Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Even if they were a desperate dying corporation, I would still not support them unless their pricing is good, and follow my own interest as a consumer.\

If they cannot disrupt product pricing, AMD really has nothing new&unique to offer until Summer.

The 2700x is a good case of positive disruption for example, almost half the price of 9900K and pretty much almost as good as that for 1440p/RTX2080 and below.

The VII is not.
    Agree with everything you stated. I expected AMD to topple the competition with CES and when they announced the 699 pricetag, down went said excitement. Hence why the current upgrade path for me is the disruptive 2700x alongside a 2080 until the summer. If the 3 series comes in at around the 500 pricetag for their CES preview chip, they have a winner. If they marginally come close to Intel's pricing, they're screwed and the 2700x again becomes their mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    That's very strange logic. It sounds like you want the underdog to go bankrupt but are happy for the market leader to make tons of cash. Why wouldn't you choose an AMD CPU if it's 5% faster at the same cost or 5% cheaper for the same speed?

Adopting the attitude that I won't buy from the little guy unless he is a lot cheaper is part of what got us into the situation where Intel milked people for years on dual cores.
    Obviously every user should choose what's best for himself and not think about the corporation behind it. As for trying to paint a multi-billion dollar corporation as "the little guy"? You can't be serious. Sure, they're smaller than the competition, but we're talking about a MULTI-BILLION dollar corporation that employs ~9k people, this is not some boutique studio with hungry employees. Even if they fail in all their markets they can live of their IP alone at least for some time.

Yeah it does look excessive for gaming. Speculation on the web is (based on first Vega being memory bandwidth starved) that they needed to do this if they wanted to achieve performance parity with the 2080/1080ti. Nvidia has it easier with their compression algorithms for some data, which I've seen some call a cheat, basically.
    I mean... I'd be happy with a 2080 "like" card that costs a decent amount less. At least since 1080ti's are so pricey now.

Nvidia has it easier with their compression algorithms for some data, which I've seen some call a cheat, basically.
    Why would anyone call this a cheat? What/where is the cheat?

Yup. Consumers are in a really bad position. Hopefully we don't get betrayed once again in the summer. Tech/gaming progress seems to slow down and there's this push that anything decently powerful is suddenly out of the mainstream pricing, which I obviously dislike.

- - - Updated - - -

The 2080 should have been the 2070, and come at 350-400$ tops, considering it competed witch the previous gen Ti. Also it should have had more VRAM, just like Pascal and Maxwell had. We got royally screwed with it coming at double the price with the same VRAM.
    It's a problem with pushing new tech too fully before it's ready. It's ok they pushed RT out, but it shouldn't have involved taking over their whole line. 2080/ti and titan with 1150-1180ti being the mainstream branch still.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I mean... I'd be happy with a 2080 "like" card that costs a decent amount less. At least since 1080ti's are so pricey now.
    It doesn’t cost less. The MSRP on the 2080 is 699, just like this new Radeon 7

- - - Updated - - -

It's a problem with pushing new tech too fully before it's ready. It's ok they pushed RT out, but it shouldn't have involved taking over their whole line. 2080/ti and titan with 1150-1180ti being the mainstream branch still.
    Except that isn’t the product stack. Titan is its own product lineup now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    It doesn’t cost less. The MSRP on the 2080 is 699, just like this new Radeon 7

- - - Updated - - -

Except that isn’t the product stack. Titan is its own product lineup now.
    Did you miss the WHOLE conversation before that bout ram and dropping prices? And titan being "it's own product lineup now" really has nothing to do with anything. Only the very high end cards right now should have bothered with ray tracing and they should have had a full mainstream lineup of non RT cards.

They threw too much HBM2 on it, that's the major problem... you could cut out a huge chunk of pricing if you cut 16 gigs down to 8 for consumer cards. Nothing WE do as gamers will need 16 for many many years to come. Leave the 16 for content creators to fill up, they're already paying buko bucks for cards.
    Not really. Upcoming title Division 2 uses up to 11GB of VRAM @ 4K. Even current GPUs from nVidia like 1080Ti, 2080, 2080Ti, etc come with 11GB VRAM.

Quote Originally Posted by nToxik View Post
    Not really. Upcoming title Division 2 uses up to 11GB of VRAM @ 4K. Even current GPUs from nVidia like 1080Ti, 2080, 2080Ti, etc come with 11GB VRAM.
    Ram is a funny thing, programs will use more of it then needed if its there. They don't dump old textures. 8 gigs would be fine with D2 at 4k.

Well the 2600x is running good on the MSI X470...

Yeah at 4.3 the Byski Block and the 1060 blocked with some Deeper Barrow like Brass Fittings.
    Rest EK's Aluminum stuff. yeah 1/2"

Run's ICYYY

Where Bulldozer did kinda run Crappy on stuff. That's actually running pretty well dude.
    Last edited by JRZoid; 2019-01-11 at 09:40 PM.

Deleted
    AMD is no actual underdog, they're a Big Tech 3 corporation, and clearly just as greedy as Intel and Nvidia. They have good pricing at time, like with some Ryzens (do keep in mind, where I live, the 8700K was cheaper than the 1700x for example) or with the HD4800 cards in the past.

