Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Things you wish you knew when you started?

Hey guys! We would like to start a new video series on helping new players out, and we hope to get some ideas from you guys what are some things you guys wished to know when you started. Hopefully the videos will help people out

Thank you in advance!

If you guys would like a chance to win some free gold and help us out with the video series ideas, go on Youtube and search up *snip* Comment on the video to get a chance to win some free gold Happy New Year.

Much Love <3
    Last edited by Edge-; 2019-01-17 at 05:58 PM.

There are videos out there but some of the easier ones to search don't really talk up farming, salvaging and crafting as much as they should. Also, there are plenty of videos of professions and specs (as well as snowcrows and metabattle) but none really go too much over good leveling builds, most seem to talk about different situations at 80. That said, maybe a quick section showing a good build for each for surviving and damage if leveling solo.

Edit: Just thought of a couple more
    1. Races - didn't even discover specific racial abilities until after I hit 80, this could affect how one determines what race they want to play. I don't think there are any OP racials, but still cool things in some races.

2. Story mode - Choosing which faction you want to rep also changes a little. When leveling I just blindly selected vigil and didn't realize that it changes how you get to the end of the original story. Makes for good info when leveling alts so you can see everything if story matters to them.
    Last edited by wilster; 2019-01-04 at 10:07 PM.

Right clicking salvage kits lets you select an option to salvage by rarity.

Right clicking a bunch of bags opens them all and the same with consumables. I think this was added later but I didn't learn about it until later on.
    Click my referral link for 7 days of free sub time to SWTOR and a starter package: http://www.swtor.com/r/mZNBRj
    Thank you for any referrals!

Aren't all of those "comment and like for giveaway" things total scams? Haven't people been doing that to bait little kids into watching their garbage Fortnite videos?

10+ Year Old Account
    I only wish I knew the manifesto was a complete lie and that the game would be literally nothing like the original guild wars, then I wouldn't have hated it for so long.

Trash sequel, decent MMO in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I only wish I knew the manifesto was a complete lie and that the game would be literally nothing like the original guild wars, then I wouldn't have hated it for so long.

Trash sequel, decent MMO in general.
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/g...ign-manifesto/

?

The first thing you should know about Guild Wars 2 is that, this time around, there’s no question that it’s an MMORPG. It’s an enormous, persistent, living, social world, filled with a wide variety of combat and non-combat activities. There’s so much depth here that you’re never going to run out of new things to discover.
    Yup, this is on point. GW1 was scaled down for a MMO, but GW2 is a more proper, open world MMO. Seamless worlds are not required for this.

It sometimes feels like our industry has thrown the baby out with the bathwater. When you play an RPG, you want to experience a compelling and memorable storyline. You want your choices to matter. You want your actions to leave their mark on the world. Let’s start demanding those things of MMOs too.
    Well, this was a part of the base game but something they moved away from over time due to the complexities of player choice in a MMO narrative. It's unfortunate and I guess this is a "lie" if we're being generous, but this is also the nature of online games. They change over time as the creative vision evolves and the studio pivots and responds to player feedback and requests. They know that folks miss some of the old choices they used to have and have discussed why they don't do them anymore.

MMOs are social games. So why do they sometimes seem to work so hard to punish you for playing with other players? If I’m out hunting and another player walks by, shouldn’t I welcome his help, rather than worrying that he’s going to steal my kills or consume all the mobs I wanted to kill? Or if I want to play with someone, shouldn’t we naturally have the same goals and objectives, rather than discovering that we’re in the same area but working on a different set of quests?
    Well...yup. Grouping is still an overwhelmingly beneficial and largely easy to do thing. This is still super on-point for all open world content.

Finally, since combat is such a core part of the gameplay of any MMO, we’ve put a lot of emphasis into rethinking combat. So much of traditional MMO combat is rote and repetitive. You execute the same strategy over and over again, just augmented over time with better and better gear. After a while it starts to feel like you’re playing a spreadsheet. Combat needs to be about making creative choices, and it needs to feel immediate, active, and visceral. So we’ve put a huge focus on strengthening our combat, giving the player limitless choices, and providing the thrill and joy of being in combat.
    You can argue one way or the other they missed this in that there are rotations/priority systems for classes, but they still have a pretty legit combat setup (outside of some absurd VFX) and a pretty flexible trait system that's expanded in terms of allowing players to do more roles or do them differently rather than just straight power gains. Even their comments about the combo system are still on point as ability combinations are still something that matters.

Out of curiosity, what do you view to be the lies in this?

10+ Year Old Account
    What about the "GW2 takes everything you love about GW1 and brings it into a fully persistent world" lol. That manifesto was just PR, literally nothing more or less. Usually I would take such things with a grain of salt but I was such a ANet fanboy at the time I ate it all up just like they intended. To be fair, at this point ANet was so big most all the good devs left the company and had nothing to do with GW so its not even those dudes fault.

To me GW2 is simply another generic MMO with less grind and that is why I even play it, I don't have to grind to pvp and MMO pvp has gotten so bad all around that it's dead no matter what game you're playing so may as well play the one with no grind in it. The reason for this is the same mistake ANet made, accessibility. Everyone is doing it and it's killing unique fun gameplay because gods forbid we require a certain role or you have to use your prefrontal cortex. It's much easier to give everyone 3 button rotations and not require any roles.

I loved the "I swung a sword" quote and then GW2 turns out to have the most powerful autoattack of any MMO ever making that all anyone ever did in open world. Wow, that sure isn't "swinging a sword again" huh. Anyway my issue was never with combat in its earlier development, but the incredible lack of build diversity that still exists compared to GW1.

