Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    Sorry but no, under GDPR they're not the same thing. Your landlord has a legitimate reason for it, most random companies do not. That's why, if you're in the EU, you'll have been bombarded with emails and letters asking for consent to retain your data, while your landlord or GP or whoever won't have. Curse's need for your data would not be considered 'legitimate' in this instance, which is why they issued these notices.

I agree, transfer of ownership is the new normal. But now there's specific laws in place that need to be noted when those take place.
    Having dealt with GDPR procedures at work this is entirely correct. When there's an actual contract in place (such as with a landlord or a business needing it for shipping/billing) it is legitimate use of data and users won't have to explicitly consent. I guess it might be a bit muddy for users that subscribed to MMO-C premium, but Curse/Fandom is doing exactly what they need to do in the EU for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    Having dealt with GDPR procedures at work this is entirely correct. When there's an actual contract in place (such as with a landlord or a business needing it for shipping/billing) it is legitimate use of data and users won't have to explicitly consent. I guess it might be a bit muddy for users that subscribed to MMO-C premium, but Curse/Fandom is doing exactly what they need to do in the EU for everyone else.
    Premium users that did not opt in will receive a refund and have their data deleted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    Sorry but no, under GDPR they're not the same thing. Your landlord has a legitimate reason for it, most random companies do not. That's why, if you're in the EU, you'll have been bombarded with emails and letters asking for consent to retain your data, while your landlord or GP or whoever won't have. Curse's need for your data would not be considered 'legitimate' in this instance, which is why they issued these notices.

I agree, transfer of ownership is the new normal. But now there's specific laws in place that need to be noted when those take place.
    I recognize that MMO-C needed to do this, legally speaking. I'm not arguing that. I'm pointing out that these kinds of transfers of information aren't remotely new or "iffy", as people keep seeming to suggest. Particularly with how little personal info MMO-C actually has on any user.

They still need to comply, of course, but this isn't Facebook.

Ofcourse this is new. Before the GDPR they would have never asked for consent, as they didn't now for accounts outside the EU.

Transfering data isn't new. Having to get permission before doing it is.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

15+ Year Old Account
    Many people have their account name/avatar shown as deleted now. o_O
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Many people have their account name/avatar shown as deleted now. o_O
    Yeah, it's like some bizarre form of anonymous posting now, haha.

The final deletion stage is finishing up now. Access to accounts will be removed, as well as other identifying information. Barring any issues, I'll have the account recovery tool live tonight.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hmm interesting. I don't even remember pop up or getting email... then again whenever I see a pop up I usually just click "yeah whatever just go away" so maybe that saved my account? Haha :P

New account, new identity, new life I suppose :x

Quote Originally Posted by Danare View Post
    Hmm interesting. I don't even remember pop up or getting email... then again whenever I see a pop up I usually just click "yeah whatever just go away" so maybe that saved my account? Haha :P
    If you aren't in the EU, you didn't have to opt-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Danare View Post
    Your profile says you are from Canada, so you would not have been notified as that only happened for users within the Extended European Area (EEA) where the European Union's GDPR is enforced.

The account recovery tool is now available for testing. Please use the contact form if you have trouble with it. Note that the email address is case sensitive.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Your profile says you are from Canada, so you would not have been notified as that only happened for users within the Extended European Area (EEA) where the European Union's GDPR is enforced.
    Oooh I see. No wonder!

I just used the account recovery tool and got my account back!

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit Teemo Nudes View Post
    I just used the account recovery tool and got my account back!
    I've been auto logged in on my account for so long I don't even remember the email associated with it.

New account, new life.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    1. https://curseweb.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...oining-forces-

2. Not allowed, as it is PII.

3. You'll be able to reclaim your username with the account recovery tool once it's finished.
    It looks like there was a recovery/backup plan in place, then. There's far less of an issue because of this. Good to know.

It certainly doesn't make me any more comfortable with Fandom running the show, but at least this particular issue can be remedied for those it is impacting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Small note, but the EEA is the European Economic Area, not Extended European Area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got everything back with the recovery tool, thanks Chaud!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Some go a bit too far but they actually didn't do that good of a job with the information. Having the info removed with an adblocker is kinda silly. Why not just add some actual posts when they KNOW that many people use adblockers?
    For the fun of it, I checked what other emails I may have missed from MMO-C in the past. The most important one was about getting friend requests. A friend request issues a notification in the top right corner under your name. That won't get blocked by an ad block. So here we have another piece of information that gets relayed to users via both mail and on-site means. And somehow the friend request, despite being infinitely less important, is something that's showed on the site itself in a much better, more reliable way. Which is just fascinating to me.

And yet there are people defending MMO-C's choice of pop-up as the means of communicating the consent thing. Which is even more fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    For the fun of it, I checked what other emails I may have missed from MMO-C in the past. The most important one was about getting friend requests. A friend request issues a notification in the top right corner under your name. That won't get blocked by an ad block. So here we have another piece of information that gets relayed to users via both mail and on-site means. And somehow the friend request, despite being infinitely less important, is something that's showed on the site itself in a much better, more reliable way. Which is just fascinating to me.

And yet there are people defending MMO-C's choice of pop-up as the means of communicating the consent thing. Which is even more fascinating.
    Well, they fixed it now. The tool works and shit happens.