Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Thoughts on making Zen Flight into a slowfall?

Hey, I’ve had something that bugs me consistently with Windwalker, and it’s the fact that they are the most susceptible spec to fall damage, despite what the name or theme may suggest. Questing with friends? “Yeah just jump off here, it’s a shortcut” and they blink, disengage, leap, slowfall, levitate, glide, etc - You get the idea, but you are left to take a huge chunk of damage, smaller if you’re a pandaren I suppose, but nevertheless.

I’m here to gauge whether or not people feel it’d be appropriate to modify Zen Flight, our flavour spell, to be a slow fall that works as a standard Mage’s Slow Fall, or perhaps even more like the Demon Hunter’s Glide, when we’re in an area in which we cannot fly. I feel it would fit nicely with the theme, and it would give Zen Flight a little more use, without being over the top. Thoughts?

I'm also understanding of just how niche and a bit of a non-issue this is, but I figure it still may be something worth sharing and talking about.

I've already posted on the official EU Forum's monk section, but I'm unable post links using a new account.

I've already sent suggestions of this to blizzard years ago. I doubt they will ever do it.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Just use Zen Flight in one of the many flight-enabled areas they've added this expansion. /s

10+ Year Old Account
    there was a bug for a little bit where you could Zen Flight in KT/Zandalar but they quickly and quietly hotfixed it.

I just wish they'd make it so Zen Flight scaled to your riding skill flight speed.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    I've already sent suggestions of this to blizzard years ago. I doubt they will ever do it.
    Do you think it's a matter of asking in the right place at the right time, or do they just feel there's a lack of demand/interest by the players? I can't figure out why they themselves wouldn't want to add a slow fall ability, other than not wanting to spare the time to tweak the code.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    there was a bug for a little bit where you could Zen Flight in KT/Zandalar but they quickly and quietly hotfixed it.

I just wish they'd make it so Zen Flight scaled to your riding skill flight speed.
    The scaling thing for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Boswollocks View Post
    Do you think it's a matter of asking in the right place at the right time, or do they just feel there's a lack of demand/interest by the players? I can't figure out why they themselves wouldn't want to add a slow fall ability, other than not wanting to spare the time to tweak the code.
    They don't seem to want to give monks any kind of utility at all. Especially Windwalker.

They don't seem to want to give monks any kind of utility at all. Especially Windwalker.
    I'd be hard pressed to even call this utility, it mostly errs on the side of quality of life. If it were something that would impact others, like the Windwalking aura granting reduced fall damage to those affected, I'd then be happy calling it utility.
    Adding in a personal slow fall isn't something that could alter m+ or raid compositions, and I feel if this change could do that, that would be the point I'd feel like I was pushing my luck.

I'm just trying to genuinely rationalize things, and understand whether they have considered it, if they do or don't feel it's appropriate, and why or why not.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would rather they just made it a real mount only for monks

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    Would rather they just made it a real mount only for monks
    they arent going to. it is and liklely will always be, a neat little thing monks get that other classes dont. its instant cast and can save you when falling (in a flight enabled area that is)

thats all.

I'd be hard pressed to even call this utility, it mostly errs on the side of quality of life. If it were something that would impact others, like the Windwalking aura granting reduced fall damage to those affected, I'd then be happy calling it utility.
    Adding in a personal slow fall isn't something that could alter m+ or raid compositions, and I feel if this change could do that, that would be the point I'd feel like I was pushing my luck.

I'm just trying to genuinely rationalize things, and understand whether they have considered it, if they do or don't feel it's appropriate, and why or why not.
    utility, QoL, they don't want us to have anything cool. Blizzard removed WW having a spammable aoe, made WQs extremely hard when a lot of people are there. They changed RJW to be a continuous effect, awesome QoL change. It only lasted one patch before they nerfed it into dust.

Zen Flight used to actually be fantastic QoL in MoP. We could use it to gather and use quest items without "demounting". That didn't even make it to the end of MoP before they made it that damage breaks the cloud. I'm shocked I can still fish from it.
    Last edited by Pandragon; 2019-01-19 at 11:23 PM.

It should just behave like levitate when you're in a non-flight area. You get a slow fall and you can walk over water with it (which could be useful for fishing).

