Stolen from Twitter, I absolutely and unironically agree.

Andrew Jackson rolled a massive cheese wheel into the White House & had people come off the street to gouge chunks off it for themselves- yet the decorum pundits who wish they were in Victorian England will gasp- as if a McDonalds platter is not pure iconic americana.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    In the sense that putting some thought and effort into hospitality from the highest office in the land is "Victorian English".

That's why the cheese wheel was considered a creative and thoughtful spin, and not McDonalds.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Here's a question: Trump has that amazing hotel not too far from the White House. Surely that hotel has cooking staff that aren't furloughed, right? Surely he could just like, call them up (or have Don Jr. do it) and ask them to cater this event, right? Surely he'd get a "good deal" on the catering and would be able to generously cover the costs for these national champions.

Right?
    He little could've went down the street and found the local rib man (thats not just something in House of Cards) to throw a BBQ. Giving people jobs, making himself look like an 'everyman' an entertaining the team at the same time. Tons of clout. Huge clout!

Its just shows how out of touch and how much of an ass he is, politics aside. This shutdown makes him look more and more worse than the elitist caricature they painted of Obama and Clinton,

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Here is the thing though, this is really nothing to apologize about, lots of presidents have done similar things. FDR served the King of England hot dogs, rather famously. Nixon served burgers regularly, but they were by all accounts really good. Reagan was well known for serving mac and cheese, and of course he always had jelly beans on the table. Bush served pizza to all sorts of foreign guests. In fact pretty much every President serves "Low Brow" food quite frequently, it is all part of the delicate balancing act that American Presidents must balance. We like them to act better then us, but also like us. They can't be seen as patrician (Dijon Mustard!) or classless (Tan Suit!).

Now granted, this is the first time I have heard of literal fast food in the white house, but I suppose when you write your name in solid gold letters 20 foot high, you have to balance it out somehow.

edit: I forgot Bill Clinton somehow... he was rather famous for eating Fast Food over Hillary's objections. They even did SNL skits about it.
    I think your read here is all wrong. Serving a hot dog, a burger, a pizza, etc. to foreign dignitaries is an American thing to do, as it is an introduction to American fare and serves to demonstrate that the president is a commoner and not an aristocrat (not that going to the 9’s doesn’t happen). However, in the case of a domestic visit to the White House the expectation is the opposite, what is to be served should not be common fare, but it should be a lavish meal provided by the extraordinary means afforded to the president. Instead of getting a once in a lifetime meal they get fast food they could buy with the change found in their cars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wendy looks so devastated on the wrappers. Not her usual smiling self. More like "Dave's been drinking again. He does that alot since Mom died. Oh shit, the door is opening....smile...act like it's fun..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Remember when Obama gave a foreign dignitary a stack of movies DVDs and the Republicans lost their shit?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    I read on the WH fast food feast thread on Reddit the other day something that struck me as profound. It's almost like someone wished for "The PERFECT American President" on a monkeypaw in 2015 and Trump is the result. It hits the nail on the head in that Trump resembles the absolute worst of what America is, the greed, the excess, the debauchery, the white collar criminal, the phony Christianity, being loud and ignorant, etc.. Like every stereotype made flesh.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    I read on the WH fast food feast thread on Reddit the other day something that struck me as profound. It's almost like someone wished for "The PERFECT American President" on a monkeypaw in 2015 and Trump is the result. It hits the nail on the head in that Trump resembles the absolute worst of what America is, the greed, the excess, the debauchery, the white collar criminal, the phony Christianity, being loud and ignorant, etc.. Like every stereotype made flesh.
    Very, very true.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...59285208858624

Great being with the National Champion Clemson Tigers last night at the White House. Because of the Shutdown I served them massive amounts of Fast Food (I paid), over 1000 hamberders etc. Within one hour, it was all gone. Great guys and big eaters!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Remember when Obama gave a foreign dignitary a stack of movies DVDs and the Republicans lost their shit?
    He got the Queen of England a ZUNE!!!!!!!
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Providing a buffet of cold and soggy burgers to own the libs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Providing a buffet of cold and soggy hamberders to own the libs.
    Fixed that for Trump.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Jackson's successor had a hell of a time getting the stink out of the White House.

I also unironically agree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Fixed that for Trump.
    Ermergerd Hamberders

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    So Jackson wasn't just a giant pile of shit, he also smelled like a giant pile of shit? Good to know.

Ivanka Trump will play a role in helping to select the next head of the World Bank, the White House said https://t.co/71qPsTz7Wh
    Enough of fast food talk and back to the reality of the shitshow. Yes, Ivanka is not solely picking the possible new head of the World Bank, but the nepotism of her with no qualifications is amazing.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Enough of fast food talk and back to the reality of the shitshow. Yes, Ivanka is not solely picking the possible new head of the World Bank, but the nepotism of her with no qualifications is amazing.
    WTF.

She wasn't elected. This isn't a monarchy. She should not have a role in government.
    Putin khuliyo

Hamburger, the one word on earth I was confident he'd be able to spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Damn you monkey paw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Does "play a role" in this context mean wearing a sash and announcing the new head like it's Sale of the Century?

- - - Updated - - -

Because he literally couldn't get rid of it lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Here's a question: Trump has that amazing hotel not too far from the White House. Surely that hotel has cooking staff that aren't furloughed, right? Surely he could just like, call them up (or have Don Jr. do it) and ask them to cater this event, right? Surely he'd get a "good deal" on the catering and would be able to generously cover the costs for these national champions.

Right?
    Trump Hotel is only for paying ambassadors looking to curry favour.

http://time.com/donald-trumps-suite-of-power/
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.fed6ce203f94
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

WTF.

She wasn't elected. This isn't a monarchy. She should not have a role in government.
    Just reminder to myself, some reports that "wait for it", might be a conflict of interest especially with Jared Kushner's business dealings. Yes we should all be shocked.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    WTF.

It is illegal for her to have a role in government.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/3110
    A public official may not appoint, employ, promote, advance, or advocate for appointment, employment, promotion, or advancement, in or to a civilian position in the agency in which he is serving or over which he exercises jurisdiction or control any individual who is a relative of the public official. An individual may not be appointed, employed, promoted, or advanced in or to a civilian position in an agency if such appointment, employment, promotion, or advancement has been advocated by a public official, serving in or exercising jurisdiction or control over the agency, who is a relative of the individual.
    But having laws is something the Republicans work tirelessly against.

(I mean in the sense of having rule of law, equality before the law, and a justice system that tries to be just and improve things for everyone. They're perfectly fine with twisted laws like "it's okay for Republicans to do what they want" or "Republicans can throw people who they don't like in cages".)
    Impeach the MF.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FeedsOnDevTears View Post
    It is illegal for her to have a role in government.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/3110

But having laws is something the Republicans work tirelessly against.

(I mean in the sense of having rule of law, equality before the law, and a justice system that tries to be just and improve things for everyone. They're perfectly fine with twisted laws like "it's okay for Republicans to do what they want" or "Republicans can throw people who they don't like in cages".)
    Sigh.

Add it to the pile of broken and ignored laws.

Party of Law and Order amirite?

Or maybe they were talking about the TV show when they said that . . .
    Putin khuliyo