Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do You Have 'Thin Privilege'

*First off not sure if these topics are allowed I looked at the rules but I think it's okay

Well this is a thing now....

I am not gonna link the whole article but it's there in the link if you are interested furthering your knowledge on this.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/artic...0-9c3c5af97689
    What is 'thin privilege' and who has it?
    Having 'thin privilege' means not dealing with fat shaming when you tuck into a pizza

Buying clothes in High Street shops and sitting comfortably in train and plane seats are things some people take for granted.

But not for much longer, as lingerie blogger Cora Harrington says these things mean you probably benefit from “thin privilege”.

In a detailed Twitter thread, Cora says, “You don’t have to ‘feel thin’ to have thin privilege". It just means you're not on the receiving end of other people's fatphobia, and you don't find it difficult to do everyday things because of your size.

Cora says she doesn't feel the burden of explaining thin privilege should just be placed on plus-size people.

She tells BBC Three: "I really feel that when we're talking about inequalities in society, it should not always be the responsibility of the person who might be affected to be the one who brings those topics up in conversation. There's this added trauma that comes from, first, being disadvantaged by something, and then, second, having to justify your existence to so many hostile people.

"So the comments and criticism aren't going to be as emotionally taxing for me, as someone who benefits from thin privilege, as they would be for someone who does not."

She’s not the first person to talk about thin privilege, of course – body positive bloggers have been discussing it for the last few years at least. There are even entire Tumblr blogs dedicated to it.

But Cora’s thread has been liked and retweeted so many times that it’s taken the idea mainstream, reaching people who'd never heard the term before.

All I am saying is when the right hand privilege comes along I am one fucked straight, white, male, healthy eater lol.
    Last edited by mmocfb48d32508; 2019-01-08 at 05:43 PM.

My thin privilege is cancelled out by tall oppression. Trousers that fit my waist don't reach my ankles, having space to the sides on planes and trains mean nothing when my knees are destroyed by the seat in front.

Well, Im not a fat tub of lard, so yes?

I don't mind acknowledging the state of privilege, though I see little merit to it.

I am a fit, mostly straight, white male from a solid middle class upbringing. I accept my life has had some ease as a result of this, but so what?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Out of interest OP, what were you searching for that made you stumble upon a 5 month old article from a relatively obscure TV channel?

Well, I eat like a pig and I've never ever weighted more than 50 kg / 110 lbs. If some insane politically correct snowflake wants to consider this a privilege I most certainly won't stop him, but then I'd get to bitch about bulk privilege to people who manage to put on weight, yes?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Out of interest OP, what were you searching for that made you stumble upon a 5 month old article from a relatively obscure TV channel?
    I follow Jonathan Pie on Twitter, he retweeted it two days ago.

He's a political comedian and satirist. He does a lot of comical news reports. Met him live at the Hammersmith such an awesome guy very funny dude. He has been described by the BBC as Louis Theroux meets Alan Partridge. I wouldn't say that but it's a compliment. :P
    Last edited by mmocfb48d32508; 2019-01-08 at 06:06 PM.

I swear, new issues are invented by the hour.

I read that and still don't fully grasp the necessity or gravity of the issue, if there is one at all.

What's next? Lactose Privilege? People who are not lactose-intolerant will make lactose-intolerant people feel bad? It sounds ridiculous but it's going to happen, just watch. You read it here first. BBC will have a story in 2019 about Lactose Privilege.

I'll one up you and call on the defence of all those feeling dead inside, or are dead, with the plight of seeing those with the privilege of living.

"Get a life..."

Rarely about care what privileges people feel I have. Usually when someone talk about their issues they have and they start talking about others through "privileges" they, in my experience, seem to want you to feel sorry for them and feel sorry that you don't have same issues as them. Fuck that shaming tactic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Well, I eat like a pig and I've never ever weighted more than 50 kg / 110 lbs. If some insane politically correct snowflake wants to consider this a privilege I most certainly won't stop him, but then I'd get to bitch about bulk privilege to people who manage to put on weight, yes?
    Many people believe hardgainers are a myth, but I feel you there bud. I had a ton of issues putting on muscle for many years until one day it just sort of snapped and I started gaining. I still remember really struggling to hit 64lbs in 1997 because my parents had promised that if I managed to they'd buy me a Nintendo 64 for Christmas (I just barely made it).
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

This is old news. Not sure if it's a site anymore but thisisthinprivilege was a great source of laughs. They started off completely serious but troll posts started getting on their too cause the owner thought they were real. Some fatties are truly delusional

5+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it is my 'privilege' to not advance my risks of disease and fit in most clothing

Privilege is a real thing based upon cultural/societal biases in reference to race/religion/gender/location and wealth. Using it like this is a continuous trend of idiots ruining concepts because they want sympathy.