- - - Updated - - -

utility, QoL, they don't want us to have anything cool. Blizzard removed WW having a spammable aoe, made WQs extremely hard when a lot of people are there. They changed RJW to be a continuous effect, awesome QoL change. It only lasted one patch before they nerfed it into dust.

Zen Flight used to actually be fantastic QoL in MoP. We could use it to gather and use quest items without "demounting". That didn't even make it to the end of MoP before they made it that damage breaks the cloud. I'm shocked I can still fish from it.
    Yeah like what the heck, what's even the point of RJW now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post

I was really hoping that it wasn't a bug. I mean it wasn't even op (because you were still slow).
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2019-01-19 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Yeah like what the heck, what's even the point of RJW at this point?
    It's only point now is world quests. Hit one mob, pop RJW and rush through everything you can in 12 seconds(2 casts of it from the 2 chi from TP). Or Energizing Elixir to prepare for it.

Is it still a painfully slow movement speed or is it now on par with mounts?

It would be so cool to hav zen flight be an instant cast mount speed thing. Like...real flavor to the class.

But i think that would be too op....i mean come on, an instant spell that looks awesome fits the class style and acts as a mount? the must be op right?...right? looking at you druid

But seriously that's not the reason why it's not going to happen. It would be fun and apparently if we find something funny in the game that's not intended by blizzard were having fun the wrong way and that for it'S going to get fixed.
    Last edited by swatsonqt; 2019-01-24 at 01:41 PM.

Eh, I hated the continous RJW and am glad it's gone. It was super boring, and slowed down our gameplay. Granted I don't think the new version is especially fun (especially compared to BrM version), but it should be better now that we will have more resources than in Uldir since haste is better and the extra traits that can give us resources.

Quote Originally Posted by swatsonqt View Post
    But i think that would be too op....i mean come on, an instant spell that looks awesome fits the class style and acts as a mount? the must be op right?...right? looking at you druid
    yeah, let give eveyone instant flying mount! so much flavor!

Quote Originally Posted by swatsonqt View Post
    But seriously that's not the reason why it's not going to happen. It would be fun and apparently if we find something funny in the game that's not intended by blizzard were having fun the wrong way and that for it'S going to get fixed.
    bugs need to be fixed whether you like them or not
    @Topic
    It could have just a levitate effect in no fly zones and combat, don't see much wrong with it. It's still quite unique and useful utility. However making it a plain mount is the point i sat STHAP. It would then deem to loose every other utility is has.

Quote Originally Posted by Beingbob View Post
    Eh, I hated the continous RJW and am glad it's gone. It was super boring, and slowed down our gameplay. Granted I don't think the new version is especially fun (especially compared to BrM version), but it should be better now that we will have more resources than in Uldir since haste is better and the extra traits that can give us resources.
    The new RJW is almost completely useless though. The old version was excellent for catching rogues/druids (that's a big deal for me, since I'm playing a lot of war mode and bg's... and there's nothing more annoying than when I know that a rogue is sneaking around me, but there's no way to put him out of stealth). And for AOE dmg it's also super weird, because both RJW and your spinning crane kick cost chi

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, I’ve had something that bugs me consistently with Windwalker, and it’s the fact that they are the most susceptible spec to fall damage, despite what the name or theme may suggest. Questing with friends? “Yeah just jump off here, it’s a shortcut” and they blink, disengage, leap, slowfall, levitate, glide, etc - You get the idea, but you are left to take a huge chunk of damage, smaller if you’re a pandaren I suppose, but nevertheless.

I’m here to gauge whether or not people feel it’d be appropriate to modify Zen Flight, our flavour spell, to be a slow fall that works as a standard Mage’s Slow Fall, or perhaps even more like the Demon Hunter’s Glide, when we’re in an area in which we cannot fly. I feel it would fit nicely with the theme, and it would give Zen Flight a little more use, without being over the top. Thoughts?

I'm also understanding of just how niche and a bit of a non-issue this is, but I figure it still may be something worth sharing and talking about.

I've already posted on the official EU Forum's monk section, but I'm unable post links using a new account.
    Been asking for it for years. Also, FSK and Chi Torpedo should be useable in air/while falling, don't know why a gust a wind/chi propelling you forward only works when there is ground below you.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Blizzard has not fixed zen pilgrimage yet; a QoL change for zen flight is like a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.