Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    ]o sing well does not take much skill. You just have to be born with a pretty voice that people want to hear.
    You could not possibly be more wrong on this. While very, very, very few people are born with perfect pitch and able to translate that into a singing performance, to master your anatomy to be a good singer takes just as much, if not more skill than to play an external instrument.

People comparing michael Jackson a guy who could make number 1's in his sleep, to the one hit wonders like alien ant farm who had to borrow from the best to even get recognised..

And people saying whitney houston sucks.

I am OUT

Yeah I like Dolly's better. Just like I like David Allen Coe's Tennessee whiskey over Chris Stapleton's

Hallelujah has a billion covers, but I think I like Buckley's the best. That said, nothing beats Cohen.

As to the others, I like Dolly better, and Disturbed knocked Sound of Silence out of the park.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Hallelujah has a billion covers, but I think I like Buckley's the best. That said, nothing beats Cohen.
    [video=youtube;YrLk4vdY28Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q[video]

[video=youtube;y8AWFf7EAc4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=y8AWFf7EAc4[video]

As to the others, I like Dolly better, and Disturbed knocked Sound of Silence out of the park.
    Cohen hands down. Hell, you linked a live version and it still sounds amazing.

Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers

Ain't No Sunshine - Michael Jackon

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    People comparing michael Jackson a guy who could make number 1's in his sleep, to the one hit wonders like alien ant farm who had to borrow from the best to even get recognised..

And people saying whitney houston sucks.

I am OUT
    I don't think people have been saying Whitney sucks. I think what's been said is that she doesn't give the raw innocent emotion that Dolly brought to the original recording of the song. The two versions are worlds apart in their approach to the song.

- - - Updated - - -

OK so what do you guys think of these songs?

VS

VS

original:

or remix:
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranastus View Post
    I'd like to see people's opinions on two different songs with covers:

Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel/Disturbed
    S&G: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4
    D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4
    What Disturbed did with the song was change it into something damn near unrecognizable to an old fart like me. This wasn't as much an interpretation as a re-working. The original is, imo, better, but the cover is incredible. Great songs are flexible and can absorb a lot of tinkering.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Cohen hands down. Hell, you linked a live version and it still sounds amazing.

Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers

Ain't No Sunshine - Michael Jackon

Michael Jackson was truly the king of what he did in the 80ies...but Withers man...even with all the recogition he got he's still underestimated in my opinion. He's got that soul and that warmth in his voice. I'd take Withers over Jackson anyday.