind of tedious by the end and 7 is pretty good.

Just avoid 6. Its a massive trash fire. Capcom was near bankruptcy and shat out a cobbled together frankenstein of 5 games together saying "the fans of the older games are too old to play games and this is for the minecraft and call of duty generation" but its just a bad game in terms of gameplay, story, controls, online and just basic production value. I was excited to play Leon in a american college town during a t virus outbreak for his section but it starts with stuff like seeing a corridor with a narrow passage with a zombie sitting by it. You shoot the zombie in the head just to be sure and then move through. Only to see the game load out the zombie on the floor and load in a totally different model of zombie to slam you down into a mandatory unavoidable quicktime event that steals a significant chunk of your health to progress down the critical path. Thats in the first few minutes to say nothing of stuff like his campaign villain who is an evil us senator who can use a virus to turn into a dino crisis 3 skinless t rex and back at will, conservation of mass be damned. It was like all the problems halo 5 had for that series dialled up to 100.
    It sold well because of the prerelease media showing dark urban environments with zombies but it absolutely destroyed RE's reputation and lead to the dramatic shakeup of 7 because the brand was so poisoned at that point they could afford to take such a risk and luckily it paid off for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    REmake so far is the only one thats hard canon to this as its the sequel to that in this secondary 'remake timeline' but in general revelations 1 is worth playing and its on literally everything, 4 is literally on everything and its good but gets kind of tedious by the end and 7 is pretty good.

Just avoid 6. Its a massive trash fire. Capcom was near bankruptcy and shat out a cobbled together frankenstein of 5 games together saying "the fans of the older games are too old to play games and this is for the minecraft and call of duty generation" but its just a bad game in terms of gameplay, story, controls, online and just basic production value. I was excited to play Leon in a american college town during a t virus outbreak for his section but it starts with stuff like seeing a corridor with a narrow passage with a zombie sitting by it. You shoot the zombie in the head just to be sure and then move through. Only to see the game load out the zombie on the floor and load in a totally different model of zombie to slam you down into a mandatory unavoidable quicktime event that steals a significant chunk of your health to progress down the critical path. Thats in the first few minutes to say nothing of stuff like his campaign villain who is an evil us senator who can use a virus to turn into a dino crisis 3 skinless t rex and back at will, conservation of mass be damned. It was like all the problems halo 5 had for that series dialled up to 100.
    It sold well because of the prerelease media showing dark urban environments with zombies but it absolutely destroyed RE's reputation and lead to the dramatic shakeup of 7 because the brand was so poisoned at that point they could afford to take such a risk and luckily it paid off for them.
    Yeah I didn't mean to play inline with the new game coming out, although what about Resident Evil 0?

Just trying to find out if I've missed any RE games that were gems. Will have a look at revelations and 4.

Oh and I have 7, although too scary too finish it as I play it on VR

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Yeah I didn't mean to play inline with the new game coming out, although what about Resident Evil 0?

Just trying to find out if I've missed any RE games that were gems. Will have a look at revelations and 4.

Oh and I have 7, although too scary too finish it as I play it on VR
    0 is a perfectly fine game, but also entirely skippable. I'd say it's the point where the "lore" of the series really started to hit a wall and go from a pretty decent justification for shooting zombies to some overarching, bloated conspiracy crap. Same review goes for Code Veronica, which ages pretty poorly.

4 is a must play, arguably. It moves far, far away from the Resident Evil formula, but it's one of the best action games ever made.

I never finished 5 either (It got boring quickly, it tried too hard to recapture 4) and 6 was too much of a trash fire to bother with.

I'd strongly encourage finishing 7, though. It's probably the best pure Resident Evil experience since RE 2. The gameplay isn't necessarily as "tight" as 4, but it's got about the best atmosphere I've ever seen in a game.

ETA: Minor spoilers for 7. Having finished it, I can confirm that skipping 5 and 6 has absolutely no impact on the story. I feel like that was probably intentional, considering how poorly they were received.
    Last edited by 0bsessions; 2019-01-07 at 12:54 PM.

0 has a really good opening on a train but after that its literally a copy of the spencer mansion with the albino apes from congo. Not kidding.

But if you have a ps2 (or other means to play it winkwin) Outbreak file 2 is 5 short campaigns that flesh out events in raccoon city including a very interesting camapign involving a private hospital in the woods of the arklay mountains that was referenced in 7, confirming its canon, and REmake 2's devs have teased an outbreak 2 connection there as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    0 is a perfectly fine game, but also entirely skippable. I'd say it's the point where the "lore" of the series really started to hit a wall and go from a pretty decent justification for shooting zombies to some overarching, bloated conspiracy crap. Same review goes for Code Veronica, which ages pretty poorly.

4 is a must play, arguably. It moves far, far away from the Resident Evil formula, but it's one of the best action games ever made.

I never finished 5 either (It got boring quickly, it tried too hard to recapture 4) and 6 was too much of a trash fire to bother with.

I'd strongly encourage finishing 7, though. It's probably the best pure Resident Evil experience since RE 2. The gameplay isn't necessarily as "tight" as 4, but it's got about the best atmosphere I've ever seen in a game.

ETA: Minor spoilers for 7. Having finished it, I can confirm that skipping 5 and 6 has absolutely no impact on the story. I feel like that was probably intentional, considering how poorly they were received.
    Will buy 4 then, still on sale on Steam, so good timing. I'm holding you responsible if I don't like it. No idea why I missed 4 back when it was released.

I know how RE7 ends

- - - Updated - - -

0 has a really good opening on a train but after that its literally a copy of the spencer mansion with the albino apes from congo. Not kidding.

But if you have a ps2 (or other means to play it winkwin) Outbreak file 2 is 5 short campaigns that flesh out events in raccoon city including a very interesting camapign involving a private hospital in the woods of the arklay mountains that was referenced in 7, confirming its canon, and REmake 2's devs have teased an outbreak 2 connection there as well.
    No longer have a PS2, although have a feeling it may be in my sisters attic.

I loved the mansion! But may give that a miss.