Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    add an option to buy the heritage armors per race ( 1 race per purchase ) along with the free way of earning them by leveling.

of course, this wouldn't matter to me as i have the only heritage armor i want already mwahahaha...

until Gilneans.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

We're hitting some serious levels of mental retardation in this thread

to OP

While I don't have an issue with the current system,I like your ideas.Revisiting the history and legacy of your race does fit well with the whole heritage thing,even better if they added some additional quests or events to these things,just to piece it all together

That's already basically what it is. Do some relevant content relating to the allied race, then you unlock their questline. There's no reason to do the brief heritage armor quests themselves unless you actually want a character of that race. It's not like you can go "haha, I got the allied race armor, now I can equip it on my main who is not that allied race!"

Granted I haven't seen the new heritage armor quests for BEs and dwarves if those are more in depth than "congrats, here's your armor" like the allied races, but even then you have Nobbel87's vids.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    add an option to buy the heritage armors per race ( 1 race per purchase ) along with the free way of earning them by leveling.
    For real money? People cried enough about this being a cash grab even when it was completely unjustified.

The only purpose of Heritage Armor was to give the defenders ONE rational argument, that Blizzard's whole intention with ARs was ot just to sell more race-changes+boosts.

The sad truth is, that they would have had to make the Heritage Armor anyway for NPCs. So slapping them on a "leveling achievement" which they do not actually want you to do was very easy and cheap for them.

This is not a hypothetical situation. Almost everybody on these forums has either bought a shop service for an AR themselves or have friends who did. It is 100% obvious what the purpose of this feature was and will stay to be.
    Blizzard will do with them what generates the most shop income. As with anything else.

Allied Races should have been sub-races adding additional customization options to their original race. Yes, that means Void Elves would have been Horde, Nightborne would have been Alliance. You unlock the Allied Race and can then go to the Barber and use their visuals. I am absolutely convinced that would have been better for the game, better for the players and far better for the racial identity. But it would not have been better for shop-income.
    Last edited by Nathasil; 2019-01-12 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd3a4bd50bb View Post
    We're hitting some serious levels of mental retardation in this thread

to OP

While I don't have an issue with the current system,I like your ideas.Revisiting the history and legacy of your race does fit well with the whole heritage thing,even better if they added some additional quests or events to these things,just to piece it all together
    To your first comment, I won't say you're wrong...

Thank you!

To expand, I do believe Blizzard will have a hard time sustaining player engagement for allied races if they continue with this system. Highmountain, Dark Irons, Nightborne, etc. all have rich lore to back them up because we interacted with them all throughout Legion, if not longer in the case of the Dark Irons. Races like Lightforged and Void Elves feel cheap and haphazardly slapped onto the character creation screen because of a lack of story development. We saw them during one patch (and this statement is kind of a stretch for Void Elves who had a maybe 15 minute introduction to the player before SURPRISE! they're a whole player race now).

For the races who are introduced in one single content patch, this could further flesh out their stories (I am theoretically applying this logic to Vulpera, Mechagnomes and the Naga-esque races introduced in 8.2).
    Last edited by Grimlore; 2019-01-11 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlore View Post
    You enjoy having to do the same thing 4-8 times for a strictly cosmetic reward?

- - - Updated - - -

See the orcs from the current timeline come to Azeroth. It's also just an example, feel free to throw it out.
    Mag'har specifically stayed behind in Nagrand is the thing.

Otherwise I actually much prefer this to leveling. And I'm a person who LOVES to level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    Allied races should have been sub-races adding additional customization options to their original race. Yes, that means Void Elves would have been Horde, Nightborne would have been Alliance. You unlock the Allied race and can then go to the barber and use their visuals. I am absolutely conviced that would have been better for the game, better for the players and far better for the racial identity. But it would not have been better for shop-income.
    It would have made absolutely no sense to the story being told as it was. Imagine a new Nightborne if you will starting their first adventure away from Suramar in the area of... Darnassus? Where all of the NPCs would talk about their training as a Night Elf. Or perhaps a member of the Army of the Light that has come back to Azeroth after fighting the Legion for 10,000 years on Argus only to find that they are actually part of the Draenei who escaped 25,000 years ago. How about those Orcs that avoided being corrupted by Gul'dan over on AU Draenor who now have to learn that they were actually part of the corruption? People would complain that these didn't actually fit the race stories being shown, and rightfully so IMO. We'd also be looking at weird combos...how about that Lightforged Shaman? Or that Highmountain Paladin?

Let's also make sure that we look at the marketing impact of this. In WoD, Blizz went and updated the model of every playable race in the game, aside from Pandaren, Goblin, & Worgen. The player base responded by calling it lazy...after all, Blizz didn't bother to give us a new race. People even still point out that WoD had no new races to this day when talking about it's shortcomings. If BfA were to have put the Allied Races in as customization options, it's hard for me to believe that people wouldn't have complained about Blizz shorting us on new races yet again. Plus, "slightly more customization" is not near as cool as "6+ new races" on the release video.

