Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Name an old sitcom you discovered

Anybody else feel like the sitcoms of today are trash? I'm 32, and every sitcom on TV to me is just awful, so naturally I watch re-runs of syndicated sitcoms I know of and loved growing up (Married with Children, Boy Meets World, Third Rock from the Sun, That 70's Show, Everybody Hates Chris, etc.) However, I recently got an antenna and started watching Laff... and discovered actually not one, but TWO sitcoms from the 80's that I never knew of, nor watched growing up.

Night Court and Welcome Back, Kotter.

Great sitcoms I never even heard about until 6 months ago and now I'm following religiously. They're very well written and incredibly funny. Anyone ever discover an old sitcom as an adult that you're amazed never caught your attention before?

10+ Year Old Account
    Blackadder
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Sitcoms in general are shit. Most of them try to appeal to the widest demographic range possible and so the "jokes" are all aimed at the Lowest Common Denominator of all those demographics. The best sitcoms are the ones that go after a very specific demographic..but they never get the ratings the major networks require so they tend to get cancelled quickly. Occasionally one of the smaller networks will put something decent on...but most people will never even hear about those shows.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Startrek:TNG
    I enjoyed it quite abit tbh.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel2 View Post
    Startrek:TNG
    I enjoyed it quite abit tbh.
    That's not a sitco-

...well shit, it is a sitcom isn't it?

Not *old* per say

But, My Name is Earl is an amazing show/sitcom

The it crowd
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The Wonder Years is amazing and it has a great soundtrack and was groundbreaking at the time for using a narrator to explain what was happening at the time and what he was thinking.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Re-discovered The Fresh Prince.
    I can tell that i'm getting to old for that show. Back then i would have laughed more often but nowadays i side more and more with Uncle Phil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think most of the more talented comedy writers now gravitate towards single camera comedy series and most sitcoms take zero chances in order to appeal to the most broad demographics. Chances are you would never see a sitcom like Married with Children today. Instead there is stuff like Bojack Horseman that more parodies sitcoms.

Cannot think of anything I recently discovered per say. There have been a couple of british sitcoms that I had heard of before but never actually watched, namely The Young Ones and Faulty Towers. I was really amazed to find that even though both these series are pretty widely known and fondly remembered, both only ran for two seasons for a total of just 12 episodes each. Then again what is easily one of my favorite comedies of all time, Spaced, only ran for 14 episodes. That is just how British TV series seem to work.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    That's not a sitco-

...well shit, it is a sitcom isn't it?
    tbh im not entirely sure if it counts as a sitcom. It has the feeling of a sitcom at least

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really "discovered" since it's arguably one of if not the most popular sitcoms ever but I only recently watched Friends. I enjoyed it in that 90s/early 2000s cheesy way but I know its as cliche as some of the worst sitcoms of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Anybody else feel like the sitcoms of today are trash? I'm 32, and every sitcom on TV to me is just awful, so naturally I watch re-runs of syndicated sitcoms I know of and loved growing up (Married with Children, Boy Meets World, Third Rock from the Sun, That 70's Show, Everybody Hates Chris, etc.) However, I recently got an antenna and started watching Laff... and discovered actually not one, but TWO sitcoms from the 80's that I never knew of, nor watched growing up.

Night Court and Welcome Back, Kotter.

Great sitcoms I never even heard about until 6 months ago and now I'm following religiously. They're very well written and incredibly funny. Anyone ever discover an old sitcom as an adult that you're amazed never caught your attention before?
    Its all trash from this decade. We only watch old shows here with my wife and kids. Even the game shows were miles ahead. Especially here in Australia back when we had the aussie spirit and culture on TV it was always comfy to watch. 'Its a Knockout' was a great aussie show with aussie humor (it was in uk too).

Give these 2 shows a try - 'Whose line is it anyway?' A really comfy show from the 50's and 60's where a panel of personalities have to guess the guests occupation using a limited format of questions. The last guest for each show was usually a celebrity or sports star of some sort.

The Dating Game is another good one, but it wasn't too long until the lads took control and were basically just hooking up roots for their mates on it.

The newlywed game show with Bob Eubanks was one of our favorites too from the 70's
    I know you asked for sitcoms but I think you will like these too. Its quite easy to find out the 70's 80's and 90's shows. Personally my favorites was drew carey show, family matters and married with children.

I recently started watching through Newhart, which is a show I never watched when young, and it's pretty fun.

Other sitcoms that I am watching right now that I did watch when they were on TV originally:
    Cosby Show
    Alf
    Golden Girls

15+ Year Old Account
    Alf
    Married with Children
    All in the Family
    Frasier
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

There are quite a few shows that my parents watched when I was younger that were just background noise as I played with Power Ranger action figures, but now that I'm an adult I find them very funny.

To name a few: Night Court, Coach, Everybody Loves Raymond, MASH, Cheers, and Frasier.

Some other good ones that I watched when I was younger were, of course, TGIF sitcoms. Family Matters, Full House, Step-by-Step (which is a poor man's Full House, but still fun), Sabrina the Teenage Witch, etc.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Welcome Back, Kotter was a 70s sitcom.

Sanford and Son, I’d heard about it and a few jokes from it, but I never saw it til I was 19.
    Oh yeah, d'uh, should have remembered it since John Travolta is in it and he broke out in the 70's. Even the dialogue and fashion screams 70's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    The Wonder Years is amazing and it has a great soundtrack and was groundbreaking at the time for using a narrator to explain what was happening at the time and what he was thinking.
    Oh yeah, forgot Wonder Years!! Now that I think about it, Wonder Years was so well-written, it did seem more like, I don't know, a TV coming of age drama than sitcom. But I'm pretty sure it qualifies as a sitcom and it was indeed a great show.

My 2 favorites will always be King of Queens and Everybody Loves Raymond. I grew up with these two, just my kind of humor too.

My Hero (UK TV series)
    Really good
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Storing crap in a hole is pretty easy and efficient.

M*A*S*H is pretty good.