As a matter of fact one could consider eating oneself to morbid fucking obesity as a first world privilege, since we have access to cheap food in large quantities that others may not. That is an example of a real privilege--actual access to resources at great convenience that others do not. But that doesn't fish for as much pity, does it?
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Many people believe hardgainers are a myth, but I feel you there bud. I had a ton of issues putting on muscle for many years until one day it just sort of snapped and I started gaining. I still remember really struggling to hit 64lbs in 1997 because my parents had promised that if I managed to they'd buy me a Nintendo 64 for Christmas (I just barely made it).
    They are a myth. I was a "hard gainer" until I realized that my version of eating like a pig was 1600 calories. Or you eat so much food but then not much the next day. Once you start tracking calories for a few weeks you will see how little you are actually eating.

I've gone from 115 lbs to 175 lbs after I learned how to eat

The thing is everyone can get thin privilege if they want it. Does that make it a privilege in the sense that it is an unearned benefit? I think a lot of people work in some way to stay thin or do without something that larger people don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Many people believe hardgainers are a myth, but I feel you there bud. I had a ton of issues putting on muscle for many years until one day it just sort of snapped and I started gaining.

I still remember really struggling to hit 64lbs in 1997 because my parents had promised that if I managed to they'd buy me a Nintendo 64 for Christmas (I just barely made it).
    So true.

Up until I was 22 I couldn't gain weight to save my life. It didn't help I didn't exercise and just kinda ate whatever. I had to actually buckle down and add food to my diet and doing less cardio/more weight lifting. My friends all called me lucky but honestly being a hardgainer can kinda suck. You get reaaaaally tired of protein shakes after a while. You have to keep an eye on your food intake and exercise just as well as someone trying to lose weight.

In regards to this whole thin privilege thing I just...I can't. It sounds so ridiculous to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    They are a myth. I was a "hard gainer" until I realized that my version of eating like a pig was 1600 calories. Or you eat so much food but then not much the next day. Once you start tracking calories for a few weeks you will see how little you are actually eating.

I've gone from 115 lbs to 175 lbs after I learned how to eat
    That's kind of true but there are some people out there that just have a crazy metabolism. I had to push up to like 3000ish calories to start a slow trek up to 170 while I have friends that eat very little but maintain a high weight. People burn off calories at different rates.
    Last edited by Ragnarocket; 2019-01-08 at 05:55 PM.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account
    ...a privilege ive earned. Being fat is unhealthy. yeah yeah there are exceptions as to why people are/become overweight (thyroid issue, depression etc etc). society making obesity acceptable is wrong. i dont feel bad that you make unhealthy choices. YOU should feel bad, and do something about it. "Plus size modell"? gtfo with that ignorance. /rage rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post
    So true.

Up until I was 22 I couldn't gain weight to save my life. It didn't help I didn't exercise and just kinda ate whatever. I had to actually buckle down and add food to my diet and doing less cardio/more weight lifting. My friends all called me lucky but honestly being a hardgainer can kinda suck. You get reaaaaally tired of protein shakes after a while. You have to keep an eye on your food intake and exercise just as well as someone trying to lose weight.

In regards to this whole thin privilege thing I just...I can't. It sounds so ridiculous to me.

- - - Updated - - -

That's kind of true but there are some people out there that just have a crazy metabolism. I had to push up to like 3000ish calories to start a slow trek up to 170. People burn off calories at different rates.
    I can guarantee that not even 10% of people who believe they are hard gainers actually are. If you count your cals and track it for a month, you will see.

I was one like I said. Would go out with my friends and eat a whole pizza and everyone would be like wow u eat so much but are so skinny. But then that would be most if not all I'd eat that day. Fat ppl eat that everyday plus snacks and other meals.

I eat 3500 to gain weight. 2800 to maintain. 1800 to cut. At 175lbs while working out 5 times a week.

I guess.. I mean at 88 kg I wouldn't call myself thin in any way but I don't have to buy clothes the size of a tent and I can easily fit into a standard airplane seat and well any seat in general.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2019-01-08 at 06:04 PM.

Deleted
    Instead of people criticising when I eat something like asking if I should eat this or that they instead say I have to eat what's on the plate, it's rude to leave food. Yeah ok stupid bitch, there's a reason why I'm normal weight and you're overweight.

LUL how to contribute to a bullshit thread?

what a joke this is.