Besides, how many people even use the barber area anymore? I do occasionally, but those moments are few and far between. The Allied Races on the other hand...I get to play with new racials, hear new jokes/flirts, and watch these races work their way into the story as it progresses. None of which would happen if they were just barber shop options.

Quote Originally Posted by P5YKO-TP View Post
    No thanks.

This is a more pain in the ass than the current way.
    What? All of the stuff OP listed could be done in a couple hours at best, while leveling an alt (which is bitter for many people who don't want to actually play these alts) just for that will take a very long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlore View Post
    What's cheap about content that spans different expansions?
    Roll in with your 120, stomp the trivial shit you posted as "requirement" in like 2 hours flat - get heritage armor. Grats, now you get to look like every bloody other git in Stormwind/Orgrimmar rocking same mog because it took almost no effort to get whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Roll in with your 120, stomp the trivial shit you posted as "requirement" in like 2 hours flat - get heritage armor. Grats, now you get to look like every bloody other git in Stormwind/Orgrimmar rocking same mog because it took almost no effort to get whatsoever.
    If you restrict the requirements to a non-boosted character, that would not be possible.

I really like the idea. I think that the legacy content is vastly underused as it is, and a lot of it is beautiful etc. Would give people a reason to go back and at least see some of it.

I also like that it brings back a flavour/RPG element.

I'm sure it will have it's detractors like all ideas, and all of their points will be valid. But while most of these are easy to do, I don't see a problem with it. TBH I'd even be okay with heritage armour being harder to get (e.g Kul Tirans/Zandalari from current expansions).

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post

For real money? People cried enough about this being a cash grab even when it was completely unjustified.
    yeah, i know. but the option to earn it for free the way it is now would still be available. i just know eventually there will be more heritage armor i want. in the end all i did for an afternoon was grind the first two ICC dungeons with a tabard on, then did the quest. and the blood elf heritage quest i did felt very familiar, like the quel delar quest rehashed. so if that's the kind of crap they're going to continue to pull i'd rather pay 20 bucks and just have the transmog.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Loosecannon View Post
    I really like the idea. I think that the legacy content is vastly underused as it is, and a lot of it is beautiful etc. Would give people a reason to go back and at least see some of it.

I also like that it brings back a flavour/RPG element.

I'm sure it will have it's detractors like all ideas, and all of their points will be valid. But while most of these are easy to do, I don't see a problem with it. TBH I'd even be okay with heritage armour being harder to get (e.g Kul Tirans/Zandalari from current expansions).
    Exactly! The whole point is to use content that already exists to really engage the player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of the people hating on OP in this thread are SALTY. The way you aquire it now is boring, mind numbing, and already presents an issue if you just do a race change. While I don't have an issue with the way OP is presenting it some of them are horribly imbalanced. Dark irons would be pathetically easy compared to the other 3 he presented for instance.

It's not the best suggestion. But there needs to be other ways.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'm with you OP, these sound good. I still believe all ARs should have been added just like previous races in ex-expansions. Maybe have the reps related to them give us their racial mounts, etc.
    Be loyal to what matters - Arthur Morgan

NX Friend Code: SW-0102-0077-4738

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    yeah, i know. but the option to earn it for free the way it is now would still be available. i just know eventually there will be more heritage armor i want. in the end all i did for an afternoon was grind the first two ICC dungeons with a tabard on, then did the quest. and the blood elf heritage quest i did felt very familiar, like the quel delar quest rehashed. so if that's the kind of crap they're going to continue to pull i'd rather pay 20 bucks and just have the transmog.
    But if it's armor for a race you don't play, you don't actually want the transmog, it would be useless to you.

If it's for a race you do play, you're almost certainly already at/near exalted and it would take no time at all to obtain.

Don't fix what ain't broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Some of the people hating on OP in this thread are SALTY. The way you aquire it now is boring, mind numbing, and already presents an issue if you just do a race change. While I don't have an issue with the way OP is presenting it some of them are horribly imbalanced. Dark irons would be pathetically easy compared to the other 3 he presented for instance.

It's not the best suggestion. But there needs to be other ways.
    Bingo.

You're right, I did not do well balancing my examples. But that's why I'm not a game dev!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Don't fix what ain't broken.
    So you're ok with the current system?

15+ Year Old Account
    There's no problem with the current way of gaining heritage armor. No solution needed.
    Here is something to believe in!

i agree with this, make it harder. I am tired of having everything handed to me. Make more quest lines, achievements for all the allied races along with the max level requirement for heritage armor. Also for the tauren and void elfs, you need to do some mythics and raids, as well as a pvp arena rating.