But they also do insane prices when they feel like they can, for example when they were leading in the CPU market, they were selling Athlons at 1000$, and Fury and Vega were abysmally priced, just like VII looks to be.

My position on each of these 3 corporations is:

- each are immoral and greedy
    - each is super big, wealthy and probably "too big to fail", and each would be rescued by the government if in crisis.
    - neither cares about us, the consumer, they care first and foremost about creating increasing amounts of profit for shareholders

So, I am also NOT caring for them, at all, in fact, I despise them. I know a lot of people consider themselves "fans" of these corporations in some way, and I feel pity for them, I consider them deluded, like being in an abusive relationship.

Consumers should always follow their own interest above anything else, and never find excuses for corporations.
    More importantly what the pricing from each company shows is that there is no competition between them, or not the kind that we are led to believe. It shows that AMD, Intel and Nvidia are all in on this horrendous price fixing debacle. Raise prices of everything, make the consumer believe that there is choice and value in the latest product and ensure that mainstream buyers pay higher prices for mid-tier products, prices that have been raised through so called halo products.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoc8f3638b110 View Post
    More importantly what the pricing from each company shows is that there is no competition between them, or not the kind that we are led to believe. It shows that AMD, Intel and Nvidia are all in on this horrendous price fixing debacle. Raise prices of everything, make the consumer believe that there is choice and value in the latest product and ensure that mainstream buyers pay higher prices for mid-tier products, prices that have been raised through so called halo products.
    It's Excellent Pricing...250-260$ for the 2600x and ok Box Cooler the Spire....but no it's not a good Block. That Byski Block is raddd...has some MASS to it...and idk Barrow like...want to do Nickel....

- - - Updated - - -

No Intel is on the shit List dude..already have a retarded socket...and to top it off..shitty Tim on the die stuff....sending out 300-400$ cpu's like that....just nooo lol.

Send me the Team Red shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoc8f3638b110 View Post
    Ehh... hate to break it to you but margins on all but the very high end GPUs, at least, are tiny. Like 5%.

You can go and break down what each part costs and do the math yourself (other people have done it).

That new Radeon VII, for instance... AMD's got about a 9% margin. The AIB partners have less than 5%.

That HMB2 is fucking expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehh... hate to break it to you but margins on all but the very high end GPUs, at least, are tiny. Like 5%.

You can go and break down what each part costs and do the math yourself (other people have done it).

That new Radeon VII, for instance... AMD's got about a 9% margin. The AIB partners have less than 5%.

Yeah, if you want to make money on a GPU, don't put HBM2 on it. You need to raise prices, and make less margin

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Yeah, if you want to make money on a GPU, don't put HBM2 on it. You need to raise prices, and make less margin
    If i recall the number correctly, the COST of the HBM2 (to AMD) on the Radeon VII is like 300 or close to it.

For just the VRAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It just seems they saw the pricing on RTX 2080 and saw they could convert the Instict MI50 to this and make some profit off it at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    It just seems they saw the pricing on RTX 2080 and saw they could convert the Instict MI50 to this and make some profit off it at the same time.
    Probably. From what I understand, it's just a slightly worse binned MI50, so less silicon to throw out
    If i recall the number correctly, the COST of the HBM2 (to AMD) on the Radeon VII is like 300 or close to it.

For just the VRAM.
    Yeah, it's insane.

Deleted

To assume for whatever reason that these companies act honestly and adhere to whatever market rules that have been invented out of thin air is ludicrous. Profits from these corps and especially the tech industry come from two main sources, cheap labour and huge government subsidies. Things might well be as you say in regards to the cost of building a high end card, but that's not my point - prices are high at the top end to drive up prices for the mainstream tier cards. If anything it shows more so how these corps collude with each other to maintain profits. I mean it just so happens that Nvidia charges 699 MSRP - higher than something that performs practically the same last gen - and it just so happens that AMD can sell their cut down silicon at a small profit margin at exactly the same price as their competitors third tier flagship card. My point remains, prices creep up for the mainstream consumer for mid-tier products e.g. the 2060s and whatever iteration AMD comes out with and Halo products that get released, such as the Titans and Radeon VIIs ensure that cards lower down the product stack remain high.

Anyone with any memory of GPU and CPU pricing can see that prices are creeping up for the mainstream.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2019-01-12 at 09:46 AM.

Been waiting for this moment for a while. Where we have 2 companies in a knife fight actually innovating the market instead of just deploying marketing techniques to sell the same products over and over again but only slightly better. Hopefully AMD can pull their head out of their ads in the GPU market as well and make it happen there as well.

Deleted
    There is no "knife fight" because if there was, we would see prices being slashed, which is normally the effect of real competition. The reality is we have a few dominant companies that are increasing prices for the mainstream every year. We have effectively two companies in this so called war for CPUs, the fact that myself and others think that this represents free market choice anyone with half a brain would think that we were insane. The fact that our reasoning has become, "Thank God AMD is in the market now" further proves how low our expectations are when it comes to competitive consumer pricing in a CPU market dominated by just two tech corps.