GW1 had good pvp modes too, where GW2 does not. It has decent pvp, but no one fucking likes playing circle wars for 6 years yet the way they designed their cancerous anti-trinity (even tho it exists in pve now) it pretty much guarantee we will never get any unique pvp modes like GvG which was the most fun pvpers had in GW1. No GvG in Guild Wars is a fuckin joke, and don't hit me with the retarded hurr durr lore excuse of that's not why GW is called GW. I won't even bother touching on all the other great modes, just know there were many.

They made some obvious bad design choices in early development and were so invested by release that they can't even go back on them now, and it limits the game so dramatically it will never be as epic as GW or ever give you anywhere near the freedom of build choice or gameplay. Forever playing 1 single pvp mode because trinity was too scary for them.. that was the most heart breaking to any GW pvper.

Having thousands of skills to equip is not the same as freedom of choice in builds.
    They did divert from the GW1 gameplay feeling, i don't think anyone can deny that. But they built a pretty sturdy MMO based on the same lore.
    The biggest and most hurtful lie was omitting the Guld Wars in Guild wars, but if one can cope with that, it's actually a great game.

p.s. If one wants PvP without grind, why not play something without some kind of character development? I always thought having some kind of gear or character based advantage which increases with playtime defeats the thought of being better then your opponents.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    p.s. If one wants PvP without grind, why not play something without some kind of character development? I always thought having some kind of gear or character based advantage which increases with playtime defeats the thought of being better then your opponents.
    Because your only other choice is moba or cod lol and the first GW was revolutionary in the way it allowed balanced pvp without massive grind.

The 2nd sentence really confuses me, not sure your point.

No endgame content, the "no carrot on a stick"-crap was code for "unless you give immense amounts of fucks about cosmetics, you won't need to play past max level".

I haven't played the game in a number of years, but the fact that they've introduced mounts and seem to have made popular changes makes me want to try it again. Especially now that I have a more powerful setup and can perhaps view the game in all its glory. I still maintain that it's one of if not the most gorgeous MMORPGs ever to come onto the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    No endgame content, the "no carrot on a stick"-crap was code for "unless you give immense amounts of fucks about cosmetics, you won't need to play past max level".
    Which is annoying since cosmetics can be so restricted. They moved to making more outfits in the store which are all one piece and don't let you mix and match. Also look at medium armour being 98% trench coats. It's embarrassing.

OT: Same reason as above really. Though the only way they can make repeatable content outside of cosmetics and content is by making maps or events good for farming gold, which just fucks up the economy even more. Game doesn't have enough frequent content to warrant playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post

I haven't played the game in a number of years, but the fact that they've introduced mounts and seem to have made popular changes makes me want to try it again. Especially now that I have a more powerful setup and can perhaps view the game in all its glory. I still maintain that it's one of if not the most gorgeous MMORPGs ever to come onto the market.
    Mounts are good. Really good. They actually each serve a pretty specific function (at least for the base mounts, gryphon is more a "general" mount with some bonus flight and beetle is a little speed demon) other than "go slightly faster" so they feel like they have a purpose for existing in gameplay.

I decided to relog on GW2 a while ago (i did a 1year break or so) and i was completely lost in terms of "gearing"
    I had no idea where to go nor where the best gear was.

So...i would like help knowing where is the best gear, what should i do and where to go.

I know i was just being lazy not being informed...so i just jumped to PvP and had fun there

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post

The 2nd sentence really confuses me, not sure your point.
    Why would you need tangible power increases like better equipment, higher levels, whatever, if the goal is to prove that you can play better than your opponents?
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    I decided to relog on GW2 a while ago (i did a 1year break or so) and i was completely lost in terms of "gearing"
    I had no idea where to go nor where the best gear was.

So...i would like help knowing where is the best gear, what should i do and where to go.

I know i was just being lazy not being informed...so i just jumped to PvP and had fun there
    What class? What build? What kind of content are you looking to do?

https://metabattle.com/

I usually use Metabattle to get "direction" on a build in terms of trait choice, gear stats and sigils etc., but I'll often tweak them a bit to better fit my playstyle. Dunno how "optimal" all the builds are, but at least for open world (heh, anything works for that) and dungeon/fractal content it's been working just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    What class? What build? What kind of content are you looking to do?

https://metabattle.com/

I usually use Metabattle to get "direction" on a build in terms of trait choice, gear stats and sigils etc., but I'll often tweak them a bit to better fit my playstyle. Dunno how "optimal" all the builds are, but at least for open world (heh, anything works for that) and dungeon/fractal content it's been working just fine.
    I was a Thief
    And i had no idea where was the content thats basically it.
    If this site helps, thank you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    I was a Thief
    And i had no idea where was the content thats basically it.
    If this site helps, thank you
    That annoys me about the game even if it's my main MMORPG. Returning players really aren't given much direction.

Don't be afraid to ask questions in game, GW2 players love to show off the game to new players.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That Warrior is a Trash class.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    That annoys me about the game even if it's my main MMORPG. Returning players really aren't given much direction.
    Man, I'd love to see more games do what Division did. They have a great popup with at least information about the most recent update for player logging in, letting them know brief details about major changes/additions so they can look up more details or at least have a general idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Thanks. I'm still feeling my way in GW2. I have all the expansions but have never leveled to endgame yet. I don't play often enough to remember what I was doing last time. I need to rectify that. Metabattle should help.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."