Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    You are incorrect. The TOS had various versions of the below in both US and EU regions.

Here's a blue post from 2010 including the second quote.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...151550#post-16
    Well, that's just ridiculous!

I agree, lucky for us they changed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    The in-game functionality has always just prevented it until they made the Elixir of Tongues.
    Laughs in Thalassian (void elf, blood elf), Demonic (Demon Hunters) and Pandaren. We have been able to talk cross-faction long before Elixir of Tongues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteEagle888 View Post
    With the implementation of Elixir of Tongues it can not be aginst the rules anymore to talk to the other faction directly ingame.

I can't seem to find it anymore in the revised ToS that cross-faction talk is prohibited either.

Is this rule gone for good?
    Never been against the ToS if you use the system implemented by Blizzard aka. the Elixer. Or use a Pandaren/Demon Hunter setup.

The ToU directs to what people used to do, circumvent the scrambling of language.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why we haven't been able to talk to each other, when we've seen the Races of the Horde and Alliance work together and communicate? Why do our P/C just go derp mode after handing in a quest to a Human and then when we see a Human walking down the road we can't talk to them made/makes no sense. It shouldn't even be a potion, it should just...be?

Unless they know our tongues somehow and that was never really conveyed as far as I know, but that still poses the same question, why can't we select that speech like we can select Gutterspeak or Thalassian...

But then you look at the assholes of both factions and...would you really want that much open toxicity in chat? Mmmm Questionable. Would make fun RP though
    Last edited by Evaddon; 2019-01-14 at 10:51 PM.

Language barrier has always been a stupid design anyway.

Well, that's just ridiculous!
    Probably because they were super against it in the past and it's the one thing they wanted to make sure addons didn't do

Anyway, yeah no longer against ToS

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you know what?

À 3 ƒ ƒ Ä 3 Í ƒ ƒ

15+ Year Old Account
    It's opt-in only on both sides and was mainly just implemented for roleplaying.

I don't expect it to have any noticeable impact on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    Nothing here goes against what I said... reading is hard

By default the chat doesn't allow you to communicate with opposite faction, thus your exploiting/hacking if you do. That's pretty clear...
    It isn't hacking or exploiting if you type something that translates to another thing, which is what that thread was.

Alliance Char type: hfjfkskirutpsmf

Horde see: You suck at BGs

Was this maybe an RP realm-only rule?
    If anything it seems like a pvp server issue over an RP one. RP servers actually have RP reasons to speak to each other that don't alter game play. PvP you could gain some odd advantages with cross faction conversations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varleen View Post
    Language barrier has always been a stupid design anyway.
    I really enjoyed the Pandaren somehow forgetting how to talk to each other once they picked a faction or BE and NE not being able to speak. Sure it is all video game reasons, but it is one of those things that is just flat out dumb. Never mind all the faction leaders that talk to both sides or other NPCs that work with both groups.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Yes, and all the way back in vanilla, the argument was that Forsaken used to be human. It's never made sense from an internal consistency point of view, they just did it for gameplay reasons. And now they're allowing players to circumvent those restrictions, so they should just plain open it up to everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    It never was a rule...
    Well, I don't know if it was written or not, but the first year WoW released, I used an add on called the "Universal Translator". As long as people on both factions had the addon, we could tlak to each other. All other Horde and Alliance only saw numbers, something like #45 #78 #91 #03, anyway, but it was words for the rest of us. I think it basically added a language to the game that only worked with the translator.

I was leading a raid group (I have always been called Old Zul/Zul'Gazarg in case someone else from 15 years ago recalls this) defending Nathanos at his stead from a full raid of Alliance. I brokered a deal with the Alliance using the translator, and a GM interrupted me and the Alliance guy and told us that if we did not remove that add on, we would be perma banned for talking cross faction. I deleted it and never worried about it again after that. I don't know if it was ever in the ToS, but I almost was banned for it.
    Zandalari are now the right height! https://i.imgur.com/4Tgu3K0.jpg Thank you to everyone that helped make this happen! https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...9447661?page=1

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    You are incorrect. The TOS had various versions of the below in both US and EU regions.

