Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    The smart way to do it is direct deposit into your account like in Canada then no one knows any of your business, why would they still use an archaic system like that? How far behind the rest of the world is the US?
    Used to be like that, but was stopped due to how badly abused it was by frauds... such as getting money while living abroad. Now you have to get it in person unless under exceptional circumstances.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    The smart way to do it is direct deposit into your account like in Canada then no one knows any of your business, why would they still use an archaic system like that? How far behind the rest of the world is the US?
    The problem with that is if it goes into your debit account, they have no say or control what you spend those funds on. And believe me, there are PLENTY of people that would spend it on cigarettes and booze in a heartbeat.

Most states these days use a debit style card with the funds that will only be useable for the appropriate items. Sadly, cashiers can generally still see what card it is. Which is why when I was on foodstamps (because I was unemployed and broke for a while) i used the self-checkout. But, then again, I also had pride issues.

Of course a big part of the issue is that each state manages its own welfare programs.

Thats pretty dumb because then they can use it on alcohol/cigaretes/drugs and not on you know food

It's pretty wrong of the cashier. I will say that when I worked retail I got tired of seeing people on food stamps come in and dump $100 on soda, cookies, and candy. If you need benefits to get by I understand that and I'm cool with luxuries or snacks once in awhile, but my tax dollars shouldn't go towards people loading up on junk food just so I can pay more taxes down the road when they have to get their diabetes/heart disease/etc. treated on Medicaid.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

There should be a special checkout for people with food stamps as not to hold up other shoppers. It is unfair and inconsiderate to use a regular till.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Yes, there are many jobs involved in enrollment, disbursing etc. You think they would vote for a simplified system?
    There has to be a better way, but i dont think ill see anything changed in my lifetime....truly sad...

The cashier said all the right things. Had I been there I would have given her a high five.... that's assuming the story is true and not fabricated to rile up liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    Not a very nice guy.
    It was not a very nice girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I'm on SSI (like disability) and this is how it's done. As far as I know I have no restrictions, the money is mine to do as I please, but for specific things like food stamps which are meant to be used on food/groceries, I can see why it would be this way.

OT: Fuck this dick, hope he gets fired. You don't treat customers (especially not asshole ones) like this.
    It was a cunt, not a dick.

Read the thread mostly to find people who would automatically assume that the asshole cashier was a man, since only men are assholes and women are angels. Was not disappointed
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.