Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mike Morhaime is leaving Blizzard for good in April

What do you all think about this? He was going to stay on as strategic advisor but now he is leaving?

Blizzard Entertainment co-founder and former president Mike Morhaime announced in October 2018 that he had stepped down from his long-held position, but would remain as a strategic advisor, expressing love and admiration for the company. How long he would remain wasn't made clear at that time, but an Activision Blizzard SEC filing made earlier this week reveals that Morhaime's position as advisor will come to an end in a few months.

"As previously disclosed, on October 3, 2018 Michael Morhaime entered into an agreement with Activision Blizzard, Inc. (the 'Company') pursuant to which he would provide strategic advice to the Company in an advisory capacity," the filing says. "Mr. Morhaime’s employment with the Company as a strategic advisor will conclude on April 7, 2019."

Morhaime was succeeded as president of Blizzard by J. Allen Brack, the longtime executive producer on World of Warcraft, and his full departure may simply reflect the end of the leadership transition period. It comes at a time of apparent turmoil at Activision Blizzard: The company recently lost two top executives, Activision Blizzard CFO Spencer Neumann and Blizzard CFO Amrita Ahuja, and yesterday appointed new presidents of Activision, King Digital Entertainment, and Activision Blizzard's Emerging Businesses. I've reached out to Blizzard for comment and will update if I receive a reply.
    Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/mike-morhaim...good-in-april/

10+ Year Old Account
    I think 6 months is a good time to advise and coach the new leader.

He was already with one foot out the door so this is not really surprising.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

I'm ever more convinced that Activision is actually cleaning house. Sure, they want to make Blizzard more corporate, but at least we're getting rid of SJW cancer with it.

Infracted {MoanaLisa}
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-01-11 at 03:40 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    In my experience that's not at all unusual. Granted, I don't work with companies or entities remotely the size of Blizzard (much, much smaller entities), but it's not uncommon to retain previous owners or key personnel to train and advise the newcomer before they completely sever.

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    I'm ever more convinced that Activision is actually cleaning house. Sure, they want to make Blizzard more corporate, but at least we're getting rid of SJW cancer with it.
    Yeah, that's what broke classes and failed to provide fun game systems for BfA. It was those damn feminists all along!
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

Deleted
    Have a bad feeling about blizzards future.

Mobile games focus, having PC devs that focus on having gays, and diverse characters ingame before gameplay, cutting dev costs and wanting to push out more smaller games for bigger profits, and then seeing blizzards biggest IP WoW becoming older and older and nobody in blizzard seem to have a plan to refresh the game that is the backbone of blizzards cash flow.

Good Riddance! Only good thing he done was stop Blizzard implementing Real ID on the Forums years ago. Blizzard as a company under his leadership made the company stale and it is suffering those repercussions heavy now.

Would be fun if he goes on record about whats actually going on at AcivitionBlizzard after hes gone out the door.

its not like he needs job security for money anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post

You do know that Blizzard has been under his leadership since 1991? He's one of the co-founders of the goddamn company.
    It doesnt matter if he helped found the company. Past 5+ years the company went stale. So many franchises they do nothing with, wasting millions on another MMO to cancel it and turn it into a shooter for their esports. Not creating new IPs. There is nothing out there for people to get hype about a future Blizzard product, even now Diablo mobile(only upcoming release) is still getting shit on by Blizzard's fanbase and investors. Blizzard's problems can be blame on the person that is suppose to lead the company and that was CEO/President of Blizzard Entertainment.

He's the chief culprit for Blizzard's downfall today who sold out to those corporate bastards

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthzull View Post
    What do you all think about this? He was going to stay on as strategic advisor but now he is leaving?

Well, nothing new on this.

And 6 months was enough to teach, and advise for a new in the position.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    He stayed six months to advise on the transition. It's not unexpected.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Yep, that's all very standard.

Not to say that evil suits at Activision aren't behind the whole dastardly plot to depose Morhaime, Kotick is exactly such a suit. We simply don't have the information to support that. We don't know what happened, so it's all unfounded speculation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    He stayed six months to advise on the transition. It's not unexpected.
    Sure, sure...

... or it could be this...

No one ever said his advisory role would be temporary at any point. The walls are closing in. Best we can pray is the stock tanks some more and Blizzard separates from Activision completely.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Sure, sure...

... or it could be this...

No one ever said his advisory role would be temporary at any point. The walls are closing in. Best we can pray is the stock tanks some more and Blizzard separates from Activision completely.
    They are legally one entity now so that won't happen.

Activision owns Blizzard. It isn't like Bungie where they got a sweetheart publishing deal after leaving Microsoft because they made Halo. So that's possible, but it would be extraordinarily expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    They are legally one entity now so that won't happen.
    Sure they can. Blizzard bought themselves out from Vivendi before they acquired Activision. Happens in companies all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Sure they can. Blizzard bought themselves out from Vivendi before they acquired Activision. Happens in companies all the time.
    They merged though and I doubt Mike has majority in the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthzull View Post

When he Leaves, I hope he takes Ion with him

Ion is a great encounter designer, I don't want him to leave. I want him to design raid bosses, and stay away from the rest of the game.