Here's a blue post from 2010 including the second quote.

You are the Real MVP, Thank You!
    I'll copy this to the first post as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Never been against the ToS if you use the system implemented by Blizzard aka. the Elixer. Or use a Pandaren/Demon Hunter setup.

The ToU directs to what people used to do, circumvent the scrambling of language.
    Please refer to the post above, @Schizoide found it!
    Last edited by WhiteEagle888; 2019-01-15 at 08:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are the Real MVP, Thank You!
    I'll copy this to the first post as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Please refer to the post above, @Schizoide found it!
    Aye, that is what I meant but this old version was because you could circumvent it once. Also why the whole, Cross-RP addon was a blank question, they used an opening that technically was allowed but it wasn't meant to be allowed, so technically it was against ToU.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Aye, that is what I meant but this old version was because you could circumvent it once. Also why the whole, Cross-RP addon was a blank question, they used an opening that technically was allowed but it wasn't meant to be allowed, so technically it was against ToU.
    Yep, now that it is not specifically against ToS anyomre - even using add-ons I presume is technically allowed now?

As a linguist irl, I'd redesing the entire system:

First of all I'd make the toggle more pronounced and not hidden away in the chat sub menu like it currently is.
    I'd have the language button right next to the chat button and a full fledged pop-up list with a well pronounced dark background would pop up where you can clearly see what language you are currently speaking.

I really like the EverQuest 2 system where the chat wasn't scrambled but you actually saw various runes, symbols and glyphs representing the different languages.
    Also you can learn different langiges by interacting with objects and items in EQ2

It would provide fantastic RP opportunities for WoW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfKBvFXXU9s
    Last edited by WhiteEagle888; 2019-01-15 at 09:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, now that it is not specifically against ToS anyomre - even using add-ons I presume is technically allowed now?

As a linguist irl, I'd redesing the entire system:

First of all I'd make the toggle more pronounced and not hidden away in the chat sub menu like it currently is.
    I'd have the language button right next to the chat button and a full fledged pop-up list with a well pronounced dark background would pop up where you can clearly see what language you are currently speaking.

I really like the EverQuest 2 system where the chat wasn't scrambled but you actually saw various runes, symbols and glyphs representing the different languages.
    Also you can learn different langiges by interacting with objects and items in EQ2

It would provide fantastic RP opportunities for WoW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfKBvFXXU9s
    Weeeeeell, pretty sure anything not using Blizzard's pathways are still against ToU/ToS.

Weeeeeell, pretty sure anything not using Blizzard's pathways are still against ToU/ToS.
    Yes, I believe that is still the mindset, its just that I can't find it anymore in the ToS itself xd

With the implementation of Elixir of Tongues it can not be aginst the rules anymore to talk to the other faction directly ingame.

I can't seem to find it anymore in the revised ToS that cross-faction talk is prohibited either.

We who started WoW at the beginning remember this rule.

Is it now gone for good?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old ToS:
    2. You agree that you will not: (...)
    (4) allow players who are playing characters aligned with the "Alliance" faction to chat or otherwise communicate directly with players who are playing characters aligned with the "Horde" faction, or vice versa;

Rules Related to Chat and Interaction With Other Users.
    When engaging in Chat, you may not:
    (viii) Communicate directly with players who are playing characters aligned with the opposite faction (e.g. Horde communicating with Alliance or vice versa)

Blue Post regarding the issue:

Why was talking to someone in another faction against the rules? Did they mean as Horde, I cannot talk to my Alliance RL friend over messenger?

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    You couldn't talk via game modules like chat etc. This was because back in classic pvp was very ganky at times and obviously if it was easy to talk cross faction the amounts of abuse going back and forth would make the game extremely toxic.
    Man, have times changed...

Now, people talking to their own faction in regards to PVP is just as bad as you would think someone would be towards someone who just